• leni1us
    leni1us Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    3/12 - 10,882
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,267 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I feel like I am weakest when I get around family and snack (usually cheese and crackers) and maybe have a glass of wine. I know that’s ok, but I do revert to my old self of mindlessly stuffing food in my mouth without keeping track completely of how much went in. Same is true for chips/salsa/guacamole at Mexican restaurants. Then, afterwards I regret that I wasn’t mindful.

I haven’t been terrible, but have been feeling a bit off track this past week. Not exercising as much (ever since my super great week of gym visits). Yesterday I ate two cookies and pizza has been on the menu a lot this week.

Do you ever get tired of logging food? I know it’s absolutely necessary for me to be successful, but sometimes I can feel myself rebelling.

Oh and @BMcC9, almost all of the above at some point. Almost always crunchy/salty, many times creamy, and sweets at my weakest (and most likely hormonal) moments.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,137 Member
    Options
    micki48 wrote: »
    I feel like I am weakest when I get around family and snack (usually cheese and crackers) and maybe have a glass of wine. I know that’s ok, but I do revert to my old self of mindlessly stuffing food in my mouth without keeping track completely of how much went in. Same is true for chips/salsa/guacamole at Mexican restaurants. Then, afterwards I regret that I wasn’t mindful.

I haven’t been terrible, but have been feeling a bit off track this past week. Not exercising as much (ever since my super great week of gym visits). Yesterday I ate two cookies and pizza has been on the menu a lot this week.

Do you ever get tired of logging food? I know it’s absolutely necessary for me to be successful, but sometimes I can feel myself rebelling.

Oh and @BMcC9, almost all of the above at some point. Almost always crunchy/salty, many times creamy, and sweets at my weakest (and most likely hormonal) moments.

Tired of logging food? You are singing my song. I get SO tired of it. I stop for a while, then go back because it really works. It's easier now that I'm not working full time and so many of my foods are repeats, so the logging goes faster. I also find on MFP that logging on the mobile app works much better than on the website. For other things, I prefer the web, but for logging, not.

I rebel all the time about logging, but always get back to it. Makes me crazy. I tend to stop logging when I know it isn't looking good. I also hate to step on a scale when I have been eating less wisely. LA LA LA LA LA, I sing with my hands over my ears and eyes. Uh huh. Useless rebelling. So I weighed myself this morning after 3 weeks of free-wheeling. And I started logging yesterday. back on my best behaviour... Why do we do this?

Uh oh. This is turning into Whiny Wednesday!!! I'll stop now.
  • jugar
    Options
    Thanks @BMcC9.. Not quitting, no way! I think the whole being in a tough situation just got me a bit down. I’m still having some anxiety at night. So I am eating again later in day which calms me. Since no alcohol allowed ever again!

Stopping evening eating really the one key to it because that’s generally the less healthy food..

Thinking again about your post today.. so although I need to stop eating at night, I am going to think about how to break that down in smaller steps and do one step at a time, if I can't figure out a way to go cold turkey.

Thanks again @BMcC9!

In addition to @BMcC9 's fantastic ideas, another WHY to ask is what you get from eating in the evening. Is it a chance to sit down and relax with your feet up? It helps you take deep breaths and sigh? What is great about it? If you keep thinking it is horrible, you don't explore what is amazing about eating in the evening, especially "forbidden" foods, and then you try to stop without getting to the underlying reason you do it in the first place. Once you figure out what is wonderful about it, think of a few ways you can get the same positive result without eating. Just sit down and take those deep breaths. Pour yourself a tall fizzy water with some juice in it, or whatever slows you down and pleases your insides. I find a whole grapefruit, peeled carefully, separated into sections, and eaten (finally) really helps. The sourness seems to cut out cravings for me. But if you really do not want to eat at all, try to get at the reason you do, and find another way to get there. I also hear you on the no alcohol. I stopped for several months, but have been back to some drinking, so far able to moderate. I really had to do the why exercise on that, many times!
  • Andreabroadley
    Andreabroadley Posts: 5,455 Member
    Options
    @BMcC9 the timer thing is a great idea. Thanks I’m going to give it a try!

Right now the issue is a bit of anxiety with queasy stomach end of day. Can’t take medicine for it right now.. So I’m eating crackers and sometime cookies. It’s both physical and emotional.. Ate 300 calls of crackers late yesterday.. Still made 1400 calls overall yesterday. .

But I decided last night to try half a cup of warm milk in this situation and see how it goes.

A big thanks for suggesting the idea of a small change.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,403 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »

Uh oh. This is turning into Whiny Wednesday!!! I'll stop now.

Whining about why's works on Wednesdays too! It's a "W" .... (or a delayed-entry for Talk It Outs, which don't HAVE to be restricted to Tuesdays ....
  • BMcC9
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    Thinking again about your post today.. so although I need to stop eating at night, I am going to think about how to break that down in smaller steps and do one step at a time, if I can't figure out a way to go cold turkey.

Thanks again @BMcC9!

In addition to @BMcC9 's fantastic ideas, another WHY to ask is what you get from eating in the evening.

VERY important ... explore the WHY / What's the in-the-moment seeming payoff for the behaviour? / What ELSE could give me that?

Example (might not necessarily apply to you - adjust to suit)

Why? Are you giving your hands something "relatively mindless" to do while you watch tv?

Possible Substitution(s): Are you in any way "crafty"? Could you fill your hands with something you wouldn't want to get greasy fingerprints on? (eg cross-stitch, knitting, mending, sort clean laundry, etc)

Apply Layering Strategy:
    • If you enjoy that kind of easy to pick up / put down crafty thing, but at a level where you CAN'T do that AND watch the latest TV episode at the same time .... listen to the radio? put in Netflix / dvd / streaming reruns of old faves for company so that you don't really need to pay close attention to the screen every second because you already know what's gonna happen?
    • If you had to prioritize what's on the screen ... what regular (latest episode) TV shows would you not even miss if they were cancelled TONIGHT? Those are the ones you swap out.
    • Keep the "gotta-see-what-happens-next-week" ones in your schedule, but maybe swap out the "high red" food choice for a "greener" option as a starter layer. Something that takes longer to eat and is more volume / fewer fats&sugars per measured portion. And you have to PRE-WEIGH + PRE-LOG before you eat it ..... in case you need to "have a smaller portion tonight"

(I do that with my air-popped popcorn and dark chocolate Bark Thins - rarely exactly the same volume two nights in a row, but often manage to fit at least a nibble of the Bark Thins in my pre-exercise totals .... )
  • micki48
    Options
    @jugar “I tend to stop logging when I know it isn't looking good. I also hate to step on a scale when I have been eating less wisely. “

YES AND YES!! Definitely true for me too. So if I disappear from checking in, someone please call me out. I’m probably not being “good.”

Checking in was enough for me. Granddaughter is gone for the day. Going to the gym. Don’t want to really, but I know I’ll be fine once I get there. Bye.
  • tdrjustus3
    tdrjustus3 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Tdrjustus3
    Week 2
    Weigh In Day: Monday
    PW: 279.8
    CW: 278.4
    Slow and steady wins the race!
  • jugar
    Options
    tdrjustus3 wrote: »
    Tdrjustus3
    Week 2
    Weigh In Day: Monday
    PW: 279.8
    CW: 278.4
    Slow and steady wins the race!

Indeed it does! Well done.
  • sue_01
    sue_01 Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    2--4,221
    3--8,094
    4--11,842
    5--11,300
    6--11,450
    7--11,000
    8--11,790
    9-6,463
    10- 5,200
    11-7,100
    12-6,500
    13-6,200
  • sue_01
    sue_01 Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    I had to get a needle today, and it is right in the muscle of arm. I took Tylenol during the day didn't`t even touch it.
  • leni1us
    leni1us Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Gonna take off the Fitbit to charge. I wanted to post where my steps are right now.

• martinesther88
    martinesther88 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Steps 3/13- 11,210
  • jugar
    Options
    The Nagger in Chief says:

Late weigh-ins:
    @LiLee2018 (Monday)
    @MoStacy (Monday)
    @NikkiDT9211 (Tuesday)
    @Healthy67Chick (Wednesday)
    @Nicolajw00 (Wednesday)

Due Today:
    @Blackbeautysue
    @Cory17

Heads-up for Tomorrow:
    @AmyRobF
    @Bear479
    @BMcC9
    @Connie7355
    @leni1us
    @martinesther88
    @Sue_01

That's it for now! Steps? Keep 'em coming.
  • micki48
    Options
    Steps

Sunday 7,768
    Monday 8,233
    Tuesday 9,324
    Wednesday 8,013
    Thursday
    Friday
    Saturday
  • Blackbeautysue
    Blackbeautysue Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Weigh day Thurs

PW- 223.6
    CW- 225.0

Steps
    7 March - 20,592
    8 March - 16,443
    9 March - 2,407
    10 March - 9,349
    11 March - 19,452
    12 March - 12,459
    13 March - 8,598

Reflection
    These last few weeks have been difficult for me as I was worrying about my pregnant sister going into labour and my newborn nephew. And now I have to worry about my son because he is not well and had been getting sick. I am upset about the weight increase and I do not seem to motivate myself even though I need to lose the weight. Still have not started Zumba classes as I have not had the time. I need motivation to succeed and I feel like I am letting myself and others down

Anyway it’s a fresh start again this week so let’s hope I can do it and make a stand. Deep down inside, I know we have all got this.
  • Blackbeautysue
    Blackbeautysue Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Week 2

Sorry forgot to say
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options

Anyway it’s a fresh start again this week so let’s hope I can do it and make a stand. Deep down inside, I know we have all got this.

You can do this! Don't give up!
  • BMcC9
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @Blackbeautysue and anyone else who is feeling like motivation is in a low-ebb state .... I urge you to go read the entire Week 2 moderators challenge about Coach Tulin's 7 steps to never quit again. VERY valuable information, even if you don't want to leave a comment there.

It is all about the mental reset(s) that support never "quitting" again. Here is the link.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10731988/week-2-mod-challenge-discussion-7-steps-to-never-quit-again/p1?new=1

This discussion has been closed.