WAIST AWAYS - March 2019

Options

Replies

• Andreabroadley
    Andreabroadley Posts: 5,455 Member
    Options
    I may have found a good food to eat as a substitute. I made Seitan today. I made it with almond flour and vital gluten flour. Lots of herbs to give it flavor and only 1tsp olive oil per serving.. so in total about 150 cals. And 24g protein. Very filling, so I think I only need 1/2 serving at most at a time.

Did well on around 1200 calories today..
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,137 Member
    Options
    I may have found a good food to eat as a substitute. I made Seitan today. I made it with almond flour and vital gluten flour. Lots of herbs to give it flavor and only 1tsp olive oil per serving.. so in total about 150 cals. And 24g protein. Very filling, so I think I only need 1/2 serving at most at a time.

That sounds great - I used to love seitan, but have not made it in ages. this sounds like a great recipe - can you post it or send a link? I'd love to try it. And hats off to you for finding something delish that is helping you stick to plan!
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,403 Member
    Options
    BMcC9
    Week 2
    PW: 141.1
    CW: 137.4
  • BMcC9
    edited March 2019
    Options
    BMcC9
    Week 2
    PW: 141.1
    CW: 137.4

Practical application of Step 5 of Coach Tulin's "Never Quit Again" in action!

Last Thursday was a monster Italian Dinner, the day before weigh-in of COURSE .... and a more than 2 pound jump up from the previous DAY. Back to normal routine on Friday, and over the course of the week I ended up under what I had been March 1.

If you haven't already read the entire Week 2 moderators challenge about Coach Tulin's 7 steps to never quit again. do so. VERY valuable information, even if you don't want to leave a comment there.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10731988/week-2-mod-challenge-discussion-7-steps-to-never-quit-again/p1?new=1
  • sue_01
    sue_01 Posts: 2,743 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    March Steps:

1--8,337
    2--4,221
    3--8,094
    4--11,842
    5--11,300
    6--11,450
    7--11,000
    8--11,790
    9-6,463
    10- 5,200
    11-7,100
    12-6,500
    13-6,200
    14-4,500
  • sue_01
    sue_01 Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    sue_01
    Week 2
    PW-193
    CW-194.5

• AmyRobF
    AmyRobF Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    AmyRobF
    Week 2
    PW 213
    CW 212

I’m glad I lost something! My water intake this week was not good so I’m stepping it up today and moving on.

I feel better, have more energy and don’t want to nap ALL the time!

• BMcC9
    Options

I would also like to see the recipe. I have never even heard of Seitan before. (Looked it up, so now I at least know WHAT it is .... intriguing idea that I will be passing on to a friend of mine .... )

Can you make it (in a larger batch) and freeze / reheat single servings? Store it in the fridge and re-heat to room temperature? How long would an fresh batch stored correctly last before going "off"?

(you may have guessed that there are no vegans in my immediate family circle (meat and starch types from WAAAYYYY back!) or even in the neighbourhood to ask)
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Foodie Friday.

@Andreabroadley has already been asked for her Seitan recipe.

@micki48 has asked if anyone else ever gotten tired of logging … what’s your strategy there?

She also said that she can find herself reaching for ANY and ALL of the following categories / combos of “less healthy foods” :
    • craving greasy?
    • salty?
    • crunchy-like-chips?
    • sweet?
    • slippery-smooth-like ice-cream?
    What substitutes for any of the above have you discovered and could recommend?

What do you find a “harder to resist / need to reserve for special-treat status” item?
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    WEEK 3 CHALLENGES
    MOD CHALLENGE - MOTIVATION
    pwwu5q8rbdoj.jpeg
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10732997/week-3-mod-challenge-motivation#latest
    TEAM CHALLENGE - BROUGHT TO YOU BY SHRINKING ASSETS
    SELF LOVE

enky68b27i8d.jpeg
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10732996/week-3-team-challenge-self-love#latest

Both challenges were designed to help keep you going and enjoy the journey you are on. Please take a look and enjoy WEEK 3 Challenges!
  • BMcC9
    Options
    For logging, I combine a relatively stable list of items and combos (minimal hunting through the database) with treating logging as playing a daily game called "Go For The Green".

(It helps immensely that I have a limited social life, so eating out is rare and booked well in advance .... and we don't make a lot of mixed-ingredient recipes, although I believe there is a good tutorial on the "Getting Started Page" that includes video of how to enter / adapt ingredient lists for personal recipes on the fly)

Any time I am having something less than routine (like we are making pizza at home tonight, and Hubby baked scones earlier this week), I start with entering the special "high-point item", then work backwards and around it to end up as close to one side or the other (less than 5=>10 points) either side of pre-exercise calories.

After my daily exercise is logged, Evening Snack can vary (depending on how many points I have to work with), to try and leave ~ 100 "in the bank". I still "win the day" if I eat all the exercise calories right up to "zero" (but not over!) because of special circumstances like a fancy-restaurant meal out for a birthday or anniversary.

Framing it as a game (instead of a chore) helps immensely. If I end up in the red only 3 (4 MAX) times in the month, I have "won the Monthly (virtual) Grand Prix". Non-food rewards may result o:) ..... scale victories definitely show up! B)
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,137 Member
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    Foodie Friday.
    • craving greasy?
    • salty?
    • crunchy-like-chips?
    • sweet?
    • slippery-smooth-like ice-cream?
    What substitutes for any of the above have you discovered and could recommend?

What do you find a “harder to resist / need to reserve for special-treat status” item?

It all starts in the grocery store. Bring the team's voices in with you to help resist the things you KNOW will make you unhappy if you eat them. Even if you're happy while you eat them.

Have the substitutes on your shopping list!
    Here are a few of my faves:
    ice cream - one of my downfalls if it is in the house - so I make sorbet. No dairy, just fruit and as little sugar as I can get away with depending on the fruit. I bought a little inexpensive ice-cream maker and do sorbet regularly as fruit comes into season. It has no fat, and I don't worry too much about the sugar. It is intense, so a little goes a long way. It is crazy delicious. Mango-cranberry. Blueberry-lemon. Cranberry-lemon. You can start with frozen fruit if the fresh isn't available - just cook the fruits with water and some sugar and other flavours (rosemary! lime!), throw it all in the blender until super smooth, and process in the ice cream maker. I have a cheap one that works just fine.

Crunchy, salty - weirdly enough, pickles. If you like pickles, it really works.

General munchies - I have mentioned this before, but a peeled grapefruit is sometimes just the trick. Peeling it takes time, and the sour/sweet combo is really satisfying.

Sweet/slightly fatty - an apple (I like granny smith, but any will do) in thin sections, smeared with sunflower butter.
  • Andreabroadley
    edited March 2019
    Options
    b6cmy55dawbg.jpeg
    Foodie Friday
    Here is the Seitan recipe. Really easy.

Yes, it can be stored in the fridge for a couple of days. Might get mouldy after that I guess. Recipe says it can be frozen for up to 2 weeks. I am planning to make another batch today or tomorrow.

4 servings

Wet ingredients
    1-1/2 c cold vegetable broth
    2 cloves garlic, peeled and grated with a Microplane grater
    3 tbsp soy sauce ( I used low sodium)
    1 tbsp olive oil
    3 tbsp tomato paste

Dry ingredients
    1-3/4 c vital gluten flour. Do not use regular flour. Vital wheat gluten is like a super-powered flour that is all gluten and very little starch. It’s not technically flour itself, but it’s made from wheat flour that has been hydrated to activate the gluten and then processed to remove everything but that gluten. It’s then dried and ground back into a powder.
    1/4 c chickpea flour. I used almond flour as we are allergic to chickpeas. Again this is great for protein.
    1/4 c nutritional yeast
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1/2 tsp ground cumin.

I took out coriander and cumin, added more garlic, and put in dried rosemary and oregano.
    • Preheat oven to 350.
    • Put wet ingredients together and whisk in a bowl.
    • Stir together dry ingredients well.
    • Make a well/depression in the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixing bowl.
    • Use a spatula to stir it together, a moist dough will form.
    • Once the wet is fully absorbed into the dry, turn the dough out onto your work surface and kneed like bread for 2-3 minutes.
    • Let it rest for 10 minutes.
    • Divide it into four portions and shape into ovals about 3/4 inch thick.
    • Put each oval onto a piece of tin foil (oil the tin foil with a bit of olive oil spray first). Fold it up into individual packets. Leave a good amount of space around each piece for expansion in the oven.
    • Put the pouches directly on the middle oven rack and bake for 32-34 mins. I did it for 34.
    • Cool pouches on the counter until they reach room temperature.
    • If you are going to store it, you can keep it in the foil and put in an airtight container.
    • I was out of foil (I am not a fan of the stuff anyway).. I used parchment, and it worked fine.

304 calories, 9g fat, 16.2g carb, 40.7g protein. It is not a complete protein, so better if you eat it with some beans (unless you cook it with chickpea flour then my guess is that it is pretty good).

I had a few pieces as a snack after I baked it, and the rest of my serving for dinner.

It is best on second day apparently, but we enjoyed it immensely on first.
    If you like, you can crisp it up a little before serving by spraying with some olive oil and reheating.

• BMcC9
    Options
    For the Seitan .... what might I substitute for the garlic? (NO garlic fans in our house .... and BFF I want to pass recipe to found out (the hard way some time ago) that garlic triggers her bad migraines.
  • Connie7355
    Connie7355 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Connie7355
    Week 2
    PW: 197.2
    CW: 197
  • Andreabroadley
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    For the Seitan .... what might I substitute for the garlic? (NO garlic fans in our house .... and BFF I want to pass recipe to found out (the hard way some time ago) that garlic triggers her bad migraines.

I think you can pretty safely leave it out. If you’re not used to eating garlic I don’t think you will miss it.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Check in for Thurs
    CW 217.8 think this is high (hopefully) from sodium bloat due to ramen soup on wed.
  • Bear479
    Bear479 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bear479
    Week2
    Pw 169
    Cw 170
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Beka3695 wrote: »
    WEEK 3 CHALLENGES
    MOD CHALLENGE - MOTIVATION
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10732997/week-3-mod-challenge-motivation#latest
    TEAM CHALLENGE - BROUGHT TO YOU BY SHRINKING ASSETS
    SELF LOVE
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10732996/week-3-team-challenge-self-love#latest

Both challenges were designed to help keep you going and enjoy the journey you are on. Please take a look and enjoy WEEK 3 Challenges!

I have been to both and already some very inspiring and insightful posts are showing up. Bookmark them both and check back regularly to see what's been added. Add something yourself.
This discussion has been closed.