What's on your mind today?

Options

Replies

• KrazyTwinMomma
    KrazyTwinMomma Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have a question. Today I will be working for about 8 hours doing an intense cleaning of a filthy empty house. We are talking scrubbing walls and ceilings, scrubbing down all cabinets inside and out, etc. How would I could that activity? Maybe just as heavy cleaning for a zillion minutes? Thanks!!
  • Ketch_22
    Ketch_22 Posts: 12,708 Member
    Options
    I have a question. Today I will be working for about 8 hours doing an intense cleaning of a filthy empty house. We are talking scrubbing walls and ceilings, scrubbing down all cabinets inside and out, etc. How would I could that activity? Maybe just as heavy cleaning for a zillion minutes? Thanks!!

mfp has a cleaning calorie count and it's for different levels (light, etc) yes it will be a lot of calories for all day :smile:
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,384 Member
    Options
    I have a fitness doodad question ....

In case you haven't noticed (those of you who are carry-overs from April) ..... I started using a fitbit zip on Easter (I've been keeping that news SOOOOOOOOOOO under-cover ....... :D )

Two weeks have gone by, and it is looking like I average just over ~6000 steps in the course of an average workday. (no "active minute stretches to speak of .... and this is BEFORE my "intentional activity workouts" on the mini-trampoline or bike.

Should I change my MFP Profile setting from "sedentary" to "lightly active" (or whatever 1 notch up is called)? I log my exercise, and now that I am settling into maintenance, I am trying to eat most of them back. (raising my Intake calorie goal gradually)
  • Ketch_22
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »

In case you haven't noticed (those of you who are carry-overs from April) ..... I started using a fitbit zip on Easter (I've been keeping that news SOOOOOOOOOOO under-cover ....... :D )

Two weeks have gone by, and it is looking like I average just over ~6000 steps in the course of an average workday. (no "active minute stretches to speak of .... and this is BEFORE my "intentional activity workouts" on the mini-trampoline or bike.

Should I change my MFP Profile setting from "sedentary" to "lightly active" (or whatever 1 notch up is called)? I log my exercise, and now that I am settling into maintenance, I am trying to eat most of them back. (raising my Intake calorie goal gradually)

Hi that must be the average for a lot 6000 with just normal activity. I also have a fitbit I set it at sedentary. You can change your daily calorie burn and eat count you want to achieve in the tools section. For instance mine is set to 2000 burn.
  • ShareASmile
    ShareASmile Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    @alexbuzzcut So glad that your friend doesn't have cancer! A trip well worth all those steps! :) I'm impressed by how well you know yourself and your limits when you're having a flare day. Hope your weekend is a good one!

@Ketch_22 I wish I had advice for you, but I'm in the same rut. I believe it has to do with regulating your macros vs just calories, but I can't seem to get that mastered either. I just keep it slow and steady with keeping my calories under control and continuing to exercise. I absolutely see a difference when I don't track my food and stop exercising, so I know those are both vital parts of the weight loss journey. Wish I had more words of wisdom for you!

@KCJen I also use Friday Eve! For me, it's ALL about the weekend! :)
  • Alexbuzzcut
    Alexbuzzcut Posts: 77 Member
    Options

I was tested to find out my base metabolic rate (sedentary caloric requirements) which was 1500 and some. Based on that I added to make my base caloric requirement at 1700 since just getting out of bed burns calories, lol. I then eat according to the adjusted caloric amount based on activity. That generally brings it to 1900 to 2100 depending on activity. I’m maintaining and a part of my joining MFP was to make sure I’m eating enough calories to heal years of yo-yo dieting.

I used to not count things like house chores or long periods in the kitchen baking but it all burn calories. I found that because I wasn’t consuming enough, I actually gained weight. Go figure. For me, logging everything helps me better understand how my body functions. I’ve had the longest period of maintaining, since joining, then I ever had in the past.

I’ll retest my metabolism in a few months to see if it’s increased. I definitely don’t want to short change myself.
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    @BmCc9, I would. 6000 steps are not sedentary, IMHO. I'm sedentary and get about 4,000 steps, without adding additional walking. I'd try it and see how you do for a couple of weeks and maybe adjust if you're seeing the results you want.

• Ketch_22
    Options
    Here's something on my mind. I've always followed the "fake it til you make it motto" so what that means to me is... dress for the job you want not the one you have, eat for the weight you want not the one you are, speak/act like the person you want to be not the one you think you are. Life is perception and assumption.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Ketch_22 wrote: »
    Here's something on my mind. I've always followed the "fake it til you make it motto" so what that means to me is... dress for the job you want not the one you have, eat for the weight you want not the one you are, speak/act like the person you want to be not the one you think you are. Life is perception and assumption.

@Ketch_22. So true. Works so often.

Even a fake smile makes you feel better (and is often better than a sincere frown).

@KrazyTwinMomma. It counts towards daily activity for UAC.

As for recording to get credit on calories, take a best guess. Find another activity (like jogging or power walking and make an estimate as to how much over your normal it would burn).

This also opens up the whole debate of whether to eat back exercise calories (I only eat back half if more than the equivalent of a 5km power walk). Best is if you do not as calories in / calories out is not an exact science outside a lab.

Always better to err on the side of deficit if trying to lose weight.
  • Ketch_22
    Options
    krea4 wrote: »
    This morning I was the lowest weight I have seen in 4 years! Happy days!!

Congrats!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,005 Member
    Options
    Hello all... I'm here for motivation. I love to hear what you all are doing. Personally, I'm new to mfp I approached it logically or mathematically. Not sure that is the way. I decided to look up what calories I need to eat to maintain the weight I desire then I eat that amount. I based it on rmr and bmr. It worked until now. So I guess I either have to eat less or exercise more. It blows my mind how much some people exercise and yet lose so little. So in real numbers it works like this... eat 1350 (I want to lose 1.5# wk) add 750 so I need to burn 2100 a day subtract my bmr of 1390 and what's left is my deficit. I joined 2 mos ago and it has worked exactly 1.5 per wk. Now I'm stalled. Any advice would be appreciated. I use a fitbit and I do actually burn 2100 a day and eat 1350.

@Ketch_22
    Losing 1.5lb/wk for 8 weeks is 12 lbs. This loss with modify your rmr/bar as well as how many calories you burn while exercising. So, you may need to adjust your calculations.

If you are close to GW, you will have a smaller margin of error. Burn rates & calorie counts no matter how careful we are have some variability. I have seen many posts such as your’s, and the recommendations have included double checking the MFP food calorie count as they are not vetted & can be wildly off.

They also ALWAYS ask: Are you using a food scale ie not a 1/2 cup, but weighing each item,

Finally, weight loss lurches & ebbs. It’s not linear especially, I found, as I got closer to GW. So I look at monthly averages.

I set my maximum weight loss to 1 lb per week, then 1lb per 10 days, then 1 lb per 2 weeks...slowly easing into maintenance & never hungry!
  • Ketch_22
    Options
    Hello all... I'm here for motivation. I love to hear what you all are doing. Personally, I'm new to mfp I approached it logically or mathematically. Not sure that is the way. I decided to look up what calories I need to eat to maintain the weight I desire then I eat that amount. I based it on rmr and bmr. It worked until now. So I guess I either have to eat less or exercise more. It blows my mind how much some people exercise and yet lose so little. So in real numbers it works like this... eat 1350 (I want to lose 1.5# wk) add 750 so I need to burn 2100 a day subtract my bmr of 1390 and what's left is my deficit. I joined 2 mos ago and it has worked exactly 1.5 per wk. Now I'm stalled. Any advice would be appreciated. I use a fitbit and I do actually burn 2100 a day and eat 1350.

@Ketch_22
    Losing 1.5lb/wk for 8 weeks is 12 lbs. This loss with modify your rmr/bar as well as how many calories you burn while exercising. So, you may need to adjust your calculations.

If you are close to GW, you will have a smaller margin of error. Burn rates & calorie counts no matter how careful we are have some variability. I have seen many posts such as your’s, and the recommendations have included double checking the MFP food calorie count as they are not vetted & can be wildly off.

They also ALWAYS ask: Are you using a food scale ie not a 1/2 cup, but weighing each item,

Finally, weight loss lurches & ebbs. It’s not linear especially, I found, as I got closer to GW. So I look at monthly averages.

I set my maximum weight loss to 1 lb per week, then 1lb per 10 days, then 1 lb per 2 weeks...slowly easing into maintenance & never hungry!

thank you I was just reading your daily post this minute also and thinking...(I'm going to her house to eat) yes it's become clear that I'm making an error somewhere but you made it sound hopeful by spreading out the days for 1 pound as I get closer. I have noticed I've lost muscle so I am working on that as well. I definitely agree with double checking mfp numbers I've found that out. I really appreciate your help :smile:
  • Jays_Lines
    Jays_Lines Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    hansep0012 wrote: »
    Question for the team: Do you read Blogs on MFP? If yes, what catches you eye or interest?

Yes, I love the recipe articles and use a lot of them for my weekly meal prep.
  • Alexbuzzcut
    Alexbuzzcut Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Ugh, overdid it today for sure. 4+ hours of strenuous organizing and rearranging. I haven’t been doing “soft” fitness workouts like yoga or leisurely walks so I’m going to use today’s poor decision to do yoga tomorrow morning. It’s ashtanga yoga so definitely not too soft. I need to stretch though and really, really suck at stretching but boy oh boy, I need it. I’d probably skip a few days if I want in this challenge so thank you to the powers that be for getting my butt to did some stretching workouts!
    🧘‍♂️ ✌️
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    I am debating changing my Profile Pic again .... inside the spoiler is my previous "on the way to maintenance" picture .... you know my current "slim and sassy" (kitty-cat) picture .... and what I may swap to as my "now settling into maintenance" picture ... which is actually the "real me" taken just this afternoon ...

4hz7fl7n2vxc.jpg

ltyul64eycxn.jpg

Not bad for a nearly 61 yr old! That new tee-shirt is a YOUTH XL ... it didn't come in grownup sizes.

@BMcC9. Looking good (not only for a nearly 61yo). I can see how much work you have put in to get to where you are now. Awesome.

A profile picture is one you need to be comfortable with portraying you. If you do decide to change, my preference (of the two) is the real you.

Keep doing what you are doing as you continue into maintenance you are likely to get down to a youth "L" or even "M" instead of an "XL".

(If you do it right, maintenance feels just like losing, just with a higher daily budget and no longer seeing the scale report smaller numbers. Well at least that is how it is for me.)
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    @BMcC9 Such remarkable results. So very proud of your achievement!