TEAM: Run Track Minds (May)

Options
AB0215
AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
Welcome to the Challenge new and returning teammates!! This is the conversation/weigh in thread for your Team :) Keep on losing because our first weigh ins begin THIS Sunday! I am here for you should you need anything - simply message me or tag me by putting an '@' just before my username (NO SPACES) and I will get to you asap! ~ Ashley @AB0215.

Replies

• johicks
    johicks Posts: 1,991 Member
    Options
    Hello team Run Track Minds Welcome to May 2019!
    My name is Joanna @johicks, I will be your captain for this month.

I’ve been on a weight-loss journey since I was in 4th grade. I was active in sports but also loved food. So have been heavy my entire life. As an adult, I have come close to getting to my goal a few times. But have gained it back. I truly am striving to get to a weight that I can maintain for life. This excess weight causes aches and pains in my body. In 2017 I lost 80lbs and noticed the difference. But then for some reason, I stopped making all the right choices. And have gained.it back and am also in pain again. I started 2019 off saying… this is the year. But for three months, I slowly gained 6# more. So I got back on MFP the end of March and joined this group for the April challenge. In April I lost 5.6#. My biggest challenge besides exercise is my husband who also loves to eat and cook. He said in April that I was doing better with my attitude towards him and his cooking. We're trying to work together to plan dinners. And he says he’s going to start walking a little with me.
    I
    Also in mid-April, I became captain of the team to post weights in the spreadsheet. This group is awesome. So I’m happy to be here to help where I can and offer encouragement, support, and also be part of something that will help keep me on track and lose. I’m hoping that in May my movement gets up to 60 minutes of exercise per day and I lose close to 10#.

Please feel free to introduce yourselves and share your goals for the month as well.

We are going to continue with the (Optional) Mini-Challenge this month: Daily Posts/Ultimate Accountability

First and foremost is that participation in the challenge is optional. It's up to you as to whether you want to try this. If you don't want to participate in these challenges, you don't have to, the choice is yours. I encourage you to participate as it seems to help keep us on track and think about our goals on a daily basis. It's encouraging to see other's successes and struggles so that we realize that we are not alone!!

The Daily Posts Challenge works aims to follow 5 basic rules.
    #1. Track EVERYTHING you eat that has calories.
    #2. Stay inside your allocated daily budget.
    #3. Try to do at least 20 minutes of activity a day (anything: walk, run, cycle, swim, gardening, housework, yoga, gym, etc.. As long as it gets you active and off the couch)
    #4. 1 pass day permitted per week (went over calories, could not track, not enough exercise, intentional pass)
    #5. Check in daily (tracking yes/no, calories yes/no, exercise yes/no).

**REMEMBER**
    You set your own daily budget.
    You choose your own exercise and intensity (no step limit, no exercises you cannot or should not do, 20 mins of gardening counts as much as a 10 mile run.)
    It is not weight based (as weight fluctuates day by day).

Daily check-in keeps you in touch with those doing similar. Longer term weight management is hard to do on your own.

It works on an honor system. Being honest with yourself and others is a key to making things work. Remember, this is a judgment-free zone, everyone has good days and bad days, but the way to get to the finish line is by being honest and when we have a bad day, picking ourselves up and carrying on.

Your optional challenge posts should look like this:
    Daily Post (Sunday)
    Track: Yes/no
    Calories: Yes/no (were you under)
    Exercise: Yes/no (what type and how long)
    Goals or Day: (Tell us a brief description about your how your day went or goals for the day)

Please post your weight on your scheduled weigh-in day, as if you miss weigh-ins, you may be eliminated from the challenge and we don't want to see that happen!!

Your weekly weigh-in posts should look like this:
    Username:
    Week: Sunday, May Week 1
    PW =(previous weight)
    CW=(current weight)

Just type PW & CW if you'd like (or if it's easier, you could keep a note on your PC desktop to make it easier to copy and paste from week to week.)

Please set-up your posts in that format as it really makes it much easier to track.

Welcome to May! Let's all have a great month 😀

• MaelynMayhem
    MaelynMayhem Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hi, username is MaelynMayhem. The Maelyn actually comes from my name; it's my middle name which is what I go by. And I am wrecking mayhem on calories. So, a bit about my journey so far. We're going to have to go back to a darker time for me into early December.
    I caught a cold. No big deal, right? Except I have asthma, and it triggered a bad asthma attack that then led to acute respiratory failure. There was even talk of putting me on oxygen for the remainder of December, not how I envisioned spending my Christmas. After about five days in the hospital I was weaned off oxygen and released but my O2 levels were just good (93) for discharge. I was highly restricted on activity and the medication was causing rapid weight gain. I got up to 351 by Christmas Day, getting dangerously close to my all time high of 357. My grandmother, of course, made a comment about the weight gain, never about my losses.

I was weak, physically, and walking from my chair to the door to let my aide or CSS in took everything out of me. I would have to pause to try to catch my breath before retreating back to my chair. I started to make small changes to my diet and by Jan 2, my weight was down to 339.8. I started trying to add in activity. I would do a few trips from my window to the door and back, 22 steps round trip (I don't have a big apartment). I would do that a couple of times a day, and then later in January I started Pulmonary Rehabilitation; it lasted six weeks. About half way through I started to walk around the community room using Zombies, Run! as inspiration. It was tough, but I managed.

Now, several months later I'm down quite a bit, and I have started to learn how to run. I hope to run a 5K. I walk for extended periods of time. My diet is pretty good. I have learned how to eat healthy from pantry foods (with the the help of a dietitian). I walk to a lot of close by places when the weather allows instead of taking the bus. I no longer feel like life is limited but rather the sky is the limit.
  • Tomkinsone
    Tomkinsone Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hello!! Glad to be apart of this group for the month of May! I have my BIG 50 coming up on the 18th. 😅 looking forward to working hard with you all here. @johicks you did a fabulous job in April. Thanks you for keeping us going. 😘
  • _Cece_x
    _Cece_x Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi 🙋‍♀️🙋‍♀️🙋‍♀️

First month doing this so hopefully can smash it with you all 🙌🙌
  • jupdyke
    jupdyke Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    This is my first round with you all. I am 20.2 lbs away from my goal. I turn 40 on the 25th. I am hoping to be down in the next bracket by then. I usually weigh in daily, so once a week is a challenge for me. I'm looking forward to motivate and be motivated by you all.
    😀
    Jen!
  • johicks
    Options
    @MaelynMayhem - Wow! You really are killing Zombies. So excited for you!
    @Tomkinsone ~ the BIG50. How exciting to be taking care of yourself .. Fabulous at 50! And thanks. ;)
    Welcome to two newbies with >>RUNTRACKMINDS<< 🏃🛤😉

@ceces_life ~ Yes, let's smash it. Get this weight off!
    @jupdyke ~ You can still weigh daily. You only need to report it weekly. Thrilled you're getting closer to your goal.
  • johicks
    Options
    Also welcome to two newbies who have yet to check-in here.... @thatexpatmom and @klilev. Please tell us a little about yourselves.
  • klilev
    klilev Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am really glad to be part of this group. I've been on MFP on and off for several years. I have never really been back to my goal weight since my last child was born almost 6 years ago. I am working towards that goal for this summer.
    I really enjoy working out. I usually run and/or lift weights but I know that if I want to reach my goals (and do my knees a favor!) I need to track what I'm eating.
    I'm looking forward to encouragement and accountability with this group!
  • jupdyke
    Options
    @johicks Thank you. I'm going to try the once a week weigh in. I think the daily weigh in has secretly been stressing me out with all of the fluctuation from day to day. We'll see how it goes.

• jupdyke
    Options
    @klilev Welcome. I also do Strength trainiand run opposite days. I am with you. I'm faithful with working out, it's the food that kills me. We've got this!
  • klilev
    klilev Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Should we post daily posts here?...If not here, then where?

Daily Post (Tuesday)
    Track: Yes
    Calories: Yes
    Exercise: Yes
    Treadmill 30 min, weights (lower body) 20 kin, threw the ball for my dog for 12 minutes
    Goals for Day: I ate really well during the day and enjoyed pizza with my family tonight. I tracked everything and stayed under my goal calories for the day.
  • johicks
    Options
    @klilev~ We’re glad you are part of our group too! MFP is such a useful tool. I honestly think it will be part of my lifestyle. It keeps me aware and mindful. And in order for me to keep it off, I need it. I find planning my food the night before or in the morning, and logging it; works best for me. Then I can adjust accordingly. I start with dinner, especially if we’re going out or for the Holidays. And even if I don’t know… I at least enter meat, a potato, and a vegetable. It also helps my mind’s eye to prepare for the event.
    Yes. This is the thread that you will post daily; then also weekly for your weigh-in. Good job on getting out there and making it habit. You get extra kudos for starting early. In case you are wondering where the rest of your teammates are and why they are not posting’ we’re finishing up April. April ends April 27th and May starts April 28th. So keep posting. I’m encouraging them to come on over to introduce themselves so we can all get to know each other.

@jupdyke~ Yes, weighing daily is quite the fluctuation. I noticed for me that after a “binge” it takes two days for it to show up on the scale. So I have to be careful to not weigh every day.

@jupdyke & @klilev ~ I look forward to the motivation that you will bring to our team >>RUNTRACKMINDS<< 🏃🛤😉 for exercise!!

Exercise is my downfall, mainly due to my knees. But I know it will get better as the weight comes off. I just want walking to be easier. I am not a runner, even when I played softball, I hated running! So just to walk out the door without a bunch of stretching and pain is an ultimate life goal for me.

Welcome to more newbies to our team… >>RUNTRACKMINDS<< 🏃🛤😉
    @Vhiggins90 & @Fivepts We hope you will check in and introduce yourselves.
  • jwall309
    jwall309 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Hi team! My name is Jessica and I've been doing this challenge since March. It helps to keep me accountable and feel support from people on the same journey as me! In February, I hit a weight I'd never thought I'd see on the scale so rejoined MFP determined to make a change for good. The weight has been coming off slowly but surely and I know this is the way to do it to ensure a lifestyle change. I'd like to reach goal by April of 2020 when I am MOH in my best friends wedding, so I have plenty of time. Which is why I started early, to make sure I had the time to do this the right way! Welcome y'all! @johicks is an amazing team captain, always posting and checking in with personalized messages, we are lucky to have her!
  • johicks
    Options
    Welcome to @skullsandskeletons recently added to our team >>RUNTRACKMINDS<< 🏃🛤😉

@jwall309 ~ Hi Jessica. You have a wonderful goal and timeframe and attitude. I appreciate the accolades. It's a win-win. And we all need that pick me up or to know we are in this together.

@Fivepts ~ Hello! LOL walktrackmind. I am not a runner either. But we can "run" away with this challenge by keeping our minds on track!? Right? Right! That is a hard thing to do. That's why checking in daily helps. Most importantly... being mindful of our eating and choices. I am thrilled that you have had some success since the beginning of the year.

@Runtrackminds - Let's "RUN" away with this competition in May! I'm working on a slogan for our team using our team name. All input is welcome. Something we can post on our fridge to remind ourselves; we have A TEAM who is supporting us, encouraging us, TRACKing with us, MINDful with us, and most importantly... WITH US!!

We'll chat on this post daily soon... Starting on Sunday, April 28th.
  • skullsandskeletons
    skullsandskeletons Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am so happy to be a part of this group! I am a 48 year old female with about 60 pounds to lose. Just got back on the wagon a couple of weeks ago and in the right mindset. One challenge for me is that I am going out of the country this Saturday through the following Friday (May 3). @johicks I should be able to get online and post but it may be a challenge to find a scale in my hotel!

Nice to meet you all!
  • johicks
    Options
    Hello! I am so happy to be a part of this group! I am a 48-year-old female with about 60 pounds to lose. Just got back on the wagon a couple of weeks ago and in the right mindset. One challenge for me is that I am going out of the country this Saturday through the following Friday (May 3). @johicks I should be able to get online and post but it may be a challenge to find a scale in my hotel!

Nice to meet you all!

Nice to meet you too! Since you are giving advance notice, then if you are unable to report for the first weigh-in you won't be eliminated. If you don't weigh-in two times; then you are ineligible for any awards for biggest loser. Travel safely. Hopefully, you are able to stick to a good plan while gone. We look forward to getting to know you.
  • rawrxamberx
    rawrxamberx Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! My name is amber ! I’ve been on this weight loss journey since 2012. The first couple years of my journey I worked hard and lost 80 pounds. But not long after I got to my lowest weight , I gained it all back within a year and a half cuz I truly gave up after my dad passed away. Then in 2018 I gained 20 pounds on top of what I gained back. I’ve noticed in my journey I have to be consistent and never give up to see success. I’m so easy to give up when I have a bad day. I just need to remember what worked for me before.

With how my body feels is a big motivator to lose this year. I have a back problem that’s been hurting me more cuz of my back and I feel like that’s kinda why my ankle has been killing me too.

I’m determined to really start making a difference on myself.

Feel free to add me if you want! I need more supportive people on my list :)
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    It's Friday here, so here's my post
    SW 175
    Easter weight 147.4
    Today's weight 146.4
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Or should I post on Sunday?
    Week: Sunday, May Week 1