WAISTAWAYS TEAM CHAT - May 2019

Options
Navydaddjtc
Navydaddjtc Posts: 4,166 Member
edited April 2019 in Social Groups
This chat room provides a place for the CHALLENGERS to meet and chat about the challenge, discuss any issues, post comments, share ideas, etc...

We are beginning the MAY Challenge - We have six (6) teams returning this month!!

Our group and team leaders for the MAY Challenge are as follows:

Our Moderators;
Steve - @steplaj (Group Owner)
Greg - @Navydaddjtc
Becky - @Beka3695
Liselyn - @jugar

Our Team Captains
Team Workout Warriors - @Navydaddjtc , @melissafeagins and @steplaj
Team Mission Slimpossibles - @broncobuddee and @Kres567
Team Weight No More - @sleepymom5 and @cyndiesstuff
Team WaistAways - @BMcC9 and @jugar
Team Trimstones - @mulecanter and @jessicakrall8
Team Shrinking Assets - @Boehle and @Beka3695

Our Motivators
Team Workout Warriors - @navydaddjtc
Team Mission Slimpossibles - @tess5036 and @Kres567
Team WaistAways - open
Team Weight No More - @ihp2015 and @Mrsbell8well
Team Trimstones - @angmarie28
Team Shrinking Assets - @KelGen02

Captain’s responsibilities include:
* Entering weights for your team into the spreadsheet.
* Be active in team discussions, encouraging and supporting the challengers as they post.
* Encourage challengers to participate in challenges and in group discussions.
* Post daily / weekly challenges and topics to promote team involvement and help keep the team engaged.
* Participate in team discussions encouraging team participation.
* Help remind challengers when they are due to post (and especially when overdue to post) weights.
* Encourage participation in the moderators challenge and in the weekly team challenges.
* Remind your challengers to enter their weights on time by tagging them or messaging them when they are pending.
* Answering any questions that may come up about challenges, weigh-ins, the spreadsheets etc.

Motivator’s Responsibilities include:
* Be active in team discussions, encouraging and supporting the challengers as they post.
* Encourage challengers to participate in challenges and in group discussions.
* Participate in team discussions encouraging team participation.
* Help remind challengers when they are due to post (and especially when overdue to post) weights.
* Encourage participation in the moderators challenge and in the weekly team challenges.
* Coordinate with your awesome team captains to see if they can use any assistance or if they have any specific tasks they feel you can assist with.

F2F-WLC CHALLENGES:
- - WEEKLY GROUP CHALLENGE (Challenges hosted by teams for the entire group)
- - MODERATOR'S CHALLENGE (Challenges hosted by the moderators of the group)
- - INDIVIDUAL CHALLENGES (Challenges within teams themselves)

Team Weekly challenges will be announced in later communications

(Note:The team order for challenges follows the team order in the group standing sheet on the spreadsheets)

HOW OUR CHALLENGES WORK:
We have 4 total possible challenges and NONE are mandatory. Our challengers can do none or all it's up to them. So we have...

The F2F Weekly TEAM Challenge - posted each week on Sunday in the announcements by the team who is assigned that particular week (see above for your week). This is for the F2F Group as a whole.

F2F Moderators Challenge/Topic of the week - This challenge is provided each week in the announcements area. One of the moderators will either provide a challenge that will involve anything fitness, health, and nutrition.

Individual Team challenges - these are challenge done within your own team. You can chose daily, weekly, or monthly challenges (weekly seems to work best). You can make this whatever you wish as long as it's health and fitness related.

Note: If for some reason your team is unable to provide the weekly challenge please let me know ahead of time so another team can take your place or so I can provide the challenge.

Good Luck Teams: Please let us know if there is anything wrong or if you notice something that needs to be fixed or modified. Everything seems ready to go for APRIL. Registrations are almost done and we have quite a few new challengers. Make sure you are going into your new team threads to welcome anyone who has started posting. Let’s make our newbies feel welcome and show them some F2F love!!

THANKS, YOUR MODS

Replies

• bfitb440n2022
    bfitb440n2022 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi Team! My name is Tatyana and I just started mfp last Sunday. I'm completing my first week and feel really good about my progress. I was invited to this challenge and thought it looked fun so here I am.

A little about me.... I'm a military wife to a retired soldier. We have three kids that I homeschool and we currently live in Virginia. I've been overweight since a child but the effects of that are catching up to me as I get older. I have just under 3 years before I turn 40 and I want to be fit before then!

I'm excited to have a group of people to help motivate and support me and I hope I can do the same for you all!!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,131 Member
    Options
    A big welcome to our new and returning team members!

@kx7003 and @bfitb440n2022 - I hope you'll enjoy this team and the challenges, competition, support, and some really great people. Post often, get to know everyone, and get in there to keep on track. What we are doing is hard, but sticking with it and having a community really helps.

I'm Liselyn, one of the team's co-captains. I am 65, live in Québec out in the woods, and retired from many long years as a music prof at a university in Montréal. I still play music, and am enjoying having time to practice, be outdoors, and ride my lovely horse. I have two kids in their 20s (I started late!) and finally about 7 years ago lost the weight that had been piling on. I have always been an easy keeper, as we call the horses who don't need to eat much to keep nice and round, but finally I got really serious about getting fit and strong, and keeping everything working as well as possible. I feel great and have been able to maintain for these 7 years, within a reasonable margin. I'm really small, so it's hard! Right now I had crept back up a few, so I'm working on those last 5 pounds. AGAIN. Logging and exercise have really helped - I'm not fanatical about every calorie, but need to stay careful. Learning what foods trigger me to keep on eating has been important too.

Enjoy the discussions, ask anything! Snoop around the other teams sometimes, and join in the challenges we all set each other. Tally ho!
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,398 Member
    Options
    Hi, and welcome to both new and returning WaistAway'ers!

I am BMcC9, your other co-cap. I mostly encourage conversations, pooling of ideas, sharing of strategies etc. And enter your weekly reports on the team spreadsheet.

The degree of personal-info sharing is entirely OPTIONAL and a question of personal comfort

... but I strongly encourage you to share things like letting us know of a roadblock or situation you are having problems with, so that we-as-a-group can offer potential strategies (that might spark an idea for your own take on how to manage it).

We want to cheer with you and applaud your NSVs (Non Scale Victories) as well as your weigh-in victories.

This is YOUR space, so post links, motivational posters or sayings, progress stats (or pics if you are less shy than I am ... you'll notice that I don't post my own face, but that's just me)

Just so you know how helpful such interaction and group support can be ....

I joined this team in May 2018; my starting weight that month was 163.4

(I was proud to have come down 22 pounds from 184 on my own over the course of the preceding 12 months; but felt I needed to get back on MFP for the self-awareness that comes from tracking, and to find an accountability&support community)

On April 1 (one month ago), I start Transition to Maintenance, at 135.8 - Yesterday, I weighed in at 134.9, despite a mid-month Easter Bloat that needed to be dealt with.

That's 29.5 pounds in 12 months .... and I can breathe while wearing my wedding dress again, ( my 31st anniversary was less than a week ago)

Not bad for a going-on-61-yr-old, eh?

So age is no barrier.

Speed should not be an issue. You WILL get there. If you gift yourself the time to learn what "sustainable lifestyle habits" means to you during the weight-loss stage, you will never have to do the Yo-Yo thing again.

(I am not talking the normal, minor fluctuations due to salt, TOM, odd Special Occasion etc. )

Life HAPPENS! Learn to own your choice rather than letting it own (and derail) you. Continue "As Per Your Intended Usual" the next day!

Most of all,
    l9z235402hqq.jpg

48mwhl26yhyy.jpg
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Do any returning members want to change their weekly weigh-in day? No problem ... and now's the time to do it!
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Hi all and welcome to all new members. I'm 37 and a stay at home mum part time at uni. I have been overweight my whole adult life (turned 37 in march) and finally decided to do something about it. I've dieted many times before but it's always been a restrictive crash diet and inevitably I either gave up after 2 weeks or lost some weight but then regained as soon as I stopped the diet.
    I've been on MFP and F2F since February and it's the first time I'm losing weight without crazy restrictions. Feb and march went really well and I think I lost around 16lb but April has been difficult with only a very small loss so I'm staying put and hoping May will be another good month. This group is the only one I'm on, so has been invaluable to me. I enjoy reading the posts everyday and get good feedback when I post.
    Oh, and I love a little competition in my head!
    Good luck everyone!!
  • jlbtnc
    jlbtnc Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I am returning from last month. Welcome all new members and returning members. I have finally been serious with my weight loss plan since February of this year with many start overs prior to this. The change was when my hubby got diagnosed with high cholesterol and had to change his eating habits. It made it a lot easier to be able to watch what I eat now and what is coming in the house. I can't believe the weight I lost since February. I have struggles and made changes. But the thing that remained consistent is persistence to push further and not let little ant hills derail all my hard work.
    You can do this and we are all here to support you on the way! Looking forward to some challenges, I think that is what keeps me motivated the most. Good luck and enjoy your time here.
  • Andreabroadley
    Andreabroadley Posts: 5,455 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Andreabroadley
    Weigh In Day: Sunday
    PW: 169.6
    CW: 169.3

The cherry blossoms are about to bloom here, and it a nice sunny day, so I am out for a walk to inspect them! Enjoy your day, everyone!
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,266 Member
    Options
    Hello to all new and returning members. I’m Michele and I’m 54. I live in North Carolina. I have been with this group for a few months now and have found it so helpful and supportive. I’ve learned new things about the process of getting healthy that will help carry me to a fit life. Slow and steady wins the race. I’ve lost over 17 pounds since I started in January. That may not sound like much compared to some of you, but if I keep that up the rest of the year that’s over 50 pounds. I’ll take that.

This month my goal is to get (well) into Onederland. I’m, oh so, close. I also want to work on more intentional exercise.

Looking forward to getting to know and support you all.
  • Navydaddjtc
    Options
    WEEK 1 MOD CHALLENGE ....DRINK IT UP
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10742403/week-1-mod-challenge-drink-it-up#latest
    LET'S DRINK TILL WE SHRINK
  • Navydaddjtc
    Options
    THE BASEBALL CHALLENGE HAS COME TO AN END
    I WILL BE TALLYING IT ALL AND WILL POST THE RESULTS LATER
    GREG
  • Pearl4686
    Options
    So, following my very positive post earlier, I decided to do my workout, which I haven't been doing for 3 weeks. I had to stop halfway through as the little one became cranky. Got so frustrated I can't seem to get on top of things (chronic procrastinator) and now find myself snacking on biscuits and crisps and telling myself 'i don't care' when clearly, I do!
    Help, how do I snap back into the zone?!!
  • kx7003
    kx7003 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    @Perla4686 you need to snack on low calorie snacks when you get fed up and ensure you say within a calorie deficit. It’s ok to get upset and have crisps and biscuits as long as you are still in a calorie deficit. I find that a black tea with a teaspoon of brown sugar can give me a sweet treat to sip on and curbs my craving for junk food when I feel fed up. It also lasts longer than a bag of crisps which I usually take about 60secs to gobble down. Remember you always have time to remedy a binge by waiting for the junk food to digest then doing a workout to reverse the damage. Even if it’s a small ten minute jog that can still burn 100 calories and reduce the intake of calories you consumed. Let us know how you get on. Ps yesterday I had 3x bags of crisps but I remained within my calorie deficit as I did 20 mins of exercise and had smaller meals for dinner.
  • Pearl4686
    Options
    I will try to have a smaller dinner tonight & who knows, maybe I'll get a workout in...
    Thanks @kx7003
  • Navydaddjtc
    Options
    WEEK ONE GROUP CHALLENGE PROVIDED BY THE WORKOUT WARRIORS
    BEST GROUP CHALLENGE EVER'......
    THIS WEEKS GROUP CHALLENGE IS SPONSORED IN PART BY THE WORKOUT WARRIORS TEAM
    HERE IS HOW IT'S GOING TO WORK
    THIS A TEAM CHALLENGE MEANING YOU COMPETE WITHIN YOUR OWN TEAM....
    THE CHALLENGE IS ..
    THE MOST STEPS IN THE WEEK
    ..SO TEAM CAPTAINS YOU COPY AND PASTE BLANK ROWS ON THE STEP SPREADSHEET TO ALLOW ROOM FOR THOSE THAT ARE TAKING PART IN THIS CHALLENGE.
    THE MOST WEIGHT LOST IN A WEEK......
    ... THIS WILL BE DONE ON THE SPREAD SHEET FOR THE WEEK
    THE MOST WATER DRANK IN THE WEEK
    THIS CAN BE KEPT ON THE DAILY CHECK OR HOWEVER YOUR TEAM DOES THAT

NOW IF YOUR THE WINNER FROM YOUR TEAM I WILL MAKE YOU A CERTIFICATE AND E MAIL IT TO YOU AND I WILL POST IT ON THE TEAM THREAD AND IN THE CAPT'S LOUNGE FOR EACH TEAM WINNER.

THE ONLY RULE IS THAT YOU HAVE TO BE THE WINNER IN ALL THREE CATEGORIES...TEAM CAPTAINS WILL HAVE THE FINAL SAY ON YOUR TEAM IF THERE IS TIE THE MODS WILL MAKE THE FINAL CALL WITH THE ADVICE OF THE TEAM CAPTAINS

NOW LETS HAVE SERIOUS TRASH TALKING AND SOME SERIOUS FUN.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    WEEK ONE GROUP CHALLENGE PROVIDED BY THE WORKOUT WARRIORS
    BEST GROUP CHALLENGE EVER'......
    THIS WEEKS GROUP CHALLENGE IS SPONSORED IN PART BY THE WORKOUT WARRIORS TEAM
    HERE IS HOW IT'S GOING TO WORK
    THIS A TEAM CHALLENGE MEANING YOU COMPETE WITHIN YOUR OWN TEAM....
    THE CHALLENGE IS ..
    THE MOST STEPS IN THE WEEK
    THE MOST WEIGHT LOST IN A WEEK
    THE MOST WATER DRANK IN THE WEEK

THE ONLY RULE IS THAT YOU HAVE TO BE THE WINNER IN ALL THREE CATEGORIES...TEAM CAPTAINS WILL HAVE THE FINAL SAY ON YOUR TEAM IF THERE IS A TIE. THE MODS WILL MAKE THE FINAL CALL WITH THE ADVICE OF THE TEAM CAPTAINS

NOW LETS HAVE SERIOUS TRASH TALKING AND SOME SERIOUS FUN.

Annd .... Wee're OFF! @Andreabroadley takes an early lead ... (as the only team member with a Sunday Weigh In Day!)

Thank you for weighing in without even a head's up prompt.

Two Weigh-In Reports due tomorrow (Monday):

@reflectionofme
    @tdrjustus3 (if a different day of the week for your weigh-in report will be easier for you report on time - we can change it - great to see your re-commitment statement, and let us know how best to encourage you!)
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Sundays are always my Self-Care (aka Sleep In) days .... but here I am, and tracking duties duly done.

Whenever anyone asks me "Any plans for the weekend?" I always answer "Yes .... NOT turning on the alarm for two days!! Then play it by ear" (The alarm rings at 6:00 a.m. through the work week - and I have a self-imposed pledge to get up right away - and NO opening a book - so that I can get away from the house ahead of the thickest of the commuting traffic. No-alarm days are my reward)

What do YOU do as a Self-Care / Show Yourself Some Self-Love activity? It needn't be restricted to a weekend.

And for some - it may be more energizing / active (as a break from tied-to-a-desk stress) vs quiet-contemplative like yoga / a bubblebath / getting lost in a good book.

• BMcC9
    Options
    This is Day 1 of Week 1 of a new month .... time (especially for returning members) to let us - the co-caps - know what DIDN'T help or encourage you last month .... and what will help and encourage you the most throughout May.

The end of April had several weeks of an Inter-Team BaseBall challenge .... which kinda hi-jacked the thread content (especially for some who were not in a position to actively join in). That comment can be passed back to the larger circle of Moderators - to be taken into account for future long-running inter-team activity-based challenges.

We'll keep that feedback in mind.

SOOOO - What WOULD you like to see / hear about / discuss / strategize / give and receive brainstorming input on?

This is OUR Team Chat Room. We can set the style to whatever suits us.

And there are 6 teams in all .... with each Chat Room taking on a sightly different flavour and approach depending on the mix of personalities on that particular team .... feel free to visit the others, and if you find a better match for your personality, we would FAR rather you be on A F2F team than lose out completely on the help and support to be gained from mutual support.

I am going to be throwing up a wide range of support material for the first few days ... longer ones will be inside "spoiler" bars so that you can choose whether to read the details or not ... either because it isn't a facet of interest for you, or because you are already familiar with it.

If YOU have come across a video link or blog post or read a book that particularly helped or resonated with you, tell us about it! It might be JUST the thing someone else here needs to know about!
This discussion has been closed.