What's on your mind today?

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
This is where you can share what's on your mind. Recipes, ideas, workouts, anything that you think might be helpful to others.

Maybe, you've tried something that has worked for you in the past and would like to share it with the group. Maybe, you have a NSV (Non Scale Victory) that you would like to share with the group. Anything that you feel comfortable sharing or anything that you feel comfortable asking the group with help....this is the place to come.

The GOOD!! What NSV did you have this week!!
The BAD!! So what....you ate the whole thing!!
The UGLY!! That darn scale went through the window this week....it deserved it too!!

So, what's on your mind today??

Replies

• hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I am already thinking of strategies to be successful in the UAC June forum!

Specifically, I have committed to staying under my calories during a week of vacation. I have re-read other user's posts about how they managed their vacation calories in May & April.
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    @Jays_Lines, here's to your success in June!!

@hansep0012, it's really doable and you feel so much better about yourself when you return and don't have to "undo" the damage. Hope you have a great time when you're on vacation!
  • Rozbee1
    Rozbee1 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thankyou Rick for hosting another month of the challenge.
    This month has had its ups and downs but we all can rely on the constancy of the fellow dieters and fitness heroes or heroines on this app.
    Thankyou to you all, you give so much encouragement.
    Have a great day you deserve it !!!👏
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    June is a couple of days away now.In anticipation I kind of get to thinking about my motivation. Why do I want this? Why should I care?
    I guess I have to answer myself.
    - Health -
    That is a good reason.
    Love your enthusiasm...welcome back!
  • Alexbuzzcut
    Alexbuzzcut Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Last month was a huge success, only one pass day. I’m looking forward to another month!
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    UAC is all about establishing healthy habits (which is all about building self-discipline). I ran across this excellent article about self discipline that is very appropriate for anyone on a weight loss journey as well as being more broadly applicable.

https://blog.iqmatrix.com/self-discipline
  • Ketch_22
    Ketch_22 Posts: 12,711 Member
    Options
    jan110144 wrote: »
    UAC is all about establishing healthy habits (which is all about building self-discipline). I ran across this excellent article about self discipline that is very appropriate for anyone on a weight loss journey as well as being more broadly applicable.

https://blog.iqmatrix.com/self-discipline

Great article! thanks for posting.

"Having self-discipline isn’t just about consistently doing something, it’s instead about systematically regulating, correcting, and adapting your behavior to the changing conditions and circumstances of your life."

• am_change
    am_change Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    @TerriRichardson112 oh no! Hope you make a full recovery soon. Well done for keeping on keeping on!
  • am_change
    Options
    @craigo3154 no offence meant here but during your time on the UAC you have been super human and for a non-super-human I have been inspired by you but felt I could never match your high standards. I'm sure you will never/rarely miss the winner's circle again but it was a humble reminder to the rest of us that you are human too. Your honesty is inspiring too. Wishing you a wonderful June!
  • am_change
    Options
    @bocasdelcrazygrandpa bob is back! Hooray! Please write a book one day!
  • Alexbuzzcut
    Alexbuzzcut Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure why I didn’t qualify for the May winners circle. I had only one pass day. I also checked in everyday. Did I do something wrong?
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    @Alexbuzzcut, usually @RangerRickL posts the contenders that have mentioned they have made it all month with three or fewer pass days and then asks if there is anyone else that made it. I am sure it was not intentional, or you doing anything wrong. I believe Rick may still be out of town with the wedding and will respond as soon as he's able. Congratulations on making it all month! That's commendable!! :star:
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure why I didn’t qualify for the May winners circle. I had only one pass day. I also checked in everyday. Did I do something wrong?

@Alexbuzzcut. As @BonnieHosk85. mentioned, you need to nominate in the last couple days of the month whether you make circle. Rick calls for nominations in the last few days of the month in the opening post and reads to see who responds if they are in or out.

UAC is an honor system, so you need to track and report yourself if you make it. Part of the daily checkin.

This system usually works well as long term weight and health management relies on being honest with yourself (even when you don't want to be).
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    Random though for the day.

I've been in maintenance for over a year. My weight and fitness have remained roughly consistent (which I class as a huge success). I plan to be on maintenance for the rest of my life. Fortunately I made maintenance for me mostly automatic. :)

At times I notice myself slipping out of healthy habits and I adjust to get them back (usually by forgiving the past and just working on making tomorrow more in line with what I know it should be).

How do others see their long term health/weight management plan/strategy?

How do you get yourself back on track when you are straying from the path you set for yourself?
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Only in maintenance for 4 months. So not enough hx yet. My sense, though, is I will continue tracking food (exercise is never an issue) daily indefinitely. I have relaxed a bit. I have set a daily calorie allowance based on TDEE and now ignore exercise calories. Right now I still weigh daily, but can foresee a time soon where that will reduce to once or twice a month. Maintenance is starting to become more "automatic", but not quite there yet.
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    My initial weight loss was 40-45 pounds in 2011 with the help of tracking and logging calories with caloriecount.com which site transitioned all of its customer base in early 2017 to an affiliate site without the benefit of the calorie counting and nutrition tools previously available to users. I was very disappointed given I had spent an inordinate amount of time personalizing recipes, data, etc. to my individual needs. By August 2017, I had regained 8 pounds, although I was still within a healthy BMI...so I started logging with MFP in September 2017 commencing, once again, to enter recipes/ingredients to personalize MFP for my needs. I started with UAC in December 2017 and was back on track and at goal weight, again, in early 2018. I have, effectively, been at a healthy BMI since 2011 BUT... I do know that without consistently logging calories, tracking weight and exercise I would not be able to sustain goal for any length of time. Intuitive eating is definitely NOT an option for me. I allow myself +/- 2 to 3 pounds from goal before taking any decisive action to stay on target. I still weigh, regularly, using the scale simply as a tool for spotting a needed correction.