What's on your mind today?

Options
13»

Replies

• w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    _JeffreyD_ wrote: »
    What is the diameter of the shell. That is a beauty!

I would guesstimate the turtle shell to be 7-8" across and 8-9" long.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    Ketch_22 wrote: »
    People keep posting they limit processed foods. Assuming they mean frozen and take out meals etc.
    Being married to an avid hunter and fisherman... processed to me means he took care of it in the woods and he's cooking tonight :) Just thought I'd give a different perspective.

Actually processed foods include things like breakfast cereals, bread, fruit juice, etc... This is as well as food that has a high number of additives (preservatives, flavour enhancers, etc..)

Generally if you find it in the middle of the supermarket, or it has a long shelf life (more than a couple of weeks), it is processed.

Processing of carbohydrate rich food generally strips the fibre and concentrates the sugars. This does two things. 1) the food becomes less filling (and easy to over-eat). 2) the sugars are absorbed quicker (giving a quicker boost to both blood sugar and insulin levels).

Longer, higher insulin levels are linked to insulin resistance (or type 2 diabetes).

Limiting processed food and consuming more natural foods you generally consume less calories, remain satiated longer and absorb more nutrients from the food.

Hope this all makes sense.
  • Ketch_22
    Ketch_22 Posts: 12,711 Member
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    People keep posting they limit processed foods. Assuming they mean frozen and take out meals etc.
    Being married to an avid hunter and fisherman... processed to me means he took care of it in the woods and he's cooking tonight :) Just thought I'd give a different perspective.

Actually processed foods include things like breakfast cereals, bread, fruit juice, etc... This is as well as food that has a high number of additives (preservatives, flavour enhancers, etc..)

Very informative but I was being facetious :)
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,136 Member
    Options
    Love how people are now being more pro-active at maintaining their health.

For most of us, our "automatic pilot" was broken and we were steering ourselves into dangerous waters.

For me it took a full reset of my "auto-pilot" to get me on track. My food preferences needed a change. My regular eating times needed a change. My default activity level needed a change. My response to stress needed to change. Now my "auto-pilot" is now steering me where I want to go (and I check regularly if it needs adjustment).

For a change in perspective. Take a look at those around you: friends, family, colleagues and acquaintances. What do they do on "auto-pilot"? What do they eat when given a choice? How much do they eat? When do they eat? What activity do they do? How do they cope with adversity, increased work loads, troubles, ect...? What's their "auto-pilot" setting.

It's what you do when you DON'T think about it that really shapes who you are. This is your "auto-pilot".

In the "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" the 7th habit is "Sharpen the Saw" (A sharp saw cuts more effectively). This means take time to review what you do and how you have been going. Also gives time and focus to perform the maintenance required to do what you want more effectively. (Ever been too busy driving to stop for gas? {right before you ran out} ).

How often do you "Sharpen the Saw"? (This is akin to monitoring and adjusting your auto-pilot.)

brilliant post @craigo3154
    Thank you!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,136 Member
    Options

Generally if you find it in the middle of the supermarket, or it has a long shelf life (more than a couple of weeks), it is processed.

Processing of carbohydrate rich food generally strips the fibre and concentrates the sugars. This does two things. 1) the food becomes less filling (and easy to over-eat). 2) the sugars are absorbed quicker (giving a quicker boost to both blood sugar and insulin levels).

Longer, higher insulin levels are linked to insulin resistance (or type 2 diabetes).

Limiting processed food and consuming more natural foods you generally consume less calories, remain satiated longer and absorb more nutrients from the food.

@craigo3154 AND consumption of processed foods (particularly nitrites/nitrates) is now linked to IBD. Rates skyrocketing in China & India due to processed western foods.
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Now that we're at the end of the month, I have a simple question. Does one ever get beyond looking forward to a pass day?
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Now that we're at the end of the month, I have a simple question. Does one ever get beyond looking forward to a pass day?

I love that you put that out there for us to consider. It reminds me that I need to lighten up. In my head, pass days are the debil.

• Ketch_22
    Ketch_22 Posts: 12,711 Member
    Options

I don't "look forward" to pass days, in my mind I consider them days I didn't fulfill my part. However, if I had a big event; wedding, party, vacation I would consider those reward days. For me as a Stay at home Mom I always plan meals in am because everyone asks (tracking) I always have to walk my dogs 2 miles and maintain the house (exercise) and I just have never been a snacker (calories) so at this point in life UAC is do-able. I admire those who work all day and then go to the gym or run etc. I can honestly say if I worked fulltime I would have failed this on day 3 of the month. Not to mention my kids would have simply starved because I wouldn't cook after a long day. It's nice to see many companies today offer free healthy lunch served as well as a free onsite gym.
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Finally, I am ahead in my classwork that I feel like I can emerge from my "study cave"! This week's goals are to track everything (including MFP activity), drink water, start treadmill schedule again, and lose 2 pounds. I feel like I am always restarting this. I need to make this a lifestyle, not a diet that I can start and stop when life gets busy.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    KCJen wrote: »
    Finally, I am ahead in my classwork that I feel like I can emerge from my "study cave"! This week's goals are to track everything (including MFP activity), drink water, start treadmill schedule again, and lose 2 pounds. I feel like I am always restarting this. I need to make this a lifestyle, not a diet that I can start and stop when life gets busy.

This!! 🙂 Finally recognizing this truth has made all the difference for me.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    @w8goal4life Alas, most of my pass days are a complete surprise. The main difference now is that I have stopped beating myself up when one happens and just try to jump back on the wagon the next day.

One of the things I like
    Most about the UAC is that the 3 allowed pass days clearly send the message that it is all about consistency not perfection.