June 14 Sign In

Options
13»

Replies

• hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 I would recommend the following things to do at Lake Tahoe:

Rent a bike in Tahoe City and do the six mile ride along the Truckee River, in addition to being very scenic and well-maintained it is appropriate for all fitness levels (including children). I think the cost for two hours was $12 plus a charge for a helmet (wear a helmet!). They also rented "chariots" to tow small children / dogs.

Hike to the Vikinsholm (Viking House) at Emerald Bay (South Shore). There are two different hikes, one is a steep .75 mile (one way) and the other a more gentle 1.5 miles (one way) with a view of the bay, eagles, etc. with access through a campground. Last year I was not fit enough for either hike, this year I did the 1.5 miles with a 400' elevation change. There is a fee to see the house ($15 adult), but it offers both a guide and free range time to explore this unique historic site.

Donner Museum is a small but well-done CA State Park and has free admission. The parking fee you pay is good not only at the museum but the whole day for any CA State Park. It is an interactive museum which my grandchildren found entertaining and the short video was informative and well crafted, worth seeing.

Finally, consider going to Donner Lake City Park for an afternoon of water play. Although there is a small entrance fee there are lifeguards, paddle boat rentals, kayak rentals, shade, grass, sand, restrooms and concessions.

Wear sunscreen, drink water, have a hat and sunglasses because the elevation at 6,000' is deceptive.

HAVE A BLAST!!!!!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,133 Member
    Options
    hansep0012 wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly2017 I would recommend the following things to do at Lake Tahoe:

Rent a bike in Tahoe City and do the six mile ride along the Truckee River, in addition to being very scenic and well-maintained it is appropriate for all fitness levels (including children). I think the cost for two hours was $12 plus a charge for a helmet (wear a helmet!). They also rented "chariots" to tow small children / dogs.

Hike to the Vikinsholm (Viking House) at Emerald Bay (South Shore). There are two different hikes, one is a steep .75 mile (one way) and the other a more gentle 1.5 miles (one way) with a view of the bay, eagles, etc. with access through a campground. Last year I was not fit enough for either hike, this year I did the 1.5 miles with a 400' elevation change. There is a fee to see the house ($15 adult), but it offers both a guide and free range time to explore this unique historic site.

Donner Museum is a small but well-done CA State Park and has free admission. The parking fee you pay is good not only at the museum but the whole day for any CA State Park. It is an interactive museum which my grandchildren found entertaining and the short video was informative and well crafted, worth seeing.

Finally, consider going to Donner Lake City Park for an afternoon of water play. Although there is a small entrance fee there are lifeguards, paddle boat rentals, kayak rentals, shade, grass, sand, restrooms and concessions.

Wear sunscreen, drink water, have a hat and sunglasses because the elevation at 6,000' is deceptive.

HAVE A BLAST!!!!!

@hansep0012 Thank you so MUCH!! These sound like so much fun!

And congratulations on your healthy & fitness gains!! Bravo❣️