Ready to SCREAM!

Options
124»

Replies

• BlancheandSmooshyface
    BlancheandSmooshyface Posts: 67 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Okay, since my last weigh in on July 1, I have not lost so much as a single ounce. This CAN'T be normal?
  • BlancheandSmooshyface
    Options
    My doctor had me on a high-protein, low-carb, low-fat, 1000 calorie a day diet. I was losing weight, however, I knew I would not last on it because of the monotony of vegetables (which I don't particularly care for), and lean meat and fish. Started hearing more and more about Keto and the thought of being able to eat some of the things I was missing was too tempting to resist. Switched over to Keto but he is not at all pleased with my lack of weight loss. The thing is, maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I feel I look thinner and my clothes feel looser.
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My doctor had me on a high-protein, low-carb, low-fat, 1000 calorie a day diet. I was losing weight, however, I knew I would not last on it because of the monotony of vegetables (which I don't particularly care for), and lean meat and fish. Started hearing more and more about Keto and the thought of being able to eat some of the things I was missing was too tempting to resist. Switched over to Keto but he is not at all pleased with my lack of weight loss. The thing is, maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I feel I look thinner and my clothes feel looser.

I would try to hit between closer to 1200 cals/day. Watch your sodium levels, get plenty of sleep, drink plenty of water. Take pics and measurements for comparison.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

I would try to hit between closer to 1200 cals/day. Watch your sodium levels, get plenty of sleep, drink plenty of water. Take pics and measurements for comparison.

Agree with above commenter.
    I was told by dietician and cardiologists adult females trying to lose weight should never comsume less than 1200 calories a day sedentary, and 1300-1500 for active.

This was after heart failure, due to anorexia, and consuming around 1000 calories a day.

And to add to above comment:
    fat and carbs are both energy sources (fuels for the body), proteins are building blocks. I can't see cutting both carbs and fats. You need one. That's why most medical recommended diets are low carb or low fat, but not both.
  • BlancheandSmooshyface
    edited July 2019
    Options
    !I was told by dietician and cardiologists adult females trying to lose weight should never comsume less than 1200 calories a day sedentary, and 1300-1500 for active.!

Unfortunately, after three minor heart attacks in as many months, tests showed that my heart and lungs were not functioning properly due to excessive fat literally crushing them. Was told that unless I get my weight down by at least 50 lbs. immediately, I could have a massive coronary at any time. I was put on a high protein, low carb, 1000 calorie a day diet.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    edited July 2019
    Options
    !I was told by dietician and cardiologists adult females trying to lose weight should never comsume less than 1200 calories a day sedentary, and 1300-1500 for active.!

Unfortunately, after three minor heart attacks in as many months, tests showed that my heart and lungs were not functioning properly due to excessive fat literally crushing them. Was told that unless I get my weight down by at least 50 lbs. immediately, I could have a massive coronary at any time. I was put on a high protein, low carb, 1000 calorie a day diet.

@BlancheandSmooshyface

Damn, sorry to hear that! That's rough!! I had fluids crushing my heart and lungs, probably a similar sensation! With over 100 lbs gained in two months from fluids, which completely deformed my body. It was a living hell! So, I can somewhat imagine!

Hope you find healing. I always say the body has amazing healing capabilities!!

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

If you want to stay on the 1000 calorie diet with your doctor's supervision, that's up to you, but you weren't even getting to that according to your diary. At that level, that 100-300 that you short yourself is huge. We're talking upwards of a third short of what your goal is, which is amplified by the fact that it's so little to begin with.
    This was after heart failure, due to anorexia, and consuming around 1000 calories a day.

For those in the audience who may be doubting that eating 1000 calories can be considered anorexic levels - yes, this is considered anorexic levels. To compare, the prisoners in the Nazi concentration camps were given upwards of about 1300-1700 calories (1/3 the amount they needed for the work they were doing). So if you're working out extensively and eating 1000 calories (or, more specifically - you're eating a third of what you should be for your activity level), you're starving yourself worse than the Nazis starved the people they were hell-bent on exterminating, and you really shouldn't be continuing that for an extended period of time (and arguably shouldn't be doing it at all unless the risks of not doing so outweigh the risks of doing it).

http://holocaustresearchproject.org/othercamps/auschwitzbasics.html
    https://180degreehealth.com/the-concentration-camp-diet/
  • BlancheandSmooshyface
    Options
    Changed my caloric goals to 1200 per day. This way, if I keep shorting myself, I'll still be within the 1000 range the doctor put me on. However, I don't think I'll be shorting myself much longer. When I first started Keto, I was basically sticking to the diet the hospital provided (i.e. lean meats, fish, salads, veggies). After seeing all the Keto meal suggestions in the Forums though, I'm beginning to experiment. LOVE the bacon wrapped, cream cheese stuffed, baked chicken. Next Keto Fat Head Pizza and Shrimp Scampi with Nasoya Pasta Zero Spaghetti Shirataki. They look Yummy!
  • mamari
    mamari Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are you eating veggies like spring lettuce, celery, cucumbers? Perhaps you need more fiber? And drink 6-8 cups of water?
  • BlancheandSmooshyface
    Options
    Can't eat high fiber, raw veggies. I have Crohn's and they cause flare-ups. I do drink plenty of water though.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Can't eat high fiber, raw veggies. I have Crohn's and they cause flare-ups. I do drink plenty of water though.

@BlancheandSmooshyface

My daughter has Crohn's disease. It is hell!

That was one of the original reasons we started looking into keto, because she, at 20 years old, was severely anemic, if she ate any vegetables would have internal and anal bleeding, and cardiovascular problems.

She is also pre-diabetic, from years of living on an all starch-all sugar diet.

I started her drinking daily a broth of dried mung beans and dates simmered on low for 2 hours, and added very little brown sugar, heavy cream, and cinnamon for taste,
    14 days of drinking broth and her anemia reversed. Then started her on low carb, higher proteins and fats diet.

About a month in and we are, very slowly adding vegetables back in her diet. So far, so good! She's had broccoli and peppers now for almost a week (very little amount and cooked). Two nights ago started eating spinach (again, very little amount and cooked, not chancing raw).

Healing is a process, reversing illnesses and diseases is possible! Positive and survival mindsets always helps when battling diseases. Stay positive! Maintain hope! Never too late to regain health!