10,000 steps!

Options
lizz2013
lizz2013 Posts: 331 Member
So, while I'm getting used to the food side of things, I also need to move more on a daily basis (and not just when I can be bothered to go to the gym)

I know some of you are already following the 10,000 steps challenge. Can anyone recommend an app for it? And who wants to do it with me?

10,000 a day and 70,000 a week (so if you don't manage it on one day you've got to make it up during the week!)

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Me...me...ME! I'll do it with you. I must confess, I haven't accomplished doing this AT ALL this week.

I use this thingy called a nano watch. It has this thingy on it called Nike ap and counts my steps and cals. I don't trust it 100% though. Today is a fast day for me and I'll not exercising today--but will start tomorrow with ya--YIKES!
  • lizz2013
    Options
    yaye! I'm sure this will help us! Yesterday I was running on the spot to try and get the number up so there's no way it could be bad :)

So, lets see what we can get up to and if we aren't reaching 10k steps then we can set targets and work our way up to it :)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Okay girlfriend...consider the gauntlet thrown DOWN--starting today!

Let's log our steps here on this tread daily....

I'll start within the next hour. What I'll do today is:

walk around the lake (that's two miles and usually about 3,000 steps or so) and also do some old school gymnastics (push-ups, sit-ups, balance beam and stretching and such).

Then I'll do my Leslie Sansone Walk Strong dvd...that's 2 miles of brisk walking with various intervals in between the walk. (that's another 3,000 or so steps) That's a relatively easy and quick 30 minute walk.

I'm going shopping today for about 45-60 minutes that should be another 2,000 or so steps.

Then I'll go for an evening walk...that's another 3,000 or so steps...so I'll let you know today's total tonight.

God bless, Best wishes and the blasted enemy of gluttony, laziness, fat and flab's days are number in and on us. THANK YOU ever so much for being my accountability partner is this. BOOM!
  • lizz2013
    Options
    oh you are definitely going to beat me today! I work from home and got loads to do today so I'll be lucky to hit 2,000. I can see you're going to keep me active! I'll squeeze in a walk this evening and run up the stairs a few hundred times :)
  • lizz2013
    Options
    Total for today 1850steps. That's so bad I finally realise why I gained so much weight since working from home. Well 2moro I WILL hit 10k :)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Day 1

Bless God Almighty..I've got POWER today! I did ALL of this consecutively...90 minutes walking (I walked around the lake TWICE, that's 4 miles) then I went grocery shopping for at least 30 minutes, then came home and did Leslie Sansone Walk Strong (that's 2 miles in 30 minutes w/intevals) 11,0661 steps today---WOOT!!!!! Thank you Lord. Also...my Nano pedometer says I only burned 345 cals and my total duration today was 3 hours and 15 minutes of getting off my duff and hustling--YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sidenote: MFP says I burned 636 cals...I'm more trusting the nano 345 cals...

:love: :heart: :heart: :heart: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :heart: :heart: :heart: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :love:

Dearest Lizz--

My beloved new friend, let me tell you. God gave me the POWER to do this. I've ONLY walked around that lake twice once before. I was thinking about our challenge and YOU and got such enthusiasm and strength. I literally thank God Almighty for you, as you are blessing me in ways that you will NEVER know about in this lifetime.

I also did some sit-ups, push-ups and old school gym exercises at the lake too. Thank you for being my accountability partner...I love you!!!! {{{{ Hugs}}}}
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Total for today 1850steps. That's so bad I finally realise why I gained so much weight since working from home. Well 2moro I WILL hit 10k :)

I am so proud of you--and cheering you on big-time too. You ROCK, period.:drinker:
  • lizz2013
    Options
    You sweetheart. You are helping me a great deal. Today I have to go shopping so hopefully that will help me reach 10k. I'm surprised your epic walking didn't add up to more than 11k. Thank you so much for doing this with me! We are going to be so svelt in 10 weeks time :) xxx
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    You sweetheart. You are helping me a great deal. Today I have to go shopping so hopefully that will help me reach 10k. I'm surprised your epic walking didn't add up to more than 11k. Thank you so much for doing this with me! We are going to be so svelt in 10 weeks time :) xxx

:indifferent: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :grumble: :noway: :grumble::sad: :explode: :angry: :mad: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :indifferent:

Girlllllll.................it DEFINITELY was, because once I got about 3/4 of the way around the lake the first time, I checked my blasted nano thingy and FORGOT TO TURN THE BLASTED WALKING/STEPS FUNCTION ON:sick:

So, I just posted what I had an figured WHATEVAH! I'll be sure to check that it's on first from now on (God Willing).

Today's plan....I'm going to "TRY" to walk to the lake instead of drive :noway: that's about 4 miles or so to and back...then the gang and I will go to the city and do some galavanting around as well. We'll see. I'm post my results tonight. :flowerforyou:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Day 2

1 hour and 17 minutes of power walking today. The gang and I walked super FAST up to the lake (instead of driving) late this evening...we walked super fast. because we wanted to walk around the lake before dark...WOW! We cut thru a path that lead us half way around the lake--so instead of 2 miles, about a mile and a quarter or so around the lake and the walk to and from our house to the lake is 2 miles, so about 3 and quarter miles. Sweat is pouring from my head and I feel like a first class winner. 4867 steps today...and I though I was gonna be a bum today and get zero exercise--didn't make the 10,000 steps today but almost half is better than none--Hmmmph. WOOT!
  • lizz2013
    Options
    wooooooh! power walking is probably better than a gentle stroll so it is still a win!!! I didn't make it to 10k either, but so far I've doubled my steps each day, pretty much :)

Thurs: 523 steps (only turned it on halfway through the day)
    Fri: 1790 steps
    Sat: 3417 steps
    Sun: aiming for 7k :) but we'll see :)

Now when I started this I said we should aim for 70k each week, which means I've got a lot of making up to do next weeeeeeeeek! Gonna take it from Sat til Fri I think. (need to do 11,100 daily now!)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Day 2

1 hour and 17 minutes of power walking today. The gang and I walked super FAST up to the lake (instead of driving) late this evening...we walked super fast. because we wanted to walk around the lake before dark...WOW! We cut thru a path that lead us half way around the lake--so instead of 2 miles, about a mile and a quarter or so around the lake and the walk to and from our house to the lake is 2 miles, so about 3 and quarter miles. Sweat is pouring from my head and I feel like a first class winner. 4867 steps today...and I though I was gonna be a bum today and get zero exercise--didn't make the 10,000 steps today but almost half is better than none--Hmmmph. WOOT!

Day 3:

1 hour and 37 minutes of walking. I starting to walk to the lake, got half way there...felt a wee rain drop and that was JUST the excuse I needed to not walk. The Lord had Mercy and had me get the car and drive up to the lake...I walked around 1 time, so about 3 miles thus far and 5518 steps. I was going to walk around the lake twice, but haven't had anything up a cup of coffee this morning and am feeling hungry, so my The Grace of God...I'll do some more walking this evening to make my 10,000 steps. Also my nano says I only burned: 258 cals NOT 363--I put down slow walking because MPF's cals burned at 3.5 miles was much higher. I didn't walk slow, a nice clip. Also...it didn't rain anymore ;p
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Day 2

Day 3:

1 hour and 37 minutes of walking. I starting to walk to the lake, got half way there...felt a wee rain drop and that was JUST the excuse I needed to not walk. The Lord had Mercy and had me get the car and drive up to the lake...I walked around 1 time, so about 3 miles thus far and 5518 steps. I was going to walk around the lake twice, but haven't had anything up a cup of coffee this morning and am feeling hungry, so my The Grace of God...I'll do some more walking this evening to make my 10,000 steps. Also my nano says I only burned: 258 cals NOT 363--I put down slow walking because MPF's cals burned at 3.5 miles was much higher. I didn't walk slow, a nice clip. Also...it didn't rain anymore ;p

Day 3 Continued:

Okay, just got back from my final walk for the day/night--trying to reach 10,000 steps today. Walked at a super brisk pace with my oldest teens--57 minutes for an additional 3409 steps. The nano says I only burned 165 cals NOT 300 something MFP says. total steps today=8927 steps today! NOT 10,000--but slowly but surely getting there:drinker:
  • lizz2013
    Options
    You're doing amazingly. Yesterday I walked a super long and roundabout way to the shops (i live in the city so theres no nice lake to walk around :() and I only made 4086 but its getting higher each day :)

I so know what you mean about any excuse to not walk. I am a pro at talking myself out of exercise. I was supposed to walk to the gym today and go swimming, but I didn't get up early enough so I'm going to go as soon as I've finished my first batch of work. Only 1 month left of the pool membership so I need to make the most of it and go everyday during the week. We've got this!!!!!!!!!!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    You're doing amazingly. Yesterday I walked a super long and roundabout way to the shops (i live in the city so theres no nice lake to walk around :() and I only made 4086 but its getting higher each day :)

I so know what you mean about any excuse to not walk. I am a pro at talking myself out of exercise. I was supposed to walk to the gym today and go swimming, but I didn't get up early enough so I'm going to go as soon as I've finished my first batch of work. Only 1 month left of the pool membership so I need to make the most of it and go everyday during the week. We've got this!!!!!!!!!!

You so ROCK hitting 4086--I am soooo proud of you! Also, I do so appreciate your encouragement and what joy you bring! WOOT!!!!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Day 2

Day 3:

Day 3 Continued:

Okay, just got back from my final walk for the day/night--trying to reach 10,000 steps today. Walked at a super brisk pace with my oldest teens--57 minutes for an additional 3409 steps. The nano says I only burned 165 cals NOT 300 something MFP says. total steps today=8927 steps today! NOT 10,000--but slowly but surely getting there:drinker:

Day 4

God is soooo GOOD! I walked to the library (about a mile) then around the lake (2 miles), then from the lake to the grocery store (about 1/2 mile) then at least 20 minutes shopping, then walked home another mile...at least 4 1/2 miles or more...total steps thus far: 8991 and cals burned: 428 walking non-stop for 2 hours 21 minutes--WOOT! I'll walk around the lake this evening too (God and weather permitted) so I'll definitely make 10,000 steps today----Praise GOD!!!! YAY!!! I'll update after my evening walk!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options

Day 2

Day 3:

Day 3 Continued:

Day 4

God is soooo GOOD! I walked to the library (about a mile) then around the lake (2 miles), then from the lake to the grocery store (about 1/2 mile) then at least 20 minutes shopping, then walked home another mile...at least 4 1/2 miles or more...total steps thus far: 8991 and cals burned: 428 walking non-stop for 2 hours 21 minutes--WOOT! I'll walk around the lake this evening too (God and weather permitted) so I'll definitely make 10,000 steps today----Praise GOD!!!! YAY!!! I'll update after my evening walk!

Day 4 Continued:

Okay final walk for today. Evening walk=3695 steps. 42 minutes walking briskly. Burned: 172 cals total today= 12,686 steps today and NANO cals= 600--WOOT!
  • lizz2013
    Options
    Wow you are amazing!! I'm so proud of you for achieving so much in a day! Today's total was 7809!! Still not 10k but I'm getting there!! I'm amazed how much walking equals 10k steps. I haven't moved much at all for the last year!!! Hopefully this will help me reach onederland by sept 7th!!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Wow you are amazing!! I'm so proud of you for achieving so much in a day! Today's total was 7809!! Still not 10k but I'm getting there!! I'm amazed how much walking equals 10k steps. I haven't moved much at all for the last year!!! Hopefully this will help me reach onederland by sept 7th!!

7809????? That is nothing less than spectacular!!!!! I'm soooo proud of you. Today, I have been eating junk and cr:devil:p all today and I haven't exercised at all. :indifferent:
  • lizz2013
    Options
    We all have bad days. Shake it off and aim for the sky tomorrow :) or have an extra fast day if it was really bad ;) I'm fasting today so we'll see how if affects my energy levels. Best of luck for another day :) xxx