Training question about light and heavy weights...

StatChicBayes
StatChicBayes Posts: 343 Member
As way of introduction I'm a 57 yo female, 4'11'' and (re)started exercising to lose about 70 pounds this past February (SW 177.1 lbs) I have been doing about 40 minutes of cardio 5-6 days a week (a mix of step aerobics, latin dance, spin, or elliptical) and usually M-F (time permitting) attend a "Strong and Limber" class that combines flexibility and balance with some strength training (free weights or resistance bands). So far I have been losing 1-2 pounds a week with a current weight of 144.2.

Since March I have added weight machines to the regime; I had used them previously when getting in shape and found that helped a lot more to tone than just the lighter dumbbells that I used in the "cardio" classes. I am currently (due to time) splitting workouts so that I do 2 lower body work outs (leg press, leg extension, leg curl, hip abduction, hip adduction) every 2-3 days, alternating with upper body - pulldown, dual axis row, bench press, overhead press, front and rear delt fly - with 4 total per week max. I usually do 4 sets for each exercise, starting at 12 reps, and then if that feels comfortable increasing weight by 5 lbs each set and decreasing reps if needed. If I can still do 12 I increase the weight more trying to end at the point where I feel that I could not do more than 8. Doing this I have gradually increased the weights. I am tracking rested muscles using gymaholic, but usually have 48-72 hours rest for muscle groups.

If I am going to do the exercises on the weight machines, are the free weight exercises in the Strong and Limber class counter productive or detrimental ? (An instructor raised the issue of my frequency but I did not have a chance to follow up in more detail) - I like the class also for the flexibility, balance and core work, in addition to the social aspect. For reference - I am using 10 lb dumbbells in the class (typically 12-15 reps) I started with 5 lb was so have been gradually increasing them as well. For upper body with the machines I am using 40-65 pounds depending on the exercise (I realize that the weights don't translate between machines and dumbbells). I don't feel that I am over-training i.e I am not exercising to the point of being sore (well except for some of the lower back exercises in pilates :-) definitely not superwoman) on the other hand I do understand that with strength training using heavy weights that muscles need time to repair and re-grow so resting is important, hence I do not do the exercises with the machines back to back.

Finally, I have been contemplating working through the "Strong" book (the newer version of NROLW) with a trainer to become more serious about strength training and try new things starting later this summer when I will be in town continuously, so would welcome any opinions about others who have tried those workouts! (particularly for those who are vertically challenged!)

Replies

• Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    I am not a expert but I found that those 10lb high-rep sets in group ex held me back after a point. I love group ex so it was hard to admit. I ended up with multiple overuse issues: knee pain, tendinitis in the shoulder, even abdominal muscle trigger points (tense spots that caused me wicked back pain). I was also 10-15lbs heavier and hungry all. the. time. Probably my body trying to refuel for constant repair. Just my two cents: focus on progressive lifting and getting proper rest and recovery in between.
  • zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,843 Member
    58 here, almost 59. While I agree that rest is important I also think that if you love the class don't give it up. Maybe use smaller dumbbells so your muscles can still get a rest from lifting. Also not an expert. I am doing Les Mills on demand. If I could fit a live class into my schedule I would.

Shelley
  • rooneyfamilyflorida
    rooneyfamilyflorida Posts: 3 Member
    Is it best to do more reps with a manageable weight or use heavier weights with fewer reps to burn fat?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Is it best to do more reps with a manageable weight or use heavier weights with fewer reps to burn fat?

Burning fat is about energy balance (i.e. calories).

Weight lifting is for maintaining muscle mass whilst you lose weight. Lifting heavier weights will do more for your body composition. Heavier doesn't necessarily mean huge though, it's what is heavy for you. Following a progressive lifting program would be very beneficial.

There are some great links here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1