Introduce Yourself

Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm Jack. 38yrs old 5'6" starting weight 359 on January 5th. Current weight 348. Looking to get down to 200. I have ser a short term goal of 300 this year. I have been on MFP before and all my old friends are inactive.

I'd love to get some friends with similar goals and any level of motivation. I like to snoop at open diaries but it is not a requirement 😁

8 years ago I lost 100lbs in 9 months. I gained about 60 of that back. Now it's time to make these changes permanent. Thanks for reading

Hi @JackKsavestheday Jack,

I am kind of a terrible MFP friend newsfeed-wise but I am sure you will get some good ones from this group.

There is no part of temporary success that interests me either this time. This has been a theme of mine almost the entire time I have been losing. I realized it would take permanently changing my behaviors to achieve. I am not done with that task but then I am not done losing either so I have time. For me it was another reason not to try to hurry through it.

• NovusDies
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I am new, my name is Becky. I am a single mom of three kids. I began my diet on January 1st, and have already lost 8.6 lb. My starting weight was 343 and I am 5"5.

I have always been "heavier" but since my divorce I have put on nearly 80 lb. I don't feel like myself anymore and I know I am not healthy. So just trying to take it slow and keep this a long-term thing.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

~Becky

Hi @weightloss42020 Becky,

Congrats on losing close to nine pounds.

I am not sure I have had any major changes in my life that did not result in weight gain. I am hoping with all that I have learned that I will be more likely to avoid or at least keep it manageable next time so I can get it back off without this much time and effort. Time will tell.

Jump in anywhere.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Just heard of this group, but I enjoy being part of an active group, even if I lurk a lot (though I've probably got enough posts by now to have built a reputation of sorts; probably for being long-winded....)

First time i lost weight was in 2012 - I started at 281 and lost 90 lbs, but regained it after stalling out and then dealing with health issues in 2014, I gained all but 5 lbs of it back, putting me back up to 375 lbs. Calorie counting worked then, and I tried restarting several times, but the switch didn't click into the "on" position until January 2017. I dropped 110 lbs by that winter, but stalled all of 2018 and the first half or 2019 - again, and regained about 30 lbs. I topped out at 295 lbs back in the summer when the "on" switch flipped back on, and have slowly managed to get most of that 30 lbs back off again, finally crossing back over the 100 lbs off mark today.

I don't do low carb or any of the fads that are out there - I need as few restrictions as possible, and fats don't fill me up at all. I don't label food "bad" or "good"; I've just learned to evaluate something as to whether its really worth the calorie count it has; if I want it, I get it - but I've learned to take smaller portions of it when i do. I've learned to modify what I can when I can for healthier options, such as taking the mayo off sandwiches, opting for a regular bun over the specialty one, or dropping half the bun, etc or even getting the kid's size fry at McDonalds (at 100 calories) versus the small fry at 230 calories.

I'm working still on forgiving myself and not getting upset with myself if I'm not "perfect". I find it much easier to be understanding with others than myself, so that's my current battle to face.

Hi @bmeadows380,

Glad you decided to join. Congrats on the 100 milestone!

I do not allow perfection here so you will fit right in. I also do not allow any member who would defile a sandwich that is not a BLT with mayo! Kidding of course.

I have never thought to order the kid size fries if I just want a taste. I usually order a small and try to throw half away... that is so HARD. Your idea is better.

Anyway... welcome and only lurk in moderation.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies

The trick is that you have to pay for the small, but specify that you want the kids size and understand that there won't be a price decrease. McDonald's doesn't sell the kids size separately from the Happy Meals (I wish they would!), but when I make this request, its usually honored, if not completely understood lol.

Its a lot easier for me to get a smaller portion from the beginning; I have a lot of trouble with throwing stuff away - I have a time just tossing the top of my bun when I get a turkey slider no cheese at Arby's, even if it reduces the calories by 70! It comes from being raised with that mentality of wasting nothing and eating everything on your plate. I also have a hard time eating only half of something and trying to save the rest - like half a calzone. Sometimes, if I get them to box half right away, it might work, but usually, if it makes it to my fridge, I don't do well in restraining myself usually.

So whenever I can get the exact portion I want and nothing extra, even if I have to pay a little more, I'll take the option! Such as ordering 1 cookie at mcdonald's. I'll get "but its cheaper if you buy two!" I'll respond with "but I only want one - if I get two, I'm going to eat two!"

Sometimes I'll order a happy meal and get the kid's fry and the apples along with a small diet Dr. Pepper and a hamburger. The frustrating thing is when on occasion, the cashier will try to be helpful and upsize to the small fry when they realize its for an adult......
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I am not new to MFP, but for some odd reason I had not heard of this group until the last 24 hours. But then I did, and am here now.
    I have always had a weight issue, bet the list of diets tried is way longer than not tried. Until really in last 3/4 years.
    I started here on MFP and low carb in 2016 at did not last long and gave up.
    Started again in 2018 lost 65 lbs, and life got in the way.
    Started again in September 2019, and am not stopping again. Lost the 15 I had gained when I stopped logging and weighing foods in the 8 months I was away.
    Highest weight 305
    Current weight 225
    Still looking to loose another 50 lbs at minimum

I am Low Carb, no not Keto. But have been a Type2Diabetic for over 20 years, so for me what works best for not only losing weight but keeping my Blood sugar levels down is low carb and far away from white flour and sugar.
    I faithfully log all my food, and weigh it as well. And admit I prepare most food at home, better control that way.
  • Tammiann1961
    Tammiann1961 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Tammi, I am from Milwaukee Wisconsin. I have a 7 month old Granddaughter that I watch most days. I have been married 36 years, we have a 30 year old daughter and 41 year old son in law. I have had weight issues since I have been 15 or so. I have had 3 back surgeries and I have another one coming up Feb 3rd. I am getting a spinal cord stimulator implanted. I have had chronic pain for 36 years, I was thrown 20 feet or more from a horse 6 weeks after we were married! Great way to start a marriage! I started at 304 pounds last March 1st, I lost 35 pounds quite quickly, I was logging all my food. Then I got lazy, I now weight 276. I only have 28 pounds off now. I hope after I get my SCS and I am recovered that I will be able to walk(so much pain now I can not walk any kind of distance) I can't stand for very long either. I would like to add more friends and I am a supportive person. Thanks for reading my story!
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    @weightloss42020 / Becky - Welcome! I have three children, too - they are all grown now and live independently from me. I have seven step children, also grown-up people. So that's ten in all - wow - right?!
    Feel free to ask questions, look around, and feel at home.
    Pam
  • hansep0012
    Options
    @bmeadows380 Welcome! I can relate to the if-I-order-it-I'll-eat-eat routine, that's me! Just Wednesday I took a leap of faith at the local McDs by asking to substitute an egg white for the Canadian bacon on the egg white delight sandwich - and they did, for no extra charge. Go me! Who knew?

Your avatar looked familiar to me and I realize I've seen it on various message boards I've scanned over this last year in my MFP journey. Go you for posting!

Pam
  • hansep0012
    Options
    @maureenkhilde - Welcome! I, too, like to prepare most of food from scratch, at home. I like to cook. My current challenge is learning to use my InstaPot from Santa this Christmas. Now our YouTube profile is clogged with any and all InstaPot videos, lol.

Looking forward to having you here.

Pam
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Hi all,
    I am not new to MFP, but for some odd reason I had not heard of this group until the last 24 hours. But then I did, and am here now.
    I have always had a weight issue, bet the list of diets tried is way longer than not tried. Until really in last 3/4 years.
    I started here on MFP and low carb in 2016 at did not last long and gave up.
    Started again in 2018 lost 65 lbs, and life got in the way.
    Started again in September 2019, and am not stopping again. Lost the 15 I had gained when I stopped logging and weighing foods in the 8 months I was away.
    Highest weight 305
    Current weight 225
    Still looking to loose another 50 lbs at minimum

I am Low Carb, no not Keto. But have been a Type2Diabetic for over 20 years, so for me what works best for not only losing weight but keeping my Blood sugar levels down is low carb and far away from white flour and sugar.
    I faithfully log all my food, and weigh it as well. And admit I prepare most food at home, better control that way.

Hi @maureenkhilde,

Our group is still sort of new. It began in July. Also MFP doesn't have a great system for finding ones like ours. The ones with thousands of members are always up front. We get most of our members because some of us go out and link prospects.

As you can tell from the ugly graphic quitting is highly discouraged here. I consider that to be part of how I managed to get a great deal of weight off. I quit quitting.

Anyway... glad you found us.
  • hansep0012
    Options
    @whitevanman1530 / Wayne - Welcome! Nottingham? Brilliant! Don't totally laugh at me, but seriously, my kids were raised with Sunday Tea here in the USA. My Dad was an exceptional cricket player and every Sunday of my childhood was spent at the cricket field, so tea is an important tradition for me.

What kind of deliveries do you do? Right now there seems to be an opportunity to become a self-employed delivery person in the States, what with Amazon ruling the world...…

Poke around the boards and jump in as it suits you.

Pam
  • hansep0012
    Options
    @Tammiann1961 / Tammi - Welcome! 'Sconsin?! I smile as I type "Wisconsin" because it reminds me of my time in Illinois, which was special and wonderful. My family moved to Illinois and I went to high school and college during the (ahem) late 70's...…

Anyhow, thought I'd let you know that I think being a grandmother is the bomb! My granddaughter is now 13 and my grandson is 10. I also include my 3 year-old sons-girlfriend's-son as my grandchild because he is a delight, too!

Good luck with your upcoming surgery and recovery.

Pam
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    hansep0012 wrote: »
    @bmeadows380 Welcome! I can relate to the if-I-order-it-I'll-eat-eat routine, that's me! Just Wednesday I took a leap of faith at the local McDs by asking to substitute an egg white for the Canadian bacon on the egg white delight sandwich - and they did, for no extra charge. Go me! Who knew?

Your avatar looked familiar to me and I realize I've seen it on various message boards I've scanned over this last year in my MFP journey. Go you for posting!

Pam

@hansep0012 You can still get egg whites in mcDonald's where you are? I'm jealous! All my local McDonalds dropped egg white period here, so you can't get them on anything any more :(

I do trade off my pics for the seasons, but I do get lonely and chatty sometimes lol
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Hi there. My name is Wayne. I come from the UK, live near the city of Nottingham. I've struggled with my weight for many years now. Tried various so called diets and seem to not get anywhere. Currently weighing 35st 1lb (490lbs), standing 6ft 1in (185.4cm). I do work (van driver) believe it or not and I do have to walk places for my job. So slightly active lol. Just want to try and lose some weight. Little goals at the moment, may be a 1lb a week (more would be better). I know I've got a mountain to overcome in the battle but hopefully I can do something about it. Please feel free to contact me or give me advice along my journey. Many thanks Wayne

Hi @whitevanman1530 Wayne,

I am glad you decided to swing by. You should fit right in here.

One thing about your thinking here. Try not to worry about the "mountain" or think of it as battling. The only thing that you can really do is live today and try to stay in a calorie deficit. Tomorrow repeat the same. If you do that the weight will take care of itself in time. There will be struggles but if you expect to battle you may end up creating one for yourself. The trick to losing a lot of weight is to keep the things you can actually control as easy as possible so the hard things you cannot control have less chance to drag you down.

You can absolutely lose the weight and change your life.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Hi my name is Tammi, I am from Milwaukee Wisconsin. I have a 7 month old Granddaughter that I watch most days. I have been married 36 years, we have a 30 year old daughter and 41 year old son in law. I have had weight issues since I have been 15 or so. I have had 3 back surgeries and I have another one coming up Feb 3rd. I am getting a spinal cord stimulator implanted. I have had chronic pain for 36 years, I was thrown 20 feet or more from a horse 6 weeks after we were married! Great way to start a marriage! I started at 304 pounds last March 1st, I lost 35 pounds quite quickly, I was logging all my food. Then I got lazy, I now weight 276. I only have 28 pounds off now. I hope after I get my SCS and I am recovered that I will be able to walk(so much pain now I can not walk any kind of distance) I can't stand for very long either. I would like to add more friends and I am a supportive person. Thanks for reading my story!

Hi @Tammiann1961 Tammi,

Welcome to LL.

Congrats on the progress so far. You do not have much time before the surgery but every pound you can lose should benefit you in recovery. I hope the surgery is a complete success. Try to remember that while you are healing you need to be eating your maintenance calories so your body has enough energy to heal. Try to get plenty of protein.
  • melanie_marie78
    melanie_marie78 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I've been here before, but went away for a while when I was trying to juggle trying a couple of different apps. I did Noom for a while, but it was too expensive. Then I did Weight Watchers but didn't think it did anything for me that MFP doesn't do.

Anyway, it's been long enough that reintroductions are needed. I'm Melanie. I have a bit over 150 pounds to lose. Currently, I'm doing Keto. I've done it before and had my biggest long term success doing it in the past. (Over 100 pounds lost over a year and a half). I don't necessarily recommend Keto for everyone, but I struggle with PCOS/ insulin resistance and Keto helps me keep that in check. I count my carbs and calories.

I'm 2 weeks in and I feel 200 times better as already. I'm glad to have a group of people that understand the journey I'm on. I'm in it for the long term and refuse to give up despite any setbacks I've had.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    @speyerj I don't mind the book - I'm notorious for writing horribly long posts, myself :) Sounds like you've got a plan and good motivation for sticking with it. I agree - having someone in your corner who's going through the same thing and understands your challenges and your gripes is greatly needed, especially if you can't find the support at home