Introduce Yourself

NovusDies
NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
Introduce yourself here. Share as much or as little as you like.

Replies

• NovusDies
    I am working through the Beck Diet Solution workbook. I am a larger loser (85+ lbs). I've been dieting nearly constantly for 25 years. I'd like to make real sustainable change. I'm doing two things differently this time. I'm going to go slow (goal: 1/2 to 1 lb a week) and I'm going to do everything in this book. One of the things I have to do is find someone or someones to report back to on a weekly (and when it's tough, daily). I'd like this group to be my someones. : )

I would like to support you all. Please let me know what support looks like for you. For me, it's tolerating my weekly reports, and if you feel able, to give me feedback if I appear to be struggling.

I do have one question: what is a woo button?

@real_change

Welcome. This group is newly formed so not everything is in place yet but we are working on it. I think posting your weekly reports here is a good idea and feedback is seldom a problem here at MFP. lol.

I would be very interested in hearing how and why you picked your workbook. What appeals to you about this method and why you feel this will be your path to success. If you would like to start your own thread about it that would be great.

The woo button is basically that you find the post unbelievable but it often means you just don't like the poster for whatever reason. I see it used on people who ask questions about some iffy ways to lose weight but I think that is wrong because we all had to learn. It is also often mistaken for "woohoo" which is a mistake I made the first couple of weeks I was here.

• NovusDies
    YynnYange wrote: »
    Hello all! I am (soon to be) 29 years old and I have struggled with my weight and my relationship with food my entire life. I haven't been at a healthy weight for my age since I was 4 years old. I have tried COUNTLESS times in my life to lose weight and get healthy, but I've never stuck to it and have always fallen back into my struggles.

I have done a lot of mental health work over the past couple of years, but I have especially made progress over the past couple of months here. I am ready to recommit myself to getting healthy and losing fat. I'm going to commit to being kind to myself, especially in terms of my eating habits, while I get back on track. My mom and I will be rejoining our local Planet Fitness within the next couple of weeks (just waiting for our finances to be able to fit that in) and I can't wait! I absolutely LOVE working out, especially at the gym (especially weight lifting)!

My starting weight at the beginning of my journey (well, what I consider to be the "beginning" of my journey because, again, I have been struggling with my weight my whole life) was 300.9 lbs back in August of 2017. Over the past [nearly] three years, my weight has fluctuated within a 30-ish pound range, from all the times I started my journey over and then fell off again. I am currently sitting at 282 lbs. My ultimate goal weight is 135 lbs.

Anyways, sorry for the long post! I just wanted to give some details about my journey so that I can hopefully find some accountabilibuddies on here! I love having a community of people to help support each other on our journies, and I don't currently have much of one, other than my mom and sister (which is great, but I would like more lol plus I would like to find people who have as much weight to lose as I do to be able to relate to better).

Hi @YynnYange,

Welcome to Larger Losers.

The purpose behind this group is for people to socialize and support those that really understand what it means to carry a significant amount of weight and probably understand what it means to have a lot of failed attempts in the rear view mirror. I have 30 years worth myself.

This group is only just beginning but if everyone that wants this to be a success keeps coming back and posting others will follow.

You can lose the weight you want and you can be healthier as a result. You just have to keep going no matter what. Good days and bad days are just life. We just need to embrace the good, dust ourselves off from the bad, and keep moving forward.
  • NovusDies
    AnnasMom89 wrote: »
    Hey, ya'll! New to the group here but not new to MFP. I have "started over" many times in the past, but this time I'd really like to stay on track. I am NOT one for working out, nor am I one for health food. I know myself and that just won't work for me. I'm big on eating smaller portions of what I love and losing it that way. I began 30 days ago at my largest of 297. On a 5'3 frame, I feel like an Oompa Loompa. I refuse to go back there. Too much worry about my health, too tired of getting anxiety about simple things like whether or not I can fit into a go-kart during family outtings. I'm DONE! So if you're still reading, please add me. I need like-minded friends 💚

@AnnasMom89

That fitting in something anxiety sucks and it is such a not nice feeling when it turns out you can't. Toward my highest weights I just started assuming I couldn't most of the time which meant at places like Disney I was sidelined most of the time. I also experienced a lot of the health anxiety.

There is a popular saying at MFP that goes "Losing Weight is hard, having weight is hard, choose your hard."

If you know yourself though you can do it. A lot of my failures in the past because when it came to weight loss it was like I had never met myself. I kept relying on diets and willpower. I finally figured me out and that has helped me along this path.
  • melanie_marie78
    melanie_marie78 Posts: 17 Member
    Hi everyone! This is probably my billionth time restarting weight loss, but I feel like my mindset is in a more committed place right now. My last big successful diet was 2 years ago when I did keto. After some emotional setbacks, I just couldn't get recommitted to that diet, and I want to do something more sustainable for my current life. Plain simple calorie counting is my goal. I'm excited to be part of a group, and hope to connect with other people in the same boat as me with similar goals.
  • NovusDies
    Hi everyone! This is probably my billionth time restarting weight loss, but I feel like my mindset is in a more committed place right now. My last big successful diet was 2 years ago when I did keto. After some emotional setbacks, I just couldn't get recommitted to that diet, and I want to do something more sustainable for my current life. Plain simple calorie counting is my goal. I'm excited to be part of a group, and hope to connect with other people in the same boat as me with similar goals.

@melanie_marie78

Welcome. Sounds like you are ready and I am excited that you want to share your journey with this group. There is nothing you can do to screw up your plan except quit it. Everything else is a bump in the road and/or a chance to learn and adapt. Perfection is not required for weight loss. We only have to be good enough.
  • Seminolefan22
    Seminolefan22 Posts: 40 Member
    Hi. My name is Laura. I'm 39 years old and I have been married to my best friend and soulmate Quint for 16 years. We have 2 children: Anna Grace is 14 and Jacob will be 12 on Sunday. We have 2 fur babies as well: Arizona Faith and Cheyanne Hope.

On May 28th, I went to urgent care because I couldn't keep food or drink down and my right side was hurting. They told me that I had a lot of sugar and some ketones in my urine and my blood sugar wouldn't register on their blood sugar monitor because it was so high. They told me to go immediately to the ER, that this was a medical emergency. At the ER my blood sugar was 656. I didn't hardly know that I was in the world. They gave me 2 bags of fluids and insulin. They gave me 2 prescriptions for diabetes medication and told me to follow up with my family doctor the next day. She put me on 1 more med, one I have to inject once a week. She also gave me a lot of books to read about type 2 diabetes and told me to come back on June 27th for a recheck.

On June 27th, my doctor was well pleased with my blood sugar numbers, weight loss, and blood pressure. I'm still on Metformin 1000 mg, but she said to take my Glipizide once a day instead of twice a day. I'm still on the Ozempic injection once a week. She told me to keep on doing what I'm doing and come back in 2 months (August 29th). She referred me to a general surgeon because I have a lipoma on the inside of my right calf. So, other than that I'm really happy and pleased with my doctor's appointment.

Anyways sorry this is so long
  • NovusDies
    Hi. My name is Laura. I'm 39 years old and I have been married to my best friend and soulmate Quint for 16 years. We have 2 children: Anna Grace is 14 and Jacob will be 12 on Sunday. We have 2 fur babies as well: Arizona Faith and Cheyanne Hope.

On May 28th, I went to urgent care because I couldn't keep food or drink down and my right side was hurting. They told me that I had a lot of sugar and some ketones in my urine and my blood sugar wouldn't register on their blood sugar monitor because it was so high. They told me to go immediately to the ER, that this was a medical emergency. At the ER my blood sugar was 656. I didn't hardly know that I was in the world. They gave me 2 bags of fluids and insulin. They gave me 2 prescriptions for diabetes medication and told me to follow up with my family doctor the next day. She put me on 1 more med, one I have to inject once a week. She also gave me a lot of books to read about type 2 diabetes and told me to come back on June 27th for a recheck.

On June 27th, my doctor was well pleased with my blood sugar numbers, weight loss, and blood pressure. I'm still on Metformin 1000 mg, but she said to take my Glipizide once a day instead of twice a day. I'm still on the Ozempic injection once a week. She told me to keep on doing what I'm doing and come back in 2 months (August 29th). She referred me to a general surgeon because I have a lipoma on the inside of my right calf. So, other than that I'm really happy and pleased with my doctor's appointment.

@Seminolefan22

That is a very scary story with a promising ending. I am glad you shared it. I am also glad you are seeing your health markers improve with your weight loss. I hope your leg doesn't turn out to be anything serious.
  • NovusDies
    Hi. Name is Seth. Much like many here, I've struggled with weight my entire life. Nothing seemed to work.

Almost 4 years ago (December 2015), something happened. One month after I quit smoking after 14 years, I had a doctor's appointment that threw me for a loop. At the rife old age of 30, I clocked in at 320 was put on BP meds (200/100 or something like that...ridiculous). Doc wouldn't let me leave without the prescription. That said, I was not okay with what was happening, so I started my journey.

Right before my 34th bday this year (May), I weighed in at 220. Happy to say I've been hovering +/- that for the last couple months. I now get to have fun lifting weights and playing mad scientist with my diet to see what works...basically body transformation time.

I started the social side of MFP after using for a long time because A) I want to continue to hold myself accountable and B) help/give back where I can without telling people what that can't do or have to do.

I have an open diary and am now at 145 days straight logging in. Please feel free to add me or ask me anything. Open book.

To all starting this huge HUGE step...you can do it. It's hard work, full of ups and downs...but if you're this far, you got this. Don't stop, don't give up and do it sensibly. Lifestyle versus diet; fuel versus deliciousness; track versus not.

Good luck :)

@wsualumohsix

Welcome Seth. I am happy you joined in the conversation. One of the reasons I opened this to people that have already had a lot of success is to share their experience and thoughts on how they got there. While I feel like I have my own situation well in hand I try not to be too complacent or confident because I am not there yet and there may be still things I need to learn.
  • Seminolefan22
    Seminolefan22 Posts: 40 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

@Seminolefan22

That is a very scary story with a promising ending. I am glad you shared it. I am also glad you are seeing your health markers improve with your weight loss. I hope your leg doesn't turn out to be anything serious.

Thank you.
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    Hello,
    42 years old, 6ft 3in, 427 pounds, 1stint in my heart. I have been on MFP for awhile(4 or 5 years). When I have held myself accountable and counted calories I have lost weight. When I dont I gain it back. It sounds so simple but definitely is not easy. This is the first time that I have read through group comments or participated. I have been tracking again for about a week, doing well, lost about 10 pounds. Got a vacation in about 2 months, hopefully I can keep on tracking.
  • NovusDies
    jjlewey wrote: »
    Hello,
    42 years old, 6ft 3in, 427 pounds, 1stint in my heart. I have been on MFP for awhile(4 or 5 years). When I have held myself accountable and counted calories I have lost weight. When I dont I gain it back. It sounds so simple but definitely is not easy. This is the first time that I have read through group comments or participated. I have been tracking again for about a week, doing well, lost about 10 pounds. Got a vacation in about 2 months, hopefully I can keep on tracking.

Welcome @jjlewey,

I hope that participating in this group will help you get past the lapses in tracking and form a strategy for both enjoying yourself on vacation and returning to get back to a calorie deficit. Please let us know how we can help!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Good afternoon from the emerald isle (I'm a Brit, living in Ireland).

My start weight was 255.7lbs back in 2016, I had a bit of a health scare when trying to recover from a back injury and decided enough is enough and that I needed to lose weight properly, initially my aim was for 180lbs, but I might ease off around 195lb and then look at recomp as I am quite muscular thanks to the rowing and weight lifting I do.

I did lose around 35lbs and maintained that loss for about a year before stress started getting the better of me and I lapsed back into binge-eating more regularly. I gained about 20lbs back, although given the difference in body composition between me at this weight the first time around and now, I do believe that maybe 5-10lbs of that could be muscle gain from progressive weight lifting and the rowing whilst I was in maintenance. So I am currently bobbing around 240lbs.

At the moment my focus is on a moderate deficit and tackling the binge-eating so I'm all about journaling, meditation and accountability.