Introduce Yourself

Replies

• jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    Hi, I'm Brittany!

Currently I am 27 years old, I weigh 322.2lbs as of this morning. I started at 334 in April and wasn't fully on board. After getting sick for two weeks straight (kidney infection followed right by strep), I got down to 327. I decided enough was enough and went to my doctor to see what he thought. He very obviously agreed that I needed to lose weight, and prescribed me phentermine. I didn't pick it up at first because I'd heard a lot of bad things about it, despite my mom pushing me to get it as she thinks its working for her. It also was like $45 or something like that which I just couldn't afford as I lost my job. Decided I'd just count my calories and blah blah blah.

Welllll I went back 4 weeks later to the doc. I had only lost 3 lbs in that time period and just barely. He gave me another script for phentermine again. Now I trust my doctor a lot. He discovered my best friends kidney cancer when she was a teen, when no one else would take her seriously. While talking with his medical assistant about how I hadn't been taking it mostly because it was so expensive she told me to use an app called GoodRx which made it easily affordable (seriously this app is pretty awesome for getting your meds, especially if you have to pay out of pocket for anything might want to check it out, no I'm not sponsored or paid to say that. I was just honestly amazed). Anyway, I filled the script and picked it up as it was now only like $13. Started taking it and I thought I was going to forever bounce between 324 and 327 which I had been doing for the last month, and I started losing again and its been steady, but slow because I suck and have 0 self control still. Just about 2 lbs since I started taking it about a week ago vs the .5ish a week I was doing on my own.

I have my good days, I have my bad days. Do I want to have to take something to help me fight the urge to eat and eat and eat? No, not really, especially because I know that I don't need it, I did this before without it, surely I can do it again. I really honestly blame my fiance for making me fat. I was losing when I had met him (started at 260ish, was down to 230ish). Guess being a good relationship really does make you fat (lol). He's also gained a lot since we got together, so we made each other fat. He's along for the ride with me, and losing faster than me (the jerk!). He's doing it in a way I think is a little unsustainable, but when he stops losing and starts gaining again, I'll be here to tell him he should have just listened to me in the first place (do men ever learn that?), and get him going in the right direction again. That's what we do.

We're getting married next June, and I'd honestly like to be down to at least the weight I was when I met him. Just wanna rock the *kitten* out of a cute wedding dress and be feeling myself on the big day.

Anyway, that's basically my journey so far. Feel free to send me a friend request,

Encouragement works better than I told you so with husbands, and I always tell my wife bribery works best 😋. Goid luck on your journey, remember it's a marathon not a sprint.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Hi, I'm Brittany!

Currently I am 27 years old, I weigh 322.2lbs as of this morning. I started at 334 in April and wasn't fully on board. After getting sick for two weeks straight (kidney infection followed right by strep), I got down to 327. I decided enough was enough and went to my doctor to see what he thought. He very obviously agreed that I needed to lose weight, and prescribed me phentermine. I didn't pick it up at first because I'd heard a lot of bad things about it, despite my mom pushing me to get it as she thinks its working for her. It also was like $45 or something like that which I just couldn't afford as I lost my job. Decided I'd just count my calories and blah blah blah.

Welllll I went back 4 weeks later to the doc. I had only lost 3 lbs in that time period and just barely. He gave me another script for phentermine again. Now I trust my doctor a lot. He discovered my best friends kidney cancer when she was a teen, when no one else would take her seriously. While talking with his medical assistant about how I hadn't been taking it mostly because it was so expensive she told me to use an app called GoodRx which made it easily affordable (seriously this app is pretty awesome for getting your meds, especially if you have to pay out of pocket for anything might want to check it out, no I'm not sponsored or paid to say that. I was just honestly amazed). Anyway, I filled the script and picked it up as it was now only like $13. Started taking it and I thought I was going to forever bounce between 324 and 327 which I had been doing for the last month, and I started losing again and its been steady, but slow because I suck and have 0 self control still. Just about 2 lbs since I started taking it about a week ago vs the .5ish a week I was doing on my own.

I have my good days, I have my bad days. Do I want to have to take something to help me fight the urge to eat and eat and eat? No, not really, especially because I know that I don't need it, I did this before without it, surely I can do it again. I really honestly blame my fiance for making me fat. I was losing when I had met him (started at 260ish, was down to 230ish). Guess being a good relationship really does make you fat (lol). He's also gained a lot since we got together, so we made each other fat. He's along for the ride with me, and losing faster than me (the jerk!). He's doing it in a way I think is a little unsustainable, but when he stops losing and starts gaining again, I'll be here to tell him he should have just listened to me in the first place (do men ever learn that?), and get him going in the right direction again. That's what we do.

We're getting married next June, and I'd honestly like to be down to at least the weight I was when I met him. Just wanna rock the *kitten* out of a cute wedding dress and be feeling myself on the big day.

Anyway, that's basically my journey so far. Feel free to send me a friend request,

Hi @brittanynicholex.

Welcome to LL.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding.

As you probably know getting to 230 by next June is doable at 2 per week but it will not leave a lot of room for flexibility which I think helps a plan remain sustainable. Flexibility meaning that you are not too strict on special occasions, vacations, holidays, etc.

I gained quite a bit of weight after my wife and I first got married which considering we lived on very little and could not afford meat proves that you can gain weight on a largely vegetable based diet. Turns out fried potatoes work just as well as meat to pack on the pounds and perhaps even better. I was not accustomed to eating a lot of fried food so there was no sense that I was eating too much.
  • brittanynicholex
    brittanynicholex Posts: 34 Member
    jjlewey wrote: »
    Encouragement works better than I told you so with husbands, and I always tell my wife bribery works best 😋. Goid luck on your journey, remember it's a marathon not a sprint.

haha I wish it worked for mine. He's stubborn and hard headed :tongue: but I love him. I'm the same way though. It's just our process.
    NovusDies wrote: »

Hi @brittanynicholex.

Welcome to LL.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding.

As you probably know getting to 230 by next June is doable at 2 per week but it will not leave a lot of room for flexibility which I think helps a plan remain sustainable. Flexibility meaning that you are not too strict on special occasions, vacations, holidays, etc.

I gained quite a bit of weight after my wife and I first got married which considering we lived on very little and could not afford meat proves that you can gain weight on a largely vegetable based diet. Turns out fried potatoes work just as well as meat to pack on the pounds and perhaps even better. I was not accustomed to eating a lot of fried food so there was no sense that I was eating too much.

I know its a lot, and I'm not going to be devastated if I don't get to exactly there cause we all have good and bad days. Especially at the beginning here. (Let's not talk about my last two days, its rough, but recouping, reevaluating and setting course back in line today :persevere:).

Yes, fried potatoes are sooooo good! One of our worst things for a while, we haven't had them in probably around 2 months. I stopped buying potatoes cause we stopped going through them as fast and they were rotting and being trashed. You can gain weight eating anything honestly if you're overdoing the calories. I mean, I have yet to see a fat vegan personally but I'm sure they exist.
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    mithster wrote: »
    Hey everybody,
    I'm Charles. I live in Montreal.

Welcome! And thanks for the friend request.

• merph518
    DarkTwain wrote: »
    Greetings everyone,

I've been on/off MFP under different names over the years. I first joined a few years ago at 300 lbs, I had got down to 239. Got too wrapped up in the drama on the site,took a break and thought I could just do it alone. I slowly gained it all back. I joined again, strictly logging no friends, no forums and I wasn't consistent. So this last time in April, I found a balance between supportive friends and staying focused on the task at hand. The issue then being I was now 333 pounds and further away from my goal than I ever been. But I've been hacking away at it. I've lost 40 so far

Welcome. I've noticed there's quite a lot of BS on the regular forums... which was why I was really happy to find a group of likeminded people here.
  • merph518
    Hi, I'm Brittany!

Hi there and welcome! I'm not familiar with the medication you spoke of -- is it some kind of appetite suppressant or something? Are you still logging your foods and eating at a deficit?

Just curious.
  • mo8414
    mo8414 Posts: 13 Member
    I'm 34, M 5'7" and started at 432lbs as my highest weight. I been counting calories since 6/10/19 and I'm down to 398lbs I been heavy my entire life, when I was in 7th grade I weighed 280lbs( weighed in for school wrestling) By the time I dropped out of school I was about 300lbs so I been packing on weight for some times now. I really dont remember any of my weights before 7th grade but I always been big.

Cant wait to get the first 100lbs off and see how I look. I have been with my wife since 10th grade and have a 15 yr old son who is also loosing weight with me. My wife has always been normal weight 4'11" 110lbs but she put on about 30 lbs over the last year so she is dieting with me and my son. It's a lot easier having everyone in the famiky do it with you. I look forward to keepin in touch with this forum and posting updates as time goes on.
  • NovusDies
    mo8414 wrote: »
    I'm 34, M 5'7" and started at 432lbs as my highest weight. I been counting calories since 6/10/19 and I'm down to 398lbs I been heavy my entire life, when I was in 7th grade I weighed 280lbs( weighed in for school wrestling) By the time I dropped out of school I was about 300lbs so I been packing on weight for some times now. I really dont remember any of my weights before 7th grade but I always been big.

Cant wait to get the first 100lbs off and see how I look. I have been with my wife since 10th grade and have a 15 yr old son who is also loosing weight with me. My wife has always been normal weight 4'11" 110lbs but she put on about 30 lbs over the last year so she is dieting with me and my son. It's a lot easier having everyone in the famiky do it with you. I look forward to keepin in touch with this forum and posting updates as time goes on.

Hi @mo8414,

Welcome to LL.

34 pounds in 42 days is quite a drop. I assume some of that was initial water weight because that would be hard to pull off otherwise. I imagine you are already feeling the impact of the weight drop in some way even though you may not see it yet.
  • mo8414
    mo8414 Posts: 13 Member
    I'm on a 1500 cal a day diet. I talked with my doctor sbout it and he was ok with it. I feel so much better its crazy and I have a ton more energy. I can't see my self going back to the way I was before.
  • NovusDies
    mo8414 wrote: »
    I'm on a 1500 cal a day diet. I talked with my doctor sbout it and he was ok with it. I feel so much better its crazy and I have a ton more energy. I can't see my self going back to the way I was before.

Yikes that is harsh. Keep in mind that doctors have almost no training in nutrition. I would not keep that up much longer if I were you. 1500 is the bare minimum for men to get proper nutrition with absolutely no exercise involved. You will be losing weight for 2 years give or take. That is a long time to stay at the minimum nutrition level. There are also peaks and valleys when you are in a prolonged calorie deficit. You will feel good a fair amount of the time and then you may hit weeks of being feeling tired a lot. At 1500 you may not have as many ups and more downs.

Your current TDEE is about 3250. If you wanted to maintain a 3 pound a week rate of loss you could eat 1750 and give yourself more room for nutrition and treats. It would still be an aggressive weight loss it would just be moderately aggressive.

What your doctor is having you do is jump to the end which is something I talked about here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10753829/dont-jump-to-the-end#latest

• TwinThompson
    TwinThompson Posts: 80 Member
    Hi, I’m a little late to the group, I was looking to lose 80lbs, and I’m 23lb down so far...
    The slowing down of weight loss, waning motivation, and not much in the way of visible results has prompted me to have a bit of a kick start again! Which includes downloading MFP app and joining a group lol
  • merph518
    @TwinThompson Glad to have ya here! Even when things slow down, if you keep with your better habits (logging, keeping a deficit), you'll see results in time. Not losing weight "fast enough" isn't a failure!
  • NovusDies
    Hi, I’m a little late to the group, I was looking to lose 80lbs, and I’m 23lb down so far...
    The slowing down of weight loss, waning motivation, and not much in the way of visible results has prompted me to have a bit of a kick start again! Which includes downloading MFP app and joining a group lol

Hi @TwinThompson,

You are not late. You are right on time. This group is for anyone who started with 75 or more. It doesn't matter if you are part of the way to goal or even at goal you are welcome.

There are a lot of good people at MFP and anyone can provide helpful hints and insight even if they only dropped 10 pounds. There is, however, a certain logic to conversing with people who really know what it is like to be in your shoes.

You have made EXCELLENT progress so far. Let's figure out how to get your head back in the game so you can kick the last 63.

I want to see this group full of success stories. I assume we all want that.
  • TwinThompson
    TwinThompson Posts: 80 Member
    @NovusDies @merph518 thanks!! I’ll be keeping an eye on the group for handy tips, and share some of my own when I discover them lol
  • eastjc
    eastjc Posts: 32 Member
    Josh here. Started at about 250 and am slowly headed toward 180 or less. 227.8 I think on last check. A bit of exercise so far, working my way up. 1500 cal limit, 7 carbs (115g) a day for the past 2 months or so as well as 30 or so min walking or swimming. Gonna start my free gym membership next week I'm planning after all my VA apps this week.
  • brittanynicholex
    brittanynicholex Posts: 34 Member
    merph518 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm Brittany!

Hi there and welcome! I'm not familiar with the medication you spoke of -- is it some kind of appetite suppressant or something? Are you still logging your foods and eating at a deficit?

Just curious.

Yes, it's supposed to be an appetite suppressant. Granted the way its been described to me its basically legalized speed....which makes me feel ways, but hey, whatever it seems to be doing its job for now I guess.

Also, yes I am still logging my foods and eating at a deficit. Some days its more of a deficit than others, but its a work in progress. Down 12.7 lbs as of this morning (321.3).
  • NovusDies
    eastjc wrote: »
    Josh here. Started at about 250 and am slowly headed toward 180 or less. 227.8 I think on last check. A bit of exercise so far, working my way up. 1500 cal limit, 7 carbs (115g) a day for the past 2 months or so as well as 30 or so min walking or swimming. Gonna start my free gym membership next week I'm planning after all my VA apps this week.

Hi @eastjc,

Welcome to LL.

Did you lose a bunch of water weight your first week or so because, if not, you are losing over 2.5 pounds a week which is not advisable for someone at your weight. It will likely result in burning muscle as well as fat for fuel.
  • NovusDies
    merph518 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm Brittany!

Just curious.

Yes, it's supposed to be an appetite suppressant. Granted the way its been described to me its basically legalized speed....which makes me feel ways, but hey, whatever it seems to be doing its job for now I guess.

Also, yes I am still logging my foods and eating at a deficit. Some days its more of a deficit than others, but its a work in progress. Down 12.7 lbs as of this morning (321.3).

Hopefully you won't need it for too long. I think food can be a great appetite suppressant if you figure out what works for you.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Hallo!

I have never joined a MFP group before, so this is a first for me (I hem'd/haw'd on the button -- I am much more of a MFP lurker than I am vocal). :) At the beginning of June, I was half a pound away from 100lbs lost. (I was a thin child, thin teenager, I gained the weight after a bout in college when I couldn't afford food; When I had money, I overate. Quite simple in that. My story otherwise is nothing special except that finally I realized how far I'd let my weight go and decided to make a change).

Then my month happened (anniversary, birthday, awesomeness!) and I regained about 5lbs, so I'm working on losing it again. I'm not bothered by it -- this is what life is about and why I have a goal range in mind. So I can bump up and then lose it again. Birthday month will always happen! Christmas too! Holidays, galore!

When I first started, everything seemed insurmountable. Now that I have 20 to lose (to get to the bottom of my desired range, which is within the middle of my healthy bmi), I am astounded that I've made it this far.

I started in 2012. I had some ups/downs, regained a bit when I had a year of health issues, but overall, I've managed to keep off 80% of what I lost between 2012-2013 (roughly 80lbs). In 2018, I decided to buckle down and lose the 20 I'd gained back, and get to my goal.

I have slain a lot of dragon(pants), but what I really need to work on is my mental/feels. Losing the weight has left me with a strange body image distortion as well as a lingering fear of stores/clothing shopping and anything to do with sizes. I am always afraid I am bigger than I am -- that my clothing lies to me; like I'm somehow stretching it out into sizes bigger than it is. The greatest dragon I will defeat in this quest for my goal is that of loving myself and gaining confidence (true, I was also gifted with a healthy dose of social anxiety).

I'm hoping to lose the final 20 by Feb. 2020, so I can go home and show my mommy how hard I've worked. She's been real proud and supportive of me and I wanna show her just how much that has meant and helped me.

To anyone starting out: I think my best advice is to find ways to make the act of change fun. Journey before destination. I've built up a lot of tools of weight management and habits that helped me not regain (too much) the weight even in the difficult times.

Good luck to everyone!