Off-Topic Discussion

Options

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    It looks like we are all going to @bobsburgersfan's house to visit her and her state. Road trip!

Great time of year for it, too - very low humidity and far enough north that temps shouldn't be nearly as bad, right? lol

I'll chip in and bring a nice, low cal dessert *laughs*
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    It looks like we are all going to @bobsburgersfan's house to visit her and her state. Road trip!

Great time of year for it, too - very low humidity and far enough north that temps shouldn't be nearly as bad, right? lol

I can only imagine what she would do if we were suddenly knocking on her door. Of course it might not be me since no one knows what I look like.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options

I can only imagine what she would do if we were suddenly knocking on her door. Of course it might not be me since no one knows what I look like.

Count me in on the trip...I love to drive!....btw I think it’s time we see a picture!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm going to try to steer a careful course between these two things:

The large pantry (10 x 12) still has boxes needing unpacked and put away, boxes needing flattened, and things generally need to have places found for them and be put in them. This is also true of Boyfriend's office and the sewing room. I need to hang the big mirror in the bedroom, too, and put up a towel ring and robe hooks in the upstairs bathroom....

versus

I've angried up the arthritis in my ankles and have a stress fracture in my left foot. My feet are generally unhappy with me. I don't have a good foot and a bad foot. I have a bad foot and a worse foot. The left foot only has plantar fasciitis and a developing bunion and a torn ankle tendon, along with the current stress fracture. The right foot is the one that I folded in half, and so has arthritis all through the midfoot and collapsed arches, with a Morton's toe and a bunion forming on that side too, plus a loose ankle on that side.

So it's going to be interesting.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I haven't had TV since 2007 when I dropped cable because I realized I was paying for something I wasn't using, and I haven't looked back. I have internet, but steer clear of social media and really spend my time mostly reading with it. When you step back from media it is amazing to see how much of your life can be consumed by it! It's not all bad and entertainment is no way wrong and we do need laughter and uplifting that can be gotten from a good movie or tv series, but the danger is when it becomes our lives instead of reality.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    My TV watching time has declined dramatically over the last couple of years. It was not by design and it was not an act of elitism it just happened naturally.

It was something that I was not doing in moderation for quite some time though. While I allow myself to be sidelined I used it and alcohol to escape.

That is the thing that stood out as I progressed. The numbers on the scale weren't the indication that I was moving towards a better life balance. Losing the weight was a part of a much bigger overhaul. Embracing the larger need for change kept the weight part in a better perspective.
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    i believe life without entertainment(sports) is life of raw and uncut routine with no distractions. these past 5 months has exposed how great of impact the tube and internet has on our lives.... the good and bad

I find myself way to excited for baseball to start.

Options
    Novus, may I recommend suspenders?

We're still in full hot steamy summer in Indiana. The corn LOVES this weather; heavy dews in the morning, then 95 and 80-90% humidity, with rain about every third day. I'm not such a fan.

And of course the three rooms that I need to put in order are ones where they don't have an a/c in them. I have a spare a/c for the bedroom, but I would have to carry that sucker upstairs, and I can't do that by myself.

The stress fracture is getting better, but I'm having some vicious hallucinations (I have fibromyalgia) in my ankles, probably based on some incipient arthritis discomfort, and that's been bad enough to bring tears to my eyes. And tonight, for a change, I'm having a bout of IBS, undoubtedly due to the stress of the contractors being relieved. I was just fine knowing it could get that bad. I didn't need reminding. Could sit in the cool front room but I am in the warm library because it's closer to the bathroom. (sigh) I'm having such a fun evening, yes indeed....

Ah, well, maybe I can put the books in order tonight. When Girlfriend unpacked she just slammed them on the shelves by height, and as we went to the trouble of putting Library of Congress call numbers on them I'd kind of like to have them in proper order.
    Options
    I got A through BL done (which is a large category, as that is all the philosophy books and pagan books) and am taking a rest before I do BR-BZ (Christianity and related religious topics), as those are going on a shelf that I reach best with the stepladder. This is okay as we don't get these books down all the time, and it will mean that the books I'm referencing a lot for my novel in the C's are going to be at a good height.

The bad thing about reshelving books is that you keep finding old friends and wanting to sit down and read them again.

That, and I REALLY wanna make a card catalog for them all.
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,327 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I've been busy and haven't kept up here! Of course you should ALL come to Montana. It's the best state. ;) And of course I'll hang out with any of you!!!
    When you come, I recommend going to Glacier National Park for it's majesty, and Yellowstone National Park because it's full of weird and interesting stuff!

@bmeadows380 I currently live in central Montana. I was born in western Montana, but I mostly grew up in eastern Montana. I think people tend to imagine that all of Montana is like western Montana with all of it's mountains, but a huge portion of the state is open plains and some badlands. After living out in the openness for so many years, my mom feels claustrophobic in trees, too. July and August are our hottest months, so this might not be the best time to come. :) It's a lot less humid than most places, but it commonly gets up into the 90s and 100s this time of year.
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,327 Member
    Options
    @AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Are you saying you have a library with bookshelves that require the use of a ladder? That's the best kind of library. :smile:

I hope you can take it easy on that foot. (Well, both of them, but especially on that fracture!)
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Only the top shelf needs it, and it wouldn't if I were an inch taller. (grin) But yes. The reason we liked this house was this built in bookcase, facing a smallish room with a fireplace. And now in front of that fireplace is a cozy overstuffed loveseat sofa, with a pillow on it that says, "Just one more chapter...." and I have my desk in here too, and in the corner is the coffee and tea bar.

I've gone easier on it today; a lot of the reshelving happened with my butt planted in the desk chair with wheels, and since the floor is laminate I rolled back and forth checking publication dates (We shelve the paperback mysteries by author and publication date) and I could do all the lower shelves sitting down, so I did. It's not quite all picked up and presentable for a photo yet, but we're getting there.

The heat is really not helping. We have window units and this room is in the center of the house and gets no airflow from them, and I just wilt in the heat. My kitchen is totally trashed and I really need to put it in order, but I just...ehhh. Not until the sun goes down.

Boyfriend did the shopping for me so my foot could rest. He's a good man.
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    My Library is sorted by author and then by how much I liked each book by that author. Not super logical but it’s how I like it. My parents built their house so my mom had custom book shelves built into the walls. It’s one of my favorite rooms and it puts my small library to shame.
  • papayahed
    Options
    awwwwww... I would love built in book cases! My books are crammed into three smallish book cases. But I do have a spreadsheet with every book I've read since 2014. (I don't think goodreads was around back then)
    Options
    The downside is that the categories don't read A100.00 to Z999.999. The bookcase has fixed shelves, and to some degree various categories had to go where they fit. So I will need to do a little labeling.
  • papayahed
    Options
    I've been watching to much TV lately because I've been pondering this question...What does a Motaur do for a living?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8oQujxe--o
    Options
    It's not so much that I mind food having calories, it's just that the food I like always seems to have so many of them.