TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
What veggies I eat: carrots, cilantro, onions, cabbage, arugula

What veggies I’m thinking of giving up: spinach, kale

What do your veggie lists look like?

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Zucchini is top of the list right now (a friend's garden produce), green onions, mesclun, romaine as boats to sub for taco shells or fill with tuna salad, cucumber salad with fresh dill and sour creme, cauliflower, broccoli, all colours of peppers (also in season - I'm making lots of Greek Salad these days with a few cherry tomatoes added). Raw sauerkraut.
    I do like kale, but I like it as a raw salad massaged with very good olive oil and a few pine nuts thrown in. You have to massage it in the bowl after stripping it off the tougher stems and let it sit for 1/2 hr or so. Toss on some ACV and you are good to go.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I eat all veggies, except corn and potatoes. I don't like them, never really have.

Parents were both raised on farms. Grew up being told corn was to make the farm animals fatten up, not for human consumption. I only eat soy if fermented (soy sauce or rare craving for tempeh).
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Oh yeah, I forgot I eat organic tofu and black soybeans too. I figure 60,000,000 Japanese women can't be wrong.... No hormonal probs or related cancers (so far) and a very easy transition through menopause.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms, brussel sprouts, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower and green beans. Yep that's about it :)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    all of them

right now it's summer here, so lots of lettuce based salads with various stuff like carrots, cabbage, onion, etc. in them
  • QueenofCaffeine4Life
    Options
    Can I piggy back off that question and ask how much of your food consumption is veggies a day?
  • BlancheandSmooshyface
    Options
    I don't eat any vegetables. I was told I could get all the vitamins I need from meat and fish. I do take supplements though, just to make sure.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    spinach, romaine lettuce, cabbage, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, green onion, mushrooms, bell peppers (no green - yuck!) and various hot peppers, cucumbers, pumpkin, spaghetti squash
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    becklorik wrote: »
    Can I piggy back off that question and ask how much of your food consumption is veggies a day?

I eat pretty small quantities, how much depends in part on the total carb and fiber counts of the veggies I am eating that day and whether or not I'm also having fruit (which is pretty much just berries) in a given day. I average 3-5 servings (total) of veggies and fruit a day. Typically, I don't eat more than one serving of fruit a day. In terms of quantity, a serving of a higher carb veggie or fruit might be just 1 ounce; e.g., 1 oz bell peppers in an omelet or 1 oz. of blueberries mixed in yogurt. For a low carb veggie (e.g., spinach) or a higher carb veggie with more fiber (e.g., broccoli or cauliflower). I'll typically eat 3 ounces.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    For me that very much depends on the day or week...I just got back from vacation, so there aren't any fresh veggies hanging around my house (didn't shop yet) so just frozen peas/corn so far this week...plus, I have a ton of eggs, so where I would normally salad for lunch, I'm eating scrambled eggs instead.

I budget shop, so many times it just depends on what's in season or on sale and what looks good as well as what's laying around the house.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I eat almost all veggies, I could totally be just a veggie eater if my health issues didnt require me to be Keto. The only ones I dont eat because of carbs are carrots, corn, and potatoes. And lima beans, because those are just nasty.

Cucumbers, zucchini, squash, green beans, peas, spinach, kale, mustard greens, arugula, beets, turnips, asparagus, celery, cabbage, avocado, broccoli, onions, lettuce, okra, brussel sprouts, artichokes, cauliflower, raddish, bell pepper, collard greens, chard, endive, napa cabbage, etc. You get the idea. They are all delicious and can be done with keto in differing amount depending on your diet.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    Thanks for the lists. I think I might add mushrooms. I love mushrooms in browned butter with some minced garlic, maybe with a steak.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm mushrooms in butter is so good! I use big portabellos for buns and also stuff them with garlic and cream cheese. Yum!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options

I try to eat multiple veggies and a piece of fruit everyday.

I have net carbs coming in under 20-25 daily. Almost everyday, I get all my carbs from produce. (I like to keep an eye on my nutrients).
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    I’m heavily meat based so I don’t eat many. Some days I make veggie smoothies with cocoa and stevia to mask the taste of the veggies. I like cheap veggies like carrots, onions, and cabbage that you can get several lbs. for a few dollars here in the U.S. Arugula is a little more expensive but is high in nitrates which make nitric oxide which covers the inside of the blood vessels so it’s good for heart health. Cilantro I’ve heard chelates heavy metals from the body and I really like the taste of it.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    I’m heavily meat based so I don’t eat many. Some days I make veggie smoothies with cocoa and stevia to mask the taste of the veggies. I like cheap veggies like carrots, onions, and cabbage that you can get several lbs. for a few dollars here in the U.S. Arugula is a little more expensive but is high in nitrates which make nitric oxide which covers the inside of the blood vessels so it’s good for heart health. Cilantro I’ve heard chelates heavy metals from the body and I really like the taste of it.

Hehehe... Cilantro does pull heavy metals from body...

That's what I take apple pectin for. It's even better than cilantro.

If I start seeing floaters or getting brain fog... My first thing I do is up my cilantro intake and/or take apple pectin.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I eat all veggies.
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I eat about 300 - 400 g of all above ground vegetables daily, 50 g of pumpkin,tomatoes,1/2 avocado,lemon,lime,25-50 g of berries,onion,herbs. x 💚💗💛🧡💜
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Snap Peas, Green Beans, Red and Green Cabbage, Bok Choy, Brussels Sprouts, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Water Chestnuts, Jicama, Mushrooms (love them, but they don't love me), Corn, Radish, Celery, Zucchini, Yellow Squash, Butternut Squash, Spaghetti Squash, Lettuces, Red/Yellow/Orange Bell Peppers, Avocados (Fruit), Parsnips on occasion. That's all I can think of at the moment.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    I forgot some of the veg I eat randomly like mushrooms, celery, brussels sprouts, sui choy and bok choy - those guys mainly if they are on sale. Parsnips I can only handle as Hardbite parsnip chips - those are addictive to me, but probably shouldn't be included in a veggie list, >:)
    hlrwgl83at2q.png
    q0j96614upg7.png
    At least they are a lower carb crunchy treat compared with potato chips.