List of veggies you eat.

Options

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    If it is green I eat it. I add in some cauliflower, baby carrots, onions, and peppers. I have at least 2 cups of a salad, and use others veggies as side dishes, usually around a cup per meal, but sometimes less. So around 3 cups of mixed veggies a day.
  • Jessimom2
    Jessimom2 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    @sljohnson1207 I love Jicama. How much do you eat to stay in carb window? They are like a less sweet apple and my grandmother used to add them to salad all the time.

Also want to add these to veggie list, it haven’t found local yet :( had them on vacation. Red Roquito pearls. I normally don’t like peppers, but since they came with the meal I tried them and loved these!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Roquito is a brand name. They are likely Peruvian Rocotillos. Capsicum baccatum or Capsicum Chinense. You might be able to find seeds from an online specialty seed producer, they are grown in P.R. and the S. US.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I eat the vegetables one can typically find in a standard American supermarket. I phrase it that way because I live in a multicultural area and though I might stop by an Asian, Indian, Hispanic, etc market...I have no idea what some of those vegetables are and have not purchased or eaten them. I quite certain they are tasty but have never had the interest in experimenting with them.

I'm not fond of yellow squash, okra or arugula.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I like okra lightly fried so it's crispy - so it's not slimy...but in soups, it's like snot and I don't like it.
  • Jessimom2
    Jessimom2 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks @canadjineh
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I eat all the veggies. But when keeping low carb, I try to avoid Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Corn, Beets, Parsnip. (mostly root veggies)

I was following Keto then moved onto Low Carb. But I'm thinking of going back to Keto.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of having one medium organic potato if I have a cheat day or meal. I'd make a hash brown out of it and fry in butter with seasoned salt.

Jicama makes good raw fries.
    https://healinggourmet.com/healthy-recipes/raw-jicama-fries/

Carrots are most of my carbs for the day when I have veggie smoothies. Carnivores think spinach is poison but it's really helped me keep making smoothies. It's pretty loaded with vitamins and minerals too. Oxalates haven't hurt me as far as I know.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I'll eat most. I avoid corn, all potatoes, yams, carrots, and large squash. I'm not a fan of little squash either (zucchini and the like) but it comes down to how it's prepared.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    I’m down to cilantro, cabbage, and onions for veggies. Cilantro is supposed to detox heavy metals. All I know is I get a great feeling after having it. Onions and cabbage are good for balancing hormones and lowering yeasts or molds from what I’ve read but I cannot guarantee it. I love the tang onions give to smoothies. Cabbage has a nice taste to it as well, mixed with cocoa and stevia.
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I love veggies. I eat them all.
    Mushrooms, onions, green onions, peppers, bell peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado, asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, green beans, collard greens, kale, salad mix, radish, Brussel sprouts, artichoke, carrots, zucchini, squash, cauliflower, celery, garlic, spinach, beets, 🤤mmmm, if it’s a higher carb count I just eat a small portion. Vegetables is literally why I can’t go below 30 carbs. I can’t give them up 😋
  • deleriumcity
    deleriumcity Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Brussel sprouts are amazing now that I have learned to cook them. Cabbage that is baked in the oven is wonderful. I like most veggies that are not roots.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Almost all of them. Not a huge fan of mushroom, but I do eat them from time to time. Favorites include Brussels sprouts, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower and soybeans.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I always have to make a big effort to eat veggies because they aren't my most favorites. I will eat most greens, cabbage, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, green beans, peppers, mushrooms, carrots, assorted squash, soy beans, and asparagus.

I will tolerate onions in something someone else has cooked but I will not use them myself. I use very trace amounts of garlic in my own cooking but I like it just fine. I can eat beets but I don't love them. I love potatoes and sweet potatoes but don't eat them much when I'm doing low carb for obvious reasons. Same with beans.
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    i'm mostly carnivore now but i still eat a bit of spinach, and a little bit of onion like as a garnish. And maybe once a week i have a bit of cucumber.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Cucumber (fresh or pickled)
    Celery
    Peppers (capsicum and also jalepenos, fresh or pickled)
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower (!)
    Asparagus
    Mushrooms
    Green beans
    Romaine/iceburg lettuce
    Baby spring mix greens
    Spinach
    Turnip (rarely, I used it as a potato substitute in beef stew and it's very good)
    Radishes
    Cabbage
    Brussel sprouts
    Zucchini/yellow squash

Onions and tomatoes sparingly
  • gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I most often eat broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, lettuce, green onion. Usually eat about a cup of veg with dinner. Eat berries once a week on sugar free frozen yogurt.
  • Hovis15351
    Hovis15351 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I eat shallots and leeks instead of onions as they are slightly lower in carbs. I do not consume carrots, peas, corn, potatoes, beans (except green bean and runner beans). Tomatoes I eat with care, any surplus I make into soup and sauce and freeze and use during the year.

I will make one pumpkin into soup an store in the freezer for very cold days to have before something like an omelette.

Roast parsnips I have just on Christmas and Boxing day. Otherwise I do eat veg that are over 5gs of carbs per 100gs. I use Tesco NI for carbs.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    Sauerkraut, banana peppers, and jalapeños are some veggies I added back in my diet from being carnivore.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    I really love pacific tomato soup. It's slightly expensive at almost $5 for a quart but it's worth it. I just mix it with a little whole milk. I want to start adding green onions and garlic to my eggs.