List of fruit you eat

Options
13»

Replies

• JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    To follow up, do tomatoes have a sugar count I don't know about?
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's counted as "fruit". About 6 g of carbohydrate, almost as a 1 cup of strawberries (8 g).
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I know tomatoes are a fruit but I still consider them a veggie. Avocados also are weird as a fruit since they have few carbs. I have a simple recipe for tomatoes, tomato basil soup. It's just tomatoes, heavy cream, basil, and some water or a little milk if you don't want all the fat from the cream. Half and half would work too. It beats the store bought soups made with tons of soy and veggie oils.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Strawberries, but more January through April here in Florida. Also both red and black raspberries. Blueberries. Apples, but always split with hubby as I limit how much of an apple I eat due to carbs in apples. Once in a great while some manadrin orange pieces in a salad.
    Also have a friend that brings back fresh Pineapples from Hawaii once a year. So get a small portion then,

Fresh Avocadoes here and there. Golden Tomatoes, love the yellow ones.

Still making sure my total Carbs for day do not go over 50.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    I’m a relaxed carnivore but have some days I eat several ounces of raisins and dried apricots. I’m going to do that from now on every few weeks.
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I eat what ever fruit is season, just smaller amounts. I like apples, pears, pumpkins, plums, cherries, grapes, olives, avocados, tomatoes, watermelon, jicama, berries, all berries, cranberries, not much into banana, but sure, coconut, mango, citrus, all the citrus, kiwi, pineapple, fruit is like a sweet treat. Dessert 😋
  • deleriumcity
    deleriumcity Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love avocados and cucumbers. I am trying to make a cranberry sauce that is not all sugar.

There are orange, grapefruit, lemon and lime trees in my yard, so I eat lots of those. Freeze lots from the trees for the rest of the year.
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I love avocados and cucumbers. I am trying to make a cranberry sauce that is not all sugar.

There are orange, grapefruit, lemon and lime trees in my yard, so I eat lots of those. Freeze lots from the trees for the rest of the year.

I just made a cranberry sauce sugar free.
    12 ounce bag of fresh cranberries
    1 cup of water
    Swerve or stevia to your liking
    Citrus peel. I used orange. Just a bit
    Cool on stovetop until cranberries pop. Allow to simmer and thicken a bit. Tada! I like to mash the berries up a bit some people like to strain them out.
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    If speaking of what mainstream considers fruit, I might only have one serve a week (watermelon, orange, mandarine, tangello, necterine, lemon/lime juice) but not any of the high sugar tropical fruits.

But I do eat plenty of foods that might technically be "fruit" but are used as vegetables (avocado, tomato, cucumber, capsicum, peas, green beans, eggplant, zucchini), up to one serve of berries per day (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries), and some foods that are technically vegetables but sometimes considered fruit (rhubarb...).

I also use small amounts of fruit to second ferment kombucha - passionfruit and pineapple are my favourite combo - the sugar gets eaten by bacteria and yeasts, but I still get the flavour and nutritional benefits in my drink.

I have recently planted yakon and pepino melon (related to tomato) as they are lower-carb than many fruit-like foods, so I'd like to try them.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I eat raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, avocado, lemon, and lime mostly. I like mangos, pineapples, most all citrus fruits, peaches, pears, and certain apple varieties but I don't eat them often at all.
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    we mostly dont eat any fruit. we like cherries so when they're in season we'll get like one bag and thats a treat for a few days in the summer.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    I got liver pains from dried fruit, stupid NAFLD. No more fructose for me.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I got liver pains from dried fruit, stupid NAFLD. No more fructose for me.

My husband has NASH which from my understanding is the next step up from NAFLD. They thought he had cirrhosis but a liver biopsy came back showing no scar tissue. He's struggling to start a low carb plan. I will tell him to watch out for dried fruits. I think I finally got him to understand that fructose isn't his friend.