This August I Will...

Options

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    My stepfather passed away this morning. My husband and I traveled all day to get to my mom. Emotionally drained. No goals met today but I will try again tomorrow because I think I will need a routine to get me through this week. Love you all. β™₯️

I am so very sorry, @PackerFanInGB. Take care of yourself and your Mom during this very difficult time. Many hugs.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I figured I'd have to do more to get the kinks worked out. πŸ˜‰
  • themedalist
    Options
    nebslp wrote: Β»
    Hi! Next week is the last full week of August already! You are all doing so well with analyzing and tracking your progress.

I LOVE my goal of spending time in my studio to plan for the day and monitor my progress on my current projects. I've been using my headphones while I work and have been able to take in a couple of podcasts each day or I listen to them when I'm in the car. Today on one of the podcasts it was said in order to make something you've learned stick with you, you need to share it. So I hope you don't mind but I'd like to share a tidbit of wisdom I've heard whenever I post. The word "habit" enters in almost every podcast at some point so it seems somewhat appropriate. Here's today's bit with paraphrasing: The habit itself doesn't change you. The act of doing the habit over time changes you. You have to show up every day.

Every day takes commitment. Thank you all for inspiring me to stay focused and committed to my goal...every day!

So very true! It’s the doing of the habit that changes you and that require showing up every day!

Thanks for sharing this great insight!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,962 Member
    Options
    @nebslp, love the comment on habits. Thanks for sharing. That made me think, connecting what you said to the French I’m practicing on Duolingo. The French word for living someplace is habiter. I’m pretty sure that and the English word habit come from the same root. We live in our habits. Sometimes we need to migrate. 🀣
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,727 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I've been a little absent online but I've still been kicking away. Had a wonderful weekend with my little family where we attended the local picnic races and caught up with a couple of good friends. It was nice to relax for a weekend, since I'm usually working in my business. Kind of regret not getting any work done as I have clients chasing me today, but it was great at the time!

@77tes - Thank you, I'm looking forward to sharing this journey with my sister. I hope you and your sister can work out a good way to keep in touch when/if she moves away. I love the connection with the 'habit' etymology - we do indeed live in our habits and it's only too easy to let them drag us down!

@themedalist - Thanks for the welcome! And what a wonderful way to share what you have learned about motivation and habits with your family. Rehab would be so much easier with the support of family, even if you can't be there every day to help.

@PackerFanInGB - I'm so sorry for you and your family, thinking of you and sending warm wishes your way.

@LyndaBSS - Way to go! It's so easy to go back to our old habits so good on you for backing yourself and making a healthy choice! When I'm faced with a choice I try to ask myself which option will get me closer to my goal. It doesn't always work, but when it does I'm proud!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    AUGUST GOAL: This August I will move towards an intermittent fasting ratio of 14/10, with an aim to ultimately improve my insulin resistance. (Started 19/8)

19/8: :s - ate too late at night
    20/8: :s - ate too late at night
    21/8: :D
    22/8: :D
    23/8: :D
    24/8: :D
    25/8: :s - ate too late at night
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,073 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: Β»
    Anybody got a cure for overdoing squats? Besides not doing that again? 😁

My thighs are killing me.

@LyndaBSS
    I eventually bought the UltraVolt, recommended by my PT. Often on discount at Thanksgiving she said. I found best price at 24hr fitness. According to PT, it actually removes the β€œknots” so you can work out the next day. The TENS machine only works as you are using it.

I Highly recommend it! I use it 2-4 times a day now that I am pushing the weights on my weight lifting.
    I spent much of last week visiting my family down in Virginia and spending time with my dad who is rehabbing after a stroke in June. He is starting the initial steps of walking with a walker and two attendants helping him. It’s great to see and I am encouraged by his leg progress.

Unfortunately, his left arm and left hand still have very little movement. Apparently that’s typical in stroke patients as the arm tends to lag the leg in progress. I’m not sure why. I’ve been reading up on strokes and rehabilitation and lots of repetitions of movements are essential to regaining the use of an arm or leg.

Dad has physical therapy and occupational therapy Monday through Friday, but I wasn’t feeling he was doing enough outside of those sessions. Exercises have to be done throughout the day, not just during the formal therapy sessions. It’s not that he objects to doing the exercises because he wants to regain his lost abilities. But he’s not in the habit of doing them. I wanted to help him build this new habit.

He has a whiteboard in front of his bed where we leave notes and his health team leaves updates on his progress. I decided on a visual cue: A table with columns listing the days of the week and 2 rows for morning and afternoon.

His occupational therapist noted a few exercises she’d like him to do twice a day that should take about 5 minutes. Perfect! We now have the routine.

And the reward? After Dad does his two exercise sessions it gets noted on the table with a star and he calls one of his 4 kids to lets us know. He really seems to enjoy calling us and I’m so proud of him.

He has a 7 day exercise streak!

My brother increased the challenge a bit by color coding the stars according to how many sets he did. Dad seems to like the challenge.

It made me think of our group and especially those of you who use a visual symbol or icon to denote your progress that day. It’s a great system!

@themedalist
    This literally brought tears to my eyes.
    Habits...work...and I’m SO grateful for your wisdom & for your creation of this powerful group. Much Love, MaddieπŸ’•
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017

I can't find anything on UltraVolt except for a company. Any clues? Thanks.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: Β»
    @MadisonMolly2017

I can't find anything on UltraVolt except for a company. Any clues? Thanks.

@LyndaBSS
    https://www.garagegymreviews.com/hyperice-hypervolt-in-depth-review

$349
    I think it was $325 at 24hr fitness
    & I just saw they now have carrying case for ~$25

I spend money frugally, but I figured if I used it daily, that would be under a $1.00 a day (and I plan to use it the rest of my life.)

A friend found a similar item for less money but it’s really noisy. Reading the review in link I sent, other units are based on a jigsaw, so really loud. I noticed he’s not using it anymore.
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    Thank you for the link. πŸ‘
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,727 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 & @LyndaBSS - I had never heard of a massage gun until an MFP blog article I saw this week, and here you are using them like a pro! How topical!

AUGUST GOAL: This August I will move towards an intermittent fasting ratio of 14/10, with an aim to ultimately improve my insulin resistance. (Started 19/8)

26/8: :s - ate too late at night
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 & @LyndaBSS - I had never heard of a massage gun until an MFP blog article I saw this week, and here you are using them like a pro! How topical!

26/8: :s - ate too late at night

@TwistedSassette
    Isn’t it funny how life works like that!

Congratulations on your progress!
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    @themedalist, What a good report about your dad! That was a great plan that you implemented when you acted on your knowing that your Dad needs to be doing exercises during the day also! And then your brother added in the color coded stars for more inspiration! I really love your Dad's reward πŸ‘πŸ’–.

@TwistedSassette, That is so awesome that you had a wonderful weekend with your family! It did sound like a very fun time πŸ˜„!
    I like you choice of emoji to record your progress with the intermittent fasting ratio πŸ˜‰. You are making progress! Look at that " πŸ˜† " streak that you accomplished!!

@LyndaBSS, that was a hard, but oh so worth it, decision to stick with your goal to eat no prepared foods and to eat clean when a take out pizza was calling your name πŸ˜²πŸ˜‹. So proud of you!! Well done with the squats!

@nebslp, you wrote:"The habit itself doesn't change you. The act of doing the habit over time changes you. You have to show up every day." . That is a great takeaway thought from your podcast. Thank you for sharing πŸ‘!

My goal for this month:
    This August's I will: I will track my progress (again) of getting to sleep earlier, success will now be lights out by 11:00 PM.

I will use πŸ˜‡ for lights out by 10 P.M, πŸ•š for lights out by 11 P.M, after 11P.M. ❌.

(I am allowing one night a week(end) only if something special is going on so it won't trigger failure feelings.)

August 1: πŸ•š
    August 2: πŸ•š
    August 3: planned later night
    August 4: πŸ•š
    August 5: πŸ•š
    August 6: πŸ•š
    August 7: πŸ˜‡
    August 8: πŸ˜‡
    August 9: πŸ•š
    August 10: πŸ•š
    August 11: πŸ˜‡
    August 12: πŸ•š
    August 13: πŸ•š
    August 14: πŸ•š
    August 15: πŸ•š
    August 16: πŸ˜‡
    August 17: πŸ˜‡
    August 18: πŸ•š
    August 19: πŸ˜‡
    August 20: πŸ•š
    August 21: πŸ˜‡
    August 22: πŸ˜‡
    August 23: πŸ˜‡
    August 24: πŸ•š
    August 25: πŸ•š

🀠🌺
  • 77tes
    Options
  • 77tes
    Options
    @TwistedSassette , I see you found the Hogwarts application :)
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    My goal for this month:
    This August's I will: I will track my progress (again) of getting to sleep earlier, success will now be lights out by 11:00 PM.

I will use πŸ˜‡ for lights out by 10 P.M, πŸ•š for lights out by 11 P.M, after 11P.M. ❌.

(I am allowing one night a week(end) only if something special is going on so it won't trigger failure feelings.)

August 26: πŸ•š
    August 27: πŸ•š
    August 28: πŸ•š
    August 29: πŸ˜‡

🀠🌺
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    I am feeling really bad that I have not been a good friend on here and I have failed in my own goals so miserably over the past few months.

We got back yesterday from Indiana. We were there for a week for funeral arrangements, etc. Mom came back with us to our house for a few days. My husband is taking her back home on Tuesday when I return to work. I plan to really buckle down now that the dust is settling a bit.

I want to thank you all for having so much patience with me the way I pop in and out. I am very hopeful that September will be my month.

I'm proud of all of you for staying the course and being such inspirations! xoxo

• 77tes
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB , you have been dealing with a very stressful situation. Please don’t apologize for taking care of your family. I hope life will be more normal for you for a while. Take care and be keep kind to yourself. Hugs! πŸ€—

My August final report. The more challenging yoga routines were really hard, and I’m glad to see the end of this challenge. I am stronger, more flexible, and have better balance, so I’ll continue to try to challenge myself - just not so much.

1 - Day 1 30days for beginners ( hadn’t started challenge yet)
    2 - Yoga Fix 30 Day 1 Flow. tough, but doable
    3 - Yoga Fix 30 Day 2 Core.
    My core must be weak - lots of hard balancing and falling over
    4 - Yoga Fix 30 Day 3 Lower body detox and digestion.
    Really hard - inflicted serious muscle soreness and made me feel queasy.
    5 - Yoga Fix 30 Day 4 Arms and shoulders - not as hard as the day before.
    6 - Yoga Fix 30 Day 5 Core - not as bad as day 2
    7 - Yoga Fix Day 6 Total Body Flow. OkayπŸ‘Œ
    β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”
    8 - Yoga Fix Day 7 Relax and Meditate. I really needed this today since I had a headache. Because it was only 10 minutes, I also did a 20 minute qigong routine.
    9 - Yoga Fix Day 8 Cardio Yoga HIIT - I didn’t know yoga could be cardio, much less HIIT, but this workout really got my heart rate up.
    10 -Yoga Fix Day 9 Core Flow - okayπŸ‘Œ
    11 - Yoga Fix Day 10 -Total Body routine πŸ‘Œ
    12 - Yoga Fix Day 11 - Shoulders and Abs - tough
    13 - Yoga Fix Day 12 - another HIIT Yoga 😩
    14 - Yoga Fix Day 13 - Total Body πŸ‘Œ
    β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”-
    15 - Yoga Fix Day 14 - Gentle Yoga with Pranayama 😌
    16 - Yoga Fix Day 15 - Balance - clearly I have not arrived at balance πŸ€ͺ
    17 - Yoga Fix Day 16 - Full Body Stretch - not bad, but the splits are NOT happening
    18 - Yoga Fix Day 17 - Core - I had to modify a bit
    19 - Yoga Fix Day 18 - Yikes another HIIT yoga πŸ₯΅
    20 - Yoga Nidra - I was too busy and tired to do a more challenging routine
    21 - Yoga Fix Day 19 - Total Body with Hip openers - I think I’ve hit my limit . Many of the poses were beyond me
    My core must be weak - lots of hard balancing and falling over
    25 - Yoga Fix 30 Day 3 Lower body detox and digestion.
    Really hard - but not as bad as last time - no queasiness.
    26 - Yoga Fix 30 Day 4 Arms and shoulders - not as hard as the last time
    27 - Yoga Fix 30 Day 5 Core - πŸ‘Œ
    28 - Yoga Fix Day 6 Total Body Flow. OkayπŸ‘Œ
    29 - Yoga Fix Day 8 Cardio Yoga HIIT - tough and feels like it is an hour long ( only 20 minutes)
    30 - Yoga Fix Day 9 Core Flow - okayπŸ‘Œ
    31 - Yoga Fix Day 7 Relax and Meditate. I really needed this today since I had a rough day.
  • themedalist
    Options
    My goal for this month:

August 26: πŸ•š
    August 27: πŸ•š
    August 28: πŸ•š
    August 29: πŸ˜‡

🀠🌺

Look at you plow through this month, @texasgardnr! Not a single X in the lot! Well done! How do you feel having gotten more sleep in August?
  • themedalist
    Options
    β€œMy August final report. The more challenging yoga routines were really hard, and I’m glad to see the end of this challenge. I am stronger, more flexible, and have better balance, so I’ll continue to try to challenge myself - just not so much.”

An excellent point, @77tes. Our monthly challenges are an opportunity to test drive a new habit and see if it’s a good fit for us. It’s a long enough time to give it a fair shake and evaluate. A week wouldn't be long enough, but 4 weeks is reasonable. We’ve now been doing these monthly challenges for a full year. (Can you believe it?) There’s been several that I’ve completely discarded. And others that I’ve reduced the intensity of to make it sustainable. I can’t commit to drinking half my body weight in water. I drive myself crazy trying to make that happen and I’m not even sure it’s necessary. But what I can do is start each morning with a glass of water, before my 1st cup of coffee. One glass of water tends to lead to another. Without putting additional stress on myself, that first small morning habit has led to more water and less coffee consumption. And it’s sustainable.

It’s good to push ourselves sometimes and see what’s a good fit for us. We don’t know unless we try and give it some time.
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB, oh, dear one, there is absolutely no need at all to feel apologetic. You have been through (and still going through) a very sad and stressful time. Hugs πŸ€— and blessings 🌷 to you.

@77tes, what an awesome August challenge report, and those are some great insights that you have verbalized about your experience!

@themedalist, Thank you! I am beginning to feel better :) . I am going through an adjustment time, which has included waking up and not getting back to sleep, and/or multiple wakeups, so I am working through that, and beginning to seeing improvement. I am also going to make more adjustments on the same challenge for September in hopes of tweaking it some more.

I liked what you wrote about challenges in your post above. Very true and also very insightful. Thank you for sharing them. And thank you for the monthly I will challenges.

My goal for this month: