Options

Replies

• TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    Friday Check in
    Calories: over
    Water: over
    Exercise: nothing because I had to stay and work overtime.

My eating would have been good today but our new mortgage company sent us a big tin of popcorn and of course once you start eating that caramel corn you just can't stop!! :# I'm going to work hard to get myself back under control. I quit tracking anything and that is NEVER a good idea for me. I'm using the move and work as an excuse that I'm too busy. Please, someone, give me a head slap! :/
  • digger61
    digger61 Posts: 3,819 Member
    Options
    Daily Post - Friday
    Track yes
    Calories under
    exersice yes
    Water - 96 oz
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,670 Member
    Options
    Discussion Idea: Rewards

What are you finding rewarding about doing this work on health, fitness and weight loss? What are the little happy moments that make this work for you day to day? Or do you stay more focused on long-term rewards?

bfzvq9rstsuk.jpg

I thought about this topic because I saw a discussion where someone was talking about having food as their reward. For myself (I know mileage on this varies!), it seems to work better for me to have other things be rewards. So, for example, sometimes I'll go tell my very generous husband that I met my food and exercise goals for a day and get a hurray from him.

How about you? What works for you?

I definitely don't do food rewards, that would be a slippery slope! I don't plan rewards, the most important to me have been health-wise. I have chronic pain that has limited my movement and ability to do a lot people take for granted. Being able to walk and stand long enough to do my own grocery shopping is huge! Being told by my doctor I'll probably be able to go off diabetes medication a few days ago was awesome, just need a blood test to confirm. On a superficial note getting new clothes was a lot of fun. I haven't set up specific rewards though, I feel the rewards are the health improvements.
  • Katmary71
    Options
    @Kres567 Congratulations on your elliptical! I use the one at the gym and usually do manual, just make it harder in the middle. I did the same when i used my aunt's machine on vacation.
  • Katmary71
    Options
    Friday Check in

My eating would have been good today but our new mortgage company sent us a big tin of popcorn and of course once you start eating that caramel corn you just can't stop!! :# I'm going to work hard to get myself back under control. I quit tracking anything and that is NEVER a good idea for me. I'm using the move and work as an excuse that I'm too busy. Please, someone, give me a head slap! :/

Oh no, I caved recently with caramel corn, it was so good! You got this, start logging again no matter what, it'll help you get back on track. You DO have a lot going on!
  • Katmary71
    Options
    Friday check-in
    Calories under
    Exercise recumbent bike
    Water excellent, I've been making herbal or green iced tea with fresh ginger and cinnamon sticks and it tastes amazing!

Does anyone else lose their appetite after working out? I usually work out late in the day and still eat dinner afterward, but am not hungry. I need to start working out when I wake up! Just had cauliflower and kabocha squash for dinner, first time having kabocha and it's good! I skipped the gym for the first time since I started back in May. I dialed down exercise for the day as I'm still feeling worn out.

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • Kres567
    Kres567 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Friday Check in

One can of popcorn definitely isn’t the end of the world but start fresh again tomorrow and don’t regret today! The only thing I can think of to motivate you again is remembering how happy you were when you were losing week after week. You still got this!
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Daily Check In
    Friday
    Calories: under, all healthy choices/on plan
    Exercise: platform stepping (46 min); strength training (30 min)

Saturday Goals/Improvements:
    Calories: under, all healthy choices/on plan; pack my dinner salad and take it to potluck
    Water: on plan or over
    Exercise: outdoor walk or platform stepping

@KMD1214 - I can't remember if I said -- I am so inspired by what you said about all you learned about yourself on vacation! Super inspiring!

@Kres567 - I loved your plans for today! I hope lunch and workout went well!

@nlalamin04 - So glad that new recipe is yummy!

@davors19 - Great job maintaining!

@ka97 - Wow, you are having such a busy week! I hope you got to rest up this evening!
  • AustinRuadhain
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Friday Check in

Hey there!
    Good for you for checking in!
    I think YOU just gave YOURSELF the head smack!

Yes, having something you just can't stop eating, in your food environment is nearly impossible to win against. Everyone's willpower wears out eventually. I know mine does!

So, start tracking today. My suggestion -- have tracking be your key to knowing that you won the day at the end of today. Track it all.

When you are ready (if there is any left!), dispose of the caramel corn to make it easier to stay on your plan.

This will be just a blip in the noise. You are making such great progress!
  • Kres567
    Options
    Friday check in:

Although my calories were over (usually are on a Friday) my weight is down over a pound Saturday morning. I wish today was my weigh in day! Lol! I attribute it to all of the water I drank last night.

My husband went away for the weekend with the kids! This was totally unplanned! I have a whole weekend to myself. So instead of ordering out dinner last night I stayed in, had a light dinner, drank tones of water and and watched Bachelor in Paradise - it was awesome!

Goals for Friday
    1. Drink, drink and drink some more.✅
    2. Brought my lunch today so no going out for lunch✅
    3. Work out tonight if we don’t have anything going on❌

Goals for Saturday:
    1. Workout
    2. Drink more water
    3. I may be out at lunch so if I am choose healthy!
  • AustinRuadhain
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »

What are you finding rewarding about doing this work on health, fitness and weight loss? What are the little happy moments that make this work for you day to day? Or do you stay more focused on long-term rewards?

bfzvq9rstsuk.jpg

I thought about this topic because I saw a discussion where someone was talking about having food as their reward. For myself (I know mileage on this varies!), it seems to work better for me to have other things be rewards. So, for example, sometimes I'll go tell my very generous husband that I met my food and exercise goals for a day and get a hurray from him.

I definitely don't do food rewards, that would be a slippery slope! I don't plan rewards, the most important to me have been health-wise. I have chronic pain that has limited my movement and ability to do a lot people take for granted.
    Being able to walk and stand long enough to do my own grocery shopping is huge!
    Being told by my doctor I'll probably be able to go off diabetes medication a few days ago was awesome, just need a blood test to confirm.
    On a superficial note getting new clothes was a lot of fun. I haven't set up specific rewards though, I feel the rewards are the health improvements.

@Katmary71 - Oh. My. Gosh. This is the most inspiring post! 😍😍 You are doing such amazing work!

Each ONE of these victories is amazing!

The three together -- mind-blowing!
  • AustinRuadhain
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @digger61 - What a great day you had! So impressed you are making this all work with your new work schedule!

@Kres567 -- What a great Friday! Oooh, enjoy your weekend! I love how you spent Friday night -- fun and healthy! Enjoy your day today, healthy choices and all!

@KatMary71 - What a great day you had on Friday! I am totally stealing your idea of adding ginger and cinnamon sticks to herbal tea. I cold brew my herbal tea, and it will be so easy to just add these to the tea bags.
  • mrmcgrath
    mrmcgrath Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Friday 8/16
    Username: mrmcgrath
    Weigh in week: Week 2
    Weigh in day: Friday
    Previous Weight: 211.2
    Todays Weight: 209.6

Calories: over/under? Under by a few
    Water: over/under? Over
    Exercise: swimming

Goals or Improvements for tomorrow: My goal for weekend is mindful eating. This is going to be an emotional weekend with my oldest leaving for University and I tend to want to throw healthy eating to the curb when I get emotional.

• raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »

bfzvq9rstsuk.jpg

I definitely don't do food rewards, that would be a slippery slope! I don't plan rewards, the most important to me have been health-wise. I have chronic pain that has limited my movement and ability to do a lot people take for granted. Being able to walk and stand long enough to do my own grocery shopping is huge! Being told by my doctor I'll probably be able to go off diabetes medication a few days ago was awesome, just need a blood test to confirm. On a superficial note getting new clothes was a lot of fun. I haven't set up specific rewards though, I feel the rewards are the health improvements.

@Katmary71 I'm in your camp on the topic. I don't use/perceive food as a reward. Food to me is a choice - neither good nor bad and I decide what to eat and when; there are times that I plan to eat something off-plan and other times it sneaks up on me but I am the one making the choice. I think years ago I did food rewards and now I just make choices and live with them. My highlights are emerging collar bones, feeling sooo much better, fitting into clothes on the other side of the closet, being more comfortable in my kayak, walking further with more intensity and feeling successful instead of feeling out of control. Most especially this last. When I am floundering for purpose and gaining weight, I have daily (hourly) internal conversations about it because I do know what to do and have proven I can do it. That internal conversation becomes a burden in itself and creates a feeling of failure for me. Moving past that and feeling some inner peace and that I have taken control of my situation and destiny is the ultimate reward and NSV for me.
  • raleighgirl09
    Options
    nlalamin04 wrote: »
    s07p2p94gxuq.jpeg

@AustinRuadhain @Katmary71

Smoky Refried Bean Soup

@ nlalamin04 Goshdarnit - I poked way back into the pages before asking but didn't find this recipe anywhere. Can you post it or point me in the right direction? Looks so delightful! =>
  • raleighgirl09
    Options
    raleighgirl09
    Weigh in day Friday
    previous weight: 211.8
    current weight: 210.2

Friday (Saturday morning) weigh-in
    Food: under on cals - this past week has been really easy, mentally - no idea why, guess I am in the zone. Last Sunday was my birthday and did not want nor crave any sweets to celebrate - but the bike ride was awesome!
    Water: about 4 cups a day on average, aside from other beverages
    Exercise: basically - not recently in the past several days; many reasons why and they all feel like excuses

Next Day Goals
    Food: be mindful for of nutrition and continued less sodium!
    Exercise: Nike up
    Goals or Improvements for tomorrow: remember the good, be the good and encourage others on their journey

Had an old lady day yesterday - 2 dr appnts, learned I have a hammer toe and confirmed plantar fascitis; blood pressure up and need to add medication for it but brokered a deal with the doc to reevaluate at the end of the year physical. IT guy guy called me m'am and the lady at the store wheeled out my groceries. Ugh.

Taking a break kinda weekend, been running on empty - need a recharge. My goal is to be more engaged in this group and to my MFP pals and to be more determined to get some movement. Doesn't have to be "exercise," per se, but sedentary should not even be a lifestyle option - and it won't be if I don't allow it to be. Also - it was a bit of a downer yesterday to be 24 pounds down, way low sodium, exercise up (in the past few months) and yet....blood pressure up, at both a morning and afternoon appnt. I allowed for some time to absorb and be unhappy about that yesterday; today I am picking myself up and will continue improving my health in a going forward way. I needed that moment, though, and that's ok.
  • Kres567
    Options
    raleighgirl09
    Weigh in day Friday
    previous weight: 211.8
    current weight: 210.2

Friday (Saturday morning) weigh-in
    Food: under on cals - this past week has been really easy, mentally - no idea why, guess I am in the zone. Last Sunday was my birthday and did not want nor crave any sweets to celebrate - but the bike ride was awesome!
    Water: about 4 cups a day on average, aside from other beverages
    Exercise: basically - not recently in the past several days; many reasons why and they all feel like excuses

Next Day Goals
    Food: be mindful for of nutrition and continued less sodium!
    Exercise: Nike up
    Goals or Improvements for tomorrow: remember the good, be the good and encourage others on their journey

Had an old lady day yesterday - 2 dr appnts, learned I have a hammer toe and confirmed plantar fascitis; blood pressure up and need to add medication for it but brokered a deal with the doc to reevaluate at the end of the year physical. IT guy guy called me m'am and the lady at the store wheeled out my groceries. Ugh.

Taking a break kinda weekend, been running on empty - need a recharge. My goal is to be more engaged in this group and to my MFP pals and to be more determined to get some movement. Doesn't have to be "exercise," per se, but sedentary should not even be a lifestyle option - and it won't be if I don't allow it to be. Also - it was a bit of a downer yesterday to be 24 pounds down, way low sodium, exercise up (in the past few months) and yet....blood pressure up, at both a morning and afternoon appnt. I allowed for some time to absorb and be unhappy about that yesterday; today I am picking myself up and will continue improving my health in a going forward way. I needed that moment, though, and that's ok.

You are having some great weigh ins this month! Despite these medical challenges you are moving forward with the right mindset. I also need to move more particularly when I am at work. My job is so sedentary. I can feel it these days.

Have a great day today!
  • buniphuphu
    buniphuphu Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Weekly Weigh-In
    Username: buniphuphu
    Weigh in day: Saturday
    Starting Weight: 327.6
    Previous Weight: 272.4
    Today's Weight: 255.2

This morning's weigh in was a shocker. I had a smaller loss last week, and I expected about the same this week. I was more active this week while still maintaining the same calories, so perhaps that accounts for the huge drop. I stepped on the scale twice to make sure it was correct.
  • raleighgirl09
    Options
    Moderator question:

Do we have a Slimpossibles Group? I was thinking it may be nice to have one to post recipes - so, a Slimpossibles Recipe Swap group, or similar. Private to this team - or even a F2F recipe swap group, private to the overall group. Recipes can get buried quickly in the monthly chat threads and then they're gone after that (I think?). I would be happy to create one or contribute once it's created, or be pointed to it, if it already exists.
  • raleighgirl09
    Options
    buniphuphu wrote: »
    Weekly Weigh-In
    Username: buniphuphu
    Weigh in day: Saturday
    Starting Weight: 327.6
    Previous Weight: 272.4
    Today's Weight: 255.2

This morning's weigh in was a shocker. I had a smaller loss last week, and I expected about the same this week. I was more active this week while still maintaining the same calories, so perhaps that accounts for the huge drop. I stepped on the scale twice to make sure it was correct.

I saw this and wondered if it was an MFP issue or if something happened yesterday to create such an astounding overnight loss - I'd have done the same thing, getting on and off the scale a few times to be sure! => Maybe you were hanging on to fluid...? Weight lost is a great motivator and even if some swung back for a reset, it's an awesome loss!
This discussion has been closed.