The topic I didn't want to discuss - loose skin

Options

Replies

• maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Hoping it's gone well and that you're recovering well. We are all rooting for you😁😁
  • denjan333
    denjan333 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies I sincerely hope your recovery is going well. Take care of yourself.

One of the things I’m most looking forward to is having breast reduction surgery. I’m so tired of carrying around H cups. I literally hate them. I want to get to a healthy BMI first though. I think recovery will go more smoothly if I am. But also I’ll have to probably wait a year for surgery since it’s not anything urgent. Once I get to around 170-ish I’ll talk with my GP. I may want or need other surgery too but the boobs gotta go first!
  • Satisfiedwithbetter
    Options
    Get better soon! Keep thinking of all the great things you will be able to do once all the excess skin is gone and you are healed.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies wishing you a speedy recovery.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I think Novus is very much in our minds right now....hoping his operation is a success and brings him so much more freedom to continue his journey....what an amazing inspiration so many of you are....being able to share our worst fears and our greatest victories is so good for all of us...I hope Novus is feeling everyone’s good and healing thoughts coming his way!
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you're doing ok, and nice to see you back too.
    Take care and look after yourself, I'm sure you're aware of how important the recovery period is.
  • DogMom919
    DogMom919 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Happy to see Novus is doing okay!
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies, hope all is still going well.
  • ConfidentRaven
    ConfidentRaven Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies I hope that you feel better soon and heal up quickly.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm so sorry I didn't see this before; I could have made some prep suggestions. I had a tummy tuck done 2 years ago due to similar issues that you were experiencing. I had a large flap of skin that I got yeast infections under. I won't go into the gory details as I am sure you already know.

After surgery I had alot of problems but I got through it and now I am 2 years post surgery and can tell you it was well worth it. Give yourself extra time to heal. My doc said I would be fine in 2 weeks... that was not my experience. Although I was better I was not ready for work nor did I feel well enough because I drained for about 5 weeks. I had lost about 100 pounds and I know you have lost more than I did. There is a huge water weight gain from the surgery so don't panic if you feel you weigh more than expected. It took months for the water to all come off. Expect some numbness from nerves that were cut. Some of that feeling comes back slowly. Right now it's actually a blessing as you aren't in as much pain as you might have been. If there is anything I can answer or support you in any way please feel free to PM me.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm so sorry I didn't see this before; I could have made some prep suggestions. I had a tummy tuck done 2 years ago due to similar issues that you were experiencing. I had a large flap of skin that I got yeast infections under. I won't go into the gory details as I am sure you already know.

After surgery I had alot of problems but I got through it and now I am 2 years post surgery and can tell you it was well worth it. Give yourself extra time to heal. My doc said I would be fine in 2 weeks... that was not my experience. Although I was better I was not ready for work nor did I feel well enough because I drained for about 5 weeks. I had lost about 100 pounds and I know you have lost more than I did. There is a huge water weight gain from the surgery so don't panic if you feel you weigh more than expected. It took months for the water to all come off. Expect some numbness from nerves that were cut. Some of that feeling comes back slowly. Right now it's actually a blessing as you aren't in as much pain as you might have been. If there is anything I can answer or support you in any way please feel free to PM me.

Thank you for being such a willing resource. If I come across anything I will let you know.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Glad EVERYTHING is working out!....is your operation comparable to a c section?....not that you have had a c section but wondering about the pain level...I think my knees being replaced was very painful...I am glad to read that you are doing so well....hang in there!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Glad EVERYTHING is working out!....is your operation comparable to a c section?....not that you have had a c section but wondering about the pain level...I think my knees being replaced was very painful...I am glad to read that you are doing so well....hang in there!

I would think a C section is worse but that is only a guess. For me idle pain/discomfort is usually no more than a 2 or 3. Bending motions initially were about 8 and then seemed like they drop a number each day. When I have thrown out my back the pain was a 10 and it felt like getting stabbed repeatedly with every step I took to the restroom first thing in this morning. This was never that bad.

Keep in mind that I only had one procedure. Many people elect to get a fully body lift done after they have been at goal for awhile and I imagine the pain there is a lot more constant because there are so many more wounds. I have a giant wound but it is all in one place.

It should also be worth pointing out that the same thing that required this surgery before goal is also the thing that caused me a fairly regularly amount of pain when I was at my heaviest. I learned to live with it so I may not be the best judge.

I am not saying any of that to scare anyone and all kinds of people get through it at many different ages so it is not something I would tell people to avoid if they need it. I just don't want to mislead anyone. This may be technically cosmetic surgery but the risks are high and the recovery is no joke. Any surgery that involves the abdomen is a high risk for blood clots. I am on a blood thinner at the moment and I am wearing compression socks.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    That was my next question...is it considered cosmetic surgery if the extra skin is causing physical discomfort?....does health insurance take care of any of the costs?....I am on Medicare so surgery cost for myself would most likely be out of pocket expense...how did you find the doctors and staff you felt comfortable with?...I know I am probably asking a lot of questions but you answer things so regular people can understand it lol...my doctor that is also a weight management doctor has suggested that I have a leg wrap done if I continue losing weight sometime after the holidays...I am not even sure what this procedure is....you have no idea how many people you are helping as you share your “ journey” ...have you thought about making some motivating videos?.....that would be great!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    That was my next question...is it considered cosmetic surgery if the extra skin is causing physical discomfort?....does health insurance take care of any of the costs?....I am on Medicare so surgery cost for myself would most likely be out of pocket expense...how did you find the doctors and staff you felt comfortable with?...I know I am probably asking a lot of questions but you answer things so regular people can understand it lol...my doctor that is also a weight management doctor has suggested that I have a leg wrap done if I continue losing weight sometime after the holidays...I am not even sure what this procedure is....you have no idea how many people you are helping as you share your “ journey” ...have you thought about making some motivating videos?.....that would be great!

Some insurance will cover it if it creates a medical problem. I experienced everything from rashes, slow healing, and a general impediment to moving freely. My insurance company would not cover any of it for any reason. I tried a couple of approaches and I was basically told that if it was on fire they still would not pay. That was an exaggeration but I got the message.

I am not sure what a leg wrap is either but it sounds like something that will just take money out of your pocket. Be careful with "weight loss" doctors. I believe you should trust a doctor to monitor your health most have very little training in weight loss or nutrition. A registered dietitian is far better trained than a doctor in these areas.

My PS has faceless pictures of other surgeries to see. I felt during the entire time he and his staff were "on my side" and cared about my outcome. Even the administrator who helped me arrange for payment came in during my first follow up because she was so curious to see how I looked. She seemed generally excited I was free of it. I think they understood that unlike other more cosmetic procedures they do they were all working to change my life for the better. Their pre-op instructions were very thorough as were their post-op instructions. My suggestion is when it is time do not be afraid to shop around.

I have not considered making videos. I am not sure that is really a "me" thing to do. I will not rule it out completely though.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Thanks for the answers....our family doctor who is helping me with my weight reduction is a MFP member and has lost over 80 pounds...he is the person that encouraged me to give this a try.....I shouldn’t have said he is a weight management doctor ...he is a family doctor who helps you if you need to lose weight...he gets really emotional when his patients get their “ lightbulb moments “ and start taking this all serious...he is so funny when he takes his phone out and asks if you want to see what he ate for a special occasion two years ago!...he logs every day...

I am so glad you found a medical team you like and are comfortable with...makes all the difference in your healing and transition...keep posting us updates because we really care!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Thanks for the answers....our family doctor who is helping me with my weight reduction is a MFP member and has lost over 80 pounds...he is the person that encouraged me to give this a try.....I shouldn’t have said he is a weight management doctor ...he is a family doctor who helps you if you need to lose weight...he gets really emotional when his patients get their “ lightbulb moments “ and start taking this all serious...he is so funny when he takes his phone out and asks if you want to see what he ate for a special occasion two years ago!...he logs every day...

I am so glad you found a medical team you like and are comfortable with...makes all the difference in your healing and transition...keep posting us updates because we really care!

Sounds like your doctor might be an exception to the rule. That is helpful.

I am still skeptical about what a leg wrap is supposed to do though. What you need is more circulation and nutrients to improve skin elasticity if the goal is to reduce excess skin. This is done with a good nutrient rich diet, lotion, exercise, and massage. It will likely only help though if you are borderline in need of surgery. If you were in substantial need of surgery, like I was, nothing prevents it.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I think the leg wrap is for the excess fluid in my ankles....I read about some of it on the internet but a lot of people have it done for cosmetic reasons...there is some massage technique to help with circulation and then compression wraps for a period of time to reduce swelling in lymph nodes...I was so excited about losing 10% of my body weight I wasn’t really understanding what he was talking about....I do carry most of my weight in my arms and legs....

I have been to more than a few diet doctors and used pills back in the 60s and then Phen Phen which was amazing if you didn’t abuse it...and then I had another diet doctor that gave me injections of some witches brew....I joined weight watchers when the dues were only $2.00 a week!...I joined weight watchers so many times I started making fake names up when I rejoined....I tried nutri system,Jenny Craig, slim fast,south beach and Adkins....the only times I have lost weight was when I counted calories and kept a journal...you would think I would learn lol...

Do we have a priest among us?...this is beginning to sound like confession....I have shared more “ fat secrets” on here than I ever imagined I would....