The topic I didn't want to discuss - loose skin

Replies

• amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    @NovusDies I'm really glad you're feeling better, at least better than Friday. :)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    You don't think about it but I know a guy whose biggest problem is the loose skin on his rear. It makes it uncomfortable for him to sit and very uncomfortable to try and get in a car. He has not gone into details but I imagine it is getting pinched a lot and probably abrased often. It is not a concern for me because I gained next to nothing back there but that would be challenging I imagine.
    Bit late reading this, but I'm pretty sure the guy is me.
    I don't go into detail too much because I worry about it making others uncomfortable more than it is about me. I'm not the most chatty person or necessarily open, but I don't have much of a censor or reserve if people ask me either.
    The pinching was a big problem that I've reduced some with tighter underwear that's mostly polyester. I still have discomfort sitting because my tailbone and I guess my ischial tuberosity will press into the skin. The way the skin is excessive so the fat is distributed, it is kind of like if you had a 50 lb sack with but only 20 lbs of packing materials, and then you're trying to keep something heavier from pressing on the sack.
    For the car, it isn't getting in and out, it is just the sitting - I think when I sit in a normal chair I'm a little better because I unconsciously distribute a bit of weight into my leg, but with my foot on a pedal and how low the seats in a sedan are, I can't redistribute things that way.

Thanks for sharing. It is an uncomfortable subject and not just because it is uncomfortable to live it. What you describe is more of a challenge than I imagined.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Wow! you got the drains out at week 1? I'm so happy for you. I had them in for 5 weeks. So happy to hear you are walking so well. I know it's hard not to just go longer but it's not worth the complications trust me. Sounds like you are doing amazingly well. Congratulations.
  • NovusDies
    Wow! you got the drains out at week 1? I'm so happy for you. I had them in for 5 weeks. So happy to hear you are walking so well. I know it's hard not to just go longer but it's not worth the complications trust me. Sounds like you are doing amazingly well. Congratulations.

I hear a "sloshing" sound so I do believe tomorrow when I visit the doctor he may have to drain me with a needle. I prefer that to having the drains in full time. I would hate to have had them in for 5 weeks but if that is what it took I would just have done it like you did.

For the others I didn't mention my recovery diet. I am currently eating my calculated TDEE + 10 percent. I am eating a very high protein diet and I am distributing my protein intake during the day. I am drinking protein shakes to help accomplish this because I normally eat in a pretty small window of time. I am eating a lot of jello because gelatin is good for your skin and I am supplementing vitamin c because @magnusthenerd did some research and said that it might be helpful. He is pretty smart about these things. I am also taking a collagen/biotin supplement that is more of a gamble but if it is a waste of money so be it. I am back on my fish oil supplement that I was not allowed to take before the surgery.

I am looking forward to tomorrow because I get to have coffee again. I was told not to have caffeine 2 weeks before or after the surgery. Except for probably a little more activity on a few days than the doctor may have wanted me to have I have followed their directions to the letter.

I believe tomorrow I will be released to have "light" exercise.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    You are doing fantastic....I envy your reduction in skin....I hope if and when the time comes that I can have some skin removed from my upper arms and anywhere else necessary....I am older but I heal very quickly from surgery....

So jello is good for your skin?....I am not crazy about jello but maybe I should start eating it!....

I hope your recovery continues to go as planned and you get to enjoy everything you have been wanting to do!...
  • NovusDies
    I am not crazy about it either. It is not that it tastes bad but I just have very little interest in eating it most of the time. I am not sure how much it helps but I have extra calories to fill right now so I might as well invest a few of them in skin health. I am not a great idler so doing this stuff at least helps me think it is pushing me along faster.
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    edited October 2019
    @magnusthenerd woohoo biochemistry! I was just about to do some digging into this topic, but that's useful info. I'm not sure how consumption of gelatin would promote collagen synthesis per say (as that's a somewhat involved process), but maybe having gelatin around makes cells think they need to make more collagen--since they're responding to fragmented collagen essentially. neat!
  • conniewilkins56
    I am going to make low calorie jello tomorrow!....I have had both knees replaced over four years ago and because of excess weight I still have soreness in them...they both work and the scars are minimal but maybe jello would help the tendons surrounding them....knee replacement is brutal to say the least and in retrospect I would have tried to avoid it....I have also had shoulder spurs removed and a tear in biceps repaired....after two years I have full use of it....I probably should consume a gallon of jello a day lol
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    For tendon issues the protocol is gelatin (10-15g of protein)+ vitamin c (50mg), 10-30 minutes before a regiment of light, high repetition loading of the tendon. Like for the Achilles, it might be right before walking.
  • conniewilkins56
    So you would eat jello before walking?
  • NovusDies
    My 2 week appointment was yesterday.

I had about 40 ounces of liquid drained by needle from my abdomen. Much prefer that procedure to having the drains in full time.

I am cleared for non cardio and non lifting exercise so I can walk more and I can resume walking the dog which I did this morning.

The 2 weeks of wearing compression socks during all waking hours is started to have an impact on my cankles. The right one is nearly gone and the left one is getting close to the same. I was wondering if I would have them forever because they have only slightly improved with weight loss. They might return though when I stop wearing the socks next week. It is interesting though.
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    @NovusDies Human bodies are such amazing things! Do you plan to wean yourself from the compression socks or go cold turkey and toss 'em aside once cleared by your doc?
  • NovusDies
    hansep0012 wrote: »
    @NovusDies Human bodies are such amazing things! Do you plan to wean yourself from the compression socks or go cold turkey and toss 'em aside once cleared by your doc?

That is a good question. STOP ASKING GOOD QUESTIONS!!

Now I have to think about it. If I am going to wear them past doctor's orders I am going to need some that fit better. I am in endurance mode at the moment because they hurt me after they have been on for awhile.
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member

Now I have to think about it. If I am going to wear them past doctor's orders I am going to need some that fit better. I am in endurance mode at the moment because they hurt me after they have been on for awhile.

Right?
    And yes, I was that kid at school that drove many teachers to distraction with asking questions....
    A good ponder is a lovely thing, as are shapely ankles but let's not go down the path of women's stockings, lol. :wink:
  • NovusDies

Right?
    And yes, I was that kid at school that drove many teachers to distraction with asking questions....
    A good ponder is a lovely thing, as are shapely ankles but let's not go down the path of women's stockings, lol. :wink:

I was the one making them laugh.

The fact that I am even considering wearing them longer to improve my ankles is noteworthy though. Other than not liking the way they looked they really have not been on my radar. My belly skin (figuratively and often literally) overshadowed things like that.

It may take me a long time to fully realize how many ways this surgery has impacted my life.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    So you would eat jello before walking?

If it was a leg tendon one was trying to heal, yes.
    Having gelatin for healing skin, it is harder to say when would be a time right - I'm not sure what, besides the injuries, elicits repair signals. I would tend to think any time is fine because I think skin is under rather constant regeneration.
  • NovusDies
    Anecdotal:

I do believe my fingernails are growing faster than before. Seems like I am 2 days ahead of schedule on clipping again. I am not sure if it is eating more calories (which means more protein), the vit C/gelatin regimen, or a combination of both. It could also be unrelated.