The topic I didn't want to discuss - loose skin

Replies

• jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    @NovusDies I wear compression socks at work everyday almost. As you know I walk alot at work. I dont wear them much at home but they do help with foot pain, and cankle swell ups. I have found a couple different kind on amazon that are still effective while being comfortableish, and not extravagantly priced.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    jjlewey wrote: »
    @NovusDies I wear compression socks at work everyday almost. As you know I walk alot at work. I dont wear them much at home but they do help with foot pain, and cankle swell ups. I have found a couple different kind on amazon that are still effective while being comfortableish, and not extravagantly priced.

I would not mind a link.

I am going to wear them selectively. Tomorrow night I am going to a football game and that is a lot of sitting so I will be wearing them then.

I am out of them now and enjoying the freedom but I should probably also consider wearing them as my walks get longer.
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    https://www.amazon.com/CAMBIVO-Pairs-Compression-Socks-Women/dp/B075JMB62P?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Those are the ones that I have the most pairs of currently
  • NovusDies
    jjlewey wrote: »

Thanks. I put them in my wishlist for now. Still waiting for all the dust to settle on the medical front...
  • Hubzilla
    Hubzilla Posts: 27 Member
    bump
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    I have a lot of excess skin (went from 400 to 199 then back to 250 going back to 175 as my goal weight). It has made me very self conscious. This year I have decided that when I hit my goal weight that I am going to have surgery to remove it! My niece calls it my front butt. I know it's going to hurt but for me it will be worth it to be able to wear clothes that fit better.
  • NovusDies
    gewel321 wrote: »
    I have a lot of excess skin (went from 400 to 199 then back to 250 going back to 175 as my goal weight). It has made me very self conscious. This year I have decided that when I hit my goal weight that I am going to have surgery to remove it! My niece calls it my front butt. I know it's going to hurt but for me it will be worth it to be able to wear clothes that fit better.

I think it comes down to trading the pain and recovery to further the outcome that all the weight loss was meant to achieve. Choosing not to have it, for me, would have left a pretty grim outlook for the rest of my life. It doesn't have to have that level of implication though. We all want to look good and feel good. Some people can do that while living with some excess skin. That doesn't mean that decision is right for everyone. The person who chooses to live with it may have far less in any one spot to deal with.
  • CharlesScott78
    CharlesScott78 Posts: 203 Member
    I had that surgery done. I wish I had waited. I was at goal for 2 years before I had it done. Then 5 years after the surgery I gained a lot of weight back. Let me be a cautionary tale - if you have that surgery done, you have got to keep the weight off. I wish you the very best.
  • NovusDies
    edited October 2019
    I had that surgery done. I wish I had waited. I was at goal for 2 years before I had it done. Then 5 years after the surgery I gained a lot of weight back. Let me be a cautionary tale - if you have that surgery done, you have got to keep the weight off. I wish you the very best.

I will be at goal for a couple of years before I have the one done that is more optional. This one wasn't.

Your story is definitely a tale worth taking to heart and mining for any insights. It frightens me to think that I can't allow a large regain to happen but you probably thought and said the same thing.

As you continue to learn from your own experiences I hope you share what you learn.
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Thank you CharlesScott78 that is a good thought to have.

NovusDies I know it won't solve all the problems and I have lived with the skin for many years but for me, like you, feel like it will greatly improve the quality of my life.
  • CharlesScott78
    CharlesScott78 Posts: 203 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I will be at goal for a couple of years before I have the one done that is more optional. This one wasn't.

Your story is definitely a tale worth taking to heart and mining for any insights. It frightens me to think that I can't allow a large regain to happen but you probably thought and said the same thing.

As you continue to learn from your own experiences I hope you share what you learn.

I will be glad to share for sure. The surgery was fantastic and I was ecstatic with the results. They had to to the total circumference surgery so I had an incision all the way around my body. The only complication I had was a hole in my back. The tissue had to fill in- that took some months but it was not painful. The recovery was not that bad. You have to have drainage tubes that connect to suction bulbs. I bought some sweat pants and cut holes in the pockets so I could carry those bulbs around and be mobile. Not a lot of pain - some numbness that lasted a few years around the incision. Just follow the Doctors orders and you will be fine.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies wrote: »

I will be glad to share for sure. The surgery was fantastic and I was ecstatic with the results. They had to to the total circumference surgery so I had an incision all the way around my body. The only complication I had was a hole in my back. The tissue had to fill in- that took some months but it was not painful. The recovery was not that bad. You have to have drainage tubes that connect to suction bulbs. I bought some sweat pants and cut holes in the pockets so I could carry those bulbs around and be mobile. Not a lot of pain - some numbness that lasted a few years around the incision. Just follow the Doctors orders and you will be fine.

I hadn't thought of that. I ran the tubes from my drainage tubes down through the crotch area of the compression suit and then pinned the bulbs to the actual suit.

I got good advice from the nurse and used a lanyard to secure them around my neck when I was showering.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    gewel321 wrote: »
    Thank you CharlesScott78 that is a good thought to have.

NovusDies I know it won't solve all the problems and I have lived with the skin for many years but for me, like you, feel like it will greatly improve the quality of my life.

I had it done and I even had alot of complications and I'm still glad I did it. The difference in clothing is life changing. The yeast infections I used to suffer constantly have gone away and I don't have a roll around my middle anymore. I will say @CharlesScott78 that I am terrified of gaining the weight back though. I'm currently up 15 pounds from my lowest weight and dieting furiously to try to get it back off again. I can't afford another surgery.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Cheryldumais, if it isn’t too personal of a question, may I ask the age you had the skin removed?....I want to do this when I reach my goal weight but I am wondering if age is a factor....thanks!
  • FitByFifty1970
    FitByFifty1970 Posts: 127 Member
    edited November 2019
    I will need my belly removed though likely not for 'medical' reasons per the insurance company rules (I'm in the US). I also believe a breast reduction and lift is also needed - I do get rashes and it hurts. I have to alternate between regular bras (which hurt my back) and sports bras (which hurt my shoulders). But I also desperately need hip and knee replacement too. I'm in a lot of pain all the time, I'm at the point that I don't even remember the last time I went without any pain.

From reading this the hip/knee will be first (will they do both at once? It's the same leg. One anesthesia bill and after effects is preferred) because apparently I'll need to be at a lower weight for a while before the other. I had no idea it was 2 years. I assumed like 6-12 months.

In the meanwhile, does anyone have any suggestions for buying something to suck in the belly, Spanx is not going to cut it. My pants are so ill fitting - I have no butt (giant boobs, wide hips and no butt? Life is cruel). To get smaller pants over the belly they sag in the butt and the legs are way too huge.

I understand being private and how difficult it was for many of you to share. Thank you for the bravery for going so far out of your comfort zone.
  • conniewilkins56
    I had my knees completely replaced four months apart.....unless you go to a rehab facility I would doubt they would do two operations at once because of the time you are under....because of meeting co pays I had mine in the same year...have you gotten shots in your knees or hips?....that might take away some pain until you lose weight....good luck
  • FitByFifty1970
    I had a hip injection a few years ago and I swear I was in worse pain. When my knee became a new focus of pain this spring I went back to the orthopedic that worked on my achilles tear years earlier (yep, same leg as the knee and hip). He said another hip injection should help my knee and it did. It only lasted 2 months but what a great 2 months! I plan to get it again in November. My other hip is starting to fail so I have to get the really bad one fixed while I can rehab on the less bad one but as I suspected and everyone here confirmed, losing as much weight as possible will make the recovery much smoother.
  • conniewilkins56
    I had both of my knees done at around a 285 weight....re hab was not easy but not horrible...I got shots for awhile before I had them done ....I am sure losing weight would make it easier!
  • FitByFifty1970
    With your permission when I have no choice but to do the surgery I'd like to message you to pick your brain on it?
  • conniewilkins56
    I am not an expert but I can tell you everything you want to know about my knee replacements....also had surgery on my shoulder and a herniated disc removed in my back!....I have had lots of boo boos but I am pretty old!