This September I Will....

Options

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    I’m not a fan of the new Fitbit sleep score. I tried to turn it off but it’s not possible yet. I can do my best to ease my mind of my concerns before I go to bed, but really the only thing I can control is the time I go to bed and the pre-bedtime rituals I put in place. The time I spend on various sleep stages seems out of my control. Therefore, I don’t want to be scored. Telling me how long I slept is helpful. Giving me a score and a label is not helpful, Fitbit.

How do others feel?
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,282 Member
    Options
    1. My goal for this month -- This September I will increase my walking miles from 3 miles an hour to 4 miles an hour.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal - I will walk 5 days a week w/my DH.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit - Getting up at 4:00 to walk at 5:00 so we can pick up our Grandson and Grandpuppy at 7:00.
    4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible) 5 days a week...rest days Monday and Friday.
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? Jumping around doing a Happy Dance!
    6. What help do you need from us? I like @pennysob's answer...cheers!!
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of September? That I'm getting back to the walking speed I was at before the pinched nerve in my back side-lined me for almost a year. I had spine surgery in June to fix it all. Recovery is slow.

09/01 - Rest Day...Did the Scottish Festival Sat., but wasn't ready for it. Egads! I hurt like crazy!
    09/02 - 3.02 miles in 1 hour. And it begins...
    09/03 - Rest Day...had to have a procedure done at the hospital. Everything worked out okay. :D
    09/04 - 3.00 miles in 1 hour...DH loves the cool, dark mornings...nopey, nope, not my favorite, but we got it done.
    09/05 - 2.78 miles in 59 mins.
    09/06 - Rest Day
    09/07 - 3.01 miles in 75 mins. Walked in a lot of sand today. Slows ya down some.
    09/08 - 3.30 miles in 65 mins. All on flat ground!
    09/09 - Rest Day
    09/10 - 3.00 miles in 60 mins.
    09/11 - 2.89 miles in 60 mins.
    09/12 - 3.00 miles in 60 mins.
    09/13 - Rest Day
    09/14 - 3.53 miles in 70 mins.

Chris
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    @themedalist, I agree that I definitely would find no benefit in any scoring of how I sleep, because as you said, it is beyond our control. If I had a Fitbit I would not be happy with that change, unless I could turn that part off.

Thank you for the update about your dad. I have been wondering. I hope that there is some way to help your dad get back to his independent exercising routine. It is so difficult when what has been working gets disrupted like his was. Especially in this situation.

Your whole post was very insightful and inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

I'm always up for a Declutterfest :laugh: .

@cpanus, great 🏃‍♀️ !

I will use o:) for lights out around 10:30ish P.M (or earlier of course). 11P.M. or later is definitely an❌.

September 1 o:)
    September 2 o:)
    September 3 o:)
    September 4 o:)
    September 5 o:)
    September 6 o:)
    September 7 o:)
    September 8 o:)
    September 9 o:)
    September 10 o:)
    September 11 o:)
    September 12 o:)
    September 13 o:)

🤠🌺
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,995 Member
    Options
    I’m not a fan of the new Fitbit sleep score. I tried to turn it off but it’s not possible yet. I can do my best to ease my mind of my concerns before I go to bed, but really the only thing I can control is the time I go to bed and the pre-bedtime rituals I put in place. The time I spend on various sleep stages seems out of my control. Therefore, I don’t want to be scored. Telling me how long I slept is helpful. Giving me a score and a label is not helpful, Fitbit.

How do others feel?

@themedalist
    I agree & actually took it a step further.
    I don’t even pay attention to how long my phone tells me I’m asleep.
    I note approx when I fall asleep & if I wake up 7+ hours later, that’s a win! ♥️
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @themedalist, I agree that I definitely would find no benefit in any scoring of how I sleep, because as you said, it is beyond our control. If I had a Fitbit I would not be happy with that change, unless I could turn that part off.

Thank you for the update about your dad. I have been wondering. I hope that there is some way to help your dad get back to his independent exercising routine. It is so difficult when what has been working gets disrupted like his was. Especially in this situation.

@cpanus, great 🏃‍♀️ !

I will use o:) for lights out around 10:30ish P.M (or earlier of course). 11P.M. or later is definitely an❌.

🤠🌺

@cpanus, great 🏃‍♀️ !

🤠🌺

@texasgardnr Wow! Look at you go!
    You are an inspiration to me!
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,610 Member
    Options
    Hi folks, sorry I have been a little absent the last week. I haven't done well on my habit of exercising 3 times per week, because I was suffering from a little sciatica - nothing too bad and it seems to be much better now but I recognised that I needed to let my body heal and so I did no exercise at all last week. This week I'm easing back in, I'll still follow the training schedule but I won't be working at full capacity so as to not re-injure myself!

However, it seems like the rest of you are going great guns! Keep it up!

✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿
    This September, I will exercise for 20 minutes at least three days per week.
    I will be following the BodyBoss Ultimate Fitness guide along with my sister so we can keep each other motivated. This guide provides for five workouts a week, but in the interest of self-care (i.e. not beating myself up and quitting at the first mini-failure) I will be aiming to complete three of those - if I do any extra then that's just a bonus!
    I will set aside time each afternoon after work to complete the workouts. I foresee some issues where I have appointments booked after work, so on these days or days where my baby needs me more, I will complete the workout later in the evening.
    Each day that I complete 20 minutes of exercise, I will place a special sticker into my planner to mark it.
    At the end of the month, I will have completed the pre-training for the BodyBoss fitness plan, and I will reward myself by booking myself in for either a massage or a haircut.

Week 1 (2-8 Sept): ✅
    2/9 -
    3/9 :) (Body Boss PTW1D1)
    4/9 -
    5/9 :) (Body Boss PTW1D3)
    6/9 -
    7/9 :) (5km walk with pram at parkrun)
    8/9 -

Week 2 (9-15 Sept): :s
    9/9 -
    10/9 -
    11/9 -
    12/9 -
    13/9 -
    14/9 -
    15/9 -

Week 3 (16-22 Sept):
    16/9
    17/9
    18/9
    19/9
    20/9
    21/9
    22/9
  • znaoiec
    znaoiec Posts: 1,985 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I know it is mid September but I would really enjoy joining in this challenge. It is the sort of challenge that I need. I am a moderate walker but have struggled for years to go beyond this and add more to my routine. The older I get, the more I realize that I need to add more to my routine. I would love to gradually build up a new healthy habit. Any improvement, no matter how little, would be an amazing improvement for me.

1. This September I will... do some form of physical activity beyond walking no matter how minimal
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: I'm going to incorporate something into each day whether it be stretching, working with resistance bands, doing core exercises or even doing a few minutes of a video workout.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit: every time I log my food, I will ask myself if I have added something extra to my day
    4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible): daily
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? a sense of pride of finally moving in a positive direction
    6. What help do you need from us? Support and encouragement and a place to be accountable
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of September? Success is knowing that I consistently made the effort and stepped outside of my comfort zone.

• TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,610 Member
    Options
    @znaoiec it's never too late to start! I joined in the middle of August and made some good progress by the end of August. I love your cue, to ask yourself if you've added something extra - that's something I think we should all ask ourselves!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,783 Member
    Options
    My house is looking so great. The Flylady baby steps is a great idea. 10-15 minutes of tidying every night is really making a huge difference, and using the timer and just doing little bits is brilliant. I’ve always had something of an evening routine, but I’m making it much better.

9/8 - Sunday Start a control journal. I also cheated and did this earlier.
    9/9 - Monday Room Rescue - I’ve been working on this in my bedroom and trying to make some sense of my sewing materials. Today, I got my fabric stash into my bedroom cedar chest and moved the current projects to a drawer in my playroom. This is such and improvement because fabric doesn’t work well lying on shelves - it keeps slipping to the floor. And I put my yoga mat and blocks on the shelf, so they aren’t standing (but mostly falling over) in a corner. 🥳
    9/10 Tuesday Decluttering- Zone 2 Kitchen my daughters cleaned and decluttered my silverware drawer. I wiped down my lower cabinets
    9/11 Wednesday - I cleaned and decluttered the knife drawer. When my sister came by in the morning, my husband showed off how beautiful the silverware drawer looked.
    9/12 Thursday- worked all day so just morning and evening routines
    9/13 Friday - shopping - cleaned and decluttered the spice cabinet (some spices had been there since we were married 42 years ago). I’m pretty sure that nutmeg was petrified. 🤣
    9/14 Saturday - brief cleaning in my 2 refrigerators - it’s hard to clean the freezer.
    9/15 Sunday - just morning and evening routines, but didn’t get to all my prep for the morning because I went out dancing.

@TwistedSassette , so sorry you couldn’t get those planned workouts in - frustrating when you are motivated to meet that goal, but it’s better to rest and recover.
  • znaoiec
    Options
    @TwistedSassette Thanks! I look forward to being here.

9/16 - Mon. Very short yoga desk workout at work. Upper body resistant band work out. Again, very short. I just got the bands and am learning how to use them.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,783 Member
    Options
    @znaoiec , I love my desk yoga workouts. Go you. I hope you like the resistance bands. They do have a learning curve, but you can do a lot with them.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Sept 5-16
    Went to studio for morning focus 😊😊, not home,😕😊😊😊😊not until afternoon,😕, afternoon, afternoon (Gotta get back into the morning habit!)
    Planned my day 😊😊 😊😕 😊😊😊😊😊😊😕😊
    5th, Did creative activities 🧵 sewing and 📸 photography.
    6th, just 📸, tried and failed both!
    7th, 🧵and 📸.
    8th, Finally have quilt triangle sizes right, I think🤪, and learned how to use remote shutter release. 9th, 🧵realized I needed to go back to square 1 with my flying geese and made 3/4 block.
    10th, 🧵finished 2 blocks but it's been a struggle getting my points to match "perfectly".
    11th,🧵 changed quilt pattern again. No more flying geese for me at this time!! I joined leahdayquiltfriends to learn more. 📸 my first attempt at night photography 🙂yay!
    12th 🧵 and 📸
    13th, 🧵washed new fabric because I had cut up too much of the original for my first 2 failed attempts and I couldn’t order any more of that fabric so I had to start over, and I watched videos on adding sashing. I’ve done sashing before but never had any professional direction. 📸 played with manual settings.
    14th, 🧵 I started some serious block making today. Got 4 done and listened to podcasts and watched videos on fabric prep.
    15th, 🧵 Made another 5 blocks. Things are going much better now and I'm so glad I had to switch fabrics because I didn't have enough. This is a much better color match.
    16th, 🧵 Another 5 blocks today and am having a ball! Careful cutting and starching and pressing make for much nicer looking blocks.
    Hours with over 250 steps 🚶‍♀️10/13, 6/13, 7/13, 10/13, 9/13, 10/13,11/13, 9/13, 10/13, 11/13, charging Fitbit, 9/13
    Logged food 📔 📔 📔📔📔📔📔📔📔 📔took a logging break, 📔
  • nebslp
    Options
    I just spent some time catching up on your posts. Across the board, we are making progress and it’s wonderful to see and read about.

@nebslp, I loved your mini blog about not letting fear stop us from doing what we want or need to do. I couldn’t agree more! Taking on fear head-on isn’t easy but it is possible and it opens up avenues to all kinds of exciting opportunities. Many years ago I had the common fear of public speaking. Absolutely terrified by the prospect of standing up and talking in front of people. Then I was asked to give a talk on a subject that I knew pretty well. I wanted to say no and decline, because that was the more comfortable thing to do. But I didn’t want to let fear limit me. So I said yes, tossed and turned the night before the talk, stammered and shook through my presentation, but I got through it. And I didn’t die. And people thanked me for the talk and asked lots of questions afterwards. Then someone in the audience asked me to come and talk to her library. And I did. The second talk was just a hair easier. And it led to a third and fourth and fifth talk. Ultimately, over an 18 month period, I gave over 130 presentations around my state, including one in front of over 500 people. You just can’t continue to be afraid of something you do over and over and over again. Taking on my fear head-on and saying “Step aside” was one of the most liberating and exhilarating experiences I’ve ever had. Now I try to live as fearlessly as possible, especially when it might keep me from progressing and finding greater happiness. So yes, YES, YESSS! Let us not be stopped from doing something we want or need to do because of our fears. Becoming all we can be and living an exciting, joyful, vibrant life is going to entail some degree of discomfort and fear. Let’s move forward anyway!

I am doing OK with my monthly challenge of eating more mindfully. I really enjoy my food more when I slow down and take a few minutes to savor the taste and textures of what I’m eating. It’s more satisfying and I think as I continue to work at it I will have fewer mindless eating episodes that lead to unintended calories.

My Dad was moved to a long term care facility about 2 weeks ago which unfortunately disrupted his emerging habit of doing more exercises on his own. There is no good place to put the whiteboard in his new room and without the whiteboard there’s no good cue for the routine. I haven’t given up, but it is more challenging.

I am spending a lot of my evenings after work on research topics to help my Dad. The stroke recovery world is a whole new arena for me! I miss being on here more and I try to keep up with your posts and progress, but I think it will be a while before my time isn’t claimed by Dad’s stroke recovery. I appreciate your understanding!

And how about another Declutterfest in early October? I am intrigued by Flylady. Thanks for the tip, @77tes.

Just think how many people's lives you have touched by pushing through your fears instead of running from them, and being willing to share your knowledge. That's amazing... I would struggle with presenting to a group of 5 and you went in front of over 500! We don't know what we're capable of until we step out of the fear and just go for it.

That's unfortunate that you're having trouble finding a place for your Dad's exercise reminder. You might have to get inventive and think of another way. You will do it! Of course you're missed here, but it's totally understandable if you don't post every day. You are doing what's right for you and your Dad. I'm sure your Mom and brother appreciate your help as well.

Declutterfest is just what I need to get going on my spare bedroom and play room upstairs, and maybe the basement but I don't think one month will be enough to get all that done!!!
  • nebslp
    Options
    @cpanus Great job on your persistence! You're having some really good days!!
    @znaoiec Welcome to the group. I'm glad you didn't wait to jump in. I think we need to get going just as soon as we're ready to start:)
    @77tes Wow! You are on a roll!! I'm glad you worked in some dance time. Priorities:)
    @TwistedSassette Sciatica problems can be so bothersome if you don't take care of them. I hope your rest time has allowed it to heal up.
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,282 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    @themedalist & @nebsip - Thank you!

1. My goal for this month -- This September I will increase my walking miles from 3 miles an hour to 4 miles an hour.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal - I will walk 5 days a week w/my DH.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit - Getting up at 4:00 to walk at 5:00 so we can pick up our Grandson and Grandpuppy at 7:00.
    4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible) 5 days a week...rest days Monday and Friday.
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? Jumping around doing a Happy Dance!
    6. What help do you need from us? I like @pennysob's answer...cheers!!
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of September? That I'm getting back to the walking speed I was at before the pinched nerve in my back side-lined me for almost a year. I had spine surgery in June to fix it all. Recovery is slow.

09/01 - Rest Day...Did the Scottish Festival Sat., but wasn't ready for it. Egads! I hurt like crazy!
    09/02 - 3.02 miles in 1 hour. And it begins...
    09/03 - Rest Day...had to have a procedure done at the hospital. Everything worked out okay. :D
    09/04 - 3.00 miles in 1 hour...DH loves the cool, dark mornings...nopey, nope, not my favorite, but we got it done.
    09/05 - 2.78 miles in 59 mins.
    09/06 - Rest Day
    09/07 - 3.01 miles in 75 mins. Walked in a lot of sand today. Slows ya down some.
    09/08 - 3.30 miles in 65 mins. All on flat ground!
    09/09 - Rest Day
    09/10 - 3.00 miles in 60 mins.
    09/11 - 2.89 miles in 60 mins.
    09/12 - 3.00 miles in 60 mins.
    09/13 - Rest Day
    09/14 - 3.53 miles in 70 mins.
    09/15 - Rest Day
    09/16 - 3.18 miles in 60 mins.
    09/17 - 3.10 miles in 61 mins.

Chris
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    "]Sept 2019
    Plan: Habit maintenance & balance
    I have most of my habits at 95-100%. The new ones are the flossing & eye care and 2 of the three meditation/breathing—basically health maintenance. Sometimes it feels like a lot to do each day. I’m hoping this month will help me find more of a routine so I will have more automaticity — Ie not have to think about it as much!

Key:

🌈 meditation / breathing minimum one minute when I wake up, positive affirmations
    💋Floss (new research gum bacteria linked to heart attacks, diabetes, Alzheimer’s, etc.) I’m motivated!!
    👁Eye Care

🍽 Food under calorie goal, at home, with strong macros. 20 min minimum. Breathe before each bite.

🏋🏻‍♀️/🏃🏻‍♀️ weight lifting and/or cardio as planned
    🎨 art fun & play❣️Breathe 1 minute before!

💤 Sleep Habits: same as my August I will
    Breathe:meditate a minimum of one min prior to sleep

.......💋👁 🌈 🍽🏋🏻‍♀️/🏃🏻‍♀️ 🎨 💋👁💤
    9/1YYYYYYNNN
    9/2YYYYYYYYOk
    9/3YYY YYY YYY 🏆❣️🌈
    9/4YYY YYY NNOk
    9/5 YYY YYY YYY 🏆❣️🌈
    9/6 YYY* YYY YYY🏆❣️🌈
    The only ones I need to focus on now are the nighttime flossing & eyes, and even they are feeling more like a habit! I may try shifting them to post dinner, because I have a tougher time if I wait & am sleepy completing them.
    9/7 YYY YYY YYY* 🏆❣️🌈
    Shifting the meditation worked better, too! At night I’d sometimes get back into the phone as I sleepily hunted for the “right” meditation to listen to, find the earbuds, etc.

I’m very pleased with how this is going. It feels easier now.
    Week One Results: 56Y, 5N, 2OK

Week 2:
    I may add reading before bed for 5 mins. Actually, I think I will. To begin breaking the nighttime phone habit.

....💋👁 🌈 🍽🏋🏻‍♀️/🏃🏻‍♀️ 🎨 💋👁📖💤
    9/8YYY YYY YYYY I did get my 7 hours, but my 5 mins of reading turned into several chapters!!!
    9/9 YYY YYY NNYY
    9/10 YYY YYY YYNN
    9/11 YYYYYYYYNY
    9/12YYNYYYYYNN
    9/13 YYYYNYYNNY
    9/14 not sure but I think all good
    Not doing the reading before bed- keeps me awake- good to know!

9/15 YYYYYYNNOk
    9/16 YYYYYYYNY
    nebslp wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly2017 I’ve had the same experience with reading. 5 minutes is never enough! If you really enjoy reading before bed, maybe you could try reading a few magazine articles instead of a good book.

@nebslp Thank you for a great suggestion!

And how about another Declutterfest in early October? I am intrigued by Flylady. Thanks for the tip, @77tes.

@themedalist Your dad is very lucky to have you♥️🙏🏻💕💪🏻🌈

Yes, Declutterfest sounds fun. My husband spontaneously 😳 started decluttering his current desk, did some in the garage, and then moved on to an old closet he used as an office way back! VERY EXCITING!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    znaoiec wrote: »
    I know it is mid September but I would really enjoy joining in this challenge. It is the sort of challenge that I need. I am a moderate walker but have struggled for years to go beyond this and add more to my routine. The older I get, the more I realize that I need to add more to my routine. I would love to gradually build up a new healthy habit. Any improvement, no matter how little, would be an amazing improvement for me.

1. This September I will... do some form of physical activity beyond walking no matter how minimal
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: I'm going to incorporate something into each day whether it be stretching, working with resistance bands, doing core exercises or even doing a few minutes of a video workout.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit: every time I log my food, I will ask myself if I have added something extra to my day
    4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible): daily
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? a sense of pride of finally moving in a positive direction
    6. What help do you need from us? Support and encouragement and a place to be accountable
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of September? Success is knowing that I consistently made the effort and stepped outside of my comfort zone.

@znaoiec You are Welcome ANYTIME!!
  • znaoiec
    Options
    Hello all! As I get to know you all, I will add more. I am still finding my way. I do know I am immediately drawn to the word 'declutterfest'.

9/16 - Mon. Very short yoga desk workout at work. Upper body resistant band work out. Again, very short. I just got the bands and am learning how to use them.
    9/17 - Tues. Lunges and Squats while walking the dog. A stretch routine later during the day.
  • znaoiec
    Options
    Happy Wednesday

9/17 - Tues. Lunges and Squats while walking the dog. A stretch routine later during the day.
    9/18 - Wed. Completed part (about 75%) of a workout video.
  • nebslp
    Options
    Sept 5-18
    Went to studio for morning focus 😊😊, not home,😕😊😊😊😊not until afternoon,😕, afternoon, afternoon (Gotta get back into the morning habit!)😊😊
    Planned my day 😊😊 😊😕 😊😊😊😊😊😊😕😊😊😊
    5th, Did creative activities 🧵 sewing and 📸 photography.
    6th, just 📸, tried and failed both!
    7th, 🧵and 📸.
    8th, Finally have quilt triangle sizes right, I think🤪, and learned how to use remote shutter release. 9th, 🧵realized I needed to go back to square 1 with my flying geese and made 3/4 block.
    10th, 🧵finished 2 blocks but it's been a struggle getting my points to match "perfectly".
    11th,🧵 changed quilt pattern again. No more flying geese for me at this time!! I joined leahdayquiltfriends to learn more. 📸 my first attempt at night photography 🙂yay!
    12th 🧵 and 📸
    13th, 🧵washed new fabric because I had cut up too much of the original for my first 2 failed attempts and I couldn’t order any more of that fabric so I had to start over, and I watched videos on adding sashing. I’ve done sashing before but never had any professional direction. 📸 played with manual settings.
    14th, 🧵 I started some serious block making today. Got 4 done and listened to podcasts and watched videos on fabric prep.
    15th, 🧵 Made another 5 blocks. Things are going much better now and I'm so glad I had to switch fabrics because I didn't have enough. This is a much better color match.
    16th, 🧵 Another 5 blocks today and am having a ball! Careful cutting and starching and pressing make for much nicer looking blocks.
    17th, 🧵 made more blocks
    18th, 🧵 made more blocks ...I might be over 25 now:) Listened to Etsy podcast and photography 101 podcast about exposure, took notes.
    Hours with over 250 steps 🚶‍♀️10/13, 6/13, 7/13, 10/13, 9/13, 10/13,11/13, 9/13, 10/13, 11/13, charging Fitbit, 9/13, ?/13, 12/13
    Logged food 📔 📔 📔📔📔📔📔📔📔📔 took a logging break, 📔📔📔