Fat Brain

Options

Replies

• papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I know we talked about clothes and wearing them until they are falling off but what about undergarments? I have bra's that I'm on the last hook and I only half fill the cup but I can't seem to throw them out. I've even stood over the garbage can with them but I always rationalize why I need them.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Take a pair of scissors and chop away....then you have to throw them out!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    Options
    Keep trying. I don’t have any solution but this is my experience if it helps.

By the time I hit GW, down 100 lbs, I had a closet full of clothes that covered the entire 100 lb range. And a big help to me had been learning to dress and take pride in my appearance. No way was I going out in clothes that didn’t fit right.

And I did a lot of closet purges. It was never enough. I’d start going through it, making a discard pile, but before long, things that were “questionable” all became keep. This lasted years. It wasn’t until we packed to move that I think I finally got it right.

Maybe pitch just 1 and see how it feels.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows380

There is a very noticeable difference. I am so pleased you have joined the group and sharing your story and progress. Amazing.

On fat brain it make take a lifetime for some of it. I don't know. In some ways I have adapted in other ways I still struggle. I imagine it will always be some percentage of full awareness and some percentage of historical baggage.

An example for me is tight spaces like a car in the garage parked close on one side. At one time even when i was able to get through my first instinct was that I would not be able to fit. Now I have stopped seeing it as an obstacle but I still see it as something new. It is still not ordinary.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies Yup; getting behind a stearing wheel, I still expect the wheel to rub my tummy; the room between me and it now is amazing. NOw if I could just get out of low slung cars without having to crawl out......(I hate my best friend's Corolla, but that's a long-legs problem, so can't fix it by losing weight lol)

On the humorous side: When someone is looking for hair cuts that fit best, many sites will talk about face shape and suggest cuts based on oval faces, heart shaped faces, round faces, etc. I never was really sure what my face shape was before because it was so round; I am starting to see that oval shape, though, in the recent pick. So perhaps I can now get a flattering hair cut when I can get back to the stylist after the shut downs are eased up! :grin:
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I am currently sporting my corona haircut because I didn't think to get one before everything shut down. I took my trimmers I use for my beard and went to town. It is a horrible job but I cannot stand it long.

I was enjoying letting my hair grow out some. I am experiencing a bit of a (late) midlife crisis minus the adultery. I want the next chapter to have a different style to it I suppose. Clothes and hair have been first even though my hair is back to super short at the moment.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    papayahed wrote: »
    I know we talked about clothes and wearing them until they are falling off but what about undergarments? I have bra's that I'm on the last hook and I only half fill the cup but I can't seem to throw them out. I've even stood over the garbage can with them but I always rationalize why I need them.

I feel your pain, I cant get any to fit as nicely as my old ones, and they all have wires in my new size, which I dont like. I'm inbetween sizes, too small (!) for my usual style and too big for fancy nice ones. Very frustrating.
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows380 that is a noticeable difference, you go!

@jackie9003 right?? I'm anxiously waiting to shop for fancy bras instead the the industrial strength ones.
  • cremorna1
    cremorna1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I like the fat brain topic, so I thought I'd chime in. I have a weird combination of fat brain and slim brain. Sometimes I feel like I haven't lost weight at all, and other times my brain suddenly feels like it has a really tiny body and starts bumping into things... Those are the days I am really happy with my progress (only about 22 lbs down so far).

@bmeadows380 The difference IS visible!! Congrats!!

• NovusDies
    Options
    cremorna1 wrote: »
    I like the fat brain topic, so I thought I'd chime in. I have a weird combination of fat brain and slim brain. Sometimes I feel like I haven't lost weight at all, and other times my brain suddenly feels like it has a really tiny body and starts bumping into things... Those are the days I am really happy with my progress (only about 22 lbs down so far).

@bmeadows380 The difference IS visible!! Congrats!!

There should not be an 'only' in your statement about how much you have lost. 22 pounds is a lot of weight. If you do not believe me go find something that weighs about that much and try to carry it around for awhile. It is a significant change in your body. We are all guilty of it but I encourage you not to think about the road you still need to travel anymore than needed. Those thoughts tend to cast a shadow on what you have already accomplished.
  • cremorna1
    cremorna1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Good point! Yes, I should remember to give myself credit for keeping on track and exercising for the past few weeks. Consistency is key to controlling my weight, and I've been doing good. Thanks for the reminder!
  • ConfidentRaven
    ConfidentRaven Posts: 1,428 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Here's a funny fat brain story, I didn't reconize my own under garmets the other day. I bought new ones, all in a smaller size and put them in the laundry. My husband takes the laundry to the laundry mat once a week and of course the new items weren't thought about. Well he returns and I'm folding the clothes and I was like whose underwear is this? It took me a moment to realize they were mine!

I also keep thinking that the clothes I'm about to put on simply won't fit. I tossed or donated all my bigger clothes because I would be so convienced that I would pull out the bigger ones. Trust me when I say wearing 3x mens shirts when you fit xl mens, is not a flattering look. I still don't believe the clothes will fit, but at least I can't pull out something I think will fit and I'm "forced" to put on clothes that fit.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Here's a funny fat brain story, I didn't reconize my own under garmets the other day. I bought new ones, all in a smaller size and put them in the laundry. My husband takes the laundry to the laundry mat once a week and of course the new items weren't thought about. Well he returns and I'm folding the clothes and I was like whose underwear is this? It took me a moment to realize they were mine!

I also keep thinking that the clothes I'm about to put on simply won't fit. I tossed or donated all my bigger clothes because I would be so convienced that I would pull out the bigger ones. Trust me when I say wearing 3x mens shirts when you fit xl mens, is not a flattering look. I still don't believe the clothes will fit, but at least I can't pull out something I think will fit and I'm "forced" to put on clothes that fit.

That is funny.

There were times I saw my undergarments and my first thought was that they could not be mine because they looked liked they belonged to a kid.

On shirts I am still wearing one size too large for myself and with my latest round of loss they are starting to look kind of ridiculous again. I think mine is a combination of fat brain and claustrophobia. I get antsy putting tighter fitting clothes on like I will be trapped in them.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    To Put things in perspective:

How much weight have you lost?
    0.5 pound / 0.2 kilo = 2 blueberry muffins
    1 pound/0.4 kilo = a Guinea Pig or a loaf of bread
    1.5 pounds / 0.7 kilo = a dozen Krispy Kreme glazed donuts
    2 pounds / 0.9 kilo = a rack of baby back ribs, an IPad, or the Imperial State Crown
    3 pounds / 1.4 kilo = an average human brain or a can of crisco vegetable oil
    4 pounds / 1.8 kilo = an ostrich egg
    5 pounds / 2.2 kilo = a Chihuahua or 1,400 gummy bears
    6 pounds / 2.7 kilo = a human’s skin or a 4 slice toaster
    7.5 pounds / 3.4 kilo = an average newborn baby
    8 pounds / 3.6 kilo = a human head
    10 pounds / 4.5 kilo = a bag pf russet potatoes
    11 pounds / 5 kilo = an average house cat
    12 pounds / 5.4 kilo = a Bald Eagle
    15 pounds / 6.8 kilo = 10 dozen large eggs
    16 pounds / 7.3 kilo = a sperm whale’s brain
    20 pounds / 9.1 kilo = an automobile tyre
    23 pounds / 10.4 kilo = amount of pizza an average American eats in a year
    24 pounds / 10.9 kilo = a 3-gallon tub of super premium ice cream
    25 pounds / 11.3 kilo = an average 2 year old
    30 pounds / 13.6 kilo = amount of cheese an average American eats in a year
    33 pounds / 15 kilo = a cinder block
    35 pounds/ 15.9 kilo = an average sized car battery
    36 pounds / 16.3 kilo = a mid-size microwave
    40 pounds / 18.kilo = a 5-gallon bottle of water or an average human leg
    44 pounds / 20 kilo = an elephant’s heart
    50 pounds / 22.6 kilo = a small bale of hay
    55 pounds / 25 kilo = a 5000 BTU air conditioner or 11 five pound bags of sugar
    60 pounds / 27.2 kilo = an elephant’s penis (yep, weighs more than his heart!) or the antlers of a bull moose
    65 pounds / 29.5 kilo = 260 sticks of butter
    70 pounds / 31.8 kilo = an Irish Setter
    75 pounds/ 34 kilo = an average sized chimpanzee
    77 pounds / 34.9 kilo = a gold brick
    80 pounds / 36.3 kilo = the World’s Largest Ball of Tape or 40 two pound bag of carrots
    90 pounds / 40.8 kilo = a newborn calf
    100 pounds / 45.4 kilo = a 2 month old horse
    110 pounds / 50 kilo = 22 average sized coconuts
    117 pounds / 53 kilo = an average fashion model (and she’s 5’11”)
    118 pounds / 53.5 kilo = the complete Encyclopedia Britannica
    120 pounds / 54.4 kilo = amount of trash you throw away in a month
    130 pounds / 59 kilo = a newborn giraffe
    138 pounds / 62.6 kilo = potatoes an average American eats in a year
    140 pounds / 63.5 kilo = refined sugar an average American eats in a year
    145 pounds / 65.8 kilo = 8 average Thanksgiving turkeys
    150 pounds / 68 kilo = the complete Oxford English Dictionary
    185 pounds / 83.9 kilo = Hugh Jackman
    200 pounds / 90.7 kilo = 2 Bloodhounds or a typical refrigerator
    235 pounds / 106.6 kilo = Arnold Schwarzenegger
    250 pounds / 113.4 kil0 = A male cougar
    300 pounds / 136 kilo = an average football lineman
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    @cremorna1 so that means you've lost 2 house cats or the equivalent of a car tire! Or SEVEN human brains or FOUR chihuahuas!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    ONE time when I lost weight oh Phen-Phen I was down to a size 13/14 in jeans....by mistake I tried to put on my teenage daughters size 9 jeans....I got one leg half way up and thought OMG what has happened?...then I realized they were not my pants!...but getting those size 9s halfway up made me feel so good!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    So I lost a male cougar that ate 7000 gummy bears.

A refrigerator with a chimpanzee on top seems like a more appropriate image though.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    apparently, I've lost a 2 month old horse with 4 chihuahua's sitting on it or a newborn calf standing on a cinder block :)
    NovusDies wrote: »
    So I lost a male cougar that ate 7000 gummy bears.

A refrigerator with a chimpanzee on top seems like a more appropriate image though.

that brings images to mind :) Ought to find a meme and use it as your pic lol