Fat Brain

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I don't think I could ever change my picture. It ties to my username and it represents a promise that applies to everyone who is given another day to live.
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    I have always been a little unsteady on my feet, I mean I can walk.. mostly. lol. I've been working out with a trainer since last August in preparation for my trip in the fall (maybe, we'll see how it all goes with corona). We've been working on agility and balance. Needless to say I'm waaaaaayy better than I used to be. Boy , this is long..Today at work I had to walk down a shallow embankment and open a valve that was surrounded by rocks. When I got there my first thought was... oh crap how am I going to do this, I'm going to slip. Fat Brain strikes again. I've been working on this very thing for months and yet here I was thinking I couldn't do it.
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    ohhhh candy. Swimsuit is better....Something shiney and pretty is always fun too! lol.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    papayahed wrote: »
    ohhhh candy. Swimsuit is better....Something shiney and pretty is always fun too! lol.

You know all I really want is a new salad spinner I saw at the grocery store lol...I had to get three new swimsuits a couple of weeks ago!...all of last years were hanging to my knees!...but Godiva chocolates really sound good!...
  • NovusDies
    edited July 2020

You know all I really want is a new salad spinner I saw at the grocery store lol...I had to get three new swimsuits a couple of weeks ago!...all of last years were hanging to my knees!...but Godiva chocolates really sound good!...

Food is future poop. Of course with your weight loss the swimsuit won't be around long either but you will still enjoy it longer.

Another idea is a hotel room. Go to dinner and eat lots of good food, run by the store and buy a moderate amount of treats, and then go to a hotel room where you will not have access to anymore food to binge. I am not sure that would keep you from doing it once you got home but it might give you enough of a timeout to possibly prevent it. Only you could can decide if you think that might work. I have no idea.
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    So glad your husband kicked some sense into fat brain. Go get that salad spinner. Who cares if it’s silly. It’s something you want and you will use!! Then maybe a mani pedi or professional hair style. Some kind of splurge on yourself that normally you wouldn’t do.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Definitely go for the swimsuit.

My strategy for candy is buy 1 piece at a time. If not possible, I get a chocolate bar, eat a piece and freeze the rest. If I don’t have access to a freezer, the excess goes in the trash. In fact, try it sometime. Buy a candy bar, eat say half and pitch the other half. It feels great.

I don’t know what a swimsuit costs. But you can get candy for $1. A swimsuit is $20+? Way too much candy. Just a matter of practicality.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Wasting it is exactly the point. When I weighed 285 lbs and ate half a box of cookies in one sitting how many of those should we figure were wasted?

True story. I went into the local White Hen for a Diet Coke and came out with some kind of pastry, don’t recall What exactly. Took a bite and caught myself. Now what? I just paid for it. I don’t want to waste it. Came a voice, “It was wasted in you bought it.” Threw it out. The trash can is a dieter’s friend.
  • speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    @88olds - "It was wasted when you bought it" - best insight I've heard all day.

@bmeadows380 - I had a practice of purchasing a frivolous pair of shoes for every 25 pounds lost. Shoes and accessories are great rewards because they last a long time and will fit you at every size. Yes, 220 pounds is a huge deal and a cause worth celebrating for sure!

And Happy Birthday Connie! How about a swim suit and a salad spinner?
  • NovusDies
    edited July 2020
    88olds wrote: »
    Definitely go for the swimsuit.

My strategy for candy is buy 1 piece at a time. If not possible, I get a chocolate bar, eat a piece and freeze the rest. If I don’t have access to a freezer, the excess goes in the trash. In fact, try it sometime. Buy a candy bar, eat say half and pitch the other half. It feels great.

I don’t know what a swimsuit costs. But you can get candy for $1. A swimsuit is $20+? Way too much candy. Just a matter of practicality.

pitching it doesn't feel great for me :) I end up feeling awful because I "wasted" it *laughs* The newer 100 calorie versions of some of the candy bars are a big help for me when I have a craving for one, which is rare. Walmart has them in the check out line. What I enjoy the most is getting a ghiradelli's chocolate square at Sheetz or Dollar General. I can buy 1 square at 70 calories and enjoy the chocolate splurge!

I need to start thinking about what I want to do when I hit 220 lbs. I know some people don't see the point in rewarding yourself, but that for me is such a gigantic milestone that I want to celebrate it somehow. I just don't know how yet! 220 is the weight I've been striving to reach for 3 years now.

I heard or read someone suggest the idea that all food is wasted even if we eat it. I do understand that a fair amount of it does end up as waste (food is future poop :grin: ) but still it furthers life through energy and nutrients albeit temporarily. That is probably a philosophical debate.
  • NovusDies
    My computer is acting hateful today as I post - or the mfp site...

To finish my response to @bmeadows380:

My milestone celebrations have been whatever felt right. A few of them consisted of a lot of food. One was a physical challenge. Some have been quiet contemplation and still others were nothing.

• conniewilkins56
    speyerj wrote: »
    @88olds - "It was wasted when you bought it" - best insight I've heard all day.

@bmeadows380 - I had a practice of purchasing a frivolous pair of shoes for every 25 pounds lost. Shoes and accessories are great rewards because they last a long time and will fit you at every size. Yes, 220 pounds is a huge deal and a cause worth celebrating for sure!

And Happy Birthday Connie! How about a swim suit and a salad spinner?

Thank you for the early birthday wishes!....thank God you are only 69 once lol...I don’t feel 69, I don’t act 69 and thank goodness most people don’t think I look 69.... how did I get so old?...I never wanted to grow up!...a lot of people don’t think I have!...

Anyway I bought a swim suit just because and I am getting the salad spinner next time I am in Publix...I read everyone’s suggestions and I think we are going to dinner at the beach without kids or grandkids, no hotel because almost everything is booked on the beach with limited rooms due to lockdown and my husband is getting shots in his spine and he isn’t up for a wild night ( snort snort )...I am going to have a glass of wine with dinner and when we get home the rest of the family can eat all of the ice cream cake I decided on making after I get the first slice!...this is the lesser of the evil of the other cakes with no cream cheese frosting on it!

And then again I have been dreaming of a huge pizza!
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    @conniewilkins56 I had a craving for pizza too so I made my own last night. I bought individual sized crusts and sauce and low fat cheese. I weighed everything and was able to make a good pizza for like 600 calories. It was delicious and fit in my calories!
  • conniewilkins56
    gewel321 wrote: »
    @conniewilkins56 I had a craving for pizza too so I made my own last night. I bought individual sized crusts and sauce and low fat cheese. I weighed everything and was able to make a good pizza for like 600 calories. It was delicious and fit in my calories!

Publix sells a pre rolled crust in the deli that I used a few nights ago...it was good but not like an ooey gooey REAL one lol
  • NovusDies
    I am the kind of person that can want a frozen pizza or a brick oven grill version and just about everything in between but when I am in the mood for one particular kind no other will really satisfy. I like the pizza we make at home. Sometimes that is all I really want. But when I have my heart set on one of the restaurant styles trying to compromise seems to just make the situation worse.

I will own that that can be very unhelpful at times but it does not come up often enough for me to try and "fix" myself,
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    yup. I can take a high fiber tortilla wrap and top it with spinach and chicken, mushrooms, tomatoes, onion, peppers, and black olives with a little mozzarella and be happy, but sometimes I just want that supreme from Pizza Hut :blush: Thats when I make sure to get the personal pan for 580 calories instead of a medium pizza because I know I'm not stopping at 1 or 2 slices; the personal pan makes sure I stop where I need to stop and still get to enjoy my pizza!
  • conniewilkins56
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I am the kind of person that can want a frozen pizza or a brick oven grill version and just about everything in between but when I am in the mood for one particular kind no other will really satisfy. I like the pizza we make at home. Sometimes that is all I really want. But when I have my heart set on one of the restaurant styles trying to compromise seems to just make the situation worse.

I will own that that can be very unhelpful at times but it does not come up often enough for me to try and "fix" myself,

There is an Italian place called Lunas about two miles from us on the island and they serve their dishes on platters...they plop the warm loaves of bread directly on the table with a knife stuck in it and a side of olive oil and garlic In a dish...you share the salad out of a wooden bowl with bits of garlic stuck to the inside...the main entrees are the largest I have ever seen with the Stromboli weighing about 3 lbs and served with a pint of warm sauce...I can’t describe the pizza served on a hot pizza stone with cheese running off the sides!...mounds of spaghetti and sauce or huge meatballs.....you take home more than you could possibly eat...old wooden tables and checked table cloths,seating outside with mini lights and the House wine is to die for...I haven’t been there in a long time and at this time, I am not going there because today I could eat all of it including the menu!
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member

I second shiny and pretty!!!!