General Discussion about Weight Loss, Health, Habits, Exercise, Mindset, and Similar

NovusDies
NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
We need a catch-all for things that may not need their own threads or at least do not need their own threads yet.

Ask a question - Share a tip - Discuss something you heard or read - Write poetry about Bacon - You get the idea.

Replies

• NovusDies
    Tip:

When I am in an unsettled food mood and I don't want to eat more I get some strongly flavored gum to help me break out of it. Cinnamon or Peppermint usually does the trick. It is not calorie free but it helps me.

A similar suggestion is brushing your teeth but I find gum works better for me.
  • NovusDies
    Bacon is good to eat
    But it should be a special treat!

Broiled,baked or fried
    No matter how it’s tried!

It’s great for breakfast,lunch or dinner
    Too much of it won’t make you thinner!

On a Burger, a potato or a steak
    Candy coated atop a cupcake!

Everyone likes bacon
    Including people that are vegan!

This is the best poem I could come up with quickly about
    Bacon!

<Standing Ovation>

Bravo! Bravo!

• papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    I may be in the minority but I dont like bacon on burgers.
  • NovusDies
    papayahed wrote: »

We may have to kick you out of the group.

Kidding of course.

I don't eat bacon on burgers much anymore. I like the flavor and I don't restrict anything I can make fit but it is taking something that is already high calorie and adding more calories to it. It makes it tougher to justify unless I am really craving it.
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    I like bacon on burgers. Though I haven't had either in quite a while! :P
  • papayahed
    NovusDies wrote: »

You wouldnt be the first... lol.

I'm not a bacon or chocolate person, my nemesis (nemesi?) is coca cola and gummy bears/jujyfruits. Sometimes I feel like a 7 year old trapped in a 49 year old body.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member

I'm not a bacon or chocolate person, my nemesis (nemesi?) is coca cola and gummy bears/jujyfruits. Sometimes I feel like a 7 year old trapped in a 49 year old body.

Me too! I love things like that. I do like bacon and chocolate but those aren't the things I find hard to give up. I'm 63 by the way so don't feel bad, you aren't alone.
  • NovusDies
    edited October 2019

I hate gummy bears so you are really out of here!

I can only drink coke now if it is mixed with Jack or Crown. I have been off soda for so long it is too sweet to try and drink it by itself.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I am not a breakfast food person....I have eggs occasionally and bacon every three or four months on a BLT...I can’t remember the last time I had a pancake or waffle....I hate gummy bears....I would never ruin a good burger by topping it with bacon!....give me cookies, cakes, pies and chocolate candy and I will follow you anywhere....

My “ Bacon” poem was a spur of the moment thing....lol
  • papayahed
    hansep0012 wrote: »
    Bacon is a camping memory treasure.

I still camp and like to wake up early, when the sun still thinking about rising - you know, fishing-early-morning-time.

Building a fire from my stash of wood and tinder that I set up the night before is second nature. As the fire gets going the grate is placed and fresh, cold water is in my old camp percolator coffee pot. It takes awhile to get the coffee going and usually my hands and face are cold by this time; the fire feels good.

It is quiet in the twilight of early morning until all of a sudden, or so it seems, the birds awake and start calling and singing. That first cup of coffee is the best. When I've enjoyed that first cup it's time to rouse the camp with the smell of frying bacon.

The coffee pot gets positioned to a cooler corner of the grate and the old, well-seasoned cast iron pan is placed on the grate to heat, slowly. Rustling in the cooler yields not only the bacon, but other breakfast fixings. Time for that second cup of coffee as I slowly cook bacon for the camp.

It is totally the best.

You make me want to like coffee.
  • kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    @hansep0012 that reminds me of camping as well.. eggs fried up in the leftover bacon grease and cowboy coffee done over the fire... great memories growing up😊
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Ha!....we had a motor home when our daughter was a teenager....my idea of camping is Cornelle Ware dishes and cheap wine glasses....small TV and an overhead sleeping area....I promise you I will never sleep in a tent or clean a fish....

Two weeks ago,our son hiked forty miles in the Smokey Mountains in four days!...but he was a Boy Scout!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member

I still camp and like to wake up early, when the sun still thinking about rising - you know, fishing-early-morning-time.

Building a fire from my stash of wood and tinder that I set up the night before is second nature. As the fire gets going the grate is placed and fresh, cold water is in my old camp percolator coffee pot. It takes awhile to get the coffee going and usually my hands and face are cold by this time; the fire feels good.

It is quiet in the twilight of early morning until all of a sudden, or so it seems, the birds awake and start calling and singing. That first cup of coffee is the best. When I've enjoyed that first cup it's time to rouse the camp with the smell of frying bacon.

The coffee pot gets positioned to a cooler corner of the grate and the old, well-seasoned cast iron pan is placed on the grate to heat, slowly. Rustling in the cooler yields not only the bacon, but other breakfast fixings. Time for that second cup of coffee as I slowly cook bacon for the camp.

It is totally the best.

Wow, this description was so clear I felt like I was there. Unfortunately now I want bacon and coffee (and I don't even drink coffee), lol. Seirously though you should write for a living.
  • Okay, so I just wanted to share one of my favorite things I get at my local grocery store, Kroger. Portion control is something I have a hard time with. So years ago when it first started getting popular I tried Hello Fresh with my mom. It was good but got expensive, as my father wouldn't eat the food, so we still spent a lot of money grocery shopping, so we stopped. Now there are many different companies that do these meal kits.
    In August, I had surgery on my knee and knew that first weekend would be tough with food, since I do all the cooking. So to help my then BF, I picked up a meal kit made by Home Chef that Kroger sells so he could make dinner. We have now become addicted to these things. FH gets to learn how to cook with easy instructions. Just about everything is included in the kit, minus salt/pepper/olive oil. AND it makes just two portions with little waste.
    I love that we get to try different recipes (cause variety is the spice of life), there is two portions (so no temptation to go for seconds), generally they're satisfyingly filling, and when I go to buy them, I check out how many calories they are, and usually pick lower ones.
    I think once we get our own house, I am going to use the service and have them delivered. (I don't trust having them delivered to our apartment...lol.

*I don't know if in this day and age I need to say this, but I am giving my honest thoughts on this, i'm not sponsored...and defiantly didn't get anything for free...(I think i watch too much youtube cause i'm always seeing disclaimers like this...lol
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    edited October 2019
    @Penguinswaddlenotme I had no idea Kroger had this option. Is it stocked in a particular area of the store (as in, where would I find it)?
  • papayahed
    I was just at Kroger this morning and looked for this and lo and behold! I pass the Home Chef display every time I go in. They had three different selections and all of them looked good but I was hell bent on eggs. I'm definitly going to check it out in the future though.
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member

It is totally the best.

Wow, this description was so clear I felt like I was there. Unfortunately now I want bacon and coffee (and I don't even drink coffee), lol. Seirously though you should write for a living.

Thank you for the nice words @cheryldumais - if I can get my non-coffee drinkers @papayahed - wanting a cuppa jo then perhaps I will write a novel in retirement. Now, to get to retirement!