Thanksgiving

gewel321
gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
My family celebrates occasions with food. My grandmother was visiting for the past week so my mother made a full Thanksgiving spread. I was very concerned about going and being around all the food. I am on a much smaller calorie goal than most due to gastric sleeve.

I got up and ate a cheese stick for breakfast, so that I could have something on my stomach. When lunch time rolled around my family was very supportive. I was able to eat a few bites of each item that I felt like I couldn't do without and mostly ate turkey. I also stopped eating the moment I started to feel full, even though there was still food on my plate. I even ate 1 bite of pumpkin pie!

I was so proud of myself to stay within my calorie goal (only 10 over so I'll take that!!). The scale (which is the bane of all existence) also did not go up. Instead it went down .5 a lb.

Overall it was a good weekend and I wanted to let everyone know that Thanksgiving can be done. It's all about moderation. Don't deny yourself the one bite of pie if that's what you feel like you need to not overindulge in the rest!

Replies

• papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Awesome!!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Great job!
  • Hubzilla
    Hubzilla Posts: 27 Member
    Way to go! Were you sleepy after the feast?
  • gewel321
    Hubzilla wrote: »
    Way to go! Were you sleepy after the feast?
    Nope! I didn't eat enough to get super full and therefore not sleepy! We did do a massive family giant jenga match which I totally lost!!
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    Very nice. As much as I love to feast at Thanksgiving, I'm going to try to behave this year and still stay in budget.
  • katy9599
    katy9599 Posts: 873 Member
    Staying within 10 calories of your goal is super impressive! You handled the weekend wonderfully. It’s great that your family was supportive, as well. So many people on these boards complain about family pushing food or making them feel guilty for not trying grandma’s special dessert.

I’ve been making my strategy for the holidays as well. I am ok with going over my calories for the day, or even being a little lax with the logging. But I agree that moderation is the key, and I will make it a point to not eat anything I don’t REALLY want and enjoy, and to stop when SATISFIED, not STUFFED.
  • kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    I got through Canadian Thanksgiving unscathed. I had a pretty light day in calories so I could enjoy a piece of apple pie, turkey and all the fixings that evening. Watched my portion sizes and was within 100 calories of my daily goal.
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    I got through Canadian Thanksgiving unscathed. I had a pretty light day in calories so I could enjoy a piece of apple pie, turkey and all the fixings that evening. Watched my portion sizes and was within 100 calories of my daily goal.

Alllllll riiiighhhtttt!

I'm slightly worried about Thanksgiving. I'll be at the family's house for a couple of days so it will be a little harder to control what is served but if I can avoid candy I'll call it a win.
  • kosseychick
    @papayahed it's tough around family for a few days for sure.. always pushing snacks desserts.. good luck🤞
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    So pleased we don't have Thanksgiving. Our family does a BBQ with salmon and fancy salads for Xmas and a huge pavlova and fruit salad for dessert. So I think that won't be too hard. But Thanksgiving after Halloween (is it after?) sounds like a hard ask for willpower. Well done!
  • kosseychick
    @maiomaio71 Canada Thanksgiving is before Halloween and the States is after Halloween. I guess I'm lucky that I'm away working over Halloween so I'm not tempted by the little candies or chocolate bars. And I love barbeque salmon.. one of my personal faves
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    I'm going to pick out some new recipes to try out this year, with the goal of making things that are a) delicious, b) emphasizing fall flavors, and c) veggie-forward. I love planning out dishes for Thanksgiving. :)
  • ConfidentRaven
    ConfidentRaven Posts: 1,428 Member
    Way to go!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    merph518 wrote: »
    Very nice. As much as I love to feast at Thanksgiving, I'm going to try to behave this year and still stay in budget.

I stay in a budget but my budget is very generous. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays.

Since I can move more freely now plan for this holiday and every food-centric holiday moving forward is to move more than average. My plan is not to pay for some of the extra calories right now it is just to establish a more instinctive habit that more food should equal more movement. From what I understand it will take a very long time for this habit to take hold but that is okay I can plan to do it for as long as I need.
  • conniewilkins56
    We usually have thanksgiving leftovers for days....this year I am making smaller amounts of everything to reduce day after over indulgence...after the last few days I have had, I plan on staying on target for turkey day....
  • kosseychick
    @conniewilkins56 that's what I did this year. I made enough of the fixings for 1 day of leftovers. The left over turkey and bones went into the freezer for future soup or stew meals.
  • conniewilkins56
    Turkey day is three weeks away!....what is everyone in USA doing to celebrate and what’s for dinner?....Share some stuff!!!
  • gewel321
    My family always goes all out. We do everything from Turkey and stuffing to sweet potato casserole. For me it is about moderation and not depriving myself. That will lead to failure and guilt. I will plan for my calories earlier in the week so I don't blow the whole week.

Two bites of pie will not make me gain the 13 lbs I've lost. But the guilt from depriving myself and slipping up will cause me to binge on everything! One day will not make or break me and that's the attitude to have!
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    I haven't done any meal planning yet! maybe this weekend...
  • conniewilkins56
    Oh my!...amkita my life revolves around my infamous lists!....