Thanksgiving

Options

Replies

• hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Turkey day is three weeks away!....what is everyone in USA doing to celebrate and what’s for dinner?....Share some stuff!!!

@conniewilkins56 Shout out to you for asking the questions because I need some new ideas for different ways to celebrate.

One thing I've instituted for our blended family - by this I mean that our children each have two sets of "parents" and that some of their spouses also have two sets - do not feel that you "must" eat another Thanksgiving meal that day; come over later in the evening, have coffee and visit with us because that is what we would love the most, seeing you and the grandchildren. Do not make our house your 5th dinner of the day. Know that we'll play a board game, watch Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, and read the Night Before Christmas to any small children that want to crawl up on the couch with Granny Pam.
  • michne16
    michne16 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I'm eating what I want but no dessert. Can't handle it.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I had “ the best laid plans”, but you know how that goes!...I was going to prepare the entire dinner and be in control of the amount of fats and sugar in the food....Saturday my daughter asked if it was ok if she cooked dinner on thanksgiving...she did it another time about five years ago when I had one of my knees replaced...I will have 5 x the mess I usually have!...
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I had “ the best laid plans”, but you know how that goes!...I was going to prepare the entire dinner and be in control of the amount of fats and sugar in the food....Saturday my daughter asked if it was ok if she cooked dinner on thanksgiving...she did it another time about five years ago when I had one of my knees replaced...I will have 5 x the mess I usually have!...

Let's reframe this (I'm a therapist so it comes with the territory). Think of all the calories you will burn cleaning up this colossal mess!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    You should never have told me you are a therapist!...I need one desperately lol
  • Satisfiedwithbetter
    Satisfiedwithbetter Posts: 970 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Thanksgiving dinner has been an excuse to overeat since as far as I can remember. @gewel321 nice NSV. I will try to enjoy all the foods I like without overeating this year. I am actually excited about the opportunity to make a habitual experience of harming myself with food a pleasurable experience of just enjoying my family and friends. @conniewilkins56 I am actually looking forward to the clean kitchen after dinner! When I read GTD about a year ago, I purchased an app called OmniFocus, and started adding 1 thing weekly to my list that would only take a couple minutes per day. At first it was “Clean 1 thing in the kitchen” and then over time it evolved into several small tasks that add up to a clean kitchen. I get so much enjoyment and pride out of a clean kitchen these days, it’s hard to describe. My daughter(an aspiring chef) is much the same way. She cooks amazing food, but the mess can be daunting. I have started to clean up as she cooks lately, 5 minutes here and there seems to make a huge difference in how I feel about the meal.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I love to cook but I hate a nasty kitchen....I clean as I go!....on the other hand, my daughter cooks like she is caught up in a tornado!
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    You should never have told me you are a therapist!...I need one desperately lol

I get that all the time! lol I run a psych hospital in my day to day life so there isn't much I haven't seen!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Find a really yummy turkey T V dinner just in case!
  • DogMom919
    DogMom919 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Much like amkita
  • DogMom919
    DogMom919 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Oops! I hit post accidentally.....but, much like amkita I am finding new and healthy recipes to try this year.
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Ok, family will be here sunday through saturday. I'm worried about slipping into old patterns and completely going off the rails. I had three rules I used the last time I was home. No soda, no candy, and walk everyday. And I decided to try to keep everything else in check but not worry about it. I think I can manage those for this visit but I'm wondering if I shouldn't push myself a little further and still try to keep a calorie deficit. I don't want to ruin this visit worrying about calories but I need to learn how to navigate these situations.

Did I mention they are bringing my favorite dessert from back home?
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I finally have a good plan for Turkey Day! I am banking 150 calories on Mon., Tues., and Wed., to cover a piece of pie,cool whip and coffee....then I am going to eat my maintenance calories Thurs. and Fri....banking 150 again on Sat......on Thursday I have my menu planned and I am preparing some of the foods with less sugar and fats...I finally convinced my daughter that she needs me to help with the cooking and what the rest of the family doesn’t know will be healthier lol.....
  • FitByFifty1970
    FitByFifty1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    For the first time in many many years I'm going to be with others for Thanksgiving. I found a group on a website called meetup that is having a group dinner. It's a buffet which I'm not crazy about for a few reasons. When I eat out I like to be served (I can get my own food at home!). Also I am a great cook and my general rule is to not eat out anything I can do myself. The exception is Vegas. But Vegas doesn't count! But I don't want to be alone again so it's my decision to go.
    I have my size 18 jeans on right now. They are 'on'. They button and zip. It counts as 'on'. I'm not overly comfortable so I'm going to wear them with a loose sweater (to hide the fat oozing out the top). That way if I am going overboard I'll be VERY uncomfortable adn will stop. Kind of the opposite of people unbuttoning their pants!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Fitbyfifty have a great day and enjoy your Thanksgiving...let us know how the buffet turns out....if you lived here, I would invite you for dinner!...congratulations on your jeans....I can’t wait to be in an 18!
  • FitByFifty1970
    FitByFifty1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks, so kind. You'll get there, we all will. Enjoy the holiday!
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I didnt turn anything down and I havent been that full in a long time but this morning FBG is 96 so I'm considering it a win.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I ate way too much but it was delicious and I did manage to stay under maintenance goal calories for the day!