Introductions

Options

Replies

• designerdiscounts
    designerdiscounts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm a newbie here and am looking forward to that little push I need to get me where I want to be. I'm 3-5 pounds away from my goal weight. Added strength training a month ago and am already seeing a difference.

I'm Demian, 46 yrs old, mom of 2 teenagers, very happily married, addicted to pickleball.

5'4" tall, current weight 133 lbs.

Thanks for setting this up!
  • bk0626
    bk0626 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi - I've been on MFP off and on for a couple years (some more successful than others!) - I'm back on a roll toward getting/keeping healthy. First time challenge joiner (long time lurker) Hoping this will help me stay accountable. Looking forward to the challenge. Happy New Year and good luck to all - thanks Brian
  • saltypickle
    saltypickle Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

My name is Sal and I live in Minnesota. Thanks for your future support and encouragement!

My goal is a new lifestyle of more exercise, less processed foods, and mindful eating choices (e.g., awareness of amount & where I eat).

Scales set me up for mind games. So instead, I’m using a tape measure to check my height/waist ratio, plus using a full length mirror.

Right now I feel like aliens took over my body and am currently sporting a sugar belly.
    Any tips on sugar detox?
  • azblooms
    azblooms Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    New me.. new you in 2020! HappY New Year everyone!
  • yellobird13
    yellobird13 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I’m Eva and from Chicago. This is my third time in as many months. I’m glad it’s a new decade, since the last decade was pretty rough for a number of reasons (a health issue in 2010 that came out of nowhere and lead to almost 10 years filled with health, relationship, and work stress). I finally feel like I can come back up for air and take some steps towards taking better care of myself. My weight has been up and down and up again during that time. I currently have about 15 pounds to shed to be back in my comfort zone (and my wardrobe). Realizing that the weight will likely only come off with patient focus on healthy habits. Also realizing that healthy habits and expectations are likely more important than the weight. My goals for this month are pretty aligned with this challenge, 30 min daily exercise, stay within 1500 calories while eating mostly healthy. I’ll also try to not be a quitter this time, even if I fall off the train again. Thanks to @RangerRickL for continuing to organize this challenge and everyone for being here and giving it their best!
  • lisajanel71
    lisajanel71 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm totally new to MFP and I was searching around and found this challenge.

I want to lose 20 lbs for my wedding in May! I'm planning on doing a Mung Bean Soup detox and then later the blood sugar solution 10 day detox. I'm also planning in exercising a minimum of 30 minutes a day.

One thing I'm curious of is why doesn't the challenges page on the app show the challenges?
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    I'm totally new to MFP and I was searching around and found this challenge.

I want to lose 20 lbs for my wedding in May! I'm planning on doing a Mung Bean Soup detox and then later the blood sugar solution 10 day detox. I'm also planning in exercising a minimum of 30 minutes a day.

One thing I'm curious of is why doesn't the challenges page on the app show the challenges?

@lisajanel71. UAC should appear on the challenges group. However maybe no longer on the first page. Once the month has started, all posts are to the group here instead of the "advertising" thread in the challenges group.

A lot of ill-thought out challenges run in the challenges group and they tend to drown out more organised and long running challenges (that tend to have their own group pages).

UAC creates a new group for posts each month.

About ill-thought out challenges. They tend to fall into a number of categories:
    • Lose x lbs in x weeks (twice as easy for someone at 320 lbs to lose 10 lbs, than for someone at 160 lbs).
    • Run, jog, swim, plank, push-up, etc... (they generally encourage people to push too hard for current ability and risk injury)
    • Cut out sugars, do keto, do low carb, no alcohol, diet restrictions, etc... (these are attempting temporary one-size fits all fixes to long term problems. If you want long term change, you must make long term changes otherwise you return to where you were when you started)

There is so much mis-information about how to control weight that those who actually achieve long term results (for free) and are trying to give away real information (for free) are drowned out by fads, sponsored/subsidised government authorities, get rich quick hustlers and the multi-billion dollar weight loss industry.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    @lisajanel71

There is a challenge section of the forum that craigo3154 discussed above.

There is also a challenge link in the pulldown menu. That one is specifically for sponsored challenges posted by MFP (Under Armor). They are essentially contests that require that one eat a certain food or do exercises to win possible prizes. I believe the vast majority of those are US only so those in other countries (like craigo) wouldn't see them.

Hope that clears things up!
  • lacatgirl
    lacatgirl Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I have been an MFP member (on and off) over the past year. My goal is to establish better exercise habits and I think this challenge will be a help. I still am not sure where I check in but I will figure it out.
  • kx7003
    kx7003 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi I’ve just joined and will sign in for Jan 4 later 👍
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    @cjane917 Welcome back!
  • cjane917
    cjane917 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Thank you!