January 2 Sign In

Options

Replies

• Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Exercise? Yeah! 30 minutes on the treadmill. Core exercises. 8.5k steps for the day.

Within my calorie goal? Absolutely!

Tracked everything? ✔️
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    @LesIckaBod I had to laugh at your future eating disorder comment. It is hard to be a parent. I have talked to my kids about healthy eating & recently told my son that he can diet however he chooses but make sure to eat protein a certain number of grams of protein every day (he wants a visible 6 pack). fingers crossed that we are doing the right things... I just know I am doing my best.

@LisaPower123. As one who actually has a visible 6 pack (and have had for over 2 years), I think I can talk to this. (I've also done A LOT of research in this area)

For a male, the ONLY thing that maintains a visible 6 pack is low body fat. Nothing else. No amount of exercise is going to make abs stand out. You just need to have a thin enough layer of body fat to not hide them.

It is exceptionally difficult for a female to have a visible six pack. Any female with a six pack is either very unwell (physically and possibly psychologically), or genetically "gifted/cursed". Females must maintain a higher body fat % than males to maintain health, but make up for this with lower lean muscle mass to stay similar healthy BMI (weight/height ratio).

How old is your son? Only when in late teens (17+) should they have such a concern about body shaping. Secondly, body shape, unless extreme, does not greatly impact attractiveness to a potential partner. Attitude, confidence and personality are the biggest factors there.

So how do males maintain low body fat?
    • Eating only as much as they burn (tracking weight and consumption)
    • Exercise to maintain strength and muscle mass (moderate weight training (bodyweight is sufficient) and moderate cardio to maintain fitness/endurance)

That is it. No magic. No fat/protein/carb ratios. No supplements. No special exercise plan.

Also a male does not want the "chisled" abs look you see in magazines. The techniques to get these types of photos include excessive workout to "pump" the muscles, dehydration to tighten the skin, posture to enhance the look of the abs and above lighting to define the lines even more.

Do not rely on hunger to control consumption. Hunger and satiety controls have not evolved as quickly as modern food production. Food consumption tracking in a westernised society is the only reliable way to keep this balance consistently. (Primitive diets tend to need less tracking as there is less processed food to throw off the balance)

Lastly, everyone is slightly different. Some need more protein, some need more fat, some need more fibre. You need to experiment to work out what works best for the individual. (There are vegetarian/vegan body builders that build muscle on comparatively low protein). As long as he is getting appropriate essential fats, essential proteins (amino acids), vitamins and minerals, the body has a way of balancing the rest.
  • Fife24
    Fife24 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Date: January 2
    Exercised?: Yes, moving boxes into the garage for 20+ minutes—harder than it sounds!
    Calories?: Yes.
    Tracked?: Yes.
    Also started tracking my steps. Over 3200 today. I’m going to try to increase every day.

Day 2 down. Grateful for everyone here!

Thanks for the pics, R2.
  • corriepelc
    corriepelc Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? 2 mile treadmill run + 34 minutes Barre Blend Long Legs Blend

Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes and under

Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yep!
  • saltypickle
    saltypickle Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Exercise 20 minutes: includes 16 flights of stairs.
    Calories within goal: yes
    Tracked: yes
  • Chris3414
    Chris3414 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Exercised?: Yes - 57 active minutes
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes