Options

Replies

• cmhubbard92
    cmhubbard92 Posts: 5,018 Member
    Options
    Monday 01/19
    Tracked: yes
    Under: yes
    Exercise: yes - Grid class at gym in the morning and then a line dancing class in the evening
    Steps: 16,713
    Water: 93

@petrocoetsee fabulous work! :)
  • cmhubbard92
    Options
    1/21/20 Weigh-In
    Previous: 192.7
    Current: 196.2
    Gain: 3.5lb
  • jmalderman
    jmalderman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    1/12
    Tracking: yes
    Within calories: yes
    Exercise: yes, 110 minutes tennis, 6 minutes frisbee with dog
    Steps: 8,877
  • richmondwriter
    richmondwriter Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Jan. 20th:
    Under: no
    Exercise: yes, walked dog 35 minutes plus 30 minutes on treadmill
  • richmondwriter
    richmondwriter Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    My goal is to eat more protein and vegetables today so that I don't snack. That was my downfall yesterday.
  • simbersea
    simbersea Posts: 1,248 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    mhassan160 wrote: »
    Weigh in this morning Monday January 20
    253.2 lb 😔

I had entered your weight from yesterday at 252... would you like me to update it to your weight today?
    This weigh in for week 3 so you can update it, but my concern is how did my weight increase and the last week was the first week that I went to the gym for five days??, I was losing weight when I was going to the gym for just two days??? Anyway,I will keep going to the gym for the five days and never give up let’s see what will happen next week!

Please don’t be discouraged. @cmhubbard is totally correct. DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) means after strength exercise, you will (hopefully) make tears in your muscles. Your body will then repair these tears, plus a bit extra, giving you more muscle. But while the body is doing the repair work, it will cushion your muscles with a little extra fluid. That is what you are seeing on the scale. Keep it up and your new (sexy) muscles will more then make up for the water retention 😬
  • simbersea
    Options
    1/20/20
    Water: yes
    Exercise: yes (1 hr walk; 1 hr weightlifting, 2 hrs pickleball)
    Steps; 15,110

All that exercise and I actually gained a pound from yesterday because of the weightlifting 😄
  • petrocoetsee
    petrocoetsee Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    simbersea wrote: »
    1/20/20
    Steps; 15,110

All that exercise and I actually gained a pound from yesterday because of the weightlifting 😄

What is pickleball?
  • cmhubbard92
    Options
    1/20/20
    Steps; 15,110

What is pickleball?

It's kind of like tennis, but with ping pong paddles... I remember playing it in high school!
  • simbersea
    Options
    1/20/20
    Steps; 15,110

What is pickleball?

We call it Tennis for older people. You generally play as a doubles team so there isn’t as much running side-to-side as tennis. A bit easier on the knees and joints. Not a ton of rules so it’s easy to learn and it’s just fun. You get to run around a tennis court whacking a wiffle ball for a couple hours. Plus you can play inside or outside so weather is never an issue. I play with a women’s league, then occasionally a mixed league with my husband. Gives us something fun to do together.
  • brandi_84
    brandi_84 Posts: 1,963 Member
    Options
    brandi_84 wrote: »
    To help keep in line with pre-planning, keeping under calories and sticking with the plan, I am trying to prep the night before. I have dinner in the fridge to thaw, lunch already prepared (tuna salad) and veggies cut.

That is a wonderful idea @brandi_84, I have been trying to do mostly the same... having dinner thawing is where I screw up the most! I love tuna salad!

@cmhubbard92 I have decided that tuna salad seems to be better and less fishy if prepared ahead of time. Dinner thawing is hard to remember to do, worse when you have it thawing but it's still partially frozen when you get ready to cook.
  • cmhubbard92
    Options
    To help keep in line with pre-planning, keeping under calories and sticking with the plan, I am trying to prep the night before. I have dinner in the fridge to thaw, lunch already prepared (tuna salad) and veggies cut.

That is a wonderful idea @brandi_84, I have been trying to do mostly the same... having dinner thawing is where I screw up the most! I love tuna salad!

@cmhubbard92 I have decided that tuna salad seems to be better and less fishy if prepared ahead of time. Dinner thawing is hard to remember to do, worse when you have it thawing but it's still partially frozen when you get ready to cook.

@brandi_84 I am contemplating getting that instant thaw thing that looks like a cutting board. I cant remember the name of it, but I browsed it a few times around the holidays.... it sounds too good to be true, but I think it is worth trying!

I didn't realize that tuna is less smelly when made in advance... I usually only have tuna if I'm home or out because I dont want to carry the smell with me at work! That's really good to know!
  • cmhubbard92
    Options
    1/21/20
    Exercise: yes, 30 minutes yoga plus walking
    Steps: 10,599+
    Water: 112oz
    Planned&followed: yes
  • mhassan160
    mhassan160 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    253.2 lb 😔

I had entered your weight from yesterday at 252... would you like me to update it to your weight today?
    This weigh in for week 3 so you can update it, but my concern is how did my weight increase and the last week was the first week that I went to the gym for five days??, I was losing weight when I was going to the gym for just two days??? Anyway,I will keep going to the gym for the five days and never give up let’s see what will happen next week!
    @mhassan160 there are so many reasons why we gain weight on the scale when everything we do points to "you will lose this week". In your case, you have over doubled your workouts, which means your body is going to hold onto some of that water to repair muscle! Keep doing what you are doing, your fat loss is still occurring, but it is being "masked" by extra water. Here are a few other reasons why we will not lose week after week-there are so many factors that cause the scale to stay the same or jump up! Don't stress any scale gains if you are doing everything right (staying at a deficit, eating the right amount of your exercise calories backs, drinking water to help aid muscle repair, etc) :)
    Carbohydrate intake: The number of carbs you’re consuming will affect scale weight. Remember, 1 gram of carbohydrate comes along with 3g of water. This is why when people go on a low-carb, or ketogenic diet, they see rapid weight loss (not fat loss) initially as the body drops water. Inversely, if you’re ending a period of low-carb or ketogenic dieting, you can expect your weight on the scale to go up.

Water retention: Water retention ‘masks’ fat loss and people falsely assume they’re not losing fat even in a calorie deficit, or worse, they’re gaining body fat – cue the “metabolic damage” news stories.

Sodium balance: If you’re consuming a certain level of sodium per day and then one day you consume more sodium your body will retain water, conversely, if you decrease sodium intake, your body will release water. 1

Menstrual Cycle: Ladies, your monthly cycle will make you retain water. I know, it sucks, but you’re awesome so smile. I wrote about dealing with the problem here. And seeing we’re on the topic, if you’re struggling with cravings during TTOM, read this.

Stress levels: Increased stress = water retention and with water retention comes a spike in scale weight. 

Sleep: Poor sleep can also increase stress levels = water retention = weight increase on the scale. 

Timing of last meal: If you generally eat your last meal at 8pm, then one day you eat your last meal at 11pm. This will see the scale increase the next day.

The time you weigh-in: If you regularly weigh in at 5am and then one day weigh in at 8am, this will impact scale weight.

Alcohol consumption: Alcohol can dehydrate you, leaving you lighter the next day. However, alcohol can also increase hunger. So if you go out and drink and consume foods high in salt and carbs, this will also impact your weight the next day.

That was helpful, I will keep it on mind and see next week for the bigg weight loss, thanks alot!
  • mhassan160
    mhassan160 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    253.2 lb 😔

Please don’t be discouraged. @cmhubbard is totally correct. DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) means after strength exercise, you will (hopefully) make tears in your muscles. Your body will then repair these tears, plus a bit extra, giving you more muscle. But while the body is doing the repair work, it will cushion your muscles with a little extra fluid. That is what you are seeing on the scale. Keep it up and your new (sexy) muscles will more then make up for the water retention 😬
    It will not let me down I promise 💪 will win that war with fat!
  • cmhubbard92
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Looking for some weigh ins from earlier in the week :)

Sunday:
    @p_mad
    @SereneRose

Monday:
    @losingbecks
    @lozenger1984

Tuesday:
    @kydztoi

Wednesday:
    @brandi_84
    @sarahannsuarez
    @twitch82 *

* will be removed from challenge if no weight is submitted this week.
  • jmalderman
    jmalderman Posts: 97 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    1/21
    Tracking: yes
    Within calories: yes
    Exercise: yes
    Steps: 11,203
  • sarahannsuarez
    sarahannsuarez Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Also @cmhubbard92 I'm really sorry... I can't keep up with the challenges. I actually pay attention to what's behind them.... but can't post/track so much. Focusing on eating right and exercising instead.
This discussion has been closed.