January - Nutritarian New Year!

Options

Replies

• magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,825 Member
    Options
    Back to work today...

Compared to last Friday, I feel 10 times better! The hot showers really help to loosen everything!

Have a great day all! Soup and juices for me with a treat of PB and celery.

Later, mates.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,592 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    @Mihani - I am so glad you are feeling almost normal! I am so glad to hear you will keep taking care of yourself. No relapses if at all possible!

Hey @magic71755 - Someone recommended this recipe to me, and I thought you, as soup lover, might like the look of this. I certainly added it to my to-try list!
    Roasted Carrot, Garlic & Chickpea Soup
    https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2019/11/18/roasted-carrot-chickpea-garlic-soup-recipe/

Retirement - yes, I can see being happy to continue to work. And Magic, your compressed schedule seems ideal. As long as you have the health and endurance, it seems like a great gig.
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    I slept pretty well last night, didn't take any medicine and still did okay and lasted through today with some energy left over. I went out for a glass of wine with my brother, which probably wasn't wise, but honestly I was totally tired of nothing but home and work the past two weeks. I am going to eat some dinner, read for a bit, and head to bed. Planning office all weekend... soooo much to catch up on since I wasn't working at full capacity lately.

Glad you are feeling better too, Magic, and hope you get a good night's rest.

How's everything in your world, Austin?

What happened to FoodBodyChanges? If you're still out there let us know how you're doing.

• Mihani
    Options
    I didn't make it to the office today. Slept in and then decided I should get some things done here. I haven't done much laundry or even been to the grocery in the past two weeks because I've been so sick. Made a grocery run and stocked up on some things. Going to make a batch of balsamic roasted mushrooms, roasted broccoli and cauliflower, a batch of soup, and some E2 hummus. Tonight's dinner will be fajitas with tempeh, peppers, onion, salsa, sprouted grain tortillas.

I hope in another day or two I'll be up to getting back at the treadmill. I would like to get a little cleaning done today too. The dog hair is piling up in the corners!

• magic71755
    Options
    Just a quick hello to my very sweet group! My cold is so much better. Really only lasted a week with symptoms...on the mend for sure...still some congestion but man, once it opens up you just feel so much better. It's when it is stuck in your eyes and has no place to go that you feel so bad.

Today is my Thursday...quiet day I hope. I am pretty much just doing juices and soup...oh and today I am using an Amy's Vegan frozen meal. I bought four. This is the first time she has come out with meals that actually say vegan. They were on sale at Sprouts...and right now, I need a little help in the kitchen.

Hope you are feeling better Mihani. And the day home, yesterday, served you well.

Austin, thanks for the support on my decision to just keep on working 40 hours. I think I am at the point of thinking in terms of how working is really helping me stay healthy. Let's not fix what is not broken.

Wishing you all a glorious Sunday!
  • AustinRuadhain
    Options
    Happy Sunday, all!

Magic, happy "Thursday!" I am so glad you are feeling better! Colds can linger, but it sounds like you are getting better at a great rate. Good job finding some Amy's vegan meals, and on sale. A little help in the kitchen sounds like a fine thing this week. Your reasing about not fixing what is not broken sounds super smart!

Mihani, your note about the dog hair in the corners made me smile. Been there, though with cat hair! Your food prep plans all sound delicious!

I had a good day yesterday -- on plan with my food, and got in some good movement.

I got inspired by the Essentrics New Years Challenge, and have been fitting in one of the Essentrics (Classical Stretch PBS show) workouts every day. They are 20 minutes, gentle and encourage strength and flexibility. I am also still getting in other movement every day, but adding this 20 minutes of something 'different' is being fun.

I am on track for a good food day. I got a bunch of veggie prep done this morning.

B(done)-the usual green smoothie, almond butter, some fresh pineapple
    L(planned)-steamed greens, steamed squash, mushrooms & parsnips, steamed acorn squash & cranberries
    S(planned)-almond butter or brazil nuts, apple slices
    D(planned)-huge salad (massaged kale, romaine, roma tomatoes, fresh bell pepper, some baked beets), homemade nutritarian dressing w/avocado & dijon, baked spaghetti squash
  • Mihani
    Options
    Got in a good 5 hours at the office and got through some things. I brought a couple files home but I never cooked all my veggies yesterday so I need to get that done first thing. Hopefully I'll have some time to work later on this evening, but if not so be it. Prepping for a healthy week is important too. I forgot that I bought 4 bunches of kale so I am going to saute with onions and peppers.

I used to like the Amy's entrees, Magic, but I think the quality has gone downhill over the past few years. If you try one that is really good let me know. Glad you're feeling better.

Agree with you that trying new things to keep it interesting is important when it comes to exercise, Austin. It's easy to get into a rut and get bored. Curious if you are wary of romaine these days. I have pretty much sworn it off after all the repeated scares.

B - oats with all the things
    L - Dr. McD's hot and sour soup, apple
    D - leftover fajitas (nom nom)
  • AustinRuadhain
    Options
    Hi ETL friends!

Mihani -- good for you for prioritizing your prep for the week! That kale sounds yummy -- enjoy!
    Oh and your nom nom on the fajitas made me smile!
    I did try the Punchy Mustard Dressing you mentioned -- nom nom from me for that!
    As far as romaine -- I avoid it when there's an issue and eat it when there's not. Maybe I should worry more? I like it so much and there are so many things I don't eat, I guess I have my fingers in my ears and am saying LaLaLa about that one, as long as it's currently okay. I do also still drink coffee!

Magic -- it's your Friday, today, yes? Hope it is being a good day and that you are continuing to mend!

Good ETL food day going here. Can't chat long now as it is time to head to martial arts class! Zooom!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Austin, it makes me sad that romaine scares me now! I love it, so crisp and tasty. Just seems like it keeps coming up tainted. I read an article a while back about why romaine is so susceptible but can't remember the details now. I am glad you liked the punchy mustard dressing. I am actually getting ready to make another batch as I forgot to make salad dressing yesterday. So easy to make too.

Today was a better day than I've had lately as far as eating all the GOMBS. I just didn't feel like prepping and cooking when I was sick, much less going to the store.

B - Leftover kale
    B #2 when I got the office: oats with all the things (baby spinach, chia seeds, a couple walnut halves, berries, turmeric, cinnamon, black pepper)
    L - roasted broccoli and cauliflower, balsamic roasted mushrooms, roasted baby potatoes
    D - big ol' salad, an apple
  • magic71755
    Options
    Morning ladies...sorry I have been MIA a bit.

On my weekend. Plugging along. Seem to be in a bit of a rut, mentally. Cold lingers...nothing horrible...just still some congestion.

Working on making big salad food prep for the week. Lots of potatoes and looking for a cheese sauce recipe...one without oil. Plantifulkiki seems to have one...both with cashews and one without. I probably will try the one with.

I am short...and 20 extra pounds makes me look "dumpy". I am focusing on getting this off. Looking into the Starch Solution by Dr. McDougall.

I just feel that without these 20 pounds, my knees will be so much happier. I am going to make this happen.

Hope everyone's day is delicious.
  • magic71755
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I made the cheese sauce -PlantifulKikki's (3 16 ounce mason jars) but I added pickled jalapeno juice ...about two tablespoons into one jar. YUM...made the difference. Lauren Toyota uses it in her recipe, which I will use next time...but just not add the oil and use the cashews instead. See below.

Dr. Fuhrman and Dr. McDougal are more alike than not. I am not tracking anything...(waiting for books to arrive)...but from what I am seeing by everyone who YouTubes about the starch solution, people just do not track anything. Which is what I am looking for. I think what I will be doing is combining both. I am going to stop with the majority of nuts and seeds...(still using tahini in dressing and cashews for recipes)...but stopping the peanut butter for while...well, at least til I get these 20 pounds off.

In 2003 I weighed 240 lbs. Today I weigh about 145 ish. 20 pounds will make such a huge difference in my knee pain and my overall energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUH3ttCnnGU

• AustinRuadhain
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Happy Wednesday, friends!

Magic, you are sounding so ambitious about losing the weight and making your knees happier. That is so great! I know losing the weight has had me go from barely able to walk and being told I need knee surgery, to no problem. I actually ran a few intervals on my walk the other night, just for the joy of it. I am wishing that same kind of success for you, and figuring out what works for you is part of the challenge and the journey.

Mihani - Hurray for feeling better and getting in those GBOMBS!
    And zowie -- kale makes for a breakfast of champions, I think!

I am having a good ETL day! I started off with a gym date with my husband, and then a green smoothie and some fresh pineapple. Life is good.

I am listening to a thought-provoking audiobook - Savor by Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh. It's a great nudge to thinking about health as a whole body endeavor, for sure. (The link is to an Oprah article. I am apparently 10 years behind in discovering the book, but it is still quite relevant.)
  • Mihani
    Options
    Magic, I lean a bit more toward Dr. McD or Engine 2 sometimes. I like my starches! I don't crave the bread and salty/snacky like I used to, but I still love potatoes, squash, rice, quinoa and grains. I don't overeat on those types of starches like I do on bread and pasta, although I still eat sprouted grain bread and tortillas which don't trigger overeating.

I will have to look into that book, Austin. Appreciate your recommendations on interesting reads. I have been eating kale for breakfast all week since I made a huge batch. It tastes so good and gets my mind right for a healthy day. It has been a while since I've done much cooking and I am totally loving the roasted broccoli and cauliflower and the balsamic roasted mushrooms. I am eating all my raw veggies thanks to my salad prepping friend, but I have been really slacking on the cooked veggies lately.

Still super busy at work, but I feel like maybe we are starting to turn the corner on getting a bit caught up and the work flowing better.
  • magic71755
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Girls! Girls! Girls! You are so supportive...I love you guys!

Austin, I don't think I will ever be able to run again...I have been bone on bone since 1982 ...four knee operations, starting in 1969...so no cartilage left. It is a wonder I am walking, actually. I will just be happy to be able to walk long distances and get back on the bike...recumbent first, and then my ultimate goal is upright bike. I want a Peloton.

Before I was dx with cancer in 1998, I was teaching and had a Lifecyle in my home. UP at 4 am...riding for about 45 min in the morning and sweating just like the commercial. I LOVED IT. That is my ultimate goal if it is possible. My knees are so crunchy...not sure that will happen again.

Anyway, I woke up feeling pretty positive with The Starch Solution in my head. I got on the scale and am down a few pounds...142.2 THAT is exciting. New YouTuber I am watching is Plantifulkiki. She is a mom with two little ones...uses The SS for her guide...so yeah, I am pretty focused at the moment.

Mihani, I think potatoes are something I can really get behind. And rice. But right now, focus is on potatoes and veggies for breakfast. I am going to take a salad with me to work from now on...I will eat it when the dealership quiets down about 6 pm on Fridays and Saturdays. Sundays, I can eat it anytime actually. Mondays, I will wait til I get home.

Anyway, pumped right now...and I needed something to light a fire under me. I have been so down lately...I just want healthy knees.

I do have it in me to make them as healthy as possible under the circumstances. So I am grateful for what I DO HAVE!

Have a delicious day everyone.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Awww... love you too Magic! Your plans sound solid.

I had a super busy day and there are some things in motion that are going to keep me even more busy here soon. My house needs a ton of work and I met with a contractor today. Eeeek! Now waiting for estimate. But it's not as bad as I thought on many things. So I'm feeling optimistic. I've let so many things go over the past 10 years or so, because I was working all the time and I had so many pets who were tearing the house up. Now it's time to start addressing these issues. I was considering just moving, but I love my house so I am going to stay put and get things fixed.
  • CoffeeandHumblePie
    CoffeeandHumblePie Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hi all, and long time no "see". I have been off of MFP for quite awhile, and not at all on WFPB eating. :# I actually tried Keto this Fall (with disastrous results, healthwise) and realized one day that I really missed the good food and good feelings of the WFPB lifestyle. So, I'm back in the saddle again. I am following McDougall more than Fuhrman - those McDougall starches are a better fit, and I cannot eat a big Fuhrman salad every day. Nope. It must be our cold weather here Up North, starches and hot soups are more appealing than a big salad. Anywho, I'm glad to be back!

Today:
    Breakfast: A McDougall Banana Blueberry Oatmeal Bar
    Lunch: Miso Noodle soup w/ fresh kale, mushrooms, cilantro and green onions added
    Dinner: Baked potato topped with sauteed mushrooms w/savory sauce (ala Jane Esselstyn), lettuce & spinach salad topped with pinto beans, grilled onions, roasted corn, and tomato

Quite satisfying!

Hope you've all had a super day!

Jacque
  • AustinRuadhain
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Oh, @magic71755 ! Congratulations on being down to 142.2!
    Yes, I totally get that with bone on bone, different things are possible, and not possible. But I SO hear in your speaking that you are going to make the BEST of what you've got. And that is so, so inspiring!

I am also inspired by your remembering to be grateful for what you DO HAVE, health-wise!

And I am reminded to be grateful. That conversation fits in with the audiobook I am listening to, Savor: Mindful Eating, Mindful Life. I was just yesterday listening to a section that was suggesting that I use mindfulness to notice body things that are working -- so slow down, notice, and move those things, for a moment, from "things I take for granted" to "things I have positive feelings about."

Plantifulkiki's story, over on Dr Mc D's website, is hugely inspiring!

Your focus on potatoes and veggies for breakfast and including a salad at lunch sounds wonderfully healthy and manageable!

Oh, and I forgot to add -- I share your love of pickled jalapenos. Adding some jalapeno pickle juice to your sauce sounded like genius to me!

@Mihani -Wow! Your house project sounds so exciting! Your shifting gears and noticing what's not working, and getting in action is great! So smart to talk to a contractor and see what's involved in just fixing what's broken down!

Our houses are like our bodies, maybe -- tending to fall apart unless we work at them.

It is so easy to let things go... I have a stack of things I have let go that I am worrying about. I have a busy day today, and am out to make a difference on a couple of key things. I have a Scouts Parent thing I need to get the ball rolling on. House things have to start with getting my office in order. Anyway, making my list and hoping to deal with some of the dirty corners in my life today!

@CoffeeandPie ! So glad to have you back! I am sorry to hear that your fall experiment with Keto went poorly, and hope that you have recovered, or are recovering well.
    It's great to hear you have figured out that those McDougall starches work well for you, and help you make the plant-based choices you want, with pleasure. That's great!
    Your plant-based menu looks delicious!
    And, hey, don't know if you caught it, but Magic is also focusing on McDougall starches!

Austin News
    Fun news at my house -- my teenager is taking on eating "Mostly Plant-Based." Some meat, but mostly (about 90%) plants. I am pretty excited! It may simplify cooking for me!

Has anyone else here gotten interested in the science of habits? Tiny Habits by B.J. Fogg was one of my holiday gifts (by my request), and I am excited that he is offering a free online course based on the info in the book.
  • magic71755
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Austin, you are so complete in your posts...thank you! Congrats on your teenager eating mostly plants...that is fantastic! What a great clan you have there.

@Mihani congrat on making a decision on how to go forward with your home repairs...that eases your mind, I am sure.

Welcome Coffee&Pie...I think I started after you had left...so howdy and yay for focusing back on plants.

I am at work...today I brought

oatmeal & homemade almond milk
    Dr. McDougall's green onion soup in a cup
    mashed potatoes with almond milk (really no almond flavor) and spinach mixed in
    salad with seasoned rice vinegar dressing
    frozen cherries

Looking at GBOMBS...everything is covered but the mushrooms. Will pick some up tonight and microwave them so they are always ready to add to salads.

Greens -salad and spinach
    Berries- frozen blueberries in my oatmeal
    Onions - green onions in my cuppa soup
    Mushrooms - none...will fix for tomorrow
    Beans - oopsie no beans today...will fix that for tomorrow
    Seeds - flaxmeal in my oatmeal

I made a big pot of mashed potatoes last night and then wilted in the spinach...pretty tasty. I think tomorrow, I will bring asparagus and the potatoes and heat them at my desk in my HOT LOGIC.

No juicing today, but I do have some frozen green juices to incorporate into my day...

Have a delicious day everyone.

Austin, thanks for the link to Plantiful Niki...wow, she sure is a superstar!
  • Mihani
    Options
    I will have to check out plantifulkiki.

Welcome back C&P, glad to hear you are trying the McDougall plan.

Magic, I should note, I order my McD soups through his website, Dr. McDougall's Right Foods. Free shipping on orders over a certain amount and once you are on the mailing list you will get lots of emails with discount codes too. I always keep plenty of those stocked because they are so easy for lunches when I haven't cooked or don't have salads prepped. Excellent news on the pounds lost and getting in most of the GBOMBS.

Austin, that's so cool your teenager is thinking about plant based. True testament to leading by example. I took a mindfulness course some years ago and I still try to practice, but I admit it's not second nature. Learning to breathe through stress is so simple and so amazingly effective. I definitely am much more calm than I was before learning about mindfulness, but I need to practice a lot more so it is easier to call up when needed. And the estimate from the contractor was awesome. So much less than I thought. He was very practical and honest. Things should be getting started in another couple weeks. I'm totally freaking out, but happy too. Can't wait to see my house getting transformed.

I had a good ETL kind of day! I have a busy day tomorrow catching up on things here and a vet appointment for the boy, visiting a friend, etc. Office Sunday.
  • magic71755
    Options
    @Mihani thanks so much for the tip on the soups. I plan on ordering some. Big help!