1200 calories a day

Options

Replies

• aschroeder2749
    aschroeder2749 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Arwensb - those are great suggestions. Now if I can just find the willpower to not eat delicious roasted potatoes... ;)
  • juli_a99
    juli_a99 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i'm on 1250 and this is my first day. this is going to be hard lol!! but i'm doing this to be thin&happy. 5'5 139 gw 115
  • montoyarenee
    montoyarenee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I''m on 1200...I usually have a big breakfast (~400 calls) of foods like steel cut oats, eggs, or greek yogurt. I do need snacks between meals to keep my blood sugar steady, but I taper down to a smaller dinner (~250-300), which usually incorporates a lean protein or fish and veggies. I exercise, but don't use up those extra calories unless I'm really hungry. I'm trying to make a diet change while my hubby is deployed because it's hard to eat only 1200 calls when cooking the things he likes to eat!
  • vhiarose
    vhiarose Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I try to eat about 1000-1200 cals depending on when I exercise (seem to have quite a slow metabolism)but always seem to go over my sugar goal! even though everything else is below the nutrient goal !!which is odd because dont eat that much sugary stuff...

Your sugars from natural foods like fruits are added to the sugar count on MFP. I looked into it and basically MFP sets a limit on any non-natural sugars to 30g as recommended daily intake. Natural sugars should not be included in this count. Unfortunately MFP cannot distinguish between "good" and "bad" sugars. Only processed foods with added sugars should be considered in the 30g limit. That means that I always minus the amount of grams of sugars from natural foods from the total sugar count in my diary per day to only monitor the amount of "bad" sugars I'm eating.
  • avemaryama
    avemaryama Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hello, this is a great post

I do shakes and smooties (home made) I don't put in any protein powder. Do you girls recommend them?
  • nephalime
    nephalime Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I always go over my sugar intake but the only things sugary i eat are fruits, so i don't mind. MFP doesn't recognize that fruits are actually good for you.

i'm now on 1500 calories but i planned on dropping to 1200.

What works for me is a small breakast around 250-300 calories, usually a smoothie, a small lunch around 400 calories, no snacks, i work a lot so i just forget to snack, and then all i have left is for dinner.

I don't think it's that bad to not spread the calories during the day.. is it ?

and if you don't drink the calories, i'm sure it helps (milk, juice, soda etc)
  • overshadows
    overshadows Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee, and start my day with gummy vitamins and calcium chews.

I try to avoid a lot of starch, and seek out veggies and protein for meals. For snacks, I am fond of fruits and seaweed/nori sheets - or jerky. I eat a lot of jerky. I don't deny myself anything apart from a second serving. Generally I have enough calories to eat anything I want for dinner.

My favorite go-to fast food is Chipotle. I order a salad bowl (no dressing), with chicken, fajita veggies, and pico de gallo. I usually squeeze a lemon on top. Sometimes I opt for guac if I have leftover calories left in my day.
  • Tabzicat
    Options
    im on 1200 and i eat what i want. I just make sure its proportioned. lean meats and vege are good and also unprocessed carbs like rice and potato or pumpkin. as long as you dont eat too much of it you'll feel great :). however on days I work out i do eat more as a do alot of strength training and need the extra calories. also if im hungry i eat, even if i go over. it just means i've extended more excercise and energy then the site calculates for. the calorie daily goal is more of a guide line saying you should eat only this much for how active you've informed the site. :) hope that helps :)
  • LaurenEileen74
    LaurenEileen74 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I work out and try to eat foods that keep me full..almonds are great
  • blcgrace
    blcgrace Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Spinach is a great veggie when going so low cal. It's nearly calorie free, it adds volume to food (especially raw) and is high in fiber, so it's filling too. I try and add it in things like egg white scrambles, smoothies, as a base for chicken or tuna.
  • avemaryama
    Options
    Spinach and Kales. Raw in a salad or smoothie, or add it to meals and soups (don't over cook them!) 1200 may seem like it isn't enough but if you're sneaky about it you can eat very satisfying meals.
  • avemaryama
    Options
    I've been craving oil! What should I do? Ignore it? Or add more avocado and nuts to my diet to try and stave it off? I've been doing pretty good about sticking to 1200 and I haven't felt hungrier than usual. I eat when I want to and that's working for me. I already feel more energetic and clear headed.
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    If you're having serious cravings, I'd definitely try to work that into your diet somehow! Better to consciously plan for it, so you don't end up slipping and eating extra.
  • lexingtonjane
    lexingtonjane Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    dont any of you work out?

do some exercise and then you can eat more...

Sooo funny and true
  • pps7
    pps7 Posts: 46
    Options
    dont any of you work out?

do some exercise and then you can eat more...

Yes. This. I can't stick to 1200 a day. When I tried I was starving all day,I felt weak and my hair started falling out. I exercise almost every day and eat 1400-1500. I'm still hungry at times but feel that it's doable.
  • xenl
    xenl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm curious how tall you guys are. MFP had me at 1200 calories net per day and I can honestly say that no good for me. No energy and I wasn't losing weight. I've upped my calorie intake to 1600 and in the first month dropped 5 pounds. I think it's important to not deny your body or starve it.
  • spacelump
    spacelump Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I eat very low carbs and fill up on lean meats, colorful salads, eggs and some fruit instead. Sometimes I will admit to being a little hungry, but worst comes to worse a huge salad with low fat dressing and warm tea only adds on an extra 100 calories, at most. If I want to indulge in a bunless burger or brownie I make sure to workout prior and earn the calories to do so.

I'm 5'9", however and sometimes ignore the calorie numbers and listen to my body. If I'm hydrated, ate my back up salad and am still hungry, it doesn't kill me to have a small meal and, oh no, hit 1500 calories.

Listen to your body, no matter what, but also give yourself time to adjust to the differences you're making. Good luck!
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'd guess most any woman eating 1200 is 5'4 and below.
  • steffipaulina
    Options
    I keep my calorie goal on MFP at maintenance which is 1600 - so I never feel like I HAVE to keep my calories so low. I know it sounds weird but then it's like I'm not forcing myself to eat low calorie - I don't feel mentally deprived? Make sense?

I eat about 1200 and exercise everyday so in the end I have a net calorie of about 600- 700.

I eat very clean and simple and prep most of my meals. A ton of veggies, lean meats, fish and meat substitutes, moderate fats and some carbs. I also 'treat' myself every week to whatever I want - last week I had a red velevet muffin and I stayed in my calorie goal.

I also eat 4 -5 times a day and keep the portions/calories low - my body is completely satisfied with a 200 calorie meal.
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty low net! You should probably be eating back your exercise calories so that you net 1200. Depending on your height even that might be on the low side. 600 is definitely super low.