This April I Will...

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
edited April 2020 in Social Groups
y8sf41km82w0.jpg

Hello Everyone,

I've been thinking all day what to say in this month's intro. Usually April is one of my favorite months. There's abundant sunshine, muddy walks to be taken, Easter and Easter candy, and seeds to be ordered and planted this month. And while all of those things are still happening, the world has changed dramatically over the last few weeks. I've had trouble finding my footing and I'm know I'm not the only one.

But the pandemic has also underscored how vital our health and habits are. Our daily habits and routines have been completely upended. In the face of so much personal, community, and global change and uncertainty, it's no wonder we are stressed and anxious as we try to navigate this new normal.

To me, it's all the more reason to embrace the healthy habits that help us get through the day. The simplest routines like a brief morning walk or a few minutes of prayer or meditation, can be the familiar anchors that help us get through the next few weeks.

Be kind to yourself this April.

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    I just saw this and thought it was lovely:

“When you go out and see the empty streets, the empty stadiums, the empty train platforms, don’t say to yourself, “My God, it looks like the end of the world.”

What you’re seeing is love in action.

What you’re seeing, in that negative space, is how much we do care for each other, for our grandparents, for our immuno-compromised brothers and sisters, for people we will never meet.

People will lose jobs over this. Some will lose their businesses. And some will lose their lives.

All the more reason to take a moment, when you’re out on your walk, or on your way to the store, to look into the emptiness and marvel at all of that love.

Let it fill you and sustain you. It isn’t the end of the world.

It is the most remarkable act of global solidarity we may ever witness.

It is the reason the world will go on.”

~Anonymous"
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Great posts. Thank you. This is unprecedented and we will prevail. Right now I am concentrating on staying within routine as much as possible, active, journaling and reaching out to friends when I feel overwhelmed.

Grateful for this group and all the support. Thank you.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,004 Member
    Options
    Hi all, sorry I disappeared in March. But I’m back for April. Inspired by @MadisonMolly2017, this month I made up a habit tracker, although mine isn’t so pretty.

@themedalist, I love the quote about negative space. I just saw a picture of an empty Midtown Manhattan, and if you think of that emptiness as the result of love it’s impressive.
    jt4v9t5i4qop.jpeg
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,133 Member
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    Hi all, sorry I disappeared in March. But I’m back for April. Inspired by @MadisonMolly2017, this month I made up a habit tracker, although mine isn’t so pretty.

@themedalist, I love the quote about negative space. I just saw a picture of an empty Midtown Manhattan, and if you think of that emptiness as the result of love it’s impressive.
    jt4v9t5i4qop.jpeg

Awesome @77tes !!
    I created one with a coloring page on graph paper this month. Doesn’t matter what it looks like..what I find is having one that we created makes it more precious :)
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    How’s everyone doing?
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    I've also disappeared from here 🙁. I've had some pretty rough months lately because of sudden discovery of a health problem, which caused severe pains in my left ankle 🦶 that has made it quite difficult to exercise or get around much. (sitting more/ standing less 😢☹).

I really do need to get back to posting again because I do miss and need the support of you all. Historically I tend to withdraw when things get difficult for me but, especially now, with the addition of the isolation because of the pandemic, this is when I should be posting instead of withdrawing. We all need the support of each another. So, I'm baaaack 🙋‍♀️.

I loved reading the posts so far for April. Thank you. That is such a beautiful way to think about the empty spaces. including the "social distances" we are practicing. Yes, the negative/ empty space is there because of love. We are refusing to do the things we want or like to do because we love those around us, including those we don't even know. Or will never even meet, when you think about it.

Before posting I skimmed through the months of December-March and I did enjoy seeing the colorful habit trackers! Such creativity and artistic talent 🤩👍.

I am also attempting to keep up with my routines, but with my DH home most of the time now, that has been different for me. So I'm trying to figure things out still. I'm also finally attempting to add back some actual exercise, mostly focusing on upper body for starters.

For this month's healthy habit to track here it will be to add in the addition of a purposeful daily paper decluttering sessions. (goal of 5-6 times a week, for at least 15 minutes). It is going well so far. I started last month to get back to my three decluttering projects (stuff, digital, and paper) that I had been doing last year. But it has been random at best. So I decided to focus on the paper decluttering as a way to have an inside project during this time of staying at home. Outside it will be the flower garden and yard cleanup as tolerated. Since DH is home he is helping me with that. I can't go out and buy new plants, mulch etc, but I sure can spruce up what is there, especially since we had a mild winter for our area. I started some last week before all the rains came. Yay for a couple of days of long soaking rain finally!

Have a beautiful day tomorrow 🌼,

🤠🌺
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Hi My Friends,
    I miss you all. 😘
    Please come back. Together we are Better!

4c5j6cyw5k2e.jpeg
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    1f5qz8ycv2tk.jpeg
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    I am making art daily - as a practice.

I am tracking by day what I clean in the house for the month of April, so I can develop a routine that works that I don’t have to think about for the future!

I am hiking/walking daily EVEN if I am fatigued & don’t want to.

I have made modifications to the food I stock, so none “call” to me. Basically eliminated sweets & chips. It took 3 days of cravings to get back to my manageable appetite.

Also went back to no snacks except a kind bar on my hike, but only if I really need it.

Eat 3 meals of the same number of calories to give me more satisfaction & routine.

Tons of water. Decaf coffee.

I limit news.

Happy Easter!
    v7dc137u2wb2.jpeg
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    And here is my tracker so far
    j1z39mv7wwnn.jpeg

Coloring page copied onto graph paper.
  • 77tes
    Options
    @texasgardnr , it’s good to hear from you. Sorry that you are struggling with health problems and pain. I am learning that getting things done when DH is always home is tough. Still, it’s good practice for when I retire.

@MadisonMolly2017 , thanks for sharing your art, love the calla lily! They are my favorite. I also love your habit tracker Here is mine.

b74wildor6is.jpeg

Today, to celebrate Easter, I prepared Easter baskets for my daughters. otxr0b4u95hq.jpeg
  • 77tes
    Options
    I also decided to dress up for Easter, and before my online church service, I took my pups for their daily walk in one of my historical costumes. My neighbors enjoyed. One lady opened her window to shout that I’d made her day. Another hollered as she jogged past, “1770’s?” She was correct. Then She said she used to do historical sewing. 😊

xszm7bokcub3.jpeg
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    I love love love that you did this @77tes

When corona is past, you two should both dress up & have tea!

Love your tracker!!
  • 77tes
    Options
    I love love love that you did this @77tes

When corona is past, you two should both dress up & have tea!

Love your tracker!!
    Thanks, great idea about tea with my neighbor. 😊
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Yesterday, I began a tiny habit...
    Every morning after I weigh myself (trigger), I will get down on the bedroom floor & move into plank position. Hold it for as little or as much as I like.
    April 13 2 seconds
    April 14 12 seconds

I used to do 5-10 minute long holds. Hardest part is remembering to do it & wanting to get down on the floor 😂

So far, so good. ❤️ Once this one is a habit, I’m going to add light free weights & resistance bands for arms/shoulders/back verrry slowly.
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    Fantastic @77tes you look great!!
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    Hello @texasgardnr good to hear from you. Sorry about your health issues.

@MadisonMolly2017 great new habit. Keep it up!

Started bike riding regularly now that heat is on here in FL. Good to actually break a sweat when riding.

Hot flashes have come back and joint pain. Menopause sucks!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I'll jump in a little late. I enjoy the positive, creative spirit in this group and I miss many of the "old" posters. @77tes I LOVE the 1770's outfit, and the baskets are adorable! I'm sure you brought a little sunshine to your family and neighbors. And @77tes and @MadisonMolly2017, you found/made some great charts to keep you on task! @texasgardnr and @prgirl39mfp, it's great hearing from you again. Good luck to everyone on their habits.

I don't even know what I should do this month and it's already half over. I was drifting for awhile but may have turned the corner (may being the key word). I will start logging again and keep track of my activity burn. It really helped me focus and stay the course last month. But the new habit I want to focus on is 30 minutes of planned exercise a day. I will work on trying to figure out why I am so resistant to that. I enjoy it and I'm not really (too) lazy but it's easy to find some excuse to put it off. Start date April 15.

@prgirl39mfp Have you looked into some natural aids for menopause issues? There might be something that would help you feel better. I just don't now what it is, but it might be worth looking into if you haven't. Good luck.
  • 77tes
    Options
    Well, 2 weeks of April done. As you can see, I’m not keeping up with my good intentions quite so well. But, overall I’m keeping going and doing something Most days toward each of my goals

ab3t5chj88yc.jpeg

@nebslp , maybe You should just say I’ll do at least 5 minutes of planned exercise each day. I know we’ve discussed this strategy in this group before. You might do more, but it will help to establish the habit. To be honest, with my WHB/zone (housework) goal, I sometimes wipe down one thing and figure I’ve done it. So make it easy on yourself until you get the habit established.

@prgirl39mfp , yes, bike riding is a cooler exercise in hot weather - I’m glad you have a bike.

My daughter (who loves playing sports) is really missing her 2 days per week softball and 2 days per week of tennis. She just received the net she ordered, so now she can practice batting and her tennis swing.