Curious to know from you all...

Options
niniundlapin
niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
Would you drop or increase your goal weight within a healthy weight range just because of the natural shape/ size of a specific body part?

I got criticized a lot especially from families for my maintenance weight (ranged 52-54 kg at 166 cm). My original goal when I was in my early 20s was 55 kg while only doing cardio. Now I’m in my mid 30s and have been lifting weights consistently (thought I should’ve put on some muscle weight as well). While I do think my current weight is a bit low, I justified it because I have no boobs... it’s just not there anymore after my baby :( I am, however, “reserving” a few more kilos and adding that to my maintenance weight in the future when I can properly gain muscle mass & maybe get breast augmentation.

Am I being unrealistic about my body image? 😯

Replies

• Cerizez
    Cerizez Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much weight natural boobs or implants add.......I don't think they add that much. I really don't know. Maybe the breast augmentation sites give an indication of the weights involved?

People with the same height can have hugely different skeleton structures, ie, maybe people with barrel-chests wearing a size 40 bra have a heavier weight on the scales than people wearing a size 32-bra? I mean if they have the same level of boobflesh on those rib-cages???

We all know muscle is more dense than fat, it would be cool to know how bone compares also.

• Cerizez
    Options
    boobs are made of fat, so boob size matters less in body weight than bone/skeleton size or muscle mass.
  • Cerizez
    Options
    https://www.healthstatus.com/health_blog/body-fat-calculator-2/frame-size-how-much-does-it-affect-your-weight/

you might have a tiny frame.............I guess your bra size (not the cup part, the under-the-boob- size) would help you determine whether you have a tiny frame? Same with pelvis measurements? If you're wearing a size 38 or 40 bra (regardless of cup a/b/c etc) and can play your ribs like a zylophone, I guess you have a large frame. Same with your pelvis - if you're wearing a large size, but can see and feel the bones, you're large boned, not fat. So I'm guessing you'd weigh more and shouldn't focus on the scales too much.

Reverse that - if you're wearing a size 30 or 32 bra, you're small boned so will weigh less than the person with the size 40 bra in the same height range (factoring in the zylophone ribs).
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    How do you feel?
    If you feel like you have energy, can focus during the day and you are able to do the things you want to do, then don’t worry about a kg or two. Muscle weighs more than fat and ‘fills-in’ your skin more (generally we call this muscle tone). I would not get breast augmentation. Society puts undue pressure on us to reach for perfection. The reality of it is perfection does not exist. I recommend reaching for progress. Progress toward feeling good. Progress toward energy. Progress toward muscle mass increase. Muscle mass is increased with weight training. Fat loss (if you still have some to lose) is done in the kitchen and at the end of your fork.
    Take care,
  • niniundlapin
    Options
    @Cerizez thanks for the info!
    That bra size method makes sense for me (32-34). I guess my family got used to seeing me in certain way (baby fat in high school lol) but now I’m different makes them nervous.

When I started the topic I was wondering if anyone has looked at their weight in the way I look at myself. Guess it’s just me! 😅
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I personally don't base my goal on weight alone. That being said I would be careful of going too low on the BMI scale, you do want to make sure you are healthy in terms of bodyfat levels and hormones. If you have any concerns about that I would speak to your doctor since I don't know what level is healthy for you personally.

I have been as low as 121lbs at 5'7" because I just wasn't happy with my body. Turns out being that low was not good either, in particular for my shape and my poor booty. I gained weight to build muscle over several years and ended up around 132-135lbs I was really happy with the result (my profile photo, before my third baby). If I find I get too low I start to lose my precious curves and glutes, so if I start to get in the 120s and I am not happy I know I have to build muscle.

In the end you have to do what you are comfortable with and what is healthy for you. Getting breast augmentation is a personal decision just make sure you do your research.
  • cayenne_007
    cayenne_007 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with @sardelsa and @weatherking2019 - you can't go by weight alone. I'm 5'8" and when I get below 130 - I wind up looking ill and I don't feel so great either. I'd much prefer to concentrate on shape & how I feel - do I have enough energy to be as active as I'd like? I feel best when my abs are flat and a bit defined - I'm about 7-9 lbs heavier than I'd like at the moment, but I am strong. For now, that's more important. I think so much of what we're surrounded with is unhealthy to our body image - it's tough to weed it all out and figure out what is feasible for our shape/lifestyle/ect.
  • niniundlapin
    Options
    Thank you ladies for your input! I guess I’m at a weird stage: while I do feel pretty good physically and mentally, I started wondering how I would feel if that number on the scale starts to move up drastically again. Right now my bf% is around 20-22% (based on lots of factors 😂) and am able to enjoy all kinds of healthy or unhealthy food without really worrying about becoming out of shape like I used to be.
    Yes I know with the same weight having more muscle mass would make a person look leaner and results less in measurements (or the other way, having more muscle would probably show higher on the scale even when the measurements are the same). It’s definitely tricky to adapt to that change mentally when all I have been doing is focusing on fat loss (not weight loss). The other thing many of you might know is, maintaining muscles is hard for us! It’s not just the right nutrition but also adequate, consistent weight stimulation. Totally a different game compared to fat loss I think...

I’d think my take on the breast part is coming from my frustration towards multiple biopsies and the undesired size change after breastfeeding. At one point my surgeon was even suggesting double mastectomy (that was before I had my daughter), so augmentation wasn’t a random cosmetic thought but somehow a last resort I might be relying on (that my womanhood could at least be restored 😆). I know boobs alone cannot define womanhood, so does any part of our bodies. It’s just sad to look at myself knowing this is the part I can’t change by my hard work (vs booty, waist, or legs).

Anyway. Thanks a lot again cuz I think more after reading your replies and while I’m trying to reply (in multiple attempts 😅). Maybe I’m just thinking too much at the moment with what’s going on out there. Time to get up and start lifting some weights! 😁
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Hubby y me are the 40’s range on age after 4 pregnancies (2 survivors ages 20 y 3yrs old) my boobs hang low sweet chariot y sag. Not a big deal finding all women my age are that way normally my hubby likes them so I’m not doing surgeries learning to love my body for every imperfection by photoshop model standards to normal ones I feel great y sexy. Just takes another mind set. Hot water soak it firms them up y don’t worry about the size.
    Ballerinas to active weight lifting women champions even gymnast have small boobs naturally. My natural boobs are tubular look it up they don’t look like what a natural Brest should but learned later it’s a common condition not a tiny percentage like I grew up thinking. I’m not supposed to be able to breastfeed but after 4 pregnancies I read an article where some with my condition can after the fourth.Don't make a lot so have to supplement but can get 0-5ounces a day out. Was able to do what I always dreamed of Doctor helped y researched y he helped me make it happen. 2weeks was able to feed JR get him over jaundice. My boobs looks like bleep* to me but I feel more like a woman than I ever have (I always felt inadequate because they weren’t looking or working right since childhood ). I finally learned to accept myself it’s a wonderful feeling. Mastectomy makes a woman more if a woman it spells strength everlasting that no one can deny.

Lift weights ,wear a bra that’s full ,y love yourself because in life our own opinion of ourselves is what we are not what we think others are thinking or those negative thoughts we all get in front of a mirror. Our perseption of our bodies is like our 1st makeup mirror that’s lighted y magnified 10x lol all our pores looking like pancakes to us or that camera pic at the wrong moment to lighting we think omg I look like that! Reality is we look normal perfect like when we look at others wish we looked more like them ..yet their looking at us thinking the same.

The natural blonde always wishes her hair was black. The natural black hair wishes she was blonde. In reality our real hairs just perfect fits us.

Reflect before a permanent decision. Our idea of Perfection is an illusion because in truth we’ve been perfect this whole time.

My weight according to Doctors ,magazines, even calculators for perfect weight y BMI is not what looks perfect on me. My actual perfect weight is higher than their numbers. 130lbs range for 5’3 so much that I round up to 5’4 on my DL lol fits me the best . If I go by the others it claims I should be in the 120’s range. I’m 145lbs right now but am happy at this weight too so if I get down to 130 or remain at 145lbs I’m happy with it. Been finding myself through this journey decided health was more important to looks I’m getting way more compliments than when I worried tried to be perfect.