This June I Will....

Options

Replies

• nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    June 7: Should I log everything I eat? I spent hours debating in my mind whether or not to choose this goal today. Yes, the pros won out in the end.

Pros: I've done it before for a month and it was hard, but I did it so I know it's possible. It's a great way to hold myself accountable. It's effective for weight loss. Many people say they logged religiously and the result was losing weight and keeping it off. And there are more reasons to say yes to logging. But...

Con: Deep down I know this goal has every chance of fizzling out in the long haul. I don't have confidence that I can do it and every goal I have this month has to be tiny and easily accomplished. I need to build confidence in myself that I am reliable. If I say I will do this goal, I will do it. I have failed myself too many times.

So saying yes to logging every morsel was a huge decision! I analyzed what made it feel so huge. Such as, I need to grab my ipad and log immediately or I will forget that handful of walnuts that grabbed my attention while walking past the jar. It's not always convenient and sometimes I don't like what I see... too many calories, less than desirable macro balance, etc.

However, I need to do this, so how can I make it doable? I'm going to try this even though I'm less than totally confident that I can keep it up indefinitely. I have decided not to focus on calories or macros, not even to putting it in my daily food log every day. But I will use the voice memo on my phone to record every morsel I eat, add the time, and maybe even how I'm feeling sometimes. Then at the end of the day, IF i choose to, I will transfer it to my MFP food diary. The key here to success is not having so many rules, not making it so overwhelming. I might be able to do this. You guys, this is actually scary!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    nebslp wrote: Β»
    @MadisonMolly2017 what a creative trackerπŸ™‚!

Completely agree! @MadisonMolly2017, it's gorgeous! You are so talented!
  • themedalist
    edited June 2020
    Options
    @texasgardnr, what a wonderful June goal! Going "old school" and reading some Jane Austen books is a fantastic goal for this month!
  • themedalist
    Options
    Today I am adding to my list of very small easy daily habits "take my multivitamin and Vit D". All of my habits this month are things that I do sporadically when I think about them, but now I will do them mindfully in hopes that they become daily habits that I don't have to think about.

I really like your small easy daily improvements goal. @nebslp. Little changes done everyday compound into big impacts!
  • themedalist
    Options
    So day 6 of June had me meditating. I’ve had the Calm app for over a year and my stats say I’ve used it only 33 times. I think it was very inexpensive at first but when it automatically renewed I was pretty shocked at the price. I think it was $70 or something like that😳. So now that meditation is a daily goal, I will be putting it to good use. All other goals are settling in well and I’m finding that often one thing triggers anotherπŸ™‚

The Calm app is expensive but it has changed my life. I do the Daily Calm (almost) every morning and it's a great way to launch the day. And I love the library of Sleep Stories.
  • themedalist
    Options
    @nebslp, I just saw your logging post after I posted about logging. And I hear you about whether you can keep it up every day and if it fits into your small daily improvements plan. For me, logging is essential for both maintenance and for losing weight. But they are very different! I've stayed at basically the same weight for 8 years now. I mostly logged my food intake those 8 years, but wasn't too concerned about being super accurate (no food scales). Just the broad strokes was all it took, about 2-3 minutes a day. Maintenance is pretty forgiving.

But when I moved away from logging completely over the last few months and threw in a pandemic, well, I've gained about 5 pounds. Because I simply will not allow those 5 pounds to spiral to 50 pounds regained, I'm nipping this in the bud.

I lose track of what I've eaten if I don't write it down.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,005 Member
    Options
    My goals for June are going well. I’ve chosen for my month’s theme - Peace. I’ve meditated every day so far, and am finding it very helpful, but I’m still feeling lots of stress, so I definitely need to keep it up.
    My June tracker so far:
    24otjwsk9enq.jpeg
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,133 Member
    Options
    This has turned out to be tracking, rather than a goal...

So although some of them are not going well, my overall diet quality is improving as I’ve cut out crackers, pretzels, salted nuts, and chocolates (other than my regular Scharfenberger 82% which does not β€œcall to me.” I am also increasing protein percentage eaten.

These were all things I did not buy pre-COVID but have groceries delivered, I’d see them In the apps. Self-correcting that now.

BP is Normal, but up from where it was.

So I’ll track these others this month and my goal will be to continue not to consume the 4 foods listed above, beginning today.

June 7 0/4 ❀️
    June 8

As of June 7
    0g3zxwit1g64.jpeg
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 what a creative trackerπŸ™‚!

Completely agree! @MadisonMolly2017, it's gorgeous! You are so talented!

Thank you @nebslp, @77tes (I love your’s!!), and @themedalist ❣️❣️❣️
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    I track & weigh everything because then I can eat more. 4 years ago when I didn’t, I would add in a lot of extra calories so I wouldn’t go over.

Surprisingly, tracking all with NO eating out or take out, is allowing me to eat 2350 a day instead of 2070, which means even with dutiful tracking of all, there were 280 calories per day of extra calories eaten & I’m now burning 40 calories more per day SO eating out made me off by 240 calories per day.

But the 2350 must be tracked carefully & I need to exercise every day, avg 87 minutes.

So tracking helps me figure out a lot of things. If no is up I can look at sodium, for ex.

My mantra is β€œtrack the reality because you can’t fool your body!”
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    First week was good. The weekend not so good. Need to actually start making plans for the weekends because boredom is a big trigger. Finished a course on Insight Timer called Anxiety Tool kit and it was amazing.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    I can't believe it is already June! I have been implementing small changes during May and I'm not sure which one to use as my goal this month, so I'm going to have 2 goals for June that can be done at the same time.

You all have some really great goals! I do need to find something for my emotions and anxiety also, so I want to see what the June Joy thread is about! I love the different trackers you all have! I also love the idea of reading an actual page-turning book. I started one the other evening because I'm trying to stay away from social media and it's too tempting at night to look at Facebook or the news when I read off my iPad Kindle app. I realized that I don't have very many actual BOOKS in my house anymore which made me really feel sad. So, I grabbed one that I did have and have not read yet ("Eat, Pray, Love") and started reading that before bed. I plan to begin buying more books again also. It's sad to me that I have actually gotten rid of so many of them and didn't even realize it until now...6 years after we moved here.

On to my goal...

In June, I will pre-plan what I plan to eat for the day and pre-journal it on paper or in MFP. I will also make a "1% change" each day by asking myself "What small change can I make today?".
    The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: Write down in my daily journal what I plan to eat for both meals and snacks. Add a small change I can make, i.e. no sour cream on baked potato, walnuts instead of croutons on salad, Stevia & Almond milk vs creamer in coffee, park further away from store, ride bicycle to library instead of drive...
    The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit: When I pour my first cup of coffee, I will sit down with my journal.
    How often will you do your new habit: Daily. Either evening before or that morning.
    What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit?: Tell myself "YES!" with a fist pump in the air!
    What does success look like to you at the end of June? Planning and logging will be a habit and part of my daily morning routine that I don't have to think about. I will have adapted many new small changes that will add up to good rewards! If I am able to reach my mini goal of <175 lbs OR be able to wear my wedding ring again for the first time in 8 years, I will book myself a massage. :smile:

Peace and joy.... :flowerforyou:
  • nebslp
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement I needed to continue logging, even though it's informal right now on a voice memo. I spent some time transferring the memos onto mfp the last 3 days today. It's no wonder I gained 5 pounds since April if that's been my pattern of eating!:( Baby steps. No judgement, just increased awareness.

Yesterday's goal was centered around posture. My first plan was to use my posture app everyday. It's a 5 minute "makeover" and I thought that would be easy to do. However, I thought about my posture throughout the day but didn't do the app until almost bedtime so I figured that's not the most effective way of improving my posture every day. Now I am standing with shoulders and tummy in a better place whenever I think about it through out the day so still a posture goal, just don't feel obligated to do the app every day.

A thunderstorm has just moved into the area so I'm going to log off before we lose power and this message. Hope you're all doing well!
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    I'm reading Sense and Sensibility because it is Jane Austen's first published work.

read: πŸ“–, did not read πŸ“˜.

June 5 πŸ“– (introduction)
    June 6 πŸ“–
    June 7 πŸ“–
    June 8 πŸ“–
    June 9 πŸ“–

I am really enjoying reading the annotated edition I wrote about in my first post. It is giving me a lot of insight into the customs, vocabulary and especially how the popular prevailing patterns of thought influenced behaviors of that time period. The introduction was also so worth reading for a lot of extra understanding.

I decided that after reading the paper book that I was free to re-read the chapter on my old, I repeat very old, second generation Kindle that was passed down to me many years ago, which is practically like reading a paper book because of the size and no light, and absolutely no temptation to indulge in screen time. The font is larger which makes it more comfortable. And even though it is big for a Kindle it is so much lighter than this edition of my book, and easier on my eyes.

I really like my newer Kindle and the app on my devises, but I certainly enjoy this oldie one for reading older/ classic books especially.

Everyone is writing so many very insightful and inspiring posts, as well as creating some super cool habit charts! Thank you for sharing.

🀠🌺
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    I get a bunch of free books for my Kindle on Book Bub. Started reading before bed instead of being on my phone and it has been great and it helps with my sleep. I am so happy. I am currently reading series of books by author Sara Blaedel. I actually found a book at the dollar store and got hooked.

• texasgardnr
    Options
    @prgirl39mfp, I've also used Book Bub before. Glad that you are finding books to read before bedtime instead of being on the phone. And that is helping you with your 😴! Well done!!

I'm reading Sense and Sensibility because it is Jane Austen's first published work.

June 6 πŸ“–
    June 7 πŸ“–
    June 8 πŸ“–
    June 9 πŸ“–
    June 10 πŸ“–
    June 11 πŸ“–

🀠🌺
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    I'm going to read a paper copy πŸ“– of a classic novel. This is just for fun reading! I am currently reading Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen πŸ“š .

June 6 πŸ“–
    June 7 πŸ“–
    June 8 πŸ“–
    June 9 πŸ“–
    June 10 πŸ“–
    June 11 πŸ“–
    June 12 πŸ“–
    June 13 πŸ“–
    June 14 πŸ“–

Happy Sunday y'all

🀠🌺
  • nebslp
    Options
    @texasgardnr πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ» 10 claps for daily reading!!!
  • themedalist
    edited June 2020
    Options
    @texasgardnr πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ» 10 claps for daily reading!!!

What she said! 10 more claps for the daily reading!

I really like how each of us can make our monthly habit focus our own. Reading an actual book is a fantastic thing to focus on. It connects us with our past. That’s how we grew up reading and that’s how we’ve been reading until, what, maybe 10 years ago?

I remember reading under the covers with a flashlight. Funny, mom never seemed to put an end to that.

Great choice of posture as a focus this month, @nebslp.