WAISTAWAYS Team Chat - July 2020

Options

Replies

• micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Options
    Welcome Wednesday! This morning has been busy but no real exercise. I’m hoping to take a walk later if it’s not too hot and Pilates first thing when the little one naps.

I have the most delicious watermelon right now. I am enjoying it so much. Nothing better when you get a tasty, crisp one. 🍉

My steps yesterday were really good. Closed out my log under calories and only ate a few of my exercise calories. Working toward another good day.

@Gidgitgoescrazy So happy to hear you plan to quit smoking for good. That’s the best end of decade gift you could give yourself.

@Terytha Glad you have been able to eat fruit and feel good again. Smart of you to get those calories up a little too.

@conleywoods You trip to the lake sounds like a great time. You’re husband is quite the trickster. 🤣

@evangsimmons170 Happy to hear your knee is feeling better and you can’t get back to walking.

@CanadianGiraffe How nice that you got out to play a round of golf. Congratulations on a great game. ⛳️

@jugar Your son is braver than me. I don’t think I will really eat those ants. I used to take my first graders to an insect museum and the offered them a chance to eat mealworms or crickets. I was always amazed at how many of those littles were game for eating bugs 🐛 Glad exercise is giving your butt some relief. Good news on multiple levels.

Hope you are all having a great day. I’ll check in later.

• offitgoes
    offitgoes Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    PW:179.8
    CW: 180
    Tomatoes, Zucchini, and cucumbers in abundance in the garden. The last few days been snacking on raw vegetables. Next week should see the results on the scale.
  • micki48
    Options
    is there a way to access the May spreadsheet?? I forgot to see what my loss for the month was.

Not sure if you ever got an answer. I'm not seeing a link to access the May spreadsheet from our main page, but I can access it. Here's what I found:

You started at 161.8 and ended at 163.
  • deniners2
    deniners2 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    @gidgetgoescrazy You've been describing my weather. I'm in the SW US.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,080 Member
    Options
    Wow - most of the way through Wednesday already. I have been harvesting and freezing kale by the boatload, and it feels good to sit down for a minute. I find kale is the vegetable that does best in the freezer - it does not get mushy or watery, and I do eat a lot of the stuff. Cherry tomatoes are starting and that is my fave candy. Really. I could eat hundreds of them. Luckily they are too expensive and plastic-intensive in the store, and only ripen gradually in the garden, so I can't ever go too crazy. And my husband does not like them. They are MINE, ALL MINE!! (cue maniacal laughter...)

OK, I'll calm down now. I'm trying to think up a good question for us all to explore this week. I really enjoyed the answers to the "key word or phrase" question. Right now, I think we could all be inspired by the example of @Gidgitgoescrazy quitting smoking. Again. This takes a lot of courage - real bravery. It is hard, especially when it takes more than one try, which I think it always does. I do not know anyone who quit smoking on their first try.

So here is a question (with different flavours) - What brave thing have you done this month? What brave thing do you need to do soon? Or if you want to look at it from the other side, what do you fear, and how are you going to push through that fear to reach a goal that is important to you? Of course, this should be related to our weight and fitness journey, but sometimes there are other areas you might want to look at and get some help. Please only share what you feel comfortable with, and your teammates will help you come up with a plan!
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I started writing a long post this morning, turned my phone when the baby climbed on me and it all went away!

Tues Steps- 10,623
    Tues Workout- The Prep 35 min moderate-intense
    Food - Awesome!!!

I spent the morning getting my hair done. I still need to get in a workout before I take my daughter to cheer.
  • jugar
    Options
    I keep forgetting to ask! @micki48 - do you want to add the step amounts for your Pilates sessions? You can get 100 steps per minute!
  • micki48
    edited July 2020
    Options
    deniners2 wrote: »
    @gidgetgoescrazy You've been describing my weather. I'm in the SW US.

Same here. Hot as bejeebies. 🔥
    jugar wrote: »
    I keep forgetting to ask! @micki48 - do you want to add the step amounts for your Pilates sessions? You can get 100 steps per minute!

Sure. That seems like a lot of steps per minute though.

@matthewsfive I think you are very brave for going out of your comfort zone to wear color. Good for you and good start. Just realize you have already handled the hardest day. Now, they’ve seen you in your blue bathing suit. It won’t be a big deal next time. I only see your profile photo but I think you are a beautiful woman. I know that doesn’t help you see yourself that way, but I wanted to tell you what someone else sees. I think your husband has given you good advice. Getting some counseling to help you work through these feelings is a great idea. Good luck. And I think you are BRAVE for sharing first.

I am over my calories today, but still down from my calories in the past month. (I lowered my daily amount). I still feel like my choices were healthy...well, all but one. Did 21 minutes of Pilates then some fun kid yoga.
  • eggfreak
    eggfreak Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Brave for me is wearing color facing a mirror and getting attention. ......... I am dreading that dance but will be there for my Son. I will dance with him but I am hoping that I can get through it.
    I think your post really demonstrates that none of us know what someone else is going through...many people might jump to other conclusions for why someone does something a certain way when the real reasons are very different. I think your determination will see you through that dance :)

I don't feel particularly brave nor fearful but I am occasionally very conscious of not wanting to get an injury and become debilitated and having that affect my health, wellbeing and fitness. @jugar like your glute injury, who could imagine it could last this long or be such an intrusion on your daily life!? Even with the Covid-19, I'm less afraid of dying from it than getting a long term lung or neurological issue that would affect my gardening, walking, everything. I don't dwell on this 'fear' but I am sometimes aware of it and am grateful everyday for good health. I should try to consciously think of this when I'm craving something - like @jugar said, sit down at a table and try to think about the why and the how to overcome...or at least just indulge without having to eat the whole container of Ben & Jerry's cherry garcia.
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    So I don't consider quitting smoking as brave, but okay I will take it...

My brave this month, has nothing to do with weight or smoking it has to do with letting go of my kids... My daughter got a notice her CC was sent to collections, well ya know what it's not my issue, I can't make her be a responsible person, and I can't continue to step in and fix things for her anymore.. So I sent her the notice, and told her if she needed advice she knew what to do... Then I ordered her a book called " Broke Millennial, how to get your financial life together).... Then my youngest son finally got my car, and he never had alot of practice driving he got his license 2 months before going into the military, and now it's a year later, and now he is 2000 miles away and I can't watch over him, and make sure he is being safe, so I have to just let that go and trust I taught him well from the get go.. So my brave is to not fix everything and to not wrap my kids in bubble wrap anymore, it's time they sink or swim on their own...

Yesterday was good... I did some measurements and compared them to ones I took in 2015 - they are less, but not as much as I thought they were.. so that was a kick in the pants... I am excited for the weekend, I am planning to do alot of prepping for next week, and work on my bday goal !

• KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Wed Steps- 6,436
    Exercise-nada
    Food- I did not follow my plan. I thought it would be really high in carbs, but I was actually right on target.

I got my hair done yesterday and then spent the afternoon frozen. I needed to fold laundry and workout, but I did nothing. I know if I just worked out, I would feel less anxious.
  • jugar
    Options
    Boring stuff first -

Late weigh-ins!
    @graceojo999
    @alexsandramorff
    @CM_73(unless you want to carry over from what you reported for last week?)

Due today:
    @eggfreak
    @conleywoods
  • CanadianGiraffe
    CanadianGiraffe Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    This showed up in my inbox this morning from the Mayo Clinic. It was very timely for me so I thought it might be of interest to some of you as well. Nothing we haven't hear before but a good reminder. (I have made a couple of small edits to format it better for here.)

Weight-loss plateau: Now what?

Haven't seen any progress lately? Has the same number on the scale been popping up week after week? That's common. Being stuck at a weight-loss plateau eventually happens to most people trying to lose weight, despite continuing with the same exercise routine and healthy-eating habits. Don't worry. Get moving in the right direction again with these tips:

Reassess your habits. Look back at your food and activity records. Make sure you haven't loosened the rules, letting yourself get by with larger portions or less exercise.
    Cut more calories. Reduce your daily calorie intake by 200 calories — provided this doesn't put you below 1,200 calories. Fewer than 1,200 calories a day may not be enough to keep you from feeling hungry all the time, which increases your risk of overeating. In addition, this reduced calorie intake should be sustainable. If not, you'll regain the weight you've lost and more.
    Rev up your workout. Increase the amount of time you exercise by an additional 15 to 30 minutes. You might also try increasing the intensity of your exercise if you feel that's possible. Additional exercise will cause you to burn more calories. Consider adding resistance or muscle-building exercises. Increasing your muscle mass will help you burn more calories.
    Pack more activity into your day. Think outside the gym. Increase your general physical activity throughout the day by walking more and using your car less, or try doing more yard work or vigorous spring cleaning.

Focus on your weight-loss victories, and recognize that plateaus are just part of the journey. Continue your healthy eating and exercise habits, knowing that will help you sustain the success you've had.
  • jugar
    Options
    The bravery question is sure bringing out some contemplation and, well, bravery.

@matthewsfive - your blue moment is such a point of intersections and thinking. You broke out of your usual pattern, broke other peoples' expectations, and now you're in a world that includes colours. As Michele said, that was the hardest one, and after that colour will be less a surprise, and even though you'll still get some remarks about it, I'll bet your friends are supporting you in that change. I remember wearing a skirt for the first time in forever one day, and a colleague said that it showed my other side, whatever that meant. For her, my definition included "someone who never wears a skirt". I felt all kinds of weird about it, but then I got kind of angry that she thought I was a person who only had one side (or even only two), or that she knew all about me. There are so many sides of us that we choose not to show to everyone, and when we let one loose, it can be a bit wild for a while. I also had to pretend to be someone else when I was in public for a long time in early adulthood, somehow protecting the "real" me. It was as much a performance as what I did on stage as a musician, or what I did in front of a class teaching at university. One of the best things about getting older is I don't give a shred what people think (within reason!). It's a heck of a lot more fun, but the pretending helped along the way. I think that you will find your path to letting yourself have more sides and not sweating too much over the appearance part. And please keep wearing that blue bathing suit from time to time! You'll also find the courage to play the awesome mother of the groom role, in a beautiful dress, dancing all the love you have for that young man. :heart:

@eggfreak - Sylvia, you are so kind, and your reminders about what we don't know are beautiful right now. They go far wider than this little group - thanks! The fear of incapacity, or reduced capacity, is a tough one. My niece ( @evelynladams527 's younger daughter) just started working as an aide to a severely physically disabled woman around her own age. When she told me about the job, she spoke about how she will be learning to face that fear, and learn firsthand how a person can remain a bright, vital presence in spite of severely limited physical capacity. We could all use a bit of that. I think it is one of the reasons we are all here, too, in a small way. We do not want to reduce our own capacities through overeating, diabetes, severe strain on our organs and joints, underuse of our wonderful muscles, etc. We are keeping ourselves on as good a path as we are able. Yes!

@Gidgitgoescrazy you are in the conversation I have been having with my best friend, and in the place where all parents struggle, I think. We cannot be the "magic hands" for them, but we need to be the safety net. Tough line to draw! You have articulated it so well - and you are helping them be stronger more wonderful adults by not doing it for them or telling them what to do. They'll figure it out - hopefully without too many "learning experiences" along the way!

So my lovely friends, enjoy the day! Keep on keeping on, and drop by when you can. I'm off to pick more currants. And kale, and my first eggplants!!
  • Stefbomb2020
    Stefbomb2020 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone..... im here once again to find some answers....im successfully going on with my keto... i am surely gonna see a nice positive number on my scale this weekend....
    N i have my birthday coming up on 29th... can anyone suggest me a cheat diet while on keto where i dont deviate too much from my keto... PLZ HELP...KETO CHEAT
  • jugar
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Hello everyone..... im here once again to find some answers....im successfully going on with my keto... i am surely gonna see a nice positive number on my scale this weekend....
    N i have my birthday coming up on 29th... can anyone suggest me a cheat diet while on keto where i dont deviate too much from my keto... PLZ HELP...KETO CHEAT

I'm not too familiar with all the rules and regs of keto - but if you can have legumes, chickpea flour (besam) makes amazing flatbreads (just the flour with water as a batter, in a flat pan with a dash of oil), fritters (with veg) or even with fruits for something more sweet without sugar (berries). You can use chickpea flour to make something like cake that will have no grains in it too. Just search chickpea flour cake or flourless cake. I love an amazing orange cake with almond flour - it has sugar, but not too much, and absolutely no grain. Lots of eggs. Check it out - https://www.canadianliving.com/food/baking-and-desserts/recipe/orange-almond-flourless-snacking-cake I think all the nutritional info is there so you can see if it fits. Good luck! And well done for planning ahead :smiley:

Oh. It is not a cheat - it is a celebration!
  • eggfreak
    eggfreak Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    @jugar
    PW 150.5
    CW 150.5
    l'm holding steady too. After the strange big drop the week before this balances things out nicer.
  • jugar
    Options
This discussion has been closed.