GOAL ZONE Maintenance chat

Options
jugar
jugar Posts: 10,037 Member
edited August 2020 in Social Groups
You have arrived at your goal weight! Welcome to the Goal Zone.

You have done a great job, and lost the weight. Now you want to stay there and never, never go back! The statistics are not good - this group is here for everyone to learn how to maintain the loss and stay there for the rest of your life.

Everyone who is at or near maintenance is welcome to post here. Everyone who is looking forward to joining us some day is welcome to post here. Come for information, inspiration, support, and anything else that will help all of us stay here at this weight where we want to be.

First post - introduce yourself! Tell how much you lost, how long you have been at your goal weight, and what helped you get this far. Then let the questions and sharing begin!

Replies

• jugar
    Options
    Wow. Thanks @raleighgirl09 - that is some herstory. I love that you kept coming back to it and learning more every time. You are NOT going back. Feel those bones!
  • raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Hey - here are some questions I had in mind to ask.

How many significant weight loss events (lost what was a 'major' amount in your mind) did you have where you then regained the weight?

Any trends you identified and have done differently now, in your journey?

Do you feel/think/believe that you have it nailed this time? And - do you have a back pocket plan now for recognizing the points of slipping you have had in the past?

I will answer these as a Maintenance in Training (Hi, I'm Maria and I'm a MiT) :p but I want to see your responses, first.

TIA, all!!! B)B)B)
  • jugar
    Options
    Great questions!
    I did not have too many significant losses that I regained - it was more a million failed attempts to make much progress, and over the years the total just getting bigger gradually. I tried the Herbalife thing and discovered that I liked not having to think much about what to eat, and that once I had the prescribed stuff I was done for the day. But then I discovered that I need to EAT my food, not drink it, and the rebound from that one was pretty bad.

The best experiment was the Whole 30. It is certainly not a diet I could sustain, nor is it meant to be. It is kind of like an elimination diet that seriously limits the kinds of foods you eat for 30 days, and then you add things back in one at a time to see how your body reacts. This was a turning point for me. I learned a lot - I don't react well to grains (this was a total surprise), they make my pulse speed up significantly and I feel weird. They are also hard to control. Legumes are my best pals. Milk is not my friend except when transformed into yogurt, and, in small amounts, cheese. Meat and eggs are things I am happy to ignore. Fish is good though. So through this I learned to be more sensitive to the effects of foods, and to really enjoy the combinations and variety of centering my food around vegetables, legumes, fruits, nuts, seeds, and fish. Yogurt as a vehicle. In any case, it was a great way to get strong feedback on what worked for me and what did not. I was never happier for a 30 day period to end (all that protein! ackkk), and I think I have been able to make better choices ever since.

I think I have the maintenance thing down, most the time. Yes, there is still the occasional day of cookies or cheese breadsticks. But they pass fast and not especially joyfully. Today I was extra super hungry, and instead of the grain-based foods I tend to crave when I'm super hungry, I had some red lentil pasta in my usual pile of veggies and stuff for dinner. I feel wonderfully full, but do not have the same bad effects that grain pasta (even if gluten free) gives. Then of course, there is my homemade sorbet. Fruit was never so wonderful - and I don't ever crave ice cream any more!
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    The best experiment was the Whole 30.

I've been tempted to try Whole 30 or another elimination diet for this reason, to work out what my body reacts to. But the combination of "Am I motivated enough to do this strict elimination?" and there being foods in it I already know cause weight gain for me so I don't want to reintroduce them, and kind of scared of finding out that I shouldn't eat something that is a staple in my current diet, and not sure whether Whole 30 is as legit as another elimination protocol or which one to do... so far in the 'maybe one day' list :smile:
  • jugar
    Options
    Sorry to have been so slow to respond to these really interesting posts - things got really busy, but I have been thinking about all this information for days!

It is amazing how many "phases" or ways of thinking we all go through. I had a lot of bouncing around too - from macrobiotic to herbalife (oh dear, I am NOT a meal replacement person), to fasting (seriously bad reaction to that), to low carb (also did not work well), until I slowly figured out what DID work. I need lots of fibre, plenty of volume of food, not much animal food, and while not low carb, certainly low grain works well for me. I probably could have handled some form of intermittent fasting when I was at my heaviest, but never once I got into lower weights. I naturally stick with at 12/12 anyhow, but anything beyond that is impossible. If I don't wake up really hungry, I know I have eaten too much the day before!

Hunger has been a big help, but it is a tricky one. I need to eat in a way that I get truly hungry. When I eat grains (especially flours) or fatty foods, my stomach feels like lead, and I don't get hungry. But I also feel like eating more, even though I am not hungry. It really helps to eat in a way that I get hungry within 3-4 hours.

As to trying an elimination type thing @Luciicul , I doubt that you would find you "shouldn't" eat something that is a staple, because the reason you would decide it was not a good choice for you would be due to a bad reaction. I could NEVER eat a protocol like whole 30 for any longer that that 30 days (and I'll never do it again!) because it did include things I normally don't eat, but I learned a lot from it and was glad to evaluate how well I handled different food types. I certainly have not eliminated things 100%, but the balance of the kinds of foods I eat has changed a lot.

Aging is the interesting side of this journey now. I'm 66, and very glad to have a good handle on how important eating and exercise are for the way I feel, what I can do, and how to learn from the body as it changes. So far so good!
  • jugar
    Options
    I have expanded the time period on this chat - rather than just July 2020, let's let it run a while. It is good to go back and read everyone's stories!
  • debbiewsharpe
    debbiewsharpe Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I am from eastern NC so I will start with Hey y'all, Bless your hearts! Such interesting reading this morning but also somewhat overwhelming. I am new to F2F and am trying to find my way around. It is so interesting to hear from folks all over the world and I see that @raleighgirl09 doesn't live too far from me. I joined MFP in 2013 at my all time high of 173 pounds. By 2015 I was down to 126. I am 68 years old, 5'8" and bounce around between 125-130. I find maintenance harder than dieting but I can share a few things I have found helpful over these past 7 years:
    1. I add my yearly weight to my profile page which helps me to look at the big picture.
    2. I have 127 as my "magic number" When I see that on the scale I go back into diet mode.
    3. I log my food and water every day!
    4. I do my best to get 10,000+ steps a day. Absolutely love my fitbit.
    5. I am a true southern girl and love sweets! I fit them in to my plan. I eat a smaller amount of something I like but NEVER feel deprived. For me, that leads to a binge! lifestyle change not a diet.
    6. I keep dark chocolate at the house at all times. I buy the mini or snack size and can now STOP with just one little treat! My latest favorite is milky way midnight.
    7. I don't snack much, between meals. I love baby bell cheese as a snack and at my age I need the calcium.
    8. When you feel like you need to eat, drink water first!!! This will help you avoid extra calories and get your water total for the day.
    8. I don't want to sound "preachy" but if you are a believer, ask for help as you would for any other problem in your life.
    8. MY BIGGEST HINT:IF HUNGER IS NOT THE PROBLEM THEN EATING IN NOT THE SOLUTION.

I hope that something on this list will be helpful to someone here. As I said, I have only been a member for 2 days, done a heck of a lot of reading and so far I think this is the right place for me. I just hope to get acclimated. Thanks for this GOAL ZONE!
  • jugar
    Options
    Thank you @debbiewsharpe ! I love your ideas - we are close in age (I'm 66), 5'1", hanging around 114-115. My magic number now is 117 - and I'm perilously close to it right now! I can't wait to welcome you to this group once you get back to your goal zone. Then I hope you stick around for a while!
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Howdy! Austin here.
    I am so, so just catching up. This is rich and amazing and huge, so much to catch up on.
    Just a robust reply to Maria ( @raleighgirl09 )'s questions could take a bit! (I wish I were a faster writer!)

@jugar and @Luciicul
    I am someone who, when I finally did an elimination diet (because I was breastfeeding and my baby was miserable), and found that a staple food was a problem. I had even had a get-out-the-Benadryl reaction at one point, and only figured it out when doing that 3 week elimination. I added back that favorite, staple food, and suddenly the baby was miserable again, and suddenly I had itchy hands again.

All this to say, for some of us, editing the list of foods we eat is super helpful. I totally get that it is not needed for many, but I profoundly changed my everyday life by experimenting, tracking and analyzing, to figure out things that were not working.

So that self experimentation you talk about @Luciicul -- key for me, too!
  • Emmajhare
    Emmajhare Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm from Team Trimstones and very pleased to have reached my maintenance weight of 63 kg (139 lb) yesterday. 🥳

This time a year ago I was around 90 kg (200 lb) but too embarrassed to step on a scale to find out for sure. I joined F2F on 1st January and it has been great. So lovely to share stories and ideas with people in the same boat.

As already shared with my fellow Trimstones, this is not my first weight loss endeavour. I'm a yo-yoer and am good at dieting but better at piling it all on again, plus some extra!

That's why I'm so chuffed this group exists as I really feel it will help me maintain this time.

@debbiewsharpe I love the idea of a magic number. I'm setting mine at 65 kg.
  • jugar
    Options
    Welcome @Emmajhare !!!!

This is kind of a slo-mo chat compared with the regular team chats, but that makes it possible to read through more than once, think about things, ask questions, and get off the yo-yo. We dislike yo-yos. Passionately!

I'm just about to complete 8 years of maintenance - first hit my goal weight in September 2012. I maintain a bit lower now than when I first got there, but it feels pretty normal now. It is still easy to slip away from the habits that make it stay that way, though - so I am also glad to have this group!
  • raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    @jugar thanks for leaving this whole thing here - I have read these responses and now coming back for a second round. =>

Well - life has been so very busy of late, not a lot of posting from me, anywhere. But a few thoughts to share and then I need to hop on later and check in with my Slimpossibles crowd! =>

I love everyone's contribution! I love that there is a wide variety of people....all on the same path. And it has so many branches! I also have done a lot of different things to lose until I settled into what works for me. In fact - this is my secret hack that I share with people and it goes like this:

Everything works for someone and nothing works for everyone. The most important part of the puzzle is to keep doing....something. If what you're doing is working, keep doing it. If/when it stops working, move on to something else. If you keep moving on to something else (instead of throwing up your hands in despair and diving into ice cream), you'll eventually figure out what works. AND. It won't look exactly the same as anyone else's plan, it will be tailor made to fit you.

I made it to a major goal, 170 lbs, by my birthday on 11Aug2020. 57, in a size 10, 170 pounds - I worked really hard to get here, I seriously pushed for several months. I immediately set another goal of 10 more pounds to be at my true maintenance and set a range of 158-165. Now mind you - this is all conjecture. I don't know if it's what's best, it's just what I proclaimed. In the couple of weeks since then, I have not been really pushing and not really eating a ton. I think I've been more eating in a maintenance range, I guess, and my weight is sticking within about a pound a half in either direction. So, I wonder if I'm floundering but I feel like I'm not - I am, and I can see this, sorta in a not-trusting phase. And, I don't know if I need/want to lose 10 more pounds.....maybe I was doing it because it's what I know how to do. So - I think I don't really have well-formed thoughts around this idea/thought but I'm just laying it out there. Maybe someone from long term maintenance has some wise words or feedback. I guess it doesn't matter - maybe I just needed to say it out loud to me. But I'd love to hear from anyone who has wise words. =>

@debbiewsharpeI love the list - and #10 is pure gold and so true. If we get that much, we've almost got it licked!
    @Emmajhare congrats on hitting your goal!!! WOW for you!!
    Interesting that so many folks here also tried the elimination diets - this would throw me into a tailspin of feeling depriced. Yeah - I know this from low carb dieting.... => Best for me to eat what I want and adjust along the way!
  • debbiewsharpe
    Options
    raleighgirl09
    Good to see someone back at this page, I have been checking but not a lot of activity recently, must the the summer month and school starting back. I read your blog this morning and commented there. It is GOOD that you are reflecting. I have gained a little this week but I have overindulged on the sweets. My husband even said, please don't bake anything today. He had gained also. I will cut back and get back to my "magic number." Hang in there, it appears that you are doing great!!!!
    Best advice as I have said before: when I am headed toward food of any kind I have to stop and ask myself "are you really hungry" that helps me. Another thing I try to do is to sip all day long. I start with my morning coffee then switch to about 1/2 cup of Trop 50 with calcium OJ mixed with ice and a lot of water in my big stainless Yetti. (best present I have received lately) It will have ice at the end of the day. At lunch I add tea to the concoction and continue sipping the rest of the day. It seems to keep me from reaching for a snack. If I do have an afternoon snack it is usually fruit or cheese. I am trying to add calcium where I can, not a milk drinker.
    Another piece of advice, don't deny yourself it will only make you crave it more. I have definitely learned the value of MODERATION. Good luck!
  • debbiewsharpe
    Options
    @AustinRuadhain
    sounds like the elimination diet works for you, so far I don't know of any foods that bother me. My sister this for migraine triggers, sure was helpful.

@Emmajhare
    I am also happy to have found this group. Many diet groups but when you get to maintenance you still need support. I hope my magic number idea works for you.

@jugar
    Congrats on maintaining since 2012. I have been at it since 2013 and doing pretty good. I do appreciate a site for maintaining. I hope that this stays here for us.