GOAL ZONE Maintenance chat

Options

Replies

• IDebraK
    IDebraK Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I just need a core! LOL I work out with my sister-in-law 5 days a week. She laughs when we do ab day. I tell her I only have 1.

I've never owned horses. On my accidental farm, cows and horses are two things that haven't crossed my path yet. I do love spending time with my sister-in-law's horses though. They aren't ridable, or at least, they haven't been ridden in so long that they have lost all manners.

I have a few things this summer that I want to do and/or try. Horseback riding is one of them. A nice pace on a trail ride is right up my alley.

I also want to try paddle boarding and kayaking. I feel like you'd need a great core with the paddle boarding.

I have a lot of 5Ks under me, but after the knee injury, I haven't run in about 3 years. We do the C25K at the gym. Once complete, I plan to find an actual 5K to run. I won't be running for speed, just distance to actually finish one.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,080 Member
    Options
    IDebraK wrote: »
    I just need a core! LOL I work out with my sister-in-law 5 days a week. She laughs when we do ab day. I tell her I only have 1.

I've never owned horses. On my accidental farm, cows and horses are two things that haven't crossed my path yet. I do love spending time with my sister-in-law's horses though. They aren't ridable, or at least, they haven't been ridden in so long that they have lost all manners.

I have a few things this summer that I want to do and/or try. Horseback riding is one of them. A nice pace on a trail ride is right up my alley.

I also want to try paddle boarding and kayaking. I feel like you'd need a great core with the paddle boarding.

I have a lot of 5Ks under me, but after the knee injury, I haven't run in about 3 years. We do the C25K at the gym. Once complete, I plan to find an actual 5K to run. I won't be running for speed, just distance to actually finish one.

Pilates has been my fave core-building "thing". I follow The Balanced Life with Robin Long - she has lots of free stuff on YouTube and all, but I joined her program and do one of her short but effective workouts just about every day. They work!
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Hi, I’m sort of transitioning. My goal was below 135 (5’7”) but like hanging out between 135-140 lbs. Funny, I’m also named Deb. 58 years old, divorced, no children, no more pets currently. I always had a horse from age 14 to 42. Have ridden western, jumped and 1st level dressage. Was one of the original Iowa State University Equestrian team members. That was culture shock since the horses were basically jumpers with western saddles on them. Have also had cats and Great Danes.
    For hobbies, I mainly read. Love learning new things and try to craft or play guitar. My main form of exercise is resistance training(5x/wk) and walking. I exercise at my city’s free recreation center. It’s 15 below zero and icy and snow covered outside(Iowa) so all exercise is inside until after the spring mud dries up. Will start walking outside then. We have a glow in the dark trail that I want to try this summer.
    @IDebraK your hobby farm sounds awesome and working at Tractor Supply would be way too much temptation! Have you considered doing virtual runs? There are quite a few on social media and you can get shirts or pins for completing them. You join their facebook group and turn in your steps over your chosen time period.
    @jugar Are you an Appaloosa fan? My best friend has always loved them and used to own one until they moved to Florida.
  • jugar
    Options
    Welcome @Beautyofdreams ! I love that there are a few horse people in here - even if we are not necessarily active riders at this time. I am certainly an Appaloosa fan - and came late to that. I had a great cross country horse (Appendix - thoroughbred/quarter horse cross) who was my favourite until I met the Appys. They are wonderful.

Be sure to ask your team captain to put you on the "goal zone" part of the team. Then you define your range and try to stay in it. The nice thing about weighing in on that part of the team is that your little fluctuations don't count against the team, and we tend to stay right around the same weight so the competition part of the team is no longer very relevant. If you go above the top weight in your range, you are automatically put back on the regular team until you go back into your zone. If you go below, you can change your zone or get to eat more! You still weigh in every week, though, and drop in here from time to time if you have any ideas, questions, or issues about maintenance to discuss. Enjoy!
  • IDebraK
    Options
    @Beautyofdreams , I am currently doing a virtual run that lasts all year. I committed to 2,022 miles in the year. It's a Pluto "race". Not really a race, just a commitment.

The temptation is certainly there at Tractor Supply. LOL
    I love and hate chick days.
  • jugar
    Options
    We have a couple new people joining us in the goal zone!

Sam - long-time member of Team WaistAways @happimess01 is maintaining at least for now - maybe going to revise down for those last few "vanity pounds" as he calls them :wink: He is a powerhouse. Down 190.5 from his highest weight, now rocking 171 pounds. Astounding, disciplined, and an inspiration to the team for sure.

@micaroo4 just joined Fat 2 Fit to start in March. She has been maintaining already for about 3 years, but I don't know much else yet. Step on in and introduce yourself - we love all the stories.
  • micaroo4
    micaroo4 Posts: 2,972 Member
    Options
    Hello all you Goal Getters!

I'm excited to join the team and meet some new friends. A little bit about me. My top weight was 220 in 2001 when I finally decided to treat my health with the same determination as I treated my job. So back in 2001, I joined eDiets, with great success. It took me about a year to get to my goal weight of 130. eDiets faded away and I transitioned to SparkPeople. Then in August 2021 the sun set on SparkPeople, and I checked out a few other sites and programs, and ended up here.
    Since first reaching my goal weight, I've bounced up and down a bit, but never back to my top weight. I've been maintaining within my range (127-133) for almost 3 years now. For me the key to maintenance is being vigilant about planning my meals and about weighing myself daily. I treat Wednesday as my "official" weigh-in day, but I check that scale every morning to spot trends.
    I'm a bookkeeper at a plastics factory, where I work using a stand-up desk. I walk on my lunch hour every day. My walking goal for the year is to "walk the year", 2022 miles in 2022. I try to hit about 6 miles a day, to cover for the days that I miss because of bad weather. I also ride a bicycle in the summer, and will commute to/from work on the bike which is about 12 miles round trip. Back when I started on my health journey in 2001, I didn't exercise at all. Now I rarely do less than 60 minutes, and usually more like 2 hours.
    I'm 65 years old, and not ready to retire yet. I live in New Hampshire and share my house with a couple of cats.
    I fell on the ice on January 7th and broke my wrist. I'm out of the cast now and doing physical therapy. Hoping to be able to start using weights again and do so strength training, maybe in another week.
  • jugar
    Options
    Welcome @micaroo4 - we are kind of neighbours - I'm just north of you in Québec. I grew up in north central Massachusetts (Lunenburg) but left the US in 1977, ended up here in 1979. I'm 68 and also love staying fit and active as much as possible - it feels great. Sorry you broke your wrist, though. You'll be back to the weights soon - but take it slow!
  • happimess01
    happimess01 Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options
    thank you @jugar, maintaining is so much easier when you don't change your diet from when you were in a deficit. Technically, I might be still in a deficit because your body starts burning more calories when it notices more food coming in finally and I am experiencing that. I am tracking my weight so I will know more in a few weeks.
  • micaroo4
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    One of the things that helps keep me motivated is doing goal challenges with other people. Fitbit is awesome for that, so if any of you are also on fitbit, look for me.
    For the upcoming Fat2Fit challenge, I'm challenging myself to do a streak - exercise every day. Any type of exercise for at least 10 minutes, as long as I do something every day.
  • jugar
    edited February 2022
    Options
    micaroo4 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!
    One of the things that helps keep me motivated is doing goal challenges with other people. Fitbit is awesome for that, so if any of you are also on fitbit, look for me.
    For the upcoming Fat2Fit challenge, I'm challenging myself to do a streak - exercise every day. Any type of exercise for at least 10 minutes, as long as I do something every day.

That's a great challenge - those small changes where you really can stick to every single day are great. Then you can build it up a bit later once it is a habit. I will look for you on fitbit! I have not done one of the challenges on there in ages.

a few minutes later....
    What is your username on fitbit? I do not find you.
  • micaroo4
    Options
    My name on fitbit is Micaroo. My user ID is 42744H, so if you can't find me by name, try that. What is yours?
  • IDebraK
    Options
    Welcome Micaroo4 and happimess01! I'm late to the welcoming because this thread gets lost from time to time.

We really should keep the posts up so it stays on the main page instead of having to find it.

@micaroo4 , I absolutely LOVE my FitBit. I set my goal steps at 13000 a day. I don't always get that on the weekends. Some weekends I am just lazy.

A little about me: I'm 49, live in Georgia with my boyfriend of 8 years. We share the homestead with 6 dogs, 17 cats, 1 ferret, 1 emu, 3 goats, 3 ducks, 10 turkeys, and a whole lot of chickens. Fresh eggs daily.
    I work as a merchandiser for Tractor Supply, so I am always moving.
    I am a former Weight Watchers member and leader. I lost 72 pounds back in 2010. After my divorce, I gained about 40 of that back. I found this group in June of last year and lost almost that whole 40 (got 3 pounds to hit it). I set my goal weight to 122 - just under what it was at WW. I followed a low-carb diet and have been maintaining for about 3 months ( I guess). I am slowly adding carbs back. I'm gluten free anyway, so they are in the form of rice, quinoa, and oat. I just started a workout program to get some of this flabbiness shaped up and have been working on couch to 5K. I'm a runner at heart and have completed several 5Ks, 10Ks, 3- half marathons, and a 30K. A knee injury sidelined me for about 3 years. Now I'm back at it. I have to really work on a meal prep day so I don't get in that grab-and-go routine.

I found you and added you on FitBit. Debra G. is my user name (I think).

• micaroo4
    Options
    Awsome Debra! I saw your friend add, and accepted. I love the little chick with the crown! I'm not a runner, I'm a walker. My goal is to walk 2022 miles in 2022, which means that I needed 505 miles by the end of the first quarter to be on track - and yes, I did it!
  • jugar
    Options
    Good day wonderful maintainers!

I am feeling great today - I was hovering at the top of my maintenance range for the past few months, and have gotten back down into the lower part. I am thinking of changing the range a bit, but I'll give it some time to see if the seasonal fluctuations might require a winter at a slightly higher weight. Winter is cold here and I spend a lot of time outside, so maybe I am like the little creatures and my horse - always just a bit heavier for winter. It is interesting that I don't feel like I have changed much, but 3 pounds just slipped away over that past 2 weeks.

I'm heading out into the springtime!
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,133 Member
    Options
    It's quiet here, but I've been excitedly waiting on the sidelines to join up!

As of today, I officially joined the maintenance side of F2F. This group was absolutely key to my weight loss, and I can't wait to hang around as I learn how to maintain over the next while.

I started at 293, and today I'm 165, so I've lost 128 pounds. My original goal weight was 168 and I got there for the first time in mid-March and then I've slowly been chipping away at the last bit of loss to settle into my maintenance range of 160-165. After being there for two weeks in a row, I'm ready to signal my commitment to stay there!

What helped me get this far:
    -super honest logging every single day
    -pretracking so I don't have surprises
    -exercise becoming a daily thing and truly falling in love with moving my body
    -not taking days off so I have good data and awareness
    -not having any off limit foods or rules that would cause me to just crave those things more
    -checking in with the MFP community every single day

That's it really - nothing magical or sexy - just good ol' fashioned calorie counting every single day. I also think on that note it's important not to let perfection stand in your way. In the past I would fall off the wagon because I'd have a meal out and not know how to track it and just give up. Now I do my best (and overestimate, if anything...) and over time, the consistency pays off.

Caught up on a few updates from this year but hoping there are some folks lurking here that want to chat on this topic!
  • micaroo4
    Options
    Hi Ashley! That is definitely the secret to success, tracking that food every single day. Not glamorous. Stick to the routine and stay ON PLAN every single day. Persistence gets you to goal, Consistency keeps you there.
  • jugar
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I third the "not glamorous"! I have been maintaining for almost 10 years, and things sure don't change much. The routine gets slightly more relaxed as the body settles completely into "new normal", but then slips, vacations, celebrations, or seasonal cooking traditions happen, and the strict logging and planning have to come back for a while. I like the waves flowing between comfortably looser and the straight-and-narrow. As they say, it's a lifestyle!

Good luck @ashleycarole86 ! You have been brilliant at this, and are an inspiration to everyone on our team and now here :smiley:
  • jugar
    Options
    In an effort to keep this thread a bit more active, even though I know we all check in with our teams and spread the joy of maintaining there :lol: - here is a list of those I have on the various teams' Goal Zone. I am temporarily in the dog house back on regular team, but this is only temporary as I lose the couple of pounds I put on visiting my daughter and then taking my time consoling myself for getting back home!

@peng123
    @IDebraK
    @laurelfit57
    @micaroo4
    @happimess01 (also temporarily on regular team, but will be back here soon I'm sure!)
    @LaurieWrobo
    @PatriceFitnessPal
    @ashleycarole86

I think it is important that we keep the maintenance presence strong - it is what everyone is striving for, and having us as part of the teams helps us as well. Let's never become part of that depressing statistic of those who gain it all back and then some!
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,133 Member
    Options
    That's a good point... that stat is freaky for sure. I have tried many times to lose this weight, but I've never gotten even remotely close. Now I'm here, and convinced my true marker of success will be to stand here in a couple years and say I'm still here. I feel very aware of how easy it could be to let go, but how badly I want to stay here. Gotta think about it every day!

Looking forward to learning from all you and thanks for the intro to who is here @jugar ...