Waist Aways - September 2020 Team Chat

Options

Replies

• spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    @Terytha Really interesting video, thanks for posting. I feel like at 31 I am only just starting to actually get to grips with my menstrual cycle and what it means for weight loss. Some good tips on there!

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,098 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday!
    I'm getting off to a late start today, after a weird night of heavy rain and wakeful hubby. So many leaves have come down! Soon we'll get our winter view of the lake - we can only see it once the leaves are gone. Not quite there yet, but on the way after all this wind and rain.

I have been shirking on my nagging duties again! Here are today's weigh-ins and getting ahead for Thursday's as well:
    @offitgoes
    @PlaneMonkey

Thursday:
    @eggfreak
    @conleywoods

I'm inspired by your plan for October, @Gidgitgoescrazy - I have been sliding in a bad direction with my eating lately, and it is time to address that. So here is what I'm putting into the habit tracker this month. I didn't use it in September and I think it is needed!
    • 2 hikes
    • no sugar 5 days a week
    • Pilates 5 days, TRX 2 days
    • Talk to a friend or family member 5 days
    • log every day
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Welcome @krcapone78 ! Glad to have you as part of the team. We have very similar goals. :)
  • PlaneMonkey
    PlaneMonkey Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Welcome @krcapone78. I joined for September and the group is great for support for all issues. Amazing people.

@jugar
    PW 229.6
    CW 227.8
    LTD 16.2

Keep up the good work everyone! Love seeing all the exercise and step achievements.
  • jugar
    Options
    Welcome @krcapone78 ! I like your goals - they are clear, realistic, and hard to squirm out of with us nagging you, right? I suggest you try the habit tracker if you want another good way to see how well you do, and to evaluate any problems that you can then solve.
    Open https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tukWGyVaci4aK58Fv4UBBTb-4AmiP_jsf4fmE6HRd24/edit?usp=sharing
    go to the bottom and choose the WaistAways tab. Put your MFP user name (and your real one if you want!) in the left column, your list of habits next to it, and off you go starting Sunday. And you can tell us more! Where do you live? and all that fun stuff.

Anyone else can use it too - I'm getting back to it after a rather haphazard September :flushed:

@PlaneMonkey - what a good loss! Again!!! You are shaping up to being our top loser for September :smiley:

@offitgoes I just keep picturing you sneaking down the back stairs trying not to groan because of your sore muscles, raiding the fridge... without the dog! You are right - it will come off quickly. Train your dog to bark if you open the fridge or the cupboard where the snacks are. :wink:
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Step and Exercise update for 29th September

Steps - 4616
    Exercise - 37 minutes Step aerobics
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Hello friends!
    It's amazing to read everyone's days and goals, so much inspiration here!

So I have an interesting question: I have been running and swimming for awhile and noticed I tend to get a real energy rush after running, can get a crazy amount done those days, but feel exhausted/drained for the rest of the day after swimming. I was wondering why this might be. I work my hardest at both activities, and both last a similar length. I haven't changed my diet.
    Any insights?
  • Kali225
    Kali225 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    micki48 wrote: »
    Kali225 wrote: »
    @micki48 steps for Saturday were 11,514! Thanks for recording :)

Ohhh, you were just 41 steps from 100,000 for the week. Oh my!

Oh man don't even tell me that. Now I'll start paying attention to the weekly total!!
  • jugar
    Options
    Pearl4686 wrote: »
    Hello friends!

So I have an interesting question: I have been running and swimming for awhile and noticed I tend to get a real energy rush after running, can get a crazy amount done those days, but feel exhausted/drained for the rest of the day after swimming. I was wondering why this might be. I work my hardest at both activities, and both last a similar length. I haven't changed my diet.
    Any insights?
    This is so interesting! I am not much of a swimmer, but when I do spend time in the water I am exhausted. I think it might have to do with the fact that you have to keep your body temperature UP while you're in the water at the same time as you work your muscles hard. When you run, you have to keep your temperature down by sweating, and the muscles are kept nice and warm, fed by well-warmed blood. I think the sweating and exercising thing is much easier to take than the keeping warm while exercising. Or maybe weight-bearing exercise is more energising? Who knows... It's an interesting question.
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Glad to read all the wonderful posts. My daughter got her negative covid results today. I figured but happy to have that confirmed. So back to work tomorrow.

Having tummy trouble since dinner tonight. I’m hoping it’s just gas. But this is the second time recently where I have eaten dinner and before I leave the table, I am having pain. Trying to figure out what the trigger is but not sure at this point.

@Pearl4686 Very interesting observation and question. I don’t have an answer, but thought @jugar’s thoughts made sense.

Hard to believe that tomorrow is October. What a strange year this has been. Need to make some goals for October.

• 2 hikes
    •Pilates at least 3 days a week
    • Check In with my bff 3 days or more.
    • Meet step goal (9k) 5x or more days a week
    • use tracker
    • have a net loss for month

• jugar
    Options
    By request - a new member! We must be famous :smiley: Please welcome @coll7246 who will be along shortly!
  • eggfreak
    eggfreak Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    @jugar
    pw 148.5
    cw 147.5
  • eggfreak
    eggfreak Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Good morning and welcome to @krcapone78 and @coll7246. You'll find great support here. I found this group in January after a few of and on years of trying MFP and reading often that it's a help to find a buddy - well that's not so easy to pick an individual - happened upon this group with such amazing support and mindboggling spreadsheets : ). There's a few who meet up on Fitbit for walking challenges and that's fun and does prod me into taking those few more steps, feel free to join us. I've reached my walking goal every day during this 'workweek hustle' - likely I wouldn't have if not participating. It's amazing these little tricks for your mind - fitbit & mfp.
    I tried this last week to eat well without logging and I feel it worked okay, even though I had some cave-ins (but that bag of potato chips is now gone so I don't have to hear it whispering to me). It helps that it's my week in the office. In October, due to town hall being closed for early voting, I'll end up with a string of 3 weeks of working from home - must gear myself up for that to not eat poorly.
    @spyro88 the habit tracker is great...I think I'll try to jump on there again too for October, I've had a month of lapses and need to get that going again to help. Sounds like you have great motivation : )
    okay OCTOBER - here we come with all our new goals, motivation, inspiration and we are going to crush you - NO, no Halloween candy is going to enter this house!!
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    Pearl4686 wrote: »
    Hello friends!

Any insights?
    This is so interesting! I am not much of a swimmer, but when I do spend time in the water I am exhausted. I think it might have to do with the fact that you have to keep your body temperature UP while you're in the water at the same time as you work your muscles hard. When you run, you have to keep your temperature down by sweating, and the muscles are kept nice and warm, fed by well-warmed blood. I think the sweating and exercising thing is much easier to take than the keeping warm while exercising. Or maybe weight-bearing exercise is more energising? Who knows... It's an interesting question.

This actually makes a lot of sense! I swim in open water and the temperature of the water this week was 13C. It did actually take my breath away for a few seconds. I never thought of it that way. I hope it burns extra calories :wink: thanks @jugar
This discussion has been closed.