This October I Will ...

Options

Replies

• nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 I had to chuckle 🤭 when I read your comment but I certainly do appreciate it! My name in the same sentence with “consistent“ seems a bit like an oxymoron🤣 But see, that’s where I need to shift my mindset. I Must recognize my good habits that are consistent instead of focusing on the ones that aren’t consistent...YET! We are what we believe about ourselves to be true. Maybe there’s still hope for me🤣😂🤣
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,787 Member
    Options
    Nope @nebslp. No hope for you. And NO SOUP!!!!

I would also be interested on what your thoughts are on intuitive eating. I know what my thoughts are. I think I have seen exactly ONE MFPer who changes to intuitive eating and who is still active. I like to polyanna o:) think that they no longer log so they are just off busy leading their lives and eating intuitively and being successful on their weight journey,,,, but a little bit skeptic summer >:) thinks that they are gone down a rabbit hole to possibly and hopefully reappear on a "starting again" thread.

I used to read some self help type books and one I read on binging was pretty interesting. Their approach was that you should endulge and give yourself the liberty to do whatever you want and esp to pick one thing weekly which you absolutely want to go overboard on and do it! They did admit that you would most likely gain weight doing this but they also said you would cure the binging.... :#:s It also said that you should not count "good" days vs bad days etc as that just led to a mindset of always thinking about it. Anyway, the book was interesting and perhaps it would work for some folks but to me it was a bit of rubbish. sold a lot of copies I bet.

And back to Oct I will.. here's my tracker so far. I am still struggling with the extra weight training sadly and afraid that I just REALLY DO NOT WANT TO DO IT!!!

k6jsm99sjfe9.png

• nebslp
    Options
    @SummerSkier Hey, I could use a little souport here!!! And exactly what kind of soup are we talking about?????? I read part of the book Intuitive Eating before and I remember thinking that it's how people eat that have kept their weight at a "good" point all their lives without giving it a lot of thought, or so it seems. Before rereading the book, I think it's great in theory, not sure it works for people like me who have used food as an emotional crutch since I was 20. I have a niece who has never struggled with her weight who says she just doesn't feel good if she eats too much. Well, duh! What do you do when your husband keeps bringing ice cream in the house and it's is calling your name???!! It's a struggle, for sure. But I'm happy to say that he ate the last 4 half-gallons by himself because I made the decision I wasn't going to touch it. I also didn't touch the last 3 bags of potato chips and now he's quit buying them. And the two bags of cookies on the kitchen table are all his! It's all about the decisions we make along with figuring out why we've made poor decisions in the past and then working through that. Anyway, I will keep you and @MadisonMolly2017 updated as I read.

@SummerSkier Nice tracker :) I read somewhere that committing to working out might be easier if instead of saying I'll work out 5 minutes, you say I'll do X arm curls or shoulder presses or whatever you decide to do that day. I know watching the clock can be a real pain.
  • jrsepe12
    jrsepe12 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    All I can say about tracking is if I don’t do it all of the sudden I’ve gained several pounds and started eating some high calorie snacks. I think this ho around I’ve realized at least for me tracking is important. Sometimes I do it all at the end of the day....I’m not obsessed with it but it keeps me accountable. I have a tendency to eat if stressed, unhappy , etc. and tracking just helps me stay aware and I can divert myself to some other activity. Doing really well with my goals so far this month. Definitely eating better and moving more. Glad to see the progress towards our goals that all of us are making.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,972 Member
    Options
    jrsepe12 wrote: »
    All I can say about tracking is if I don’t do it all of the sudden I’ve gained several pounds and started eating some high calorie snacks. I think this ho around I’ve realized at least for me tracking is important. Sometimes I do it all at the end of the day....I’m not obsessed with it but it keeps me accountable. I have a tendency to eat if stressed, unhappy , etc. and tracking just helps me stay aware and I can divert myself to some other activity. Doing really well with my goals so far this month. Definitely eating better and moving more. Glad to see the progress towards our goals that all of us are making.

Awesome successes @jrsepe12 & thanks for sharing your thoughts!!
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    I think there is confusion about

1) tracking on MFP which a lot of us do
    2) monthly trackers which are a habit tool.

just sayin....

carry on.
  • nebslp
    Options
    @jrsepe12 :) You're doing well this month! Tracking/logging food can be a real eye opener for sure, so thanks for sharing your insights.
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    Happy Monday Oct gals! Hope everyone had a great weekend and is continuing on cementing those habits in!

I slept very badly on Sat night for no particular reason except I awoke at 2 am and my brain refused to turn off. LOL. As a result I just felt pretty low on energy most of Sunday combined with what now appears to be a headache when I don't rest my eyes overnight, and declared it a "rest" day. ;)

I hope we are going to have a mid month NSV topic this month. I haven't really figured one out but seems like a good way to freshen things up.

I am almost deciding to up the ante on the photo habit as it seems WAY too easy to mark them as favorites each day. I think for the last half of the month I might add that I need to file a bit of them as well.

But yesterday was not a total loss. I forced myself to go to the barn and go for a ride and really started to feel much better by the time I was done. I had been seeing hawks mostly but Sat I said "I wonder if I will see an Osprey in Oct" which is when they tend to come thru. Bingo. Yesterday I spotted this HUGE varmint sitting across the creek quite regally. He was too far away to make 100% ID but pretty sure it was an Osprey. I guess life lesson for me is maybe you just need to LOOK for things sometimes. I hope he comes closer this week and maybe sits on the power lines like my friend the hawk "Mr Fluffy Pants".

c46elfhziiui.png

• nebslp
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB Haven't heard from you for awhile. Hope all is OK and you're just really busy.
  • nebslp
    Options
    @SummerSkier I LOVE seeing Osprey because it happens so rarely. We do have them in NE but I don't live close to a lake so they're a special treat once in awhile. I'll be on the lookout for them later this week when I go birding with my daughter and granddaughter to a couple of fairly large lakes by their place. We are going in separate cars to social distance...sad but we will make it work. I'm bringing the "beach" chairs and blankets.

I've been working on getting photos transferred to an external hard drive and Google Photo. I thought I had sent some to Google Photo a couple of months ago, actually had checked off that I did it, but apparently that didn't happen, so I tried again today. I think it's going well??? I'm always so worried I'll lose everything because I pushed one wrong button one too many times. That happens :'(

Also logging my macros and am sitting pretty good so far today. I have my almonds and dark chocolate snack waiting here in a cup.

Totally blew off my steps count this morning. I got stuck in front of the TV watching the SCJ hearing and before I knew it, it was noon.

So that's my day so far. Next is my creative goal. I am almost finished with the Harry Potter robe I'm making for my granddaughter. Just have the facings to finish off and the hem and closure. I printed off the Gryffindor emblem on fabric and will put batting behind it to quilt it. Should be good.

I hope you're all having a great Monday!
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    @nebslp I tried switching to a Samsung phone vs Iphone a few years back where everything is on different platforms. The photos were 'supposed' to sync with Google photos but it seemed to lag and not everything synched. I am MUCH happier back on the Iphone which has the photo stream that has my photos show up on my Mac and Ipad from my phone. One of the reasons I gave up on the Samsung altho the display and the pen were really cool and the customization was a lot easier. Sounds like you are making the most of the day. I cannot watch these hearings anymore because they are such a waste of time and aggravating. Those old white senators are going to lick the president's butt every single time until he goes down in flames and they they will say "but the emperor has no clothes?!!!!!! (oops too political for here but .....)
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    @PackerFanInGB Haven't heard from you for awhile. Hope all is OK and you're just really busy.

GMTA @nebslp
    I was going to say the same! We miss you @PackerFanInGB 😘❤️
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @SummerSkier
    Yep Oct 15 will be another NSV day!

• nebslp
    Options
    Didn't get to my sewing today. When I checked my email there was an assignment from my French teacher. 6 short pages long which shouldn't take too long to translate and answer questions except it's all written in French and I have SO much to learn. Thank heavens for Google Translate. I'm on the 3rd page after an hour or two. It's still a slog but at least it's not impossible and I'm learning a lot by being immersed in the language a little more. We also have to learn passe compose by tomorrow and do 2 worksheets on that. What!??! (sigh). @SummerSkier I need your French Canadian relatives to move in with me so they can do my homework :D Or if only I had a dog...
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    @nebslp that is a LOT of French homework and are you supposed to use google translate? ;)

When I was in high school we took French and Latin and Greek and I can still recall trying to translate Hannibal crossing the ALPs.. and conjugating all those verbs. Some things you never forget.

My French canadian nieces and nephews are long past the point of a road trip but they usually did come south in the winter and just sort of show up and stay until we kicked them out. LOL at least a few of them.

Yesterday my favorite thing for the day was going to be the roses which bloomed but then on my way to the barn there were foxes! And one of them stayed to pose. So yeah, fox trumps roses I think. I had to stop because at first he was farther away and I was not sure if it was a Mr Robert Cat, a Coyote or a Fox. But he let me drive just a little closer to make sure. I think some of the folks who live in the house nearby have moved away and since their dogs are gone maybe the fox feels safer. I have seen a beautiful spotted Robert Cat in the same location before. And OH MY the Osprey was SITTING IN THE SAME TREE AS YESTERDAY. I thought. Maybe it's a fake bird. Can't be. But he flew away so yeah. real.

October check in going well here. I am still not sure I am needing a tracker but I do like the planner a lot.

Summermidmorningneedmorecoffee

gr2z6rz9gecn.png
    mlbppt5wtnia.jpg

• SummerSkier
    Options
    and PS. remember that I ran out of marbles to keep my goblets full (off the rollercoaster visual). Anyway AMAZON LOST THEIR MARBLES TOO!!! I mean these friggin shipped on an amazon truck from tx and they still got lost.

So someone has all my marbles now. :(

:#
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    this Oct I will...... vote early! Done and DONE!!!

yo4k6thrcmoq.png
  • nebslp
    Options
    @SummerSkier Look at that pretty tail on Foxy Freddy! I've seen a few foxes here over the years but never one that wanted to make friends with me.
    Should I be expecting marbles in my Amazon order that's coming later this week (fingers crossed)?
    And I love your voting picture! I'm pretty sure I'm on your team:)

Just finished up French class#2 and je suis fatigue!!! Sometimes it feels like Greek, French, and Latin all wrapped up in one. I get quite confused with all those crazy verb conjugations. I wouldn't survive without Google Translate..."legal" or not!!! It's a huge mental challenge and I love it, but it's tough. I took Spanish in HS and 1 year in college so the little I remember from that sometimes interferes as well. ooh la la!

So my thought was since I like a challenge so much, I am going to give myself an physical challenge in October, Part II. I'm still thinking about how that's going to look. I still have 2-3 days to nail it down. I haven't been taking my goal of 10 min. of exercise every day seriously enough...yet.

• SummerSkier
    Options
    @nebsp it seems like we are the only ones chatting away the past few days. But a physical challenge sounds good. You could do steps or something like that also. You told me that putting a TIME on it for the lifting might be a problem so I just make sure I do SOMETHING after my afternoon walk with my hand weights. No timer set.

Happy Wed...

Summer

PS the Marbles showed up and there were like these TWO HUGE marbles in there larger than gold balls. I guess those must be shooters or something. Anyway, I thought it was appropriate to use those for the 2 days I was off my program and it always feels like those days are BOULDERS compared to the regular marbles in the full goblets.... sigh.

• znaoiec
    znaoiec Posts: 1,984 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    First of all, even though it has been a while, thank you for the warm welcome. It is good to be here.

I got caught up in prepping for my granddaughter's first birthday and traveling out of state. It all went well and now I am back home and settling into my normal routine. While I have not been posting, I have been working at putting in my extra daily exercise when I can. I have not been that diligent about tracking normal task items on my tracker but after reading through these posts, I am more motivated than ever. I love everyone's trackers!

@SummerSkier I think your photographs are wonderful. I would have a tough time selecting which ones to keep or not keep.

@nebslp I appreciate your quote from James Clear "Do the most important thing first each day and you'll never have an unproductive day." I need to consider how this fits into my day.

@MadisonMolly
    So the Real Habit I’ve mastered, having said all of above, is Identifying a Habit I need/want to master & then tracking it daily until it is automatic OR until I invent a better solution which I then track.
    These are great words!

There are so many great posts and I 'wave' hello to all!