This October I Will ...

Options

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,972 Member
    Options
    znaoiec wrote: »
    First of all, even though it has been a while, thank you for the warm welcome. It is good to be here.

I got caught up in prepping for my granddaughter's first birthday and traveling out of state. It all went well and now I am back home and settling into my normal routine. While I have not been posting, I have been working at putting in my extra daily exercise when I can. I have not been that diligent about tracking normal task items on my tracker but after reading through these posts, I am more motivated than ever. I love everyone's trackers!

@SummerSkier I think your photographs are wonderful. I would have a tough time selecting which ones to keep or not keep.

@nebslp I appreciate your quote from James Clear "Do the most important thing first each day and you'll never have an unproductive day." I need to consider how this fits into my day.

@MadisonMolly
    So the Real Habit I’ve mastered, having said all of above, is Identifying a Habit I need/want to master & then tracking it daily until it is automatic OR until I invent a better solution which I then track.
    These are great words!

There are so many great posts and I 'wave' hello to all!

Thank you @znaoiec !! I’m glad you are feeling motivated. Trackers are complete optional, but when I truly want to change a behavior, I find them invaluable❣️
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    I failed to fill out my planner on Tuesday but I still did a few things on my list. Wednesday I filled it out a little, but not didn't follow up later in the day, and today I didn't fill it out again. I have excuses, and that's what all they are, not reasons. I was very busy studying and sewing and was gone most of today... but still. So excuses begone! When I don't plan in the morning, I don't do anything consistently. Gotta plan for success!

@znaoiec I'm glad you appreciated the James Clear quote. I think it's a good one.
    How exciting to be able to celebrate your granddaughter's 1st birthday! Those little ones grow up SO fast! Treasure every minute you get to be with them. And good for you for taking care of yourself and getting that exercise time in even with your busy schedule.

@SummerSkier My first thought when you said you had two gotten huge marbles was that they should be used for celebration when your goblets are running over with marbles. Positive rewards are so much more positive <3 We probably give ourselves enough mental punishment on those less than stellar days, I don't think a physical reminder would be necessary or helpful. Just a thought.

Hope you're all fine on this almost the weekend eve.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,787 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the 2nd half of Oct everyone!

@znaoie thank you for the kind comments on the photos. I take a few too many. LOL. Best of luck on getting a little more diligent in tracking. @nebslp has a very kind way to keep track in that she grades her habits and doesn't push to get everything done every day!

@nebslp yeah - I was laughing about having the 2 boulders in the pack but honestly if there had been 3 I could have used them for years of maintenance? I think maybe my rollercoaster is going well as after a week without having any new marbles to KKkkkaachink I find that I really did not miss it. So a mixed blessing there.

I've had a crazy buzy week but have been checking in on you guys. I have been thinking about how my planner works and I do enjoy having a weekly type almost diary thing going on.

For 2020 I created a monthly wall calendar that I have items on there in pencil which I do during certain months - like car inspections, mammo, endo, etc. There are not a lot of things on it but just ones which are annual. I was thinking that there might be a good way to do monthly type things also which are repetitive. Still pondering how that would work.

Summer checkinin

• SummerSkier
    Options
    thanks @nebslp that is a different way of organizing then I was thinking but putting different areas together seems quite a good way to go about it. I feel sad that you do not have an area for birds and trees tho. ;)

I guess my thoughts were more along the lines of monthly chores which need to be done which could be all on a single chart and not something to put in the weekly planner. But I am still evolving. Have you decided on your exercise for the rest of the month yet?
  • goingape
    goingape Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Hi all!! Enjoyed seeing the monthly intention page.

I have been journaling daily and also went to the library after work today. I picked up some fiction and two Marie Kondo books... something to check out. Don’t know if I will try her methods.

Also trying to cut down on social media and replace with reading.
  • nebslp
    Options
    @SummerSkier I used to use a monthly, weekly, and daily planner, but this month I created an amazing daily planner and I don't feel I need the weekly one anymore. I created a new daily planner based on the one I used for 5 years but didn't love. It has my October goals with an open bullet next to each that I color in when I'm done, an On My Brain section, Everyday Tasks, Today I Want to Accomplish, and an On the Calendar section. When I was working I loved helping the kids, but I loved paperwork just as much. I know...weird, but there was something about analyzing info and then putting it all together that made me feel fulfilled. This is a lot like that. You just have to play around with ideas until one sticks. I know, no birds or trees for Oct written down because of the other time sensitive things on the list. But I did go birding yesterday and I signed up for the Cornell University Feederwatch program that starts in November, so I didn't forget about them even though they didn't make the intention list :)

@goingape Is it getting easier to journal daily or is that something you've done and want to be more consistent with it? Hearing about Marie Kondo will bring a smile to several people here, myself included! I read her books a few years ago, rolled my eyes a lot, but finally gave in. I am so glad that I did every time I open up my clothes drawers and I can see exactly what I have. I resisted for a long time. Now it's a habit to fold my clothes in a certain way and I actually enjoy it because my drawers look so pretty and organized when I put them away. And no more digging for that one shirt I like. Just my opinion. Saying thank you to items I remove that I once loved but no longer bring joy makes it easier to put them in the good will bag so someone else can buy and love them. I'd love to hear what you think after you read the books.

Oh, my exercise for the month...starting tomorrow (my official 1/2 through the month point) I will do Miranda Esmond-White's classical stretch DVDs. Each session is only 23 minutes and it will be a gentle way to start a habit. I'm going to try 11:00 and see if that time will be good. I watch The View from 10-11 M-F and a news show on Sunday so the end of those would be a good trigger, I hope.

Hope you all have a good weekend <3
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    @nebslp that is interesting about the planners. I agree that you don't really need a weekly or monthly one sometimes. I was mostly thinking of the repetitive things I need to do each month more like chores such as clean the auto cat water dish , change the bedsheets, change the sink sponge that would just be bullets to check off each month and not something on a daily planner. But it is possible that having them on a monthly would allow too much freedom to DO accomplish things also.. have to thunk on it all.

I have never read the Marie Kondo but thanking to things seems like a japanese type approach. And I have heard of the vertical style drawers also. My ability to find the clothes I want to wear is by how visible they are on the edge of the tub or hanging on my chairs.... :D

Yes I am THAT person. But sadly when I really put things away I forget about them and don't use them. Much like having things out and visible. Altho I might be called a clutter person.

Great idea on the exercise. I hope that time works out and you can remember to do it. One thing I do is NEVER watch TV before noon on a non work day and never watch TV until after/at dinner on work days. I used to hate that my ex would turn the TV on first thing in the day and let it run all day. I have other friends who do that and the blare of speaking voices in the background annoys me. I tend to put music on and let THAT run all day on random. ;)

Hard to believe it is Oct 17 th already.

@goingape nice to see you here. Hope that your journaling is going well.

Seems like it must be a crazy busy month as many of the regulars are missing?

@77tes how is schoolwork going? Is your dog still doing ok?

@packerfaninGB miss you also. Did you decide on anything for Oct or skipping this month? I think you were doing water in Sept?

@themedalist hope that all is going well with your parents. That is a long/tough road but you are strong!

@PKM0515 (take your meds!)

@jrsepe12 how is the Daniel Fast going? I had to look that up to see exactly what WOE that was. Is it working for you? What are the benefits you are experiencing?

@MadisonMolly2017 you have been mostly quiet this month here. I guess you are focusing on plugging along nicely now that the smoke has cleared out?

@texasgardnr how are you doing? I think about you often and how you are overcoming your OA and being unable to do am much physical walking as you used to. Have the drs said if any type of injections would help your ankles?

Had a crazy busy stressful week last week. Why do I schedule ALL the stuff the same week? I need to learn to space that stuff out. ;) But it's done and now I can relax and do more enjoyable things I hope. I got some new seeds to plant - REAL moon flowers which are white morning glories - another Iris (because one seemed to die but I am leaving it just in case, and some red morning glories. We still probably have a month or two because we get any hard frost so I will see if the annuals can get a head of steam going for some fall color. Red and white. ;)

summercatchupcoffeemakesmedoit
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,756 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I’m still around and chipping away at my habits. I missed journaling for 2 days. 😣 because I’m reading an ebook, and the cue when I finish reading isn’t as clear.

I’ve been very good about my essay grading, but it is such a mountain of work, and I feel like I removing it with a teaspoon. 🤪

Here is my tracker through the 15th. Half of the month done.

rpx9cn04fwqi.jpeg

• nebslp
    Options
    @77tes Look at you go! Your tracker looks so pretty and full!! Good to hear from you :)
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    I agree what a beautiful and nicely filled tracker to Oct!! I am laughing at your description of essay grading. remember being on the other side of that and having to WRITE the essays and papers?!! I can remember research papers and going thru the card catalogs in the library. How is the stretching DVD going? With all those stairs you are climbing I think that should fit in quite nicely! ;)
  • nebslp
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @SummerSkier I'm not one to have the TV on unless it's something I plan to watch. I just have my morning hour and then it's off until the evening news. That's another reason I spend a lot of time upstairs...too much TV noise all day downstairs. But I think that 11:00 would be a good exercise trigger during the week since that's when my TV goes off. This weekend it wasn't the best time. Yesterday my daughter called then and I ended up forcing myself to do 15 min of a really hard stretching routine at 7:00 PM. Some videos are definitely stretching, others not so much. It's a good thing I have 10 minutes as my goal instead of the full 23! I still have to get around to it today. Yesterday I was expected to stand on tiptoes, stay up on one foot, bend my knee a little, lift the other leg and do crazy point and flex things with it. Whew! Tiptoes with both feet is almost a stretch!!! LOL!

@77tes I don't know which end of essay papers would be worse! No doubt it takes you a lot longer to grade them all than it does for them to write one.

I moved more photos to Google Photo today. It's SO stressful but I'll keep hacking away at it. I'm so afraid I'll lose special photos of the grandkids. They were so little once! I have to delete them from my computer because one day I had only 256 mb storage left on my C drive and my computer whiz kid told me I needed to do something about that, and he used a very serious tone.

Worked on French...starting to make some connections, maybe.
    I'm also logging fairly faithfully. Since I end up with high fat and low protein percentages so often, I'm working on using adjusting carbs to level things out. It makes sense even though it probably doesn't sound like it. I'm learning a lot about choices since I check my percentages throughout the day instead of at the end of it. I eat a lot fewer calories when I focus on balancing my macros instead of on total calorie intake.

Next up today is to work on my table runner. It's time for the free motion quilting to begin. YEESH!!!!! I will practice first. A Lot! Then I want to clean upstairs awhile. Busy, Busy!!!

Hope you all had a good weekend!

• goingape
    goingape Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I missed Friday and yesterday on my journaling but back at it today. Has a couple busy days so felt more like having a relax then doing my task.

The weather here is freezing so I’m huddled up a lot under a blanket on the couch with the fire going. Will be getting some cleaning and organizing done tomorrow.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    @SummerSkier I'm not one to have the TV on unless it's something I plan to watch. I just have my morning hour and then it's off until the evening news. That's another reason I spend a lot of time upstairs...too much TV noise all day downstairs. But I think that 11:00 would be a good exercise trigger during the week since that's when my TV goes off. This weekend it wasn't the best time. Yesterday my daughter called then and I ended up forcing myself to do 15 min of a really hard stretching routine at 7:00 PM. Some videos are definitely stretching, others not so much. It's a good thing I have 10 minutes as my goal instead of the full 23! I still have to get around to it today. Yesterday I was expected to stand on tiptoes, stay up on one foot, bend my knee a little, lift the other leg and do crazy point and flex things with it. Whew! Tiptoes with both feet is almost a stretch!!! LOL!

@77tes I don't know which end of essay papers would be worse! No doubt it takes you a lot longer to grade them all than it does for them to write one.

I moved more photos to Google Photo today. It's SO stressful but I'll keep hacking away at it. I'm so afraid I'll lose special photos of the grandkids. They were so little once! I have to delete them from my computer because one day I had only 256 mb storage left on my C drive and my computer whiz kid told me I needed to do something about that, and he used a very serious tone.

Worked on French...starting to make some connections, maybe.
    I'm also logging fairly faithfully. Since I end up with high fat and low protein percentages so often, I'm working on using adjusting carbs to level things out. It makes sense even though it probably doesn't sound like it. I'm learning a lot about choices since I check my percentages throughout the day instead of at the end of it. I eat a lot fewer calories when I focus on balancing my macros instead of on total calorie intake.

Next up today is to work on my table runner. It's time for the free motion quilting to begin. YEESH!!!!! I will practice first. A Lot! Then I want to clean upstairs awhile. Busy, Busy!!!

Hope you all had a good weekend!

@nebslp!! Yay Free motion quilting!!
    I think I’m going to have to email or call Husqvarna to see if it’s even possible with my vintage (heehee) sewing machine.

Remind me...are you setting up an Etsy shop or your own website for your art? How exciting!!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    goingape wrote: »
    I missed Friday and yesterday on my journaling but back at it today. Has a couple busy days so felt more like having a relax then doing my task.

The weather here is freezing so I’m huddled up a lot under a blanket on the couch with the fire going. Will be getting some cleaning and organizing done tomorrow.

Hey @goingape ! Great to hear from you! Relaxing snug as a big by a fire sounds lovely!!
  • nebslp
    Options
    @goingape Yes, it is definitely getting colder here, too. The ground was white with snow this morning and we lost a few small tree branches from the weight. It's WAY too early for that! And if you're doing more journaling than you were before starting your October goal, even if missing a day here and there, I'd call that success!

@MadisonMolly2017 My dream has been to open an Etsy shop. It's slowly becoming a possibility, hopefully soon a reality. Experiencing imposter syndrome and lack of tech knowledge are two excuses for not doing it sooner. It will happen.
    If you can lower the feeddogs on your machine, you should be able to free motion quilt. Good luck!

I'm doing the number of Classical Stretch workout that coincides with the date, so today I did #1018, all 23 minutes of it. I'd done that one many times so it was pretty easy. Still I'm feeling it in my shoulders (yay!).

I just got my quilt layers pinned today, so will hit the machine tomorrow. I did everything on my list for the first time since Oct. 1.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Fantastic @nebslp! I bet that feels great!
  • nebslp
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 yes, it was great to mark everything on my extensive🙄list! There’s really no reason not to do that every day that I’m home. It’s merely a decision to focus on what’s important to me and then do it.

More huge flakes again...it’s been snowing for hours...hope the trees survive all of that weight😬
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Wow snow! Amazing. Are you in Canada?
  • nebslp
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 Would you believe eastern Nebraska? It's unusual to have snow this early in the fall season and hopefully it won't stick around too long and extra hopeful it isn't a sign of what's to come this winter.