Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,248 Member
    Options

Athijade what about chicken, egg, or tuna salad on a wrap or a plate of lettuce for lunch?…sometimes a Lean Cusine is easy for lunch, too….

I do like egg and tuna salad. May get the general fixings and then I can make either. I think I may have canned chicken too. Will check.

Going to look at recipes now! Thanks Connie!!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I had tuna for lunch mixed with lots of diced celery and onions, a T. of relish and 2 T. Light mayonaise all on top of some greens….

Afraid dinner is another can of soup and I told poor John he is on his own!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,682 Member
    Options
    Since Connie reminded me I hadn't done the light cherry pie filling on yogurt thingy... possibly I just did!

(split a can of light cherry filling and a tub of greek yogurt into two batches. possibly crumbled one cookie on one and some cereal on the other. and some hershey cocoa. and a drop or two of sucralose)

And did I mention how good sriracha goes with pre-boiled and pre-peeled eggs?!?!! :wink:
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,651 Member
    Options
    and pickled red onion!!!!!!!!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Let's talk pickled red onions? What is that wonder and how to employ?

Currently into Greek yogurt based egg salad mood
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    More canned soup today….kids are ordering pizza for dinner….I have been eating very much at goal this week…might have pizza and might not!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I gave in and had pizza but didn’t really have that bad of a day….planning on finally getting back to the gym this week and maybe the hot tub where I can get some good stretching in if no one is there!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Delicious and quick! I usually add some picking spice mix (store bought - just a spoonful or so) and whatever other herb I might have on hand - a sprig of rosemary or sage (it looks really nice in the jar too). These onions are delicious - they make everything exciting.

https://www.loveandlemons.com/pickled-red-onions/
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I had pizza too! Was probably slightly over maintenance - another icy blizzardy day - not enough steps to accomodate pizza - but I'm okay with that today. Picking up a recumbent stationary bike tomorrow - I'll start burning some calories soon (and get the legs in shape for summer I hope!)
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Our son in law treated us all tonight with pizza….our grandsons girlfriend has been here two weeks and she is going home tomorrow….they have been gaming friends for a few years and she came down for her vacation and so they could meet in person….she is in culinary school so they went to a lot of different places to eat here and she cooked for him…she. A couple of years older than him but seems like a really nice girl and he is mature for his age….of course now they are madly in love….not sure how 950 miles between them is going to work out….but they both had a great time!
  • PAV8888
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Is the sugar necessary for the chemistry, or just for taste, especially if they're eaten soon? I would be tempted to use sucrose and keep the calories for candy bars🤷🏻‍♂️

These older girls lurking around these here shores are way dangerous❣️❤️😘
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Sorry, PAV. I don't know the answer to that one. I haven't used the same amount of sugar as in that recipe (I kind of wing it now) - probably closer to 3 tablespoons (two be precise :) two kind of rounded soup spoons/dinnerware tablespoons). That being said - I usually fork out the onions from the brine so the brine stays in the jar - one forkful per egg, so the jar lasts a few weeks. I pour any brine left over down the drain when the onions are gone - so I haven't been particularly worried about the sugar.

They don't really taste "sugary" beyond the natural sweetness of the onions - so if the sugar isn't necessary for the chemistry - you probably don't need a sweetener for taste. These are quick to make - and the jar stays in the fridge - which gives a fair bit of latitude for experimenting.

@bmeadows380 - can you help us out here? Do we need sugar in the brine?
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,866 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Have you tried pickling onions and other veggies in leftover pickle juice? When I use up all the pickles there’s plenty of juice left in the jar. Toss in the onions. I also use pickle juice mixed with a little olive oil for salad dressing. Of course use the juice of pickles you like. 🥒
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Have you tried pickling onions and other veggies in leftover pickle juice? When I use up all the pickles there’s plenty of juice left in the jar. Toss in the onions. I also use pickle juice mixed with a little olive oil for salad dressing. Of course use the juice of pickles you like. 🥒

Using that pickle juice for pickling veggies is a great idea!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Ha! I am always paranoid that I will "contaminate" the jar with a "used" fork or spoon, so I tend to empty the juice near the end so that I can reach the left-overs with less fishing... maybe I should do a better job preserving them next time.

Sounds like the existing left over brine plus a bit of extra vinegar should work, right?
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    It is pretty hard to contaminate vinegar as long as you dont lick the spoon!
  • PAV8888
    edited January 2022
    Options
    It is pretty hard to contaminate vinegar as long as you dont lick the spoon!

Which part about "alway paranoid" did we miss, Ms Connie? :wink:

My friend Fred, who does home canning, has terrified me with his stories. On the plus side, I would implicitly trust to eat anything canned by Fred, without even checking it!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I'm a little paranoid too, PAV. I would only use a clean fork - dish out the onions - then eat :) - and I would be afraid to reuse the brine... :#
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I would not use the homemade brine more than once but I know a lot of people that pickle vegetables in the leftover jar of pickle juice….
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,866 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Pour clean unused brine over onions into clean container. There’s usually way too much pickling in the pickle jar anyway. You can also use the brine from pickled beets on the onions. Throw in a couple peeled hard boiled eggs for pickled eggs that are pretty pink. Of course it all has to be refrigerated. And the eggs eaten within a few days.
    You could boil and cool brines first if you’re wary. And Laurie is correct in asserting that pickling is fairly simple to make with vinegar, spices and a little sugar.
    Here’s an article from Bon Appetit magazine on reusing pickle brine. https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/cooking-tips/article/15-ways-to-use-leftover-pickle-juice