What's for dinner?

Options
2»

Replies

• bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Pot roast tonight. Haven't had that in so long. I know it's fatty. But i am looking forward to it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,884 Member
    Options
    I made an experimental thing for dinner last night (invented, I don't mostly do recipes). It doesn't photograph appealingly, but I'll include a photo, anyway.

By intention, it was something over in the general direction of a custard or crustless quiche, but much more airy (lighter, fluffier texture), and based on a can of pumpkin I wanted to use up (bought over the holidays, didn't use at the time). Rather than being sweet or pie-filling-like, it was savory: Pumpkin, eggs, onions, garlic, sage, cottage cheese, mixed together and baked in a 6"x8" tempered glass rectangle dish.

Half the pan was 263 calories, 21g protein, 6g fiber, and some nice micros. It tasted good, and was filling (and was super quick prep).

This is a quarter pan serving; I ate two for the calories mentioned above.

e30g6xhmox2r.jpg

Normally I might add a salad, but I just had an apple as dessert and called it fine: I'd already had a bigger lunch than usual, red lentil spaghetti with spinach, roasted cauliflower (from a big batch roasted a couple days ago), a roasted-garlic sauce, parmesan cheese. This came in at 506 calories, 35g protein, so after the two meals mentioned and my usual oatmeal breakfast, I had my nutrition goals covered, with discretionary calories left for a glass of Malbec.

bba00ew8f5u8.jpg

Probably obvious that I'm vegetarian. 😉
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,884 Member
    Options
    Homemade mac and cheese, with my own pickled beets from last summer = 375 calories. Comfort food at its finest for a cold, snowy night 🙂

@ridiculous59, do you make sweet-pickled beets, or savory? Back when we grew beets, I made savory ones (with garlic and onion), which I really liked, but all the commercial ones seem to be sweet (with cinnamon/cloves kind of stuff). Both are good, but I've concluded that if I want savory, I probably have to buy beets in season & make my own.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Homemade mac and cheese, with my own pickled beets from last summer = 375 calories. Comfort food at its finest for a cold, snowy night 🙂

@ridiculous59, do you make sweet-pickled beets, or savory? Back when we grew beets, I made savory ones (with garlic and onion), which I really liked, but all the commercial ones seem to be sweet (with cinnamon/cloves kind of stuff). Both are good, but I've concluded that if I want savory, I probably have to buy beets in season & make my own.

I make sweet. My mother-in-law used to make them with cloves and to me, it overpowered the lovely earthy beet flavour. Plus anything with a hint of cloves takes me back to my childhood and visits to the dentist *shudder*
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Today is homemade macaroni and cheese with vegetarian andouille, peppers, and broccoli!