February 4 Sign In

Options

Replies

• donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 3,064 Member
    Options
    @TheresaM787 Hope ur feeling better!

@dsgoingtodoit ha ha great tactic. I hve no doubt ur son will hold u to it! Lol! Ur post was a good reminder for me to also lift my game in the sleep department!

@Pamjsa yayyyy to u only half the burger! That takes sooo much will power! Well done!

@Audreys03 very supportive of ur hubby!!!
  • neviehealth
    neviehealth Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes 20 mins brisk walk + active day at work
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Yes x3
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,883 Member
    Options
    Bovaryoo wrote: »
    @GreyGirl915 Glad you asked this question because I struggle with protein too!

I rely a lot on Greek Yogurt, which has already been posted about. My other go to is cottage cheese 1/2 cup will get you 14 grams. Sometimes, I'll even add 1/2 to my scrambled eggs (sounds kinda gross but it makes them cheesy) and then eat another 1/2 cup for 28 grams.

If friendship brand is available where you are, it is higher protein than standard. I don't happen to like the consistency of that CC, so that does not work for me. Hubby uses it as a topping for a toasted light english muffin (I like Hood Cucumber Dill). Just a few days ago I read about making the most creamy scrambled eggs by adding CC. Have never done, but may now need to try it. :P
  • SModa61
    Options

I'm having trouble getting enough protein into my diet even using the powder in my morning shake doesn't get me close to my goal. Any suggestions 🤔? Thanks

Happy to help!
    Your body needs 1gram of protein per kilogram of body weight. If you’re over 60, some recommend multiplying that number by 1.2-1.4. Or .45-.65 grams per pound of body weight.

I’m about 70 kg, so I eat 70-85g of protein each day. And no more than 1.4 x 70 or 98 ever in one day.

I do have only one kidney, but these numbers are for all adults.

So I quickly fill up my 70-85 with
    Mozzarella cheese sticks 8g
    Bread varies 3- 6g per slice
    Cup of milk 8g
    Tuna 3oz = 23 protein
    1/2 oz walnuts = 1 g
    2% Fage yogurt 3 oz = 9 g
    Packet instant oatmeal 4g
    Greek salad 7g
    Eggs are great.
    Peanuts only peanut butter 1 oz = 7g

I find my 70-85 goes fast, but I know other folks have trouble getting enough, too.

Also, I try to keep my protein spread over my meals pretty evenly.

I used to eat & drink a homemade 8ox nonfat milk latte, 2 slices Ezekiel sesame toast, 32g unsalted peanut butter, apple or berries
    That was 24 g of protein & ~ 1/3 of what my body needs each day for energy & to keep muscle mass.

Going to keep this guidance in mind. Since September, I have been working off the rule I had been given of 1 gram protein per pound of target weight. So, for me, that was 129 grams regardless of the weight I was at during these months. I have been doing this for over 4 months but paying less attention to it daily once I got rolling with my high protein breakfast. Yesterday, my protein was way high (good or bad?) while today, it will likely be low due to gnocchi for dinner. Now I need to figure out if those numbers are causing me harm.
  • karenesg
    karenesg Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    2/4/2021
    Exercised 20 minutes … Y ... 35 Walking
    All calories logged … Y
    Under calorie limit … Y
    Pass day remaining 2
  • dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Things finally settled at work and I managed to get a 🚴‍♀️ride in. Been missing my 🚴‍♀️!

Got my 🏋‍♀️ing in and walked a bit, too!

Only 200cal left, but that's still very good!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,090 Member
    Options
    SModa61 wrote: »

I'm having trouble getting enough protein into my diet even using the powder in my morning shake doesn't get me close to my goal. Any suggestions 🤔? Thanks

Happy to help!
    Your body needs 1gram of protein per kilogram of body weight. If you’re over 60, some recommend multiplying that number by 1.2-1.4. Or .45-.65 grams per pound of body weight.

I’m about 70 kg, so I eat 70-85g of protein each day. And no more than 1.4 x 70 or 98 ever in one day.

Cup of milk 8g
    Tuna 3oz = 23 protein
    1/2 oz walnuts = 1 g
    Greek salad 7g
    Eggs are great.

I find my 70-85 goes fast, but I know other folks have trouble getting enough, too.

I used to eat & drink a homemade 8ox nonfat milk latte, 2 slices Ezekiel sesame toast, 32g unsalted peanut butter, apple or berries
    That was 24 g of protein & ~ 1/3 of what my body needs each day for energy & to keep muscle mass.

Going to keep this guidance in mind. Since September, I have been working off the rule I had been given of 1 gram protein per pound of target weight. So, for me, that was 129 grams regardless of the weight I was at during these months. I have been doing this for over 4 months but paying less attention to it daily once I got rolling with my high protein breakfast. Yesterday, my protein was way high (good or bad?) while today, it will likely be low due to gnocchi for dinner. Now I need to figure out if those numbers are causing me harm.

Hi SModa61,
    I know many exercise sites recommend higher percentages of protein. The teacher of a research-based nutrition class I took who also was a power lifter & was maintaining a large weight loss, said it’s important to spread the protein out every 3-4 hours of the day.

The minimum protein recommended was .8 x body wt in kilograms.

The research I found showed that older women who consumed 0.45-0.65 g protein per pound of body wt had enough.

I have spent SO much time researching this.

You could ask for BUN & creatinine blood & urine tests which is what convinced me that my body is healthier with the lower ranges

Of course it’s tricky as we’ve lost a lot of weight & protein suppresses my appetite. However, I find eating 15-20g per meal & the rest as snacks keeps my appetite at bay. Healthy fats work well too! Olive oil avocado unsalted nuts

I’d love to hear what you find as you explore further.

I think they will look back in 2050 & think “Wow, bless those earlier folks who didn’t know x, y, and z. Much like our earlier ancestors didn’t know about germs!
  • SModa61
    Options

Happy to help!

Cup of milk 8g
    Tuna 3oz = 23 protein
    1/2 oz walnuts = 1 g
    Greek salad 7g
    Eggs are great.

Hi SModa61,
    I know many exercise sites recommend higher percentages of protein. The teacher of a research-based nutrition class I took who also was a power lifter & was maintaining a large weight loss, said it’s important to spread the protein out every 3-4 hours of the day.

The research I found showed that older women who consumed 0.45-0.65 g protein per pound of body wt had enough.

You could ask for BUN & creatinine blood & urine tests which is what convinced me that my body is healthier with the lower ranges

Of course it’s tricky as we’ve lost a lot of weight & protein suppresses my appetite. However, I find eating 15-20g per meal & the rest as snacks keeps my appetite at bay. Healthy fats work well too! Olive oil avocado unsalted nuts

I think they will look back in 2050 & think “Wow, bless those earlier folks who didn’t know x, y, and z. Much like our earlier ancestors didn’t know about germs!

Very, very interesting. I did have a relatively thorough set of lab work on 1/25/21. BUN was 16 mg/dl and Creatinine was .7 mg/dl. Both listed in the "normal" range with the Bun closer to the top number of 30 and Creatinine closer to the bottom number of .6. But means nothing to me. The Urinalysis Reflex UC was all in "normal" ranges. The only anomalies that popped up were low D3 and low B12, which I'll be addressing with supplements. Any thoughts?
  • znaoiec
    znaoiec Posts: 1,988 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes and yes
    Treadmill walking
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Late entry and catching up on posts. I will never ever tardy in checking UAC at least once a day from now on. Whew, y'all have been capital "B" Busy!

Totally agree with logging food and exercise as it happens (or jotting down a note that you'll input into MFP as soon as possible). That was the easier part of getting used to MFP for me. And, it's also the reason I can track my protein macro so easily.

Speaking of protein @GreyGirl915, in addition to all the great advice received here already there are a few protein-focused threads in the main forums. They also go beyond supplementation and take any other dietary preferences into account. Based on what your goal is (curbing hunger, maintaining muscle mass, building lean muscle mass, age, etc), the ratio you settle on at any given time may differ.

As with all things health, you may need to tweak and experiment (ideally with the guidance of a healthcare professional like a nutritionist or dietitian) for a bit to find what works for your current goal!

---|---|---|---
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? YES | Stretching!! (20) TOTAL: 20 min
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? YES | Base + 47
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? YES
    ---|---|---|---

Personal Bonus: Did I meet my protein macro for the day (40%)? NO | 17%
    Pass Days Used: -

Yes. I stretched!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,090 Member
    Options

Happy to help!

Cup of milk 8g
    Tuna 3oz = 23 protein
    1/2 oz walnuts = 1 g
    Greek salad 7g
    Eggs are great.

Hi SModa61,

Very, very interesting. I did have a relatively thorough set of lab work on 1/25/21. BUN was 16 mg/dl and Creatinine was .7 mg/dl. Both listed in the "normal" range with the Bun closer to the top number of 30 and Creatinine closer to the bottom number of .6. But means nothing to me. The Urinalysis Reflex UC was all in "normal" ranges. The only anomalies that popped up were low D3 and low B12, which I'll be addressing with supplements. Any thoughts?

@SModa61
    I’m no doctor but I can tell you that your BUN & Creatinine are both perfect. In fact they are what mine were before something attacked my kidneys.

The lower the creatinine number (within reason) the more kidney function you have!

I’m super happy for you!
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Yes: worked out my
    Yes: tracked
    No budget.
    2 passes left
  • JTreasures
    JTreasures Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Yes x 3