Homemade sauerkraut?

Options
13»

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,175 Member
    Options
    Well, it's cold out, and I don't keep my house all that warm.

I think this batch will ferment maybe at least twice as long as usual before getting jarred up and put in the fridge to mature. It's barely even bubbling after two days.

g23ryra9jpdj.jpg

• mtaratoot
    Options
    I went ahead and put the kimchi in smaller jars yesterday. It fermented a little over seven days instead of three to five. Of course I left some out of the smaller jars so I could eat it. It might be the best batch yet; certainly one of the best. I had to go get another serving. Now I am glad it was such a large batch. It won't last long.
  • ColoradoBringItOn
    ColoradoBringItOn Posts: 132 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I make sauerkraut all the time! I just cut a cabbage by hand into shreds removing the core, salt it, massage the salt into it and let it sit in a bowl with a weighted bowl pressing it down until it forms a lot of liquid. Usually an hour or so. Then I transfer the whole thing to a clean mason jar and press it down as hard as I can making sure the natural liquid covers the top and then I put cheese cloth over the top and secure with a rubber band and leave on the counter for about 3 days until it starts to ferment and then store in the fridge. DELICIOUS AND SO EASY :)
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I make sauerkraut all the time! I just cut a cabbage by hand into shreds removing the core, salt it, massage the salt into it and let it sit in a bowl with a weighted bowl pressing it down until it forms a lot of liquid. Usually an hour or so. Then I transfer the whole thing to a clean mason jar and press it down as hard as I can making sure the natural liquid covers the top and then I put cheese cloth over the top and secure with a rubber band and leave on the counter for about 3 days until it starts to ferment and then store in the fridge. DELICIOUS AND SO EASY :)

If you let your kraut ferment longer, it allegedly becomes colonized with more probiotic organisms. There are apparently a series of three different lactic acid bacteria that come along in a sequence, and the third doesn't even get started until after a couple weeks. I typically leave out for three weeks for sauerkraut; some do three times that long. For kimchi I do a quick ferment. For cauliflower it's in between - about two weeks. I made carrots this late fall that were really good. I don't remember how long I let them go, but I do seem to recall looking at them and deciding to give them a little more time. I dole them out as special treats. I hope my neighbor grows a lot more this year and gives me some.

Currently I have a gallon of cauliflower that should be done this weekend and cabbage kraut that should be done a week later. Then I reckon it will be time to start something else. I did a kale ferment, but it didn't come out the way I wanted. Oh well.