What's on your mind today?

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
This is where you can share what's on your mind. Recipes, ideas, workouts, anything that you think might be helpful to others.

Maybe, you've tried something that has worked for you in the past and would like to share it with the group. Maybe, you have a NSV (Non Scale Victory) that you would like to share with the group. Anything that you feel comfortable sharing or anything that you feel comfortable asking the group with help....this is the place to come.

The GOOD!! What NSV did you have this week!!
The BAD!! So what....you ate the whole thing!!
The UGLY!! That darn scale went through the window this week....it deserved it too!!

So, what's on your mind today??

Replies

• donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 3,016 Member
    Options
    @mjstewies welcome and congrats on the weight loss so far!
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    I have been MIA from UAC for a while, but other factors have finally settled down. Time to get back to what I know works.

Yay! Nice to see you back again @BMcC9!
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,371 Member
    Options
    I work in Branch-level Shared Business Services (over-all we we are the grouped Branch Single Window interfaces between Operational Directorates and Corporate Business / Admin Services (HR, Contracts, Finance, the kind of "keep the business running" activities that ALL businesses do, in order to keep the operational units "Doing the Mandated Business".

My sub-section (Information Management and Access To Information Request coordinating) has zero connection in workflow or contact with the other parts, and up until just this week, I have been solo. I FINALLY have a sub-team cohort!!!!! This will relieve both the volume-load pressure, AND give me someone I am regularly in contact with who actually understands and cares about what I do, cause she is doing it too.

With that load lightened, the work-overload stress is already shrinking, and I feel I have the breathing space to turn my attention back to paying attention to strenghening personal lifestyle factors (like ..... logging my intake .... getting back to what always was working in the past ... in short what UAC excels at supporting.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Someone mentioned the book "Atomic Habits" in the February "What's on your mind?" thread. Mentioning it again, because I would like to hear how others have come up with ways to support new habits until they become ... unthinking habits, really. Just "what / how I auto-do things"

I put myself on the library waiting list for this particular book before I saw it mentioned here.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,869 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Someone mentioned the book "Atomic Habits" in the February "What's on your mind?" thread. Mentioning it again, because I would like to hear how others have come up with ways to support new habits until they become ... unthinking habits, really. Just "what / how I auto-do things"

I put myself on the library waiting list for this particular book before I saw it mentioned here.

@BMcC9 I think I was the one to first mention the book as I stumbled upon it somewhere. I think on a podcast. But i don't think I mentioned it in the "what's on your mind" portion, so it may not have been me. Either way, I did begin reading and then life got in the way. I did bring it south with me, though I have yet to unpack it. It was interesting up to the point I left off. It would indeed be interesting to here if anyone has incorporated any concepts in their life.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Someone mentioned the concept of "stacking habits" (pairing something you already do and enjoy with something you want to regularize) but I don't have the book yet, so I don't know how the stacking is supposed to work (as a trigger to start? as a reward? as an envelope (half before / half after?) )

I read "The power of habit" by Charles Duhigg Lots of very informative "how habits are formed" information (both "it's that simple" and "it's that hard" ) A habit is what you do for a payoff. You perceived it as positive in some way at the beginning (like comfort food making you feel better). Is it still providing the positive payout you want, or can you find a substitute that gives the same sense of reward?

The book also helps lead to examining what the true trigger of a habit is. For example, "why am I REALLY going to the caff at 3:00 for a muffin every day?" Is it because I am hungry, or want to interact with others or crave a change of scenery? Different alternate strategies will work better when you understand what kind of reward you are actually looking for.

And there is @MaltedTea 's "Eat The Frog" (which I will leave to her to explain)
  • thabit11
    thabit11 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    The only information I know in getting new habits, is to do this habit continually for 6 months, then your body will get accustomed to do it. I'm trying this out now, I have counted the months since I have started exercising, about to finish my fourth, and I'm really close to finish my sixth month on sleeping at the same time. I truly hope this information is correct, so I can finally have a much healthier lifestyle.
  • TheresaM787
    TheresaM787 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned the concept of "stacking habits" (pairing something you already do and enjoy with something you want to regularize) but I don't have the book yet, so I don't know how the stacking is supposed to work (as a trigger to start? as a reward? as an envelope (half before / half after?) )

I read "The power of habit" by Charles Duhigg Lots of very informative "how habits are formed" information (both "it's that simple" and "it's that hard" ) A habit is what you do for a payoff. You perceived it as positive in some way at the beginning (like comfort food making you feel better). Is it still providing the positive payout you want, or can you find a substitute that gives the same sense of reward?

The book also helps lead to examining what the true trigger of a habit is. For example, "why am I REALLY going to the caff at 3:00 for a muffin every day?" Is it because I am hungry, or want to interact with others or crave a change of scenery? Different alternate strategies will work better when you understand what kind of reward you are actually looking for.

And there is @MaltedTea 's "Eat The Frog" (which I will leave to her to explain)

I read Atomic Habits and also posted about his idea of stacking habits. The way, I remember, he explained it was that you take something you enjoy, that you always do (for me it’s morning coffee) and then pair that with a habit you want to create (for me it’s workout). Right after my morning coffee, I workout.

He also said something like, there are no bad workouts, only skipped workouts. Even if I don’t have the stamina to give it my all, I do however much I can. Just don’t skip it.

My workouts are only 30 bike and 10 arms. They are not intense- burning less than 300 calories. If you are doing strenuous exercise, rest days are needed. Then, you would replace a rest day with something less physically demanding (stretching and balance yoga poses, meditation, leisurely stroll....). You just want to keep the habit stacked. Coffee then workout (strenuous or not).

I hope that helps. Good luck!
  • mshawski
    mshawski Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    @BMcC9 - I was dropping over here to bring the book conversation to this discussion thread and the book conversation is already here! This makes me oddly happy. Lol.

Atomic habits is on my to read list. Historically I’m a fan of authors like Neil Gaiman, Charles DeLint, Kelley Armstrong, etc. so I guess more fantasy but not as much high fantasy? I want to venture outside my comfort zone a little, but I don’t want anything... heavy. I want to escape, not have all the feelings... that I then find myself eating. Lol.

❤️📚
  • Chinkiri
    Chinkiri Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    @BMcC9 I am a big reader too. Not much into self help type books any more, since I used to review and sell them by mail order in the last century. I read mostly fiction; during Lockdown, I fear, fairly escapist, like Scandinavian thrillers. My kids love Neil Gaiman, but I could barely finish American Gods. Because of my background in French and English Language and Literature I have read most 'Classics', but would enjoy recommendations! Currently reading a futuristic thriller recommended by my youngest son and also Frantzen, 'The Corrections'. I am a member of a Book Club with a few American members who help keep me updated on US fiction... Canadian suggestions?
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Current-day Mystery with the slightest dab of magic: Heather Blake's Wishcraft Mystery series (don't HAVE to be read in order, but village inter-relationships evolve over time that reflect a deeper story arc)

Current-day Mystery with no magic, but a Maine Coon cat (who is only a cat) : Miranda James Cat in the Stacks series (quite interchangeable if read out of order - 50ish widdower's children get married and first grandbabies born as series moves along)

Courtroom drama with recurring dogs: David Rosenfelt's Andy Carpenter series (suggest you start with #6, Play Dead , my personal favourite) VERY interchangeable. The only thing you get from reading them in order is the gradual evolution of relationship between Andy and Laurie, and (later) adopted son growing up.

A fantastic read if you like a more historical setting is Sherry Thomas The Magnolia Sword (a version of the ballad of Mulan set in 484 A,D, China (and also a very interesting comparison with the new live-action Disney version of Mulan if it is accessible to you)

Anything by Sherry Thomas is great.

I know some other good historical-setting authors - some written more currently and "set in the past" and some "current when written" like Georgette Heyer's mysteries that were written in the 1930's - 40's.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    See my March 2 entry about availability of "Surrounded by idiots" in pdf form if enough people want to look at that one.
  • Chinkiri
    Chinkiri Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Thanks @BMcC9 Investigating on my Amazon account. I absolutely love series, get into binge-reading...
  • Bovaryoo
    Bovaryoo Posts: 1,374 Member
    Options
    @BMcC9 I also read and enjoyed The Power of Habits. I'm about halfway through Atomic Habits. It's taking me awhile to get through because you really have to stop and reflect about your daily routines and where to stack new habits/break old habits. I'm really enjoying it though (even though I keep cheating on it with other books, lol). I also really like how he talks about shifting your perception of yourself to who you want to be and then backing it up with daily routines so you'll believe it.

@mshawski I love fantasy too! George RR Martin, Patrick Rothfuss, Liani Taylor, Brandon Sanderson, and Neil Gaiman are some of my favorites.

I also love graphic novels, dystopian fiction, fiction, mythology, and fairy tale retellings. I also have a couple of classics I re-read nearly every year (Jane Austen, N. Hawthorne, Homer). I also love cookbooks - just going through them and marking recipes, even if I never make them. My newest one is Mandy's Gourmet Salads and I'm making her Waldorf Salad today for lunch.

On the fitness side, I recently read Roar she talks about fitness for women and how to combat shifting hormones. She makes a really strong case for women strength training. However, I don't agree with everything she says. For instance, she is not a fan of calorie counting and I've realized I will need to continue to do this once I hit maintenance. I've lost weight twice before and it is just too easy for me to slowly increase portions and too many snacks start creeping in.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    Avid reader too. My favourite author is Matthew Reilly. His best is series that starts with Seven ancient wonders (kind of Indiana Jones ish). Also do loads of the young adult fantasy stuff. Terry Pratchet is epic. Just finished Discovery of Witches series which I really enjoyed.
  • megmo20007
    megmo20007 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    @boyaryoo - I love fantasy too. I've read everything on your list and LOVE Liani Taylor. Have you read anything by V.E. Schwab? Her Darker Shade of Magic series is wonderful!
  • megmo20007
    megmo20007 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    @mshawskimshawski if you like fantasy and aren't really in the mood for high fantasy, I've loved everything by V.E. Schwab and her Darker Shade of Magic series is oh so good. Have you read Leigh Bardugo? Her Six of Crows duology is like a fantasy heist story and it's awesome. She also wrote Shadow of Bone series that's about to be turned into a TV series on Netflix.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    If you like retelling / remixing of fairy tales, you can't do much better than Mercedes Lackey's Tales of the Five Hundred Kingdoms series (DO start with #1 The Fairy Godmother if at all possible. after that, the order is irrelevant.) And her Elemental Masters series is also great for "magic among us" in fairly-recent history (settings from 1880's and 1890's to through WW1.) Order of publication not strictly chronological. Some support characters from one book turn up as a major character in another. "The Firebird" a bit "Beauty and the Beast" ish is a stand-alone and takes place in the vicinity of San Francisco just after the start of the 1900's (Caruso is singing, and the big showdown takes place during the famous earthquake). Most of the other Elemental Masters books take place in Great Britain and the characters are more inter-related.