What's on your mind today?

Options

Replies

• Bovaryoo
    Bovaryoo Posts: 1,374 Member
    Options
    @megmo20007 I actually have the V.E. Schwab series but haven't read it yet. I did read the first two books in her YA/Children's series City of Ghosts, which was enjoyable. I also agree about Leigh Bardugo Six of Crows and Shadow Bones, really enjoyed both.

@BMcC9 I don't think I've read any Mercedes Lackey, so I'll have to check her out.

@Dory_42 Yes, Terry Pratchett's books are awesome although there are a ton by him that I haven't read. I thought the production of Good Omen's was fantastic so well cast. Probably my favorite books by him are Mort and Small Gods, which was the first book I ever read by him.
  • mshawski
    mshawski Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    @BMcC9, @Bovaryoo, @megmo20007, @Dory_42 - Thank you for the recommendations! I will need to check some of those out! Its so easy to just scroll utter nonsense on my phone for an hour before bed instead of reading, and it's a habit I need to change for sure.

Roar sounds interesting too.

One of the 2 books I actually read in the last year was Discovery of Witches. I also liked it!

• mshawski
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017, @biketheworld , @ginadomaszewicz - tagging you as the book discussion is continuing here and you seemed interested in it. 😊
  • mshawski
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    If you like retelling / remixing of fairy tales, you can't do much better than Mercedes Lackey's Tales of the Five Hundred Kingdoms series (DO start with #1 The Fairy Godmother if at all possible. after that, the order is irrelevant.) And her Elemental Masters series is also great for "magic among us" in fairly-recent history (settings from 1880's and 1890's to through WW1.) Order of publication not strictly chronological. Some support characters from one book turn up as a major character in another. "The Firebird" a bit "Beauty and the Beast" ish is a stand-alone and takes place in the vicinity of San Francisco just after the start of the 1900's (Caruso is singing, and the big showdown takes place during the famous earthquake). Most of the other Elemental Masters books take place in Great Britain and the characters are more inter-related.

I do love me a good retold fairytale. I love Robin McKinley for this very reason. I will definitely look into these. Thank you! ❤️
  • TheresaM787
    TheresaM787 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    We just purchased two Neil Gaiman books- Neverwhere and Coralline. Unfortunately, neither of my kids are interested.

I just began Beneath a Scarlet Sky. Very good so far.
  • mshawski
    Options
    We just purchased two Neil Gaiman books- Neverwhere and Coralline. Unfortunately, neither of my kids are interested.

I just began Beneath a Scarlet Sky. Very good so far.

Neverwhere is one of my all time favorites!
  • TheresaM787
    TheresaM787 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    @mshawski
    Thank you! I’ll read that one next.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    mshawski wrote: »

I do love me a good retold fairytale. I love Robin McKinley for this very reason. I will definitely look into these. Thank you! ❤️
    Robin McKinley has been a long-time favourite of mine too.

How about retold fairytale in a steampunk setting? Nancy Campbell Allen. Beauty and the Clockwork Beast (first) and Kiss of the Spindle (retold Sleeping Beauty) second . Could be read as a stand-alone, but tangent back-story connections from Kiss refer to Beauty.

I hope she has written or will write more. but only these two were in my public library e-borrow collection.
  • mshawski
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    mshawski wrote: »

Robin McKinley has been a long-time favourite of mine too.

How about retold fairytale in a steampunk setting? Nancy Campbell Allen. Beauty and the Clockwork Beast (first) and Kiss of the Spindle (retold Sleeping Beauty) second . Could be read as a stand-alone, but tangent back-story connections from Kiss refer to Beauty.

I hope she has written or will write more. but only these two were in my public library e-borrow collection.

@BMcC9 - Deerskin is my favorite McKinley. Landed on Mercedes Lackey Fairy Godmother. Thank you! ❤️
  • BMcC9
    edited March 2021
    Options
    AAAAKKKKKKK!!!!!! (sorta)
    • LOVE talking books
    • have been a "bookaholic" practically from birth (if you count picture-books)
    • am TRYING to shift away from tablet-based non-work activities (library e-lending collection and faux-cross stitch after a hard day's sitting in front of my double monitors for work (through a cold winter) is why I am no longer in maintenance).
    • discovered last night that the e-lending collection has a WHOLE BUNCH of Mercedes Lackey Elemental Masters titles I have never read .........
    • Sherlock Holmes is real - not a literary construct as many in Victorian London presumed. He is also exactly LIKE the literary construct (ultra-rational; "magic is either misdirection/trickery or twaddle"; Dr Watson (now married and living upstairs in 221C Baker Street) is an Air Master and his wife Mary is a Water Master ............... A Study in Sable (never read), and A Scandal in Battersea (a Christmas present two years back)

Then there is Steadfast (as in The Steadfast Tin Soldier) No Sherlock in this one, but a one-legged veteran of the Boer War .... and some of the music-hall "theatre magic" (from the audience's perspective) actually IS elemental magic .... also never knew this one existed (similar back-stage type setting as Reserved for the Cat (as in a cross between Dick Wittington and Puss-in-Boots but the cat is guiding Ninette.) A different theatre & troupe / possibly a different city, but RFTC is a personal all-time-favourite of this series.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    I am now in my early 60's so "move more" is more and more important in the grand scheme of things ..... (wails: "but discovered last night that the e-lending collection has a WHOLE BUNCH of Mercedes Lackey Elemental Masters titles I have never even HEARD of!!!!!!! )

AAAAKKKKKKK!!!!!! (sorta)
  • Chinkiri
    Chinkiri Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Aaaagh - so much to read!
  • Chinkiri
    Options
    Can you cope with a new thread? This one's about baking. How does one not end up eating all the beautiful cakes and loaves we have been baking? Some of us love baking, but it's all those calories, flour, sugar, butter, eggs ...
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Introduce a new main idea ANY time! (i'm not a baker myself, apart from my breadmaking machine - but others will have discovered strategies, I am sure!)
  • Chinkiri
    Options
    @BMcC9 But how do you stop stuffing yourself with all that lovely, freshly made warm bread? The smell alone is too tempting! Your strategies?
  • thabit11
    thabit11 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I like baking as well! But I only bake occasionally. Since I started dieting, I have only done cinnamon rolls, 300 calories each. I took one piece daily, couldn't finish it off, even with family's help. It was difficult time, those 300 calories cut made my dieting harder. So, no baking after that time.

@Chinkiri I saw your post about freezing cake, do you freez it as batter or after baking, if after, won't the cake become wet?

I want to have pancake , but the huge amount of batter always makes me hesitate.
  • Chinkiri
    Options
    @thabit11 I hardly bake any more either these days, but when all my Mirabelle plums ripen at the same time in July / August, I get fed up with making jam, especially in 40° + temperatures in the kitchen, so I made Mirabelle cake, like apple cake, but with plums. I sliced the cakes and wrapped the portions in clingfilm, froze them and they were fine defrosted. Lovely a little warm!
  • BMcC9
    Options
    thabit11 wrote: »
    I like baking as well! But I only bake occasionally. Since I started dieting, I have only done cinnamon rolls, 300 calories each. I took one piece daily, couldn't finish it off, even with family's help. It was difficult time, those 300 calories cut made my dieting harder. So, no baking after that time.

@Chinkiri I saw your post about freezing cake, do you freez it as batter or after baking, if after, won't the cake become wet?

I want to have pancake , but the huge amount of batter always makes me hesitate.

how many people are you serving the pancakes to? I can send proportions for one-meal's worth for 2, or for more. My MIL's recipe and is great.
  • Chinkiri
    Options
    @thabit11 I make pancakes just for myself, with 1 egg and about 40g of flour. Makes maybe 3 pancakes ...
  • thabit11
    thabit11 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    @Chinkiri @BMcC9 If I do it by an old recipe: 1 egg, 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of flour. It does give me many pancakes, I'm not sure about the number, so I don't know the right proportion for one serving. I sometime do it with pancake flour instead of regular flour.