Leslie Sansone April 2021 Walk Challenge

Options

Replies

• texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    @zichab your miles are certainly adding up quickly! Good for you! Thank you for the encouragement 🐞💗! I still can't do the mileage in the same manner that I used to do, and so it is easy to get discouraged. Counting time has definitely helped a lot with that. I also like how you mix together walking mileage and WAH mileage!! Go you!

@AnnofB I always like to read what was in your exercise plan! Always done well 🧘‍♀️🏋️‍♀️🏃‍♀️ 😅 !

My goal for this month will once again be to keep moving by using the rebounder, walking (mostly) indoors, using the Gazelle, or working outdoors🌻 🍂. I'm also adding in, only when appropriate, time spent working or deep cleaning, only if it is something more physically active/ or challenging for me.

April 1: 2.5 hours cleaning, including mopping all the floors
    April 2: 2 hours outdoors & indoors working and/or cleaning
    April 3: 45 minutes indoor walking

April 4: Rest Day!
    April 5: 60 minutes: gazelle, rebounder, indoor walking. >2 hours deep cleaning
    April 6: 3+ hours outdoors work
    April 7: 60 minutes: gazelle, rebounder, indoor walking. >1 hour deep cleaning
    April 8: 3+ hours errand and grocery shopping
    April 9: 45 minutes: gazelle, rebounder, indoor walking
    April 10: mostly a rest day, did some lighter cleaning

April 11: Rest Day!
    April 12: 55 minutes: gazelle, rebounder, indoor walking

🤠🌺
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Thanks @texasgardnr for asking about my arm. It's still causing some issues. I'm sure things would be better if I didn't use it at all for awhile, but that's almost impossible for me with work, grocery shopping, etc. It is better than it was, but I can't handle much weight in that arm.

Funny you should mention this @zichab - I have not injured my lower body, but I have noticed something else. As you said, there are some intense leg exercises...well, I usually avoid the mirror, but happened to look into one as I was getting dressed a few days ago and my thighs (quads) have increased in size from all the squats and lower body weight moves! This was not my intention!! I knew my pants were getting tighter, but just didn't connect it. I've been focusing on lower body for over a month and using weights with a lot of that. The workouts which are called "muscle building" really do build up muscle. However, since I'm going for strong, but lean muscles, I'm switching back to Pilates. I don't have the bone structure or frame that looks good with bulky muscles, it's not for me!

By the way, Pilates is killer when you haven't done it in a while! Can't believe I used to think it was easy!
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,453 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    April-3 miles average/day =90 miles for the month

April 1-Vivofit tracked 1.6 miles=1.6 total miles
    April 2-Vivofit tracked 1.2 miles=2.8 total miles
    April 3-Vivofit tracked .8 miles=3.6 total miles
    April 4-WAH-5K with a Twist-3 miles=6.6 total miles
    -Vivofit tracked 1.9 miles=8.5 total miles
    April 5-Vivofit tracked 1.3 miles=9.8 miles total
    April 6-Vivofit tracked 1.9 miles=11.7 total miles
    April 7-WAH-3 Mile Heart Healthy walk=14.7 total miles
    -Vivofit tracked 1.7 miles=16.4 total miles
    April 8-WAH-5K with a Twist-3 miles=19.4 total miles
    -Vivofit tracked 1.4 miles=20.8 total miles
    April 9-Vivofit tracked 1.9 miles=22.7 total miles
    April 10-Vivofit tracked 1.9 miles=24.6 total miles
    April 11-WAH iWalk Strong-3 miles=27.6 total miles
    -Vivofit tracked-1.2 miles=28.8 total miles
    April 12- WAH-3 Mile heart Healthy Walk=31.8 total miles
    -Vivofit tracked 1.1 miles=32.9 total miles
    April 13-WAP-3 Mile Brisk Walk=34.8 total miles

@VeggieGirlforLife Oh NO!!! :laugh: Isn't that just the way!! I used to think Leslie's weight (strength) workout on Walk it Off in 30 Days was not really much of a strength workout and in the 30 Days, I did not lose many pounds. :grumble: However, my clothes got all baggy and I also noticed that in my thighs were swimming in the legs of my jeans! I dropped a whole size in one month! It looks like it is a fine line between strength and muscle building workouts! :wink:

@texasgardnr I need to track Leslie miles and my own daily walking miles separately because my stride and Leslie's miles are not equal. Her 3 mile workouts vary from 2.5miles -3.1 miles for my Garmin depending on how much walking verses other moves she uses. Since I do not want to change my stride metric on the Garmin for normal walking (which I do much more of in a day) I just use Leslie's "beats per minute" miles and subtract them from my daily total. It's probably a bit off, but not enough for my OCD to kick in! :laugh:

I need to remind everyone of something we all know, but forget sometimes! I have been having a back issue while doing Leslie's walks and it was concerning because although I have not been consistent with my walking, I have been active enough that I should not have been experiencing this back issue. This morning, I unpacked the box with all my workout clothes in it (YEAH!!!!) and the new pair of walking sneakers I bought a couple of months before we moved was in the box. I used them today and .... NO BACK PAIN!! The fitness industry says to change our workout shoes regularly and I am living proof that they are right. Date your workout shoes and remember to change them as soon as they feel worn! Today's workout felt so good in my new shoes!!! :+1:

Walk Strong Everyone! :bigsmile:
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    I have been MIA because I have been slacking and didn't want to admit it to everyone. But I knew I needed to come back and post what I have (and have not) done so far:

April 1: 40 minutes elliptical (2 miles?)
    April 2: none
    April 3: yard work
    April 4: yard work
    April 5: none
    April 6: none
    April 7: none
    April 8: none
    April 9: none
    April 10: none
    April 11:none
    April 12: none
    April 13: 2 miles
    April 14: TBD

APRIL GOAL: 60 MILES
    Miles so far: 4
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    Options
    Hi @zichab You make a good point - there does seem to be a difference between strength and muscle building. So tell me more about Walk it Off in 30 Days - this is one of the few Leslie DVDs I don't own. Did you do the cardio and the strength parts of the DVD for 30 days? It sounds like you had some success with it, so I'd like to know how you used this workout and also what kind of weights you used - if you don't mind my asking! :)

I think part of the reason why I was seeing muscle building was also due to dumbbell weight increases which HASfit encourages you to do. It might be better for my arms, too because I'm pretty sure that's how I got hurt by lifting too much weight and using heavier weights for goblet or front loaded squats and deadlifts. I know a lot of people can't stand Tracy Anderson, but she may have a point in using lighter weights for more lean muscles.
  • zichab
    Options
    April-3Burn 30 miles average/day =90 miles for the month

-Vivofit tracked 1 mile=35.8 total milesl
    April 14-Just Walk0Walk Off the Pounds-3 Mile Walk=38.8 total miles

@VeggieGirlforLife Oh my gosh, I do not mind you asking at all!! Walk it Off in 30 Days is a unique work out for Leslie. She has a 30 minute strength work out where you do squats, lunges, rows, chest press etc and a 30 minute walking workout. You alternate them for 30 days and the idea is that you Burn for 30 minutes with the walk and then the next day Firm for 30 minutes with the strength work out. It works that is for sure. I did not exceed 10 pounds (i.e. carrying 20 pounds) for the leg workouts, 8 pounds for the triceps work outs and 12 pounds for the chest exercises. As you get stronger, she suggests using heavier weights, but 12 pounds is about as much as I can hold in my hands since they are not all that strong.

What most work out gurus say is that lighter weights and more repetition builds lean muscles while heaver weight for less reps builds muscles. I am not familiar with Tracy Anderson but I will look her up before tomorrow, but it sounds like she is in the "build lean muscle" camp which, honestly, is where Leslie is too. Hope all this helps!

• VeggieGirlforLife
    Options
    April Goal: 140 Miles plus (at least) 5 days strength training per week

April 1: 6 Miles ~ 4 Fast Miles Walk Slim + 2 Miles Woman's Walk + 20 min HASfit biceps (modified with light weights for injured arm)
    April 2: 5 Boosted Miles + 17 min HASfit legs
    April 3: 4 Mile Super Challenge + 38 min HASfit muscle building strength for legs w/weights
    April 4: 4 Miles of Ultimate 5 Day + 30 min HASfit butt & legs strength
    April 5: 6 Miles ~ 5 Mile Fat Burning Walk + 1 Mile Heart Healthy + 38 min HASfit muscle building strength for legs w/weights
    April 6: 6 Miles ~ 3 Fast Miles + 3 Miles Slim & Sleek + 19 min Winsor Pilates lower body strength

April 7: 4 Mile Super Challenge + 2 Miles The Big Burn + 20 min Winsor Pilates full body strength
    April 8: 5 Boosted Miles + 20 min HASfit biceps (modified with light weights for injured arm)
    April 9: 6 Miles ~ 2 Heart Healthy Miles + 4 Mile Super Walk + 19 min Winsor Pilates buns & thighs sculpting
    April 10: 4 Miles WATP Express + 20 min Winsor Pilates full body strength
    April 11: 4 Fast Miles Walk Slim + 19 min Winsor Pilates buns & thighs sculpting
    April 12: 6 Miles ~ 3 Miles WATP Express + 3 Miles Slim & Sleek + 20 min Winsor Pilates full body strength
    April 13: 5 Fat Burning Miles + 19 min Winsor Pilates buns & thighs sculpting
    April 14: 5 Miles Ultimate 5 Day + 20 min Winsor Pilates full body strength

70 out of 140 miles
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    Options
    zichab wrote: »

@VeggieGirlforLife Oh my gosh, I do not mind you asking at all!! Walk it Off in 30 Days is a unique work out for Leslie. She has a 30 minute strength work out where you do squats, lunges, rows, chest press etc and a 30 minute walking workout. You alternate them for 30 days and the idea is that you Burn for 30 minutes with the walk and then the next day Firm for 30 minutes with the strength work out. It works that is for sure. I did not exceed 10 pounds (i.e. carrying 20 pounds) for the leg workouts, 8 pounds for the triceps work outs and 12 pounds for the chest exercises. As you get stronger, she suggests using heavier weights, but 12 pounds is about as much as I can hold in my hands since they are not all that strong.

What most work out gurus say is that lighter weights and more repetition builds lean muscles while heaver weight for less reps builds muscles. I am not familiar with Tracy Anderson but I will look her up before tomorrow, but it sounds like she is in the "build lean muscle" camp which, honestly, is where Leslie is too. Hope all this helps!

@zichab Thank you so much for the info! I will definitely be looking into that workout. It sounds fun, challenging and effective which is a home run! I see some used copies of that DVD on eBay, I may have to go ahead and order it soon! Hopefully my arm will heal up soon and I'll be able to do the strength portion of the workout. Right now I can only lift a 3 pound weight in the injured arm and I don't have full range of motion with it.

Tracy Anderson is all about lighter weights and LOTS of reps. I like her workouts, I have had great results in my arms following her workouts even though some people on MyFitnessPal discussion forums have let me have it and told me I can't "tone" certain muscle groups. Well, I'm here to tell you that it works. I have TA Method Mat Workout and Precision Toning. Some of her arm exercises look easy, but she's all about working muscles to fatigue and targeting accessory muscles. Now that I talk about this, I know I need to add her back in to my routines.

I got hooked on HASfit because it was giving me a lot of confidence with lifting and he used to give you an estimated calorie burn. With Pilates and mat workouts, I have no idea what my calorie burn is, but at this point, I'm more interested in strength and toning. I'll use cardio for calorie burn.

• Becoming_A_Butterfly
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Tracy Anderson is all about lighter weights and LOTS of reps. I like her workouts, I have had great results in my arms following her workouts even though some people on MyFitnessPal discussion forums have let me have it and told me I can't "tone" certain muscle groups. Well, I'm here to tell you that it works. I have TA Method Mat Workout and Precision Toning. Some of her arm exercises look easy, but she's all about working muscles to fatigue and targeting accessory muscles. Now that I talk about this, I know I need to add her back in to my routines.

I have a few of Jari Love's Get Ripped workout DVDs, and she takes the same approach: moderate weights but tons of reps. I definitely feel her workouts, and they work (when I actually do them!) I will take real-world evidence over the self-proclaimed experts on the MFP forums :)
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Options
    April 14: 1 mile: 1 Mile Sports Inspired Walk

Miles so far: 5
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    Options

I have a few of Jari Love's Get Ripped workout DVDs, and she takes the same approach: moderate weights but tons of reps. I definitely feel her workouts, and they work (when I actually do them!) I will take real-world evidence over the self-proclaimed experts on the MFP forums :)

@RisingAboveIt Agreed! When I hear from someone who has direct experience with a certain trainer or workout and saw good results, that is when I pay attention. I have not heard of Jari Love, but I will look into her, too. Thanks for the tip! :)
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    @VeggieGirlforLife I am echoing @zichab' :Oh NO!!! 😱 . I actually never thought much about that there was a difference between lean muscle and muscle building workouts! Good idea switching back to Pilates.

I'm going to send you a private message.

@zichab That makes sense why you're logging like you are doing. I just thought that you were keeping track of different mileage separately. Also thanks for the reminder about not keeping shoes forever. That is so true. And thanks for the explanation on what the difference is for working out for lean muscle vs muscle building workouts. I appreciate that.

@RisingAboveIt I am so glad that you came back regardless of mileage or why. If you look at past months you will see that many of us have at one time or another been MIA for one reason or another. Sometimes for no real reason. Any day can be a start over 💗🌹 .

My goal for this month will once again be to keep moving by using the rebounder, walking (mostly) indoors, using the Gazelle, or working outdoors🌻 🍂. I'm also adding in, only when appropriate, time spent working or deep cleaning, only if it is something more physically active/ or challenging for me.

April 13: 65 minutes: gazelle, rebounder, indoor walking
    April 14: 55 minutes: gazelle, rebounder, indoor walking
    April 15: 30 minutes: gazelle, indoor walking. 1 1/2 hours errands/ grocery store

🤠🌺
  • zichab
    Options
    April-3Burn 30 miles average/day =90 miles for the month

-Vivofit tracked 1.2 miles=40.0 total miles
    April 15-Vivofit tracked 1.2 miles=41.2 total miles
    April 16-WAH 3 Mile Weight Loss Walk with Mary Kay!!! :smile: - 44.2 total miles

@RisingAboveIt and @VeggieGirlforLife -There are a lot of body builders on MFP and it took me a long time to realize that. When they dismiss non-heavy lifters with comments like "pink weights are not going to do it for you" or "you need more than 5 pounds if you expect any change" etc, it is a dead give away that they are serious lifters. I have no doubt that many of them are experts in the weight lifting field, but not all of us are interested in going to a gym 4 days a week to lift 150 pounds in a cage! I lost 100 pounds and with Leslie's and Jessica Smith's Walk At Home workouts and dropped from a size 6 to a size 4 when I added Leslie's strength workouts so strength training with lighter weights works and it does not require killing yourself to do it. Like Leslie says, you work the muscle until it tires and then you stop and it does not matter if you are using a stretchy band or 5 pound weight or the floor, as long as the muscle is fatigued, it will change. Do not let the hard core lifters discourage you. :heart:

• Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Options
    April 14: 1 mile: 1 Mile Sports Inspired Walk
    April 15: none
    April 16: 3 miles

Miles so far: 8
  • zichab
    Options
    April- 30 miles average/day =90 miles for the month

April 16-WAH 3 Mile Weight Loss Walk with Mary Kay!!! :smile: - 44.2 total miles
    -Vivifit tracked .7 miles=44.9 total miles
    April 17-WAH-5 K with a Twist-3miles=47.2 total miles

• zichab
    Options

-Vivofit tracked .8 miles=48.0 total miles
    April 18-WAH-iWalk Strong-3 miles=51.0 total miles

• VeggieGirlforLife
    Options
    @texasgardnr I know! I am learning so much although I wish I knew all of this BEFORE I started with muscle building exercise! :laugh:

@zichab Thank you for the reminder about what Leslie has said regarding exercising the muscle to fatigue and then stopping and it will change. I needed to hear that. You've definitely convinced me to keep walking and to add in more of Leslie's style of strength training. And I like my pink weights!!! :lol::wink:
  • zichab
    edited April 2021
    Options

-Vivofit tracked .8 miles=48.0 total miles
    April 18-WAH-iWalk Strong-3 miles=51.0 total miles
    -Vivofit tracked 1.1 miles=52.1 total miles
    April 19-rest day-Vivofit tracked 3.6 miles=55.7 total miles
    April 20-WAP-Ultimate Collection-3 Brisk Miles=58.7 total miles

@VeggieGirlforLife- Awe, you are so welcome. :heart: I used to belong to a couple of the weight lifting groups on MFP in the beginning when I had no idea there were different ways to work muscles and I'd always get annoyed at the "pink weights" comments. Weights come in a multitude of colors so a "pink weight" could be 50 pounds!!! Mine are pink, yellow, orange, gray and one pair is a dreadful neon green!!!! :noway: I order(buy) them for their weight not their color for heaven's sake. Having said that though, I HATE those metal looking ones! :laugh:

• texasgardnr
    Options
    Yep, I also like my pink and colored weights. Besides looking nicer they certainly feel better to hold than the metal ones.

April 13: 65 minutes: gazelle, rebounder, indoor walking
    April 14: 55 minutes: gazelle, rebounder, indoor walking
    April 15: 30 minutes: gazelle, indoor walking. 1 1/2 hours errands/ grocery store
    April 16: 50 minutes: gazelle, indoor walking
    April 17: 30 minutes: indoor walking

April 18: Rest Day!
    April 19: 55 minutes: gazelle, rebounder, includes 22 minutes LS Walk the Walk 📀
    April 20: 60 minutes: gazelle, rebounder, a little yard work

🤠🌺
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,588 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    The two strength and one yoga workout thing is working for me, so I'm going with that again this month.

4/1.....35 minutes of 3 Fast & Fun Miles
    4/2.....30 minutes of Strength & Stamina
    4/3.....30 minutes of 5 Mix & Max Miles
    4/4.....Rest day... 40 minutes gardening
    4/5.....42 minutes of 6 Mile Mix with a stretchy band, 38 minutes of Burn to the Beat
    4/6.....34 minutes of 5 Miracle Miles
    4/7.....14 minutes of 3 strength segments and 34 minutes of walking of The 5 Day Walk Plan

4/8.....Rest day
    4/9.....35 minutes of Strength & Stamina and yoga
    4/10...37 minutes of the 5 Day Walk Plan
    4/11...25 minutes of Candlelight Yoga, 22 minutes of Walk of Fat Fast
    4/12...38 minutes of 3 Fast & Fun Miles
    4/13...32 minutes of Strength
    4/14...35 minutes of 4 Miracle Miles

4/15...38 minutes of Strength & Stamina, 30 minutes of 4 Miracle Miles
    4/16...Rest day
    4/17...23 minutes of the strength works from the 5 Day Walk Plan and 29 minutes of the walking portion
    4/18...21 minutes of Candlelight Yoga
    4/19...32 minutes of Walk Off Fat Fast
    4/20...30 minutes of 2 Miracle Miles
    4/21...43 minutes of Burn to the Beat